+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 83 year old nun sentenced to twenty years

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 times in 256 posts

Talking 83 year old nun faces twenty year sentence

This old girl is a heroine in my books.....

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/0...lity-break-in/

Contains the following remarkable paragraphs:

Depleted uranium munitions like the kind stored at the facility Sister Rice targeted are blamed for some of the worst birth defects and soaring cancer rates seen in post-war Iraq, particularly in the city of Fallujah following the siege of 2004, in which U.S. soldiers killed thousands of civilians.

The city has never recovered, particularly from the use of depleted uranium munitions, and to this day residents suffer from health effects “worse” than those seen following the nuclear detonations at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, according to a study by the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health.

Free sister Rice now

love, bram
    Last edited by bram; 10th May 2013 at 08:19. Reason: factual correction
    May all living beings (including you and me) find true happiness and remain healthy; may they be wise and compassionate in their actions, may they find lasting peace, and may no harm come to them. May all beings find the patience and endurance to deal with disappointment and failure, may they be released from karma and may they find enlightenment. May loving kindness fill the hearts of all living beings, near and far.

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to bram For This Post:

Benimal (29th May 2013), bruno dante (10th May 2013), Cidersomerset (10th May 2013), Corncrake (10th May 2013), DNA (11th May 2013), enfoldedblue (20th May 2013), eva08 (11th May 2013), fifi (10th May 2013), Kryztian (10th May 2013), lookbeyond (10th May 2013), math330 (11th May 2013), Mulder (11th May 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (13th May 2013), Nasu (21st February 2014), northstar (10th May 2013), onawah (10th May 2013), Realeyes (19th February 2014), Rosieposie (10th May 2013), seko (10th May 2013), Sharleen (20th May 2013), spiritguide (10th May 2013), StephenW11UK (11th May 2013), sunflower (21st February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (10th May 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

Default Re: 83 year old nun sentenced to twenty years

this poor woman...

my blog that was banned really bashed nuclear weapons too..

she is right!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,609 times in 20,703 posts

That took real courage.
    Each breath a gift...

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Benimal (29th May 2013), bram (10th May 2013), Cidersomerset (10th May 2013), Corncrake (10th May 2013)

6. Link to Post #4
    Wales Avalon Member
    Thanks

All of the sources I can find, including the one in OP, say that Sister Megan Rice has been found guilty but that sentencing has not yet been handed out. Huff Post is saying sentencing will be in September. I agree Sister Rice should go free, but we cannot really campaign against a sentence that has not yet been handed out. We can campaign for a light sentence.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GarethBKK For This Post:

bram (10th May 2013), Cidersomerset (10th May 2013), Corncrake (10th May 2013)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,647 times in 18,693 posts

I saw this story yesterday, brave lady.....

Published on 7 May 2013

The activists - 64 year old Michael Walli, 57 year old Greg Boertje-Obed and 83
    year old nun Megan Rice admitted breaking into a secure facility where enriched
    uranium for nuclear bombs is stored. The group cut a fence at the Y-12 National
    Security Complex in Oak Ridge, Tennessee back in July and then walked around for
    hours spray-painting slogans and taking a hammer to facility walls. As a result,
    federal officials say they were forced to shut the facility down for 15 days-- a delay
    prosecutors claim damages America's credibility in terms of nuclear deterrence .

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

bram (10th May 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (10th May 2013)

10. Link to Post #6
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

Lol wow, good on them I shall inspire to follow in her footsteps when older. Have to keep out of too much mischief to be of any use for a few years but when you are 80? Why not lol the day when everyone sits back and does nothing will be a tragic day.
    "I don't care" is a civilizations death sentence

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosieposie For This Post:

bram (10th May 2013)

12. Link to Post #7
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Will age comes wisdom and the lose of fear.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fmkmrf For This Post:

bram (11th May 2013), conk (10th May 2013)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

How courageous!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to eva08 For This Post:

bram (11th May 2013)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 times in 818 posts

Last edited by Mulder; 18th July 2013 at 09:36.
    “There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.” -- Carl Jung

"To see the farm is to leave the farm."

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,846 times in 876 posts

Wow, Rosieposie. If younger people did this kind of protest like they did in the 1960s, 80 year old nuns wouldn't have to. Of course, I don't know the story of your life but I hope more younger people feel ashamed and do get more active.

18. Link to Post #11
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,460 times in 1,155 posts

Default Re: 83 year old nun faces twenty year sentence

Quote Posted by bram (here)
    This old girl is a heroine in my books.....
    The world would be a much better place if we had more people with her courage to stand up and actually do something to fix things.
    Nice if there were about 300 million more souls like her in the USA.
    Than, criminals would not run the sheep.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vitalux For This Post:

bram (14th May 2013), grannyfranny100 (12th May 2013)

20. Link to Post #12
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Sister Megan Rice is exactly right and the fact that she also illustrated how weak the security for nuclear sites is she should get a medal of honor. At no time should mankind ever mess with nuclear fission, it is only a matter of time until it comes up and bites all of humanity, and that is usually not very long.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Rozzy For This Post:

bram (14th May 2013)

22. Link to Post #13
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    where ever there is a smile, ill be there :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 times in 1,702 posts

Go the Nanna Nun Power !

Woo Hoo !

this makes me wanna break into a a facility too ! ( ill have to wait till i am of age of course )

How embarrasing for the neuclear community . . . besides being embarrased they make a living out of death and distruction, that is . . .

Long Live Nanaa Nun Megan Power !!!

23. Link to Post #14
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

You misunderstand me granny I think everyone should stand up and make change but some more drastic things are not age appropriate unless you are one of those people whose life path is to take such a tricky path. For example I would never do anything as brave as these wonderful people currently because I would never want to risk leaving my young child without a mother. We all need to be strong and stand up I would never advocate that we lay down but it is all about what your priorities are where you are in life and being stuck in jail for many years helps nobody .
    "I don't care" is a civilizations death sentence

24. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

The Plowshares Movement appears to have been a thorn in the side of the US nuclear establishment for a long time, and by coming up with this trumped up charge which carries a sentence of up to 20 years, the government obviously sees the opportunity to put these three activists away for the rest of their lives. What an inhumane attitude this is. If somebody disagrees with my actions, I will just incarcerate them until they are dead. This is how totalitarian governments treat people who oppose them.

More on the plowshares movement here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plowshares_Movement

I wonder how we could start a movement to nominate Sister Rice for the Nobel Peace Prize- or perhaps Barack Obama could give her his, as he has obviously no use for it.

Love, bram
    May all living beings (including you and me) find true happiness and remain healthy; may they be wise and compassionate in their actions, may they find lasting peace, and may no harm come to them. May all beings find the patience and endurance to deal with disappointment and failure, may they be released from karma and may they find enlightenment. May loving kindness fill the hearts of all living beings, near and far.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bram For This Post:

write4change (20th May 2013)

26. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Disappointing: prison sentences for the non violent peace protesters, whilst the criminals at the top continue unabated.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ant?CMP=twt_fd

27. Link to Post #17
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,296 times in 1,783 posts

This is very unfortunate and I have a lot of admiration for her. Hope she at least ends up at a place like where Martha Stewart was sent because at least she'll have a microwave oven and small fridge in her room with no room-mate.

+ Reply to Thread