Thread: For Yahoo and Gmail Users

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,613 times in 20,704 posts

Default Re: For Yahoo and Gmail Users

Any recommendations what to use for email?
    Each breath a gift...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

CdnSirian (5th June 2013), Holly Lindin (5th June 2013), RunningDeer (5th June 2013), soleil (5th June 2013)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,857 times in 21,554 posts

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    I'm a long standing and happy user of fastmail.fm
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

CdnSirian (5th June 2013), kanishk (5th June 2013), onawah (5th June 2013), RunningDeer (5th June 2013)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Sidney (here)
    Thanks Paula, Time to get rid of my yahoo account. How Dare They. So lovely of them to kindly store my own documents for me. (sarcasm)
    Hi Sidney,

Congrats on your Moderator-in-training! Formerly known as "Wantsthetruth74"

I've known about Startpage but got lazy and just used Goggle. Somethings that had to do with government questions, I'd use Startpage. Now I've got a bookmark right on my menu bar. And on my other browser and iPad, I've set it for Startpage. They show you how to do that at Startpage Help Center.

PS I just spotted the announcement on the "Welcome to our new Moderators".

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

CdnSirian (5th June 2013), Gardener (6th June 2013), Rich (5th June 2013), Sidney (5th June 2013), ThePythonicCow (5th June 2013), william r sanford72 (5th June 2013)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,857 times in 21,554 posts

So lovely of them to kindly store my own documents for me. (sarcasm)
    (more sarcasm) Well, of course they were going to store our documents. What we should be grateful for is them allowing us to view "our" documents. Someday, no doubt, that will no longer be allowed -- we will lack a "need to know" to view "our" documents. (end sarcasm)
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

CdnSirian (5th June 2013), RunningDeer (5th June 2013), Sidney (5th June 2013)

9. Link to Post #25
    Ilie Pandia

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    I'm a long standing and happy user of fastmail.fm
    I've also recently switched to FastMail.fm after Google's increased privacy concerns. The service is not free, but IMO quite affordable and totally worth it.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ilie Pandia For This Post:

CdnSirian (5th June 2013), onawah (5th June 2013), RunningDeer (5th June 2013), soleil (5th June 2013), ThePythonicCow (5th June 2013)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,686 times in 774 posts

i was going to ask this too. as i have gmail.
    unite, alright
    you know one thing about music? when it hits, you feel no pain!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soleil For This Post:

CdnSirian (5th June 2013), RunningDeer (5th June 2013)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

I heard outlook has a good email right now. Don't know yet first hand though.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

CdnSirian (5th June 2013), onawah (5th June 2013)

15. Link to Post #28
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Paula (here)
    Quote Posted by CdnSirian (here)
    One thing I don't understand about Startpage. For example, you go there and type in Project Avalon. Results come up. But then you must select "view by proxy" or do you? If you don't, are you still viewing privately? Because if you do view by proxy, you can't log in and links don't work except by taking you out of viewing by proxy.

So how does it really work?
    Hi CdnSirian,

See graphic below. I've added the pop-up message for "view by proxy". If an "s" is in the address, it is a secure site. You'll find that if, for example, you do on-line banking. I've added something about IP Addresses and a Q&A help link.

Startpage Help Center with index on such things as Q&A and Privacy. This is what they say about IP Addresses:

The IP address that is associated with your search will NOT be recorded. (The only exception is for "abusive" (automated) queriers that rapidly submit many queries to Startpage in a very short time.)

the IP address will not be saved BY "start page", yes.

All internet and phone traffic is routed through "fusion" centers and is recorded & filtered for key words at a minimum... so this whole thread is sort of.......... pointless?

BUT using facebook or Gmail does make it "easier" for more agencies to access your data; but really I don't even worry about it just be aware that everything you post has been sifted through & that there are hundreds of MILLIONS of people being filtered and YOU are NOT important enough for them to bother with, if you are you'll know (or just be paranoid enough to think you are).

Outlook is microsoft, I would trust them just as much as google.
    Last edited by TargeT; 5th June 2013 at 15:20.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

CdnSirian (5th June 2013), genevieve (6th June 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (5th June 2013), onawah (5th June 2013)

17. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    All internet and phone traffic is routed through "fusion" centers and is recorded & filtered for key words at a minimum... so this whole thread is sort of.......... pointless?
    Quote BUT using facebook or Gmail does make it "easier" for more agencies to access your data; but really I don't even worry about it just be aware that everything you post has been sifted through & that there are hundreds of MILLIONS of people being filtered and YOU are NOT important enough for them to bother with, if you are you'll know (or just be paranoid enough to think you are).
    Quote Outlook is microsoft, I would trust them just as much as google.
    Quote so this whole thread is sort of.......... pointless?
    The "BUT" and added advice says not. You contradict yourself. Unless that is your point...there's some value to this thread rather than it be a "pointless thread".

I'm going to assume the latter because there's no voice for me to discern the clear intent of your post.

And at the moment, I sit in judgement about your view that this is a "pointless thread". I favor Katherine Albrecht, the privacy expert's advice over yours.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 5th June 2013 at 16:40.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

CdnSirian (5th June 2013), TargeT (5th June 2013)

19. Link to Post #30
    United States Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,246 times in 853 posts

Someone needs to make a total privacy web browser
    where nothing is recorded or stored.

Maybe better yet, a new internet.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to humanalien For This Post:

CdnSirian (5th June 2013), Holly Lindin (5th June 2013), RunningDeer (5th June 2013), Sidney (5th June 2013)

21. Link to Post #31
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,764 times in 987 posts

Quote Posted by humanalien (here)

I've heard rumours that this is under discussion. We'll see how it goes!

Meanwhile, I had to "unproxy" to log in, respond and thank. So my question still is, while I got to PA through Startpage, what happens when I leave the search page and go to PA? My understanding is I may as well have gone through Google, at that point.

So this thread is certainly not pointless to me...the discussion is valuable.
    Last edited by CdnSirian; 5th June 2013 at 17:54.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CdnSirian For This Post:

RunningDeer (5th June 2013), TargeT (5th June 2013)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paula (here)

The "BUT" and added advice says not. You contradict yourself. Unless that is your point...there's some value to this thread rather than it be a "pointless thread".

I'm going to assume the latter because there's no voice for me to discern the clear intent of your post.

And at the moment, I sit in judgement about your view that this is a "pointless thread". I favor Katherine Albrecht, the privacy expert's advice over yours.
    Clearly I struck a cord there, I did not mean any personal offense, appologies all around! I most definately did not mean to infer in anyway that your contribution was "worthless" or un wanted or "pointless", I apreciate these discussions as they help me refine my own thoughts on the topic & possibly help others out through my "knowledge".

I was simply trying to emphisise the point that what's on the internet might as well be considered public domain, unless it's highly encrypted (which is the fastest way to get yourself on a watch list, funny enough, and with modern computing power what it is, is generaly not as safe as it used to be) & that causing yourself any stress over your email provider is effort best directed to gardening or something else that actually will have an impact on your life.

Quote Posted by CdnSirian (here)
    Quote Posted by humanalien (here)

I've heard rumours that this is under discussion. We'll see it goes!

Meanwhile, I had to "unproxy" to log in, respond and thank. So my question still is, while I got to PA through Startpage, what happens when I leave the search page and go to PA? My understanding is I may as well have gone through Google, at that point.

So this thread is certainly not pointless to me...the discussion is valuable.
    Start page is just a search engine that doesn't store your searches tied to your IP address, it, in itself is a proxy for google searches.

Might be good to define proxy here:

Quote prox•y
    [prok-see] Show IPA

noun, plural prox•ies.
    the agency, function, or power of a person authorized to act as the deputy or substitute for another.

the person so authorized; substitute; agent.

a written authorization empowering another person to vote or act for the signer, as at a meeting of stockholders.

an ally or confederate who can be relied upon to speak or act in one's behalf.

So, in this case a proxy means that you tell someone to do something, they do it for you, and then give the results to you (there by separating you from the action done). for example:

I want to give a gift to a person, but do not want the person to know who gave the gift, I select a trusted person (proxy) to deliver the gift for me & the trusted person (proxy) tells me the results.

So, if you are trying to get to Project Avalon and DO NOT want Project Avalon to know who you are (via your IP) you use a Proxy (then PA would see the traffic you direct at it as coming from this proxy, instead of you).

So a proxy on the internet is simply a way of shielding yourself (a little) from the end destination by not allowing it to know exactly where you came from.

NOW, my point was that this is all sort of an exercise in futility (especially in the US, though I'm sure similar things go on elsewhere) since all traffic is recorded & searched for keywords already by the NSA & a few other agencies.

I'll not question Katherine Albrecht's credentials, but I'm not a novice in this area and hold several certifications that other people care far too much about along with a decade and a half of hands on experience; though that is sort of a logical fallacy "appeal to authority" so do your own research & come to your own conclusions.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

CdnSirian (5th June 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (5th June 2013), RunningDeer (5th June 2013), Sophocles (5th June 2013)

25. Link to Post #33
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Clearly I struck a cord there, I did not mean any personal offense, appologies all around! I most definately did not mean to infer in anyway that your contribution was "worthless" or un wanted or "pointless", I apreciate these discussions as they help me refine my own thoughts on the topic & possibly help others out through my "knowledge".

I'll not question Katherine Albrecht's credentials, but...
    Thank you, TargeT. The Katherine Albrecht comment was about feeling she cares enough about the issue to pass it along. Whereas your comment felt like your best interest came first. Whatever my perception of it was. I've forgotten it all now. Seriously.....it's G-O-N-E. So thanks for the experiential, here & now effect, and your shared and valued point of view on this important privacy matter.

On another note, I logged off and then back on after recalling that I've had a couple of websites through Register.com. And I paid a little extra for them to 'lock out' others from knowing who's name and address belongs to my site(s). That's the only way I understand, Startpage. But it's hard to explain to others to set their minds at ease. In the end, I'd be vigilant on what I put in my emails. But there's the rub.... they are still controlling the messages that goes out.

Gotta go get my dog's nails cut...

PS Katherine Albrecht is one of the good guys. I look forward to whatever she shares. It's always, always about protecting the people.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 6th June 2013 at 03:58.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

CdnSirian (5th June 2013), Holly Lindin (5th June 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (5th June 2013), TargeT (5th June 2013)

27. Link to Post #34
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,764 times in 987 posts

I understand the futility part. This forum must be a hornets nest of keywords!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CdnSirian For This Post:

RunningDeer (5th June 2013), TargeT (5th June 2013)

29. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,800 times in 8,389 posts

I'm waiting for Startmail to get up and running.

I've added myself to their list of people who want to be beta testers when it's up.

https://startmail.com/
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Holly Lindin (5th June 2013), RunningDeer (5th June 2013)

31. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

I highly encourage people to just flood the system... post every single one of the "key words" on your facebook (if you use it) and or email...

Why not eh?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/reuvenco...rking-sites/2/

Dept. of Homeland Security Forced to Release List of Keywords Used to Monitor Social Networking Sites
    Quote If you are thinking about tweeting about clouds, pork, exercise or even Mexico, think again. Doing so may result in a closer look by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

In a story appearing earlier today on the U.K’s Daily Mail website, it was reported that the DHS has been forced to release a list of keywords and phrases it uses to monitor various social networking sites. The list provides a glimpse into what DHS describes as “signs of terrorist or other threats against the U.S.”

The list was posted by the Electronic Privacy Information Center who filed a request under the Freedom of Information Act, before suing to obtain the release of the documents. The documents were part of the department’s 2011 ’Analyst’s Desktop Binder‘ used by workers at their National Operations Center which instructs workers to identify ‘media reports that reflect adversely on DHS and response activities’.

The information sheds new light on how government analysts are instructed to patrol the internet searching for domestic and external threats. The Daily Mail’s article noted the Electronic Privacy Information Center wrote a letter to the House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Counter-terrorism and Intelligence, describing it’s choice of words as ‘broad, vague and ambiguous’.

What wasn’t disclosed is how the agency actually gains access to the various search engines and social networks to monitor the specified keywords. My guess is the DHS has a “special arrangement” with companies like Google GOOG +0.14%, Facebook FB -2.5%, Microsoft MSFT -0.79%, Yahoo and Twitter to gain secure direct API access. This type of access would allow it to use distributed cloud technologies to monitor the daily flow of social media and search activity in something close to real time.

I would love to learn more about the technologies used to accomplish this type of social / web monitoring. The applications for monitoring trends and social statics are fascinating when applied to other industry sectors. Given the extent of the monitoring, I’m sure this post itself is now coming up on the DHS radar, so please feel free to leave a comment with any insights.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/reuvenco...rking-sites/2/
    Where are you?

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

genevieve (6th June 2013), Holly Lindin (5th June 2013), RunningDeer (5th June 2013), william r sanford72 (5th June 2013)

33. Link to Post #37
    Thanks

So that's DHS list, I wonder what's in the NSA list ?
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

genevieve (6th June 2013), RunningDeer (5th June 2013), Sidney (5th June 2013), TargeT (5th June 2013), william r sanford72 (5th June 2013)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks

Anyone suggest a free way to still use and get an email address but avoid yahoo and google?

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gardunk For This Post:

Holly Lindin (5th June 2013), RunningDeer (5th June 2013)

37. Link to Post #39
    Ilie Pandia

Hushmail (http://www.hushmail.com/) has a Free signup option, if I recall.

Update: They still require a credit card number even for the Free accounts, that's weird.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ilie Pandia For This Post:

gardunk (6th June 2013), RunningDeer (5th June 2013), william r sanford72 (5th June 2013)

39. Link to Post #40
    Thanks

Quote Posted by gardunk (here)
    Anyone suggest a free way to still use and get an email address but avoid yahoo and google?
    I think that's what Startmail will be when it gets going in the next few months.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to norman For This Post:

RunningDeer (5th June 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast