+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives against the PRISM program (Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, ..

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Post Alternatives against the PRISM program (Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, ..

Automatic Translation:

Following the article on NSA and the Prism program , alternatives can be considered using other cyber-corporations.

1) Replace Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, AOL, Facebook, Paltalk, Apple services that are:

Your email correspondence
    your friends, your interests and your opinions centers (social networks, RSS feeds)
    your research on the internet (search engine)
    your documents (cloud)
    your internet navigation
    your home (Street View, etc.)
    your bank details (Google Play, etc.)
    your telephone number (Recovery Account)
    your travels and your location (Latitude, Map)
    your calendar
    videos and music (Youtube, Google Music)
    your blog (Blogger, ...)
    data from your mobile phone (Android Apps ...)
    and soon your life IRL (Google Glasses, ...)
    etc ...

We can use:

Mail: Zoho or mail.opera

Calendar: Zoho

Contacts: Zoho or mail.opera.com

Docs: Zoho

RSS: Feedly

Drive: DropBox

Search: D uckDuckGo , Startpage , Orange

Map: OpenStreetMap

iGoogle: portal.opera.com

Google Music or other: Grooveshark

Youtube: Vimeo , Dailymotion

Internet Browser: Firefox and managing bookmarks Xmarks and Delicious

Google Alert: Talk Walker Alert

Do not use Google+, Facebook, Instagram, ... Prefer Twitter

Instant Messaging (Skype, AOL, ...): Brosix

Blog: Transfer your blog (Blogger, ...) on an independent business as OverBlog or create your own blog ( Wordpress , Joomla , ...)

Changes will be made with the new platform to limit OverBlog see not use these companies.

If everyone does not use these companies, they will have more interest to exist. Other companies will resume over by redeeming but it is up to us afterwards to change our habits.

Revivall
    Source: http://www.revivall.org/article-des-...118349976.html
    Last edited by stomy; 8th June 2013 at 07:05.

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to stomy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (8th June 2013), Azt (8th June 2013), cursichella1 (5th August 2013), Deemah (8th June 2013), ElusiveHippo (16th June 2013), Flash (10th June 2013), gripreaper (8th June 2013), grizzzly (8th June 2013), Hazel (4th August 2013), heyokah (9th June 2013), InCiDeR (9th June 2013), jackovesk (8th June 2013), Lifebringer (8th June 2013), mosquito (8th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (8th June 2013), PHARAOH (8th June 2013), psydney (17th June 2013), Roisin (10th June 2013), Rollo (8th June 2013), RunningDeer (8th June 2013), soleil (10th June 2013), spiritguide (8th June 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (12th June 2013), witchy1 (8th June 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Brazil Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,529 times in 1,350 posts

Default Re: Alternatives against the PRISM program (Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, ..

My friend stomy.
    Some habits acquired in internet use are more difficult to change than eliminate the smoking.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Naste.

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Default Re: Alternatives against the PRISM program (Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, ..

Spread this tips to all yours contacts please, we'll be more effective against majors Thanks

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stomy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (8th June 2013), Flash (10th June 2013), InCiDeR (11th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (8th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (4th August 2013)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Hee, hee, just make a short call to friends and don't use buzz words....you know what they are and I won't bring them here to have the constant probing ill intent snoops throwing stinkers here on the pc's.

The people who do stupid stuff like murder will just use the opposite buzz words anyway, so really its just another way to snoop on everyone. Cameras on every corner not enough, because of gunshots the people are inside NOT watching their crap, but on the net, so now they want to sneak and peek on the sheep. How they can stir the hive into violent intent towards others, not like them in "hue", hair, clothes, finance.

Wheat from the chafe, ladies and gents, the wheat from the chafe.

PS for the newbies who's eyes are just opening to what the abcorgsnoopscope has been doing for the corporations who want to get inside your heads on products.
    In 2000, my vote was purged in the election, and I was not "allowed to vote, because I didn't vote in the congressional election." Imagine my surprise on their azzsumption that there was someone I wanted to vote for during that election.

I almost had a nervous breakdown and was on the fence teetering over what my ancestors marched and died for being callously taken from me.(Our ancestors fight for civil and voting rights on the Bridge) All that went through my head that day in an instant and did not compute, so to speak. After that, I told myself to pick myself back up, realize I got reamed of my rights and fight everyday until I was comfortable enough with my IQ to really expose the bs going on, that our parents and baby boomer Grandparents drunk theirselves to sleep on.
    Slow thinkers of "remember when" that have stifled the growth of the country through outdated memories of "haves and have nots" living comfortably side by side one poor, and one rich, that's just the way it was with them.

That little fairytale and lullaby of "happy days" is not longer viable with wolves at Fonzie's door with technological weapons of snoop. They were the WW2 babies who faught in Vietnam believing they were fighting for freedom, instead of another CORP WS exec wanting to come take their resources, or open a business in competition using their own people to twist the knife in their economy, as they own the banks.

Like I said, a lot of research on what laws were passed, before and after Bush1 and 2.
    If at this time, we don't recognize that God has provided US a President that does not want the same laws Bush put in, and help him close Guantanamo as a sign that the people know they are against closing it, and will support him in his last term. No telling who will get through in 2016, unless we can vote those obstructing JOBS, and Progress on Global climate change preparation for the ALL people/citizens.
    It's time to unite, despite doctrine of hate because of physical, financial or "HUEman" color rainbows and language.

The whole world deserves to be free to elect their leaders. WE the majority who didn't follow the Fox newsparrots of media destruction/journalism/opinion/entertainment, elected this President after vetting him for 4 years. Its time the right did the same thing if they are to clean their corruption, as the DEM,IND,Pissed Off Republicans did on the left.

Playing crazy for 15 minutes of fame and death sentence isn't gonna cut it.
    Prosecution of the laws and changing of oppressive laws that effect minorities, and give a pass to "real Americans" is NEVER fair. Suppose when the guy who ate the McDonalds, ignored the girl and child because of color? Just saying, Racism and division only work for the energy suckers on the top.

Lets stop feeding them.
    You know, that month long boycott of the net, just may open their eyes to the fact that HEY, IS ANYBODY OUT THERE TO TALK TO MY BUSINESS, PROGRAM, OR ORGANIZATION?

Crickets and mind focus of NO MORE SNOOPING, NO MORE WARS, NO MORE IGNORANCE, vibrating around the world.
    As you can see, I'm fine now that I've paid attention to every election on the left since, as is my duty. WE cannot leave the rats to play, as the cats are away. Someone must always watch that our rights aren't trampled as humans or citizens equally.
    My worst nightmare, WOKE me up like a sleeping giant. I as a woman began to first weep for my country, and then fight verbally to smash lying media planted trolls from east to west, 50 states at a time and around the world for justice and equality whether communist, or democracy. HUMANITY COMES FIRST. LIVE BEINGS OVER EVIL BEINGS
    An end to oppressive tyranny of the masses in every nation. NO it's not communism, facism, or any of the ism's.
    It's unity for the two legged upright walking, clear thinking, thoughtful soul, they thought was gonna just take it up the rear w/out lubrication and say: "Oh, that's just the way it is. NOT FOR ME, OR MY CHILDREN'S CHILDREN.

FREEDOM NOW, ALL AMERICAN AND WORLD FREEDOM FOREVER!
    FIRE THE CORPORATE LOBBYING SHILLS, and free OUR future PEACEFULLY WITH TRUE JUSTICE AND PROSECUTION OF OUR LAWS!
    Works for me.
    PSS They want to treat the internet like crack to get you hooked. I got off the pc crack and went in the garden among nature with favorite list blasting knowledge for all to hear while I'm in the yard, and praying when necessary, just putting it out there for the Creator to solve, if I am financially or physically able to help/be there, I do so with my love of heart and mind to reach out for healing.
    Get off the pc crack for a month, and fill your mind with the positive seeds to sow our future.
    We can do it, we are the leaders/guides we've been waiting for.
    Let's show the rest of the world how to do it.
    Unity for one and ALL OF HUMANITY.
    Last edited by Lifebringer; 8th June 2013 at 12:37.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

AwakeInADream (8th June 2013), Christine (8th June 2013), InCiDeR (11th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (8th June 2013), soleil (10th June 2013), spiritguide (8th June 2013), stomy (8th June 2013)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 times in 744 posts

And never trust a democrat:

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tesseract For This Post:

AwakeInADream (8th June 2013), InCiDeR (11th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (8th June 2013), risveglio (11th July 2013), stomy (8th June 2013)

10. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

-I've removed this post-
    Last edited by Paa; 26th July 2013 at 14:32.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Paa For This Post:

Another1 (10th June 2013), AwakeInADream (8th June 2013), Dennis Leahy (10th June 2013), humanalien (16th June 2013), InCiDeR (11th June 2013), Kraut (12th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (8th June 2013), spiritguide (8th June 2013), stomy (8th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (4th August 2013)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Post Re: Alternatives against the PRISM program (Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, ..

_
    / \ _ __ ___ _ __ _ _ _ __ ___ ___ _ _ ___
    / _ \ | '_ \ / _ \| '_ \| | | | '_ ` _ \ / _ \| | | / __|
    / ___ \| | | | (_) | | | | |_| | | | | | | (_) | |_| \__ \
    /_/ \_\_| |_|\___/|_| |_|\__, |_| |_| |_|\___/ \__,_|___/
    |___/

Greetings Netizens, and Citizens of the world.

Anonymous has obtained some documents that "they" do not want you to see, and much to "their" chagrin, we have found them, and are giving them to you.
    These documents prove that the NSA is spying on you, and not just Americans. They are spying on the citizens of over 35 different countries.
    These documents contain information on the companies involved in GiG, and Prism.
    Whats GiG you might ask? well...

The GIG will enable the secure, agile, robust, dependable, interoperable data sharing environment for the Department where warfighter, business, and intelligence users share knowledge on a global network that facilitates information superiority, accelerates decision-making, effective operations, and Net-Centric transformation.

Like we said, this is happening in over 35 countries, and done in cooperation with private businesses, and intelligence partners world wide.
    We bring this to you, So that you know just how little rights you have. Your privacy and freedoms are slowly being taken from you, in closed door meetings, in laws buried in
    bills, and by people who are supposed to be protecting you.

Download these documents, share them, mirror them, don't allow them to make them disappear. Spread them wide and far. Let these people know, that we will not be silenced, that we will not be taken advantage of, and that we are not happy about this unwarranted, unnecessary, unethical spying of our private lives, for the monetary gain of the 1%.

And now, the candy: http://thedocs.hostzi.com/

Mirrors:
    http://t.co/XVlZQ53Zhp
    http://t.co/JYUHrhi3Ue
    http://t.co/qR9PRzySbq
    http://t.co/yGw2sP976W
    http://t.co/MrmBj4kma5

We are Anonymous
    We do not forgive
    We do not forget
    and by now,
    You should expect us

Sources: http://pastebin.com/MPpT7xaf
    http://www.revivall.org/article-anno...118357761.html
    Last edited by stomy; 8th June 2013 at 14:19.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stomy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (8th June 2013), InCiDeR (12th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (8th June 2013), soleil (10th June 2013), spiritguide (8th June 2013)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Last edited by stomy; 8th June 2013 at 14:44.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stomy For This Post:

InCiDeR (12th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (8th June 2013), soleil (10th June 2013), spiritguide (8th June 2013)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Government Built Spy-Access Into Most Popular Consumer Program Before 9/11

In researching the stunning pervasiveness of spying by the government (it’s much more wide spread than you’ve heard even now), we ran across the fact that the FBI wants software programmers to install a backdoor in all software.

Digging a little further, we found a 1999 article by leading European computer publication Heise which noted that the NSA had already built a backdoor into all Windows software:

A careless mistake by Microsoft programmers has revealed that special access codes prepared by the US National Security Agency have been secretly built into Windows. The NSA access system is built into every version of the Windows operating system now in use, except early releases of Windows 95 (and its predecessors). The discovery comes close on the heels of the revelations earlier this year that another US software giant, Lotus, had built an NSA “help information” trapdoor into its Notes system, and that security functions on other software systems had been deliberately crippled.

The first discovery of the new NSA access system was made two years ago by British researcher Dr Nicko van Someren [an expert in computer security]. But it was only a few weeks ago when a second researcher rediscovered the access system. With it, he found the evidence linking it to NSA.

Two weeks ago, a US security company came up with conclusive evidence that the second key belongs to NSA. Like Dr van Someren, Andrew Fernandez, chief scientist with Cryptonym of Morrisville, North Carolina, had been probing the presence and significance of the two keys. Then he checked the latest Service Pack release for Windows NT4, Service Pack 5. He found that Microsoft’s developers had failed to remove or “strip” the debugging symbols used to test this software before they released it. Inside the code were the labels for the two keys. One was called “KEY”. The other was called “NSAKEY”.

Fernandes reported his re-discovery of the two CAPI keys, and their secret meaning, to “Advances in Cryptology, Crypto’99″ conference held in Santa Barbara. According to those present at the conference, Windows developers attending the conference did not deny that the “NSA” key was built into their software. But they refused to talk about what the key did, or why it had been put there without users’ knowledge.

A third key?!

But according to two witnesses attending the conference, even Microsoft’s top crypto programmers were astonished to learn that the version of ADVAPI.DLL shipping with Windows 2000 contains not two, but three keys. Brian LaMachia, head of CAPI development at Microsoft was “stunned” to learn of these discoveries, by outsiders. The latest discovery by Dr van Someren is based on advanced search methods which test and report on the “entropy” of programming code.

Within the Microsoft organisation, access to Windows source code is said to be highly compartmentalized, making it easy for modifications to be inserted without the knowledge of even the respective product managers.

Researchers are divided about whether the NSA key could be intended to let US government users of Windows run classified cryptosystems on their machines or whether it is intended to open up anyone’s and everyone’s Windows computer to intelligence gathering techniques deployed by NSA’s burgeoning corps of “information warriors”.

According to Fernandez of Cryptonym, the result of having the secret key inside your Windows operating system “is that it is tremendously easier for the NSA to load unauthorized security services on all copies of Microsoft Windows, and once these security services are loaded, they can effectively compromise your entire operating system“. The NSA key is contained inside all versions of Windows from Windows 95 OSR2 onwards.

“How is an IT manager to feel when they learn that in every copy of Windows sold, Microsoft has a ‘back door’ for NSA – making it orders of magnitude easier for the US government to access your computer?” he asked.

We have repeatedly pointed out that widespread spying on Americans began prior to 9/11.

Source: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/...s-by-1999.html

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stomy For This Post:

cursichella1 (5th August 2013), Hervé (8th June 2013), InCiDeR (12th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (8th June 2013), spiritguide (8th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (4th August 2013), ThePythonicCow (8th June 2013)

18. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member spiritguide's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,730 times in 1,479 posts

Well there have been black programs on this issue going back decades. All this held under secrecy of National security. Who is Daniel Elsberg and why was he news?

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spiritguide For This Post:

InCiDeR (12th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (8th June 2013), stomy (9th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (4th August 2013)

20. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Openmindedskeptic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,359 times in 313 posts

According to journalist Glen Greenwald the full extent of the NSA's PRISM program has yet to be completely exposed.

The question now is what are the American people willing to do to get their civil liberties back? Most thoughtful activists, scholars and Constitutional organizations are insisting on stringent oversight hearings along the lines of the Church Committee hearings of the 1970's. Sounds like a good start to me.
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Openmindedskeptic For This Post:

InCiDeR (12th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (8th June 2013), spiritguide (8th June 2013), stomy (9th June 2013)

22. Link to Post #12
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,764 times in 987 posts

When a young Linux learner I know needed to learn Windows he got a German copy. I asked why and he said "there's no backdoor". I don't know if that is true now. I read a few years ago that both the gov of France and UCLA switched to Linux because of security issues with Windows. Maybe they wanted to eliminate the backdoor issue. I really don't know much about these things.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CdnSirian For This Post:

InCiDeR (12th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (8th June 2013), spiritguide (8th June 2013), stomy (9th June 2013)

24. Link to Post #13
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,434 times in 21,489 posts

Quote Posted by CdnSirian (here)
    I read a few years ago that both the gov of France and UCLA switched to Linux because of security issues with Windows.
    There are more security issues with Windows than the NSA's backdoor.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Christine (8th June 2013), greybeard (8th June 2013), InCiDeR (11th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (8th June 2013), risveglio (11th July 2013), RMorgan (12th June 2013), spiritguide (8th June 2013), stomy (9th June 2013), toad (4th August 2013)

26. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member Warlock's Avatar
    Thanks

With the revealing of Echelon and Carnivore, you can bet your full net worth that PRISM was, and had been, in full operation.

With the revealing of PRISM, there is something much more efficient that is, and has been, operating for some time.

That is why it is safe, at this time, for TPTB to get you all worked up over this.

It's not what you see, it's what you don't see.

Warlock
    Ignorance is Bliss

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Warlock For This Post:

Christine (8th June 2013), Hervé (8th June 2013), InCiDeR (11th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (8th June 2013), spiritguide (8th June 2013), stomy (9th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (4th August 2013)

28. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Boundless Informant: the NSA's secret tool to track global surveillance data

Revealed: The NSA's powerful tool for cataloguing data – including figures on US collection

• Boundless Informant: mission outlined in four slides
    • Read the NSA's frequently asked questions document

(Map on Source)
    The color scheme ranges from green (least subjected to surveillance) through yellow and orange to red (most surveillance). Note the '2007' date in the image relates to the document from which the interactive map derives its top secret classification, not to the map itself.

The National Security Agency has developed a powerful tool for recording and analysing where its intelligence comes from, raising questions about its repeated assurances to Congress that it cannot keep track of all the surveillance it performs on American communications.

The Guardian has acquired top-secret documents about the NSA datamining tool, called Boundless Informant, that details and even maps by country the voluminous amount of information it collects from computer and telephone networks.

The focus of the internal NSA tool is on counting and categorizing the records of communications, known as metadata, rather than the content of an email or instant message.

The Boundless Informant documents show the agency collecting almost 3 billion pieces of intelligence from US computer networks over a 30-day period ending in March 2013. One document says it is designed to give NSA officials answers to questions like, "What type of coverage do we have on country X" in "near real-time by asking the SIGINT [signals intelligence] infrastructure."

An NSA factsheet about the program, acquired by the Guardian, says: "The tool allows users to select a country on a map and view the metadata volume and select details about the collections against that country."

Under the heading "Sample use cases", the factsheet also states the tool shows information including: "How many records (and what type) are collected against a particular country."

A snapshot of the Boundless Informant data, contained in a top secret NSA "global heat map" seen by the Guardian, shows that in March 2013 the agency collected 97bn pieces of intelligence from computer networks worldwide.
    boundless heatmap The heat map reveals how much data is being collected from around the world. Note the '2007' date in the image relates to the document from which the interactive map derives its top secret classification, not to the map itself.

Iran was the country where the largest amount of intelligence was gathered, with more than 14bn reports in that period, followed by 13.5bn from Pakistan. Jordan, one of America's closest Arab allies, came third with 12.7bn, Egypt fourth with 7.6bn and India fifth with 6.3bn.

The heatmap gives each nation a color code based on how extensively it is subjected to NSA surveillance. The color scheme ranges from green (least subjected to surveillance) through yellow and orange to red (most surveillance).

The disclosure of the internal Boundless Informant system comes amid a struggle between the NSA and its overseers in the Senate over whether it can track the intelligence it collects on American communications. The NSA's position is that it is not technologically feasible to do so.

At a hearing of the Senate intelligence committee In March this year, Democratic senator Ron Wyden asked James Clapper, the director of national intelligence: "Does the NSA collect any type of data at all on millions or hundreds of millions of Americans?"

"No sir," replied Clapper.

Judith Emmel, an NSA spokeswoman, told the Guardian in a response to the latest disclosures: "NSA has consistently reported – including to Congress – that we do not have the ability to determine with certainty the identity or location of all communicants within a given communication. That remains the case."

Other documents seen by the Guardian further demonstrate that the NSA does in fact break down its surveillance intercepts which could allow the agency to determine how many of them are from the US. The level of detail includes individual IP addresses.

IP address is not a perfect proxy for someone's physical location but it is rather close, said Chris Soghoian, the principal technologist with the Speech Privacy and Technology Project of the American Civil Liberties Union. "If you don't take steps to hide it, the IP address provided by your internet provider will certainly tell you what country, state and, typically, city you are in," Soghoian said.

That approximation has implications for the ongoing oversight battle between the intelligence agencies and Congress.

On Friday, in his first public response to the Guardian's disclosures this week on NSA surveillance, Barack Obama said that that congressional oversight was the American peoples' best guarantee that they were not being spied on.

"These are the folks you all vote for as your representatives in Congress and they are being fully briefed on these programs," he said. Obama also insisted that any surveillance was "very narrowly circumscribed".

Senators have expressed their frustration at the NSA's refusal to supply statistics. In a letter to NSA director General Keith Alexander in October last year, senator Wyden and his Democratic colleague on the Senate intelligence committee, Mark Udall, noted that "the intelligence community has stated repeatedly that it is not possible to provide even a rough estimate of how many American communications have been collected under the Fisa Amendments Act, and has even declined to estimate the scale of this collection."

At a congressional hearing in March last year, Alexander denied point-blank that the agency had the figures on how many Americans had their electronic communications collected or reviewed. Asked if he had the capability to get them, Alexander said: "No. No. We do not have the technical insights in the United States." He added that "nor do we do have the equipment in the United States to actually collect that kind of information".

Soon after, the NSA, through the inspector general of the overall US intelligence community, told the senators that making such a determination would jeopardize US intelligence operations – and might itself violate Americans' privacy.

"All that senator Udall and I are asking for is a ballpark estimate of how many Americans have been monitored under this law, and it is disappointing that the inspectors general cannot provide it," Wyden told Wired magazine at the time.

The documents show that the team responsible for Boundless Informant assured its bosses that the tool is on track for upgrades.

The team will "accept user requests for additional functionality or enhancements," according to the FAQ acquired by the Guardian. "Users are also allowed to vote on which functionality or enhancements are most important to them (as well as add comments). The BOUNDLESSINFORMANT team will periodically review all requests and triage according to level of effort (Easy, Medium, Hard) and mission impact (High, Medium, Low)."

Emmel, the NSA spokeswoman, told the Guardian: "Current technology simply does not permit us to positively identify all of the persons or locations associated with a given communication (for example, it may be possible to say with certainty that a communication traversed a particular path within the internet. It is harder to know the ultimate source or destination, or more particularly the identity of the person represented by the TO:, FROM: or CC: field of an e-mail address or the abstraction of an IP address).

"Thus, we apply rigorous training and technological advancements to combine both our automated and manual (human) processes to characterize communications – ensuring protection of the privacy rights of the American people. This is not just our judgment, but that of the relevant inspectors general, who have also reported this."

She added: "The continued publication of these allegations about highly classified issues, and other information taken out of context, makes it impossible to conduct a reasonable discussion on the merits of these programs."

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...al-datamining#
    http://www.revivall.org/article-info...118372609.html
    Last edited by stomy; 9th June 2013 at 11:25.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stomy For This Post:

InCiDeR (11th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (10th June 2013), spiritguide (10th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (4th August 2013)

30. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Automatic Translation:

Who is Edward Snowden?

Ex-CIA technician, Snowden worked for four years at the NSA, as an employee of various subcontractors, including Dell and Booz Allen Hamilton, his former employer, when he made fuiter confidential documents. As he explained to British newspaper, he chose to reveal his own identity: "I have no intention to hide me because I know I did nothing wrong." The technician who worked in offices in Hawaii is not a money man, and he has chosen to sacrifice his comfortable salary of $ 200 000 for his ideals: "I wanted to sacrifice just because I could not, in good conscience, allow the U.S. government to destroy privacy, internet freedom and fundamental freedoms of people around the world with this massive surveillance machine he built secretly. "

On May 20, he flew to Hong Kong, claiming to have an operation to cure his epilepsy. He had already copied all the documents he wanted to be, and chose not to prevent his companion. "I do not think I can go back home," he says in the Guardian video, filmed in the former British colony.

What it revealed?

Thanks to documents leaked by Edward Snowden, the Guardian revealed Thursday, June 6 that the NSA, the U.S. National Security Agency, had asked the phone company Verizon information on the data of all its customers, whether they are suspected in cases in progress or not. This surveillance was authorized by a judge, from April 25 to July 19, 17 pm: the intelligence services have access during this time all telephone metadata largest telecommunications operator in the United States. This means both international mobile numbers, the equipment used, the duration and time of call. Everything except the content of the calls for U.S. citizens but also foreigners.

The Washington Post and then the British newspaper revealed Friday, June 7 that the intelligence services also have access to new servers Internet giants and micro-computer world like Google, Apple or Facebook to intercept communications of foreign Internet: the famous - and top secret - PRISM.

The authorities' response

The outcry caused by these revelations, the authorities were forced to react, and to clear the controversy. The Prism program is "legal" ensures James Clapper, the director of national intelligence. This program, authorized under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (for surveillance and intelligence abroad), and the Patriot Act passed one month after the September 11 attacks "was widely known and had been discussed publicly since his implementation in 2008, "he says. "Service providers provide information to the government when they are forced to do so by a court," he also said. The Prism program is not U.S. citizens or anyone who lives in the United States, he also assured. And the administration can not ask about a person living abroad "unless there is specific information justifying the request (...) and that it is reasonable to assume that the target is outside the United States "

Other espionage cases that have affected the Obama administration

These revelations appear while the Obama administration has to deal with many cases which are singled out the intervention of information in the private lives of some of these people or the questioning of the protection of journalistic sources.

First, the U.S. ruling would have tried to cover the responsibilities in the context of the attack against the consulate in Benghazi September 11, 2012. Then in May, an official of the IRS has leaked some of its employees had specifically targeted the Tea Party in their controls. Finally, three days later, the Associated Press (AP) revealed that the telephone lines of twenty of its reporters had been monitored as part of an investigation into leaks it received in 2012 (on an attempted terrorist attack has been thwarted in Yemen in 2012).

Sources:

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA monitoring revelations

guardian.co.uk

Edward Snowden: saving us from the United Stasi of America

guardian.co.uk

This abuse of the Patriot Act must end

guardian.co.uk

NSA whistleblower's warning: 'Just the tip of the iceberg'

washingtontimes.com

U.S. monitoring HAS 'expanded' under Obama, says Bush's NSA director

guardian.co.uk

http://www.revivall.org/article-edwa...118401026.html
    Last edited by stomy; 10th June 2013 at 15:07.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stomy For This Post:

cursichella1 (5th August 2013), InCiDeR (12th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (10th June 2013)

32. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stomy For This Post:

InCiDeR (12th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (10th June 2013)

34. Link to Post #18
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 times in 1,783 posts

PRISM is not only a shocking invasion of our privacy but it's also a violation against human rights. If the general public does not step in to nip this one at the bud, we will end up in a state of indentured servitude to the elite who stand to reap in enormous profits on a global level as a result of that initiative.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roisin For This Post:

InCiDeR (11th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (10th June 2013), stomy (12th June 2013)

36. Link to Post #19
    Sweden Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Tesseract (here)
    And never trust a democrat:

Its all Irony..

In the book 1984, three slogans of the Party stood out in bold capitals:
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

In Germany 1940, Signs at entrance to camps:
    "Arbeit macht frei"

"Labour makes (you) free".

Google, code of conduct:
    “Don’t be evil”

http://investor.google.com/corporate...f-conduct.html

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valle For This Post:

InCiDeR (11th June 2013), naste.de.lumina (10th June 2013), stomy (12th June 2013)

38. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

'Quit Google, Facebook' suggests tech expert as surveillance scandal deepens

A best-selling author and technology expert has said that web users should boycott internet giants like Google and Facebook if it is confirmed they were involved in a US surveillance programme referred to as Prism.

In an interview with Wired.co.uk, Professor Tim Wu of Columbia Law School suggested that consumers had a responsibility to leave social networks found out to be collaborating secretly with intelligence services such as the US National Security Agency:

"When you have enormous concentrations of data in a few hands, spying becomes very easy"

Tim Wu

"Quit Facebook and use another search engine. It's simple." He added, "It's nice to keep in touch with your friends. But I think if you find out if it's true that these companies are involved in these surveillance programs you should just quit."

Wu cautioned that he felt many facts were not yet verified but admitted he was not surprised to hear of the existence of Prism. News of the programme was, he said, "shocking and dispiriting".

"When you have enormous concentrations of data in a few hands, spying becomes very easy," said Wu. "So Facebook and Google were always obvious targets for any government that wants to know stuff about people."

Wu was speaking after giving a keynote speech to delegates of ORGCon2013, an Open Rights Group conference held in London on Saturday 8 June. Appearing to refer to Prism during his address, Wu asserted that the current situation was one of "crisis".

As part of his keynote, Wu described several historical examples of technologies having been used as tools of oppression or societal control, such as enforced propaganda radio broadcasts by the Nazi regime. He also commented that he felt web users ought to have a "visceral" sense of ownership over their online data.

In further comments made during interview, Wu criticised the track record of the Obama administration on civil liberty issues, saying that the Justice Department under Obama had, in his opinion, been, "a colossal disappointment in this respect".

Responding to remarks made by President Obama immediately following revelations on Prism, Wu said, "I think he is underestimating the degree to which people want to feel safe and secure from eavesdropping." Wu added, "I'm not relieved by his comments at all."

Wu is known for his views on "network neutrality", a phrase he coined in the title of a 2003 academic paper which argued that internet service providers and governments should give equal treatment to all data transmitted via telecommunications networks.

According to a leaked PowerPoint presentation, Prism is a secret intelligence programme created to enable members of the NSA to retrieve user data from co-operating technology companies such as Google, Facebook, Apple, Yahoo and Skype.

Jim Killock, Executive Director of Open Rights Group, told Wired.co.uk: "I think people need to seriously consider quitting [these] services and moving to ones which are located within Europe. But also the government needs to insist that legal rights and privacy rights should be applied to non-US citizens. After all, European governments respect the rights of US citizens. Why shouldn't they do the same?"

Referring to the breaking of the Prism story two days before ORGCon2013, Killock said, "It focused the minds of everyone at the conference." He added that many members of ORG believed "they had to do their part to stop such abuses".

Source: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...google-boycott
    http://www.revivall.org/article-goog...118447571.html

39. The Following User Says Thank You to stomy For This Post:

InCiDeR (12th June 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast