+ Reply to Thread

Thread: " Khaleese "... Julia Gillard reveals Game of Thrones addiction

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Default " Khaleese "... Julia Gillard reveals Game of Thrones addiction

I expect some of you Ozzies suspected this, although as a fan myself she is
    probably more cunning like Queen Cersie......

Julia Gillard reveals Game of Thrones addiction

PM says she became hooked on TV show about feuding fiefdoms during her summer break

Lenore Taylor

Lenore Taylor, political editor

guardian.co.uk, Sunday 26 May 2013 20.42 BST

It’s a bloody tale of warring clans fighting for control of the throne – so it should
    perhaps come as little surprise to Game of Thrones fans that Julia Gillard is an avid
    viewer.

Revealing herself as a fan of the HBO series in an interview with Guardian Australia,
    the prime minister said she had been drawn into George RR Martin’s mythical
    medieval-like world, in which feuding fiefdoms do battle in pursuit of power.

And her favourite character? Daenerys Targaryen - the woman who emerged
    triumphant from a trial by fire to be acclaimed as the uncontested leader of her
    people.

Gillard is backing Targaryen, who carries the title “khaleesi”, to take control of the
    iron throne. Targaryen is the first female war leader of a tribe called the Dothraki,
    in the complicated maze of competition between would-be rulers. She’s resolute
    and at times bloodthirsty – the khaleesi, that is.

The prime minister said she became hooked on the show over her summer break
    during a rare few days off.

“I was given the DVDs over the summer period when I did get a little bit of time to
    watch so I watched them one after the other,” she said. “I don’t get many lazy
    afternoons but I managed to have a few and now I am a bit of an addict. I
    anxiously await the new episode each Monday night. I like it because I think the
    intrigue between the contending families is enough to sustain the storyline.

“I am not usually a consumer of things with fantasy elements in it but I very much
    enjoy it.”

And which of the family fiefdoms did she hope would prevail? “I’m barracking for
    the khaleesi, the mother of dragons,” Gillard said, without hesitation.

Could she perhaps be referred to as “khaleesi” in her own office? “Well, I don’t have
    any pet dragons – maybe they would come in handy from time to time– nobody
    has given me any dragon eggs and since she had to walk into fire in order to hatch
    them I am not sure I particularly want that bit of it.”

Like many viewers, Gillard was surprised when another central character, Ned
    Stark – head of the house of Stark and played by actor Sean Bean – came to a
    sudden gruesome end in the first series.

“I was a little bit shocked when Ned Stark got killed off so early on,” she said. “He
    sort of had hero written all over his forehead, so I assumed he would be a central
    heroic character for all of it or most of it, so I didn’t expect the grisly end so early.”

There was insufficient time to pursue with the prime minister the possible
    Australian political analogies of a plotline in which a leader apparently set for a long
    reign is cut down prematurely.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ame-of-thrones
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 3rd June 2013 at 16:03.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

we-R-one (4th June 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,827 times in 1,436 posts

Default Re: " Khaleese "... Julia Gillard reveals Game of Thrones addiction

FWIW it's quite possible her attraction to these characters is due to past life memories she could be experiencing. For many these memories come across as emotions, not necessarily pictures. Often we can be attracted to characters who play roles that remind us of who we were. I know this feeling well as I was drawn to the The Tudors series on HBO. It wasn't until 3 years after the series started when I finally learned who I had been; I then realized the attraction to the Tudors was most likely due to the fact that Henry VIII had been my great uncle, and the lifestyle portrayed in this series was reminding me of who I had been. Suddenly it all began to make sense. I often wonder how many people experience this and yet don't know who they were; and that they could be watching a portrayal of themselves in some of these series, lol.

+ Reply to Thread