+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vipassana Meditation Centre : Preparing for my 12 days away: starts Tuesday

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,460 times in 1,155 posts

Default Vipassana Meditation Centre : Preparing for my 12 days away: starts Tuesday

I thought I would share a bit bout the experience I plan on having in a Buddhist type retreat which will include 10 days of silence and meditation.

Vipassana is one of India's oldest techniques of meditation, first taught 2,500 years ago. It is a practical method of self-awareness that allows one to face the tensions and problems of daily life in a calm and balanced way.

Has anyone here at Avalon had this type of experience?

My thoughts are that I can return to this thread after my mediation retreat which ends on June 24th and discuss my experience.

For those that wish to share some thoughts of their experience I sure would like to read your comments.

As for me, I have been already practicing my meditation.
    This week I achieved a four hour stretch of meditation followed an hour later by a two hour stretch.

So I feel confident that I should farewell at the retreat.

For those that wish to share some thoughts of their experience I sure would like to read your comments.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Vitalux For This Post:

bennycog (10th June 2013), bram (10th June 2013), Carolin (10th June 2013), fifi (10th June 2013), Fred Steeves (10th June 2013), giovonni (10th June 2013), Kryztian (10th June 2013), kudzy (10th June 2013), mab777 (10th June 2013), Nenuphar (10th June 2013), northstar (10th June 2013), Orph (10th June 2013), Padmé (10th June 2013), Shadowman (24th June 2013), sunflower (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (10th June 2013), Timreh (10th June 2013), Tony (10th June 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Australia Avalon Member bennycog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 times in 971 posts

Default Re: Vipassana Meditation Centre : Preparing for my 12 days away: starts Tuesday

Would be nice to follow you in silence Vitalux, I hope you enjoy your time away and gain lots of knowledge..

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bennycog For This Post:

chocolate (24th June 2013), Kryztian (10th June 2013), northstar (10th June 2013), Shadowman (24th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (10th June 2013), Timreh (10th June 2013), Vitalux (10th June 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 times in 215 posts

Default Re: Vipassana Meditation Centre : Preparing for my 12 days away: starts Tuesday

There was an interesting thread/post? I saw a few weeks ago on how a woman named Kiran Bedi had overwhelming success with a huge prison in India using Vipassana
    Quite remarkable!
    Best wishes, love to hear from you on this one!
    Leave no stone unturned...

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Timreh For This Post:

bram (10th June 2013), northstar (10th June 2013), Shadowman (24th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (10th June 2013), Vitalux (10th June 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 times in 199 posts

I would love to hear about your experiences when you return! Is the meditation retreat you are attending in Canada?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nenuphar For This Post:

northstar (10th June 2013), Shadowman (24th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (10th June 2013), Vitalux (10th June 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 times in 178 posts

I have.
    My advice is to go in there with zero preconceived notions.
    Be diligent the whole time, listen to what they ask of you.
    Its set up in a very calculated way that if you follow,
    its pretty much guarantee that they can prove vipassana to you in a 10 day course.
    In my opinion it cant be understood through experience in a shorter period.
    You will only be doing vipassana for days 4 on,
    the first 3 days will be anapana and concentration on breath only.
    This will focus your concentration enough so that you can practice vipassana.
    Your awareness needs to be very sharp to focus on sensations,
    most of the time we are far to dense.

Don't expect all sunshine and rainbows,
    when really doing vipassana correctly there will be many crests and troughs.
    The higher you go up, the lower you will eventually fall.
    Impermanence is our only guarantee here in this universe.

My only tips is try to forget your concept of time there,
    fall into their routine and schedule as best as possible.
    With practice and diligence, you will succeed.
    I will promise you that.

Good luck.
    Last edited by dpwishy; 10th June 2013 at 03:39.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dpwishy For This Post:

bram (10th June 2013), chocolate (24th June 2013), Fred Steeves (10th June 2013), kudzy (10th June 2013), northstar (10th June 2013), Shadowman (24th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (10th June 2013), Timreh (10th June 2013), Vitalux (10th June 2013)

11. Link to Post #6
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Nenuphar (here)
    I would love to hear about your experiences when you return! Is the meditation retreat you are attending in Canada?
    Yes The Ontario Vipassana centre is located North of Toronto.

Feel free to click on the link above to view their website.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vitalux For This Post:

Nenuphar (13th June 2013), northstar (10th June 2013), Shadowman (24th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (10th June 2013)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member kudzy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I did the Vipassanna Meditation retreat in Jessup, GA, USA in 2008. It was difficult, intense, profound and well, well worth it. I wish you all the best. I lapsed on the daily practice and really should go back and do another one soon. I did it with three friends, one dropped out after the first day. The rest of us completed the ten days. I was in extreme pain for most of it. I had a very powerful experience on day 5. I don't want to say too much, it's best not to have any expectations going in. I can say that the facilitators are very caring, loving people and the whole system is very well thought out and structured. I felt like I was in good hands. I broke one of their rules and felt really bad that I had. Follow the rules, be strong. You will be soooo thankful you gave that gift to yourself, I highly recommend it for anyone/everyone. Let me know when you are doing it and with your permission I'll send some positive thoughts your way. It was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Again, I really need to do another one soon.

I found it amazing how the mind can play tricks on you. At one point I was convinced it was cia front organization, I can assure you it's not. I like how they don't accept any money until you've completed the ten days and then it's up to you how much to give. My dreams were off the hook. I had a dream my Grandfather had died and I was pretty upset, he hadn't died, just my mind messing with me. Best Wishes.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kudzy For This Post:

bram (10th June 2013), chocolate (24th June 2013), Fred Steeves (10th June 2013), kanishk (10th June 2013), Nenuphar (13th June 2013), northstar (10th June 2013), Shadowman (24th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (10th June 2013), Timreh (10th June 2013), Vitalux (10th June 2013)

15. Link to Post #8
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,533 times in 475 posts

I heard stories about people who done vipassana, in the process many people feel pain in different parts of their body. Some people cough, sneeze a lot, some people got colds, headaches etc.

For Vipassana 'Visuddhimagga' (=Vishuddhimarga, = Path to Purification) is the book. Reading this book can do more good in Vepasanna centre.

Buddhaghosa wanted to translate Atthakatha (=commentaries) on Theravada written in Sinhalese. In Shrilanka he went Bhikkus wanted to know about his intelligence and knowledge before handing him Attakatha. So they asked him a question, and answer to that question is 'Visuddhimagga'. And then he became known for this book. This is the enriched book on Vipassana.

I feel the ways described in Vipassana use middle path, no extreme ends. Like the string of guitar, they have to be stretched not to tight or not too loose. Avoiding of these extreme ends makes Vipassana very very effective than meditation. In meditation people at first get some good feeling but after that they only hope for better but never got anything. Because Hatha yoga described in Gheranda Samhita etc. use too much extremes. They use to beat up the Kundalini shakti to forcefully go up and that itself prevents the person form advancing. Therefore if you look at those Yoga gurus they eventually become so egoistic, and by observing then they just pretend on surface too be very wise in thinking.
    Last edited by kanishk; 10th June 2013 at 07:20.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kanishk For This Post:

chocolate (24th June 2013), kudzy (10th June 2013), mab777 (10th June 2013), northstar (10th June 2013), Shadowman (24th June 2013), sunflower (25th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (10th June 2013), Vitalux (10th June 2013)

17. Link to Post #9
    Wales Avalon Member
    Thanks

Enjoy! And may many of those negative thoughts and feelings that have been suppressed for years come to awareness. As you let go of these negative emotions positive energy will flow. You may not have fireworks going off in your head with all kinds of hallucinogenic images, but you will have changed your reality. This may not be obvious at first, but he more you practice letting go, the more effortless life becomes. Sadhu!

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GarethBKK For This Post:

kanishk (10th June 2013), kudzy (10th June 2013), northstar (10th June 2013), Shadowman (24th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (10th June 2013), Vitalux (10th June 2013)

19. Link to Post #10
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

It's all about insight and seeing clearly.
    May your bum and mind be still.

Love,
    Tony
    www.buddhainthemud.com

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tony For This Post:

bram (10th June 2013), kanishk (10th June 2013), kudzy (10th June 2013), Nenuphar (13th June 2013), Shadowman (24th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (10th June 2013), Vitalux (10th June 2013)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 times in 256 posts

Coincidentally, I have just returned (yesterday) from my first 10-day Vipassana retreat. It is a carefully structured program to take you through 9 days of very intense training, from 04:00 am to 9:30 pm, and by the time you get to bed each night you will be exhausted.

The tenth day is a debriefing day really, to reintroduce you to the 'real' (illusory) world, and is the first day you are allowed to speak with your co-meditators. It was brilliant IMO.

But don't go with any preconceptions, just go with an open mind and an open heart. The discourses each day from old Goenka are also brilliant. You will hear the voice droning in your mind over and over.......'Start again.......' 'start again......'

Love, bram
    May all living beings (including you and me) find true happiness and remain healthy; may they be wise and compassionate in their actions, may they find lasting peace, and may no harm come to them. May all beings find the patience and endurance to deal with disappointment and failure, may they be released from karma and may they find enlightenment. May loving kindness fill the hearts of all living beings, near and far.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bram For This Post:

chocolate (24th June 2013), Fred Steeves (10th June 2013), kanishk (10th June 2013), kudzy (10th June 2013), Nenuphar (13th June 2013), northstar (10th June 2013), Shadowman (24th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (10th June 2013), Vitalux (10th June 2013)

23. Link to Post #12
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by kudzy (here)
    Let me know when you are doing it and with your permission I'll send some positive thoughts your way. It was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Again, I really need to do another one soon.
    Thank you so much ( as well as a big thank you to the rest who also expressed their thoughts as well)

I will be attending the Vipassana Centre from June 12 ( this Wednesday) until the Morning of June 24th.

My hopes is that after I complete the course, I can sign up for it again in the fall and hopefully be able to attend and volunteer.

I read that after a lapse of two years from originally doing a 10 day course one can register and attend a 20 day meditation retreat.
    Hopefully I will be able to achieve that goal as well.
    But for now, I just feel fortunate to be an attendee at this coming event.

After I complete the event I certainly will be returning to this thread and would enjoy gaining more of your feedback, such as how the experience changed your views or altered your behavior after the course.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vitalux For This Post:

bram (11th June 2013), Fred Steeves (11th June 2013), kudzy (10th June 2013), Shadowman (24th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (10th June 2013)

25. Link to Post #13
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks

Hi Folks.

I am back, and what an experience.
    10 days that has altered my mind in such a way that I am really unsure of just were to begin.
    I feel like I could write an novel about such an experience, so much to say in spite of 10 days of being somewhat isolated and in silence.
    It is life changing.

Goals achieved.

1. Finally really learned how to mediate.!It took seven full days of at least 10 hours a day of meditation before I reached my main break-though due to a series of smaller break-throughs.

2. Learned that art of quieting the mind, quieting self and how to observe.

3. Learned/ practiced the technique to sweep all sensations from the body.

4. Learned how to connect with the energy field which flows everywhere, but more specifically that energy field that flows though this being and body.

5. Learned/ discovered how to radiate that same energy as discussed in point 4 above outward in a feeling of Love, Compassion.

Would I do the 10 day course again? Yes, without hesitation. However first I would like to practice for about a year of constant ritual practice of meditation of at least 2 hours a day. Each sitting a minimal of 1 hour.

Mastering this ability to be able to sit with ones legs crossed I believe is a huge benefit. Most of the more advanced mediators I saw appeared to be able to sit completely still in that position for several hours at a sitting with no signs of stress.

Most of my difficulty I had was having to deal with adjusting my body to that sitting position. Although I was offered a chair to work from, I declined as I felt that it was crucial that I learned how to sit in that cross legged position on the floor. I truly believe, that due to the pain of going though all those leg cramps etc was a vital part of helping me achieve my final break though.
    Especially when at the end of 3 days of watching my breath and being aware of sensations I awakened to understand how misery, torment and pain the body is in always. We are just unaware of it.

After the silence had ended near the end of the course ( about the 10th day) while chatting with many of the other male students I was surprised to discover that many of them did not reach the same experience as myself, including Dominic.

I feel most fortunate, and somehow so much more alone.

Now here I sit a home, feeling like I am at a cross roads in my life. Awakened to the awareness that things change.

I need to go meditate for an hour and perhaps go for a walk and enjoy the day.

I shall return later.

I wish everyone Love

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Vitalux For This Post:

chocolate (24th June 2013), Fred Steeves (25th June 2013), Kraut (25th June 2013), kudzy (27th June 2013), sdv (24th June 2013), Shadowman (24th June 2013), Shamz (24th June 2013), sunflower (25th June 2013), Tony (25th June 2013), Zampano (24th June 2013)

27. Link to Post #14
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Dear Vitalux,
    Welcome back.

Love,
    Tony
    www.buddhainthemud.com

28. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member Shamz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Vitalux (here)
    Hi Folks.

I am back, and what an experience.
    10 days that has altered my mind in such a way that I am really unsure of just were to begin.
    I feel like I could write an novel about such an experience, so much to say in spite of 10 days of being somewhat isolated and in silence.
    It is life changing.

Goals achieved.

1. Finally really learned how to mediate.!It took seven full days of at least 10 hours a day of meditation before I reached my main break-though due to a series of smaller break-throughs.

2. Learned that art of quieting the mind, quieting self and how to observe.

3. Learned/ practiced the technique to sweep all sensations from the body.

4. Learned how to connect with the energy field which flows everywhere, but more specifically that energy field that flows though this being and body.

5. Learned/ discovered how to radiate that same energy as discussed in point 4 above outward in a feeling of Love, Compassion.

Would I do the 10 day course again? Yes, without hesitation. However first I would like to practice for about a year of constant ritual practice of meditation of at least 2 hours a day. Each sitting a minimal of 1 hour.

Mastering this ability to be able to sit with ones legs crossed I believe is a huge benefit. Most of the more advanced mediators I saw appeared to be able to sit completely still in that position for several hours at a sitting with no signs of stress.

Most of my difficulty I had was having to deal with adjusting my body to that sitting position. Although I was offered a chair to work from, I declined as I felt that it was crucial that I learned how to sit in that cross legged position on the floor. I truly believe, that due to the pain of going though all those leg cramps etc was a vital part of helping me achieve my final break though.
    Especially when at the end of 3 days of watching my breath and being aware of sensations I awakened to understand how misery, torment and pain the body is in always. We are just unaware of it.

After the silence had ended near the end of the course ( about the 10th day) while chatting with many of the other male students I was surprised to discover that many of them did not reach the same experience as myself, including Dominic.

I feel most fortunate, and somehow so much more alone.

Now here I sit a home, feeling like I am at a cross roads in my life. Awakened to the awareness that things change.

I need to go meditate for an hour and perhaps go for a walk and enjoy the day.

I shall return later.

I wish everyone Love
    thanks for sharing your experience....absolutely refreshing.
    I intend to do this meditation too sometime... In Georgia they have this retreat center...so hopefully i can spare up 10-15 days and sign up... but at the moment...corporate world has taken over my body ( not soul though)...so busy with surviving in this world...

thanks again
    Peace & Love
    ~~ Much Love
    In Lak'ech Ala K'in ( I am You and You are me )

+ Reply to Thread