+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: STUXNET, I know you guys love new stuff to worry about

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default STUXNET, I know you guys love new stuff to worry about

So I think this is some interesting tech news regarding new 'improvements' on using computers as weapons of warfare... giving Iran's nuclear plants a virus for example...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100921/ts_csm/327178

Not that I worry about such things any more, but I know there are those here that do.

No dates given I'm afraid.

Why any government would want to do anything as silly as shut down a nuclear plant by infecting the 'control' system is beyond me. But it's a great story.

I know you like these

Peace and love

K

2. Link to Post #2
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: I know you guys love new stuff to worry about...

3. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Hmm ... here's an interesting coincidence... only days later we discover infections on the staff PCs at Iran's facility...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11414483

Do two and two make 4 here ?

K

4. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Kulapops (here)
    Hmm ... here's an interesting coincidence... only days later we discover infections on the staff PCs at Iran's facility...

K
    seems that way doesnt it?
    coincidence? or not?
    m

5. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Kulapops (here)

K
    Yes, good math. Its always a plus to be able to tie the propaganda machine with the war machine, see who spewing out the BS.

6. Link to Post #6
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 times in 408 posts

Somewhere in here, in a link (from a link), is a story about how the Chinese hacked into US computers through the electrical grid, if I remember well...
    The Chinese started up the US computers and left a message for them on the screens......

Don't ask me where it is exactly cause its bee a long time since I read it, but the story glued itself in my mind......

This place was of the grid except for the electricity, the Chinese used that to get acces to the US computers.....

7. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

They currently use electricity to transport broadband internet around UK homes (you can buy special plugs). BT do this... it's easy enough to modulate a signal on top of the power. However, you'd need something to demodulate it the other end.... Maybe a spy could plug something in somewhere...

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/broa...owerlines.html (ignore the vid and scroll down for explanation)

8. Link to Post #8
    Poland Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 times in 244 posts

Actually, it might be much more easier.
    Where is most of electronics produced ?
    Where does 90% of rare elements needed to produce electronics come from?

China?

Easier way is to create some special components that will do other things than specified.
    Another way, within realm of known physics principles is to create component mirrors : two identical elements made of quantum entangled materials. Sure- sounds awfully science fiction- but with enough time, money and manpower- it's doable. China has plenty of either.

The easiest answer is ofcourse - they need not to plant anything, gates have been open because too many people profit from increased tension, and subsequent spending on stiffer security procedures and bigger security staff. This is the horse I would put money on.

9. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Default Israel attacks Iran with Computer Virus?

"If you wanna get laid, go to college"
    "If you want a education, go to a library"

Frank Zappa

10. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Default Who, or maybe WHAT, is behind the Stuxnet worm?

September 29, 2010 - 3:19 P.M.
    Who, or maybe WHAT, is behind the S t u x n et worm?

http://blogs.computerworld.com/17059...urce=rss_blogs

Stuxnet' computer worm - 24 Sept. 2010

Are Publicly stated is that Iran, Indonesia and India are now attack.

The End exe of the malware is said to be unknown.

Video interview with Symentec Boss
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=S6bG8...layer_embedded
    Last edited by Snowy Owl; 29th September 2010 at 20:43. Reason: Addentum
    The economy is to serve the people, not the people to serve the economy -- Manfred Max-Neef

An Old Spanish proverb that says “civilization and anarchy are only seven meals apart''.

Un Vieux proverbe Espagnol qui dit ''la civilisation et l'anarchie ne sont qu'ŕ 7 repas d'écart''.

11. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Default Re: Who, or maybe WHAT, is behind the S t u x n et worm?

News Update: Stuxnet Cyber Worm May Infect Iran's Nuclear Program
    from Trade the Trennd.com

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jVuiXgNrGWE&NR=1
    The economy is to serve the people, not the people to serve the economy -- Manfred Max-Neef

An Old Spanish proverb that says “civilization and anarchy are only seven meals apart''.

Un Vieux proverbe Espagnol qui dit ''la civilisation et l'anarchie ne sont qu'ŕ 7 repas d'écart''.

12. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Alex Jones response on stunnet

Believe this is to allowed passing Cyber Security Act to protect US Infrastructures, then describe the target was Iran done by US or .il

Stuxnet False Flag Launched For Web Takeover! (Alex Jones Trails)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=AYB-y...eature=related

¤=[Post Update]=¤

The attack of India does surprised me unless the Chinese/India Confrontation was more intense than perceived.

Again that wait and see mode

13. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,835 times in 3,731 posts

> Who, or maybe WHAT, is behind the S t u x n et worm?

The usual suspects. State sponsored hack, at the behest of dark forces with the usual fear agenda.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

14. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,150 times in 501 posts

Who stands to gain....from the attack itself...from the mindset that the attack creates....from the actions that will be demanded by the powers that be....who's agenda moves forward because of this....???There you have perpe traitor...!
    Blessings

15. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Aleks
    Kaspersky Lab Expert
    Posted September 26, 18:28 GMT
    zhttp://www.securelist.com/en/blog/325/Myrtus_and_Guava_the_epidemic_the_trends_the_numbers

Quote Over the last few days, Stuxnet has been covered extensively in the mass media. And it's been covered differently by different sources. "Iran", "Bushehr nuclear plant" and "cyber-weapon" are phrases which are already inexorably linked to Stuxnet. One of the main arguments behind the "Iranian" theory is that Iran is the epicentre of the epidemic, as it has the largest number of computers identified as being infected. However, any estimates about the number of infected machines can only be based on the data which AV companies get from their clients' machines. And such data only comes from those countries where a company actually has clients. So if there aren't any clients, or the antivirus product in question isn't widely used, any estimates have to be regarded as having a serious margin of error.

You have to look at data from several companies in order to get a reasonable idea of what's going on. And in addition to this, you have to know what market share the company in question has in the relevant country.Nearly all sources agree on one point: that Iran, India, and Indonesia lead in terms of infections. Some put Iran in first place, some India. Unfortunately, what's getting forgotten is that the Stuxnet epidemic (like any epidemic) isn't static: the worm is continuing to spread, and while some systems remain infected, many of them have been cleaned.
    We've been monitoring the epidemic. A look at the data from the last three months gives us a chance to pinpoint what changes have taken place, and to maybe establish which country the worm initially spread from.

Our data set comes from the Kaspersky Security Network, our in-the-cloud service. The data throws up some interesting facts, but it should be stressed that this is data from our personal product line, and not data collected by our other products.The table below lists the twenty most infected countries from the start of July (when detection for Stuxnet was added to our bases) until now. India, Iran, and Indonesia take the top three. But Iran isn't in first place; neither is it in second.

16. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: Who, or maybe WHAT, is behind the Stuxnet worm?

Stuxnet was first discovered a while back. If you are interested in more coverage of the technology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

Stuxnet is a clever worm - so clever that a lot of security people think that it had to be sponsored by people with very deep pockets ($10m-$100m dollar pockets) - industrial espionage style.

The reason is that it was designed to attack and interfere with a certain class of industrial hardware controllers - and not for example the usual activities of subverting a computer, stealing information and creating "bot nets" used to attack other computers.

That said - I would say that it has probably failed in its main aim - which I assume was to destroy something spectacularly. However, it has succeeded in the probably secondary goal of causing the usual virus panic and media promotion of a sense of helplessness/victim mindset.

Nothing has blown up so far as I know. The virus has been identified now and people mostly know how it works. Asides from people that caught with their defences down, there is no real problem. Those people now need to get some hardware controllers in their plant reprogrammed. Boo hoo! Now they have a great opportunity to adopt better computer security.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

17. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Than you John, but I read that the finality of the woem has not yet been identify by any experts.

Snowy

18. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks

It is true that there is some as yet unencrypted parts.

My guess, that this is just there to wind people up. I expect this is some random white noise in there (impossible to decrypt as it means nothing) as part of the reverse engineering defences - a nice red herring for the researchers.

19. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

World War 3 is set up in few weeks, this worm might be the reason for the Internet shut down.

20. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Stuxnet 'cyber superweapon' moves to China
    Sep 30 07:16 AM US/Eastern
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

A computer virus dubbed the world's "first cyber superweapon" by experts and which may have been designed to attack Iran's nuclear facilities has found a new target -- China.
    The Stuxnet computer worm has wreaked havoc in China, infecting millions of computers around the country, state media reported this week.

Stuxnet is feared by experts around the globe as it can break into computers that control machinery at the heart of industry, allowing an attacker to assume control of critical systems like pumps, motors, alarms and valves.

It could, technically, make factory boilers explode, destroy gas pipelines or even cause a nuclear plant to malfunction.

The virus targets control systems made by German industrial giant Siemens commonly used to manage water supplies, oil rigs, power plants and other industrial facilities.

"This malware is specially designed to sabotage plants and damage industrial systems, instead of stealing personal data," an engineer surnamed Wang at antivirus service provider Rising International Software told the Global Times.

More at : http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast