Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How's and Why's of Alternative and Off grid living

1. Link to Post #1
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,270 times in 2,725 posts

Default How's and Why's of Alternative and Off grid living

Hello,
    Since many of us are thinking of going back to nature or have gone off grid already, I thought it is appropriate to discuss the How’s and why’s of the everyday alternative ways and brilliant solution to everyday problems that we each have come up or is planning to do. An example of which can be viewed at the link provided.

http://masalamail.blogspot.com/2012/...utions-to.html

I really hope that nobody is push that far, but who knows what the future holds. Post may discuss everything from house chores to garden, farm animals; work and energy or free or cheap energy production. We can also discuss alternative medicine and health foods (not the mainstream junks) . If you can back the info with experience and photos, then so much the better. Please do give an emphasis into the How’s and why’s as I intend this thread to be of fun way of learning. If you want to discuss the what where and when then we have the here and now thread.

For starter let me discuss how our family do the laundry. We do the laundry almost every day but only use soap once a week. Six days we use chlorine only. Reason chlorine is a very good disinfectant thus clothes stay fresh even during rainy days when there is no sun to dry the clothes immediately. 3 grams of chlorine, equivalent to $.025 is all it takes to wash 3 kg. of fabric. Moreover, one rinse is enough since the remaining chlorine if there is any quickly evaporates. In one year only one kilogram of chlorine is needed. The reason we use soap once a week is to remove the accumulated oily dirt from perspiration. We also add 2 to 3 tbs of salt in the rinse water to enhance the color of fabrics.

With regards to food. I had recently confirmed an old belief in our community. I use to play soccer and baseball during school days. During in house training our coaches insist on shell or fish soap because according to them it helps in making though athletes. Confirmation is on this link.
    http://truthquest2.com/oceanplasma.htm

Old belief is confirmed by scientific data and vice versa. I am planning to gather ocean plasma but right now we contend on having shell and squid they pack a lot of sea water. I have posted this on other threads, I am posting it here again because it is the best single substance for our body and also the most abundant on earth.
    We hope to hear your everyday brilliant solutions. Plans as well as actual experience are welcome.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Anchor (17th June 2013), Another1 (16th June 2013), chocolate (16th June 2013), Christine (16th June 2013), Fred Steeves (16th June 2013), Lazlo (16th June 2013), mab777 (17th June 2013), northstar (16th June 2013), Rosieposie (16th June 2013), RUSirius (16th June 2013), sigma6 (17th June 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,835 times in 3,731 posts

Default Re: How's and Why's of Alternative and Off grid living

I am going off grid and I set myself the parameters of not having to give up too much of what I have become used to - mainly electricity for all the time saving devices in the house and kitchen and of course water pressure!

Electricity has been the most expensive part for me. Also its been tiresome dancing around all the Australian regulations that really want to stop you doing anything DIY.

Anyway, I have nearly done it and I love talking about it - learned a lot about it and happy to share.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Another1 (16th June 2013), Bubu (16th June 2013), Carmen (18th June 2013), chocolate (16th June 2013), greybeard (16th June 2013), Lazlo (16th June 2013), mab777 (17th June 2013), Positive Vibe Merchant (19th June 2013), Rosieposie (16th June 2013), RUSirius (16th June 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

I am going off grid and I set myself the parameters of not having to give up too much of what I have become used to - mainly electricity for all the time saving devices in the house and kitchen and of course water pressure!

Electricity has been the most expensive part for me. Also its been tiresome dancing around all the Australian regulations that really want to stop you doing anything DIY.

Anyway, I have nearly done it and I love talking about it - learned a lot about it and happy to share.

Halo Anchor, Yes that's the whole point of this thread. To educate each and everyone of us so we can bring the luxuries of modern technology in our off grid homes. If you are near a river or creek you may want to have a Hydraulic Ram pump for water pressure and who knows someone out there may share his free energy device. Care to share your brilliant solution?

6. Link to Post #4
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

I have found changing my daily habits to being one of the first things on the path of independence, and quite empowering as you can do it whenever you feel ready to tackle another area of your life. One of the biggest things I have found that has helped in our circumstances is the reduction in eating meat and wheat. Almost everything we eat can now come from our not so huge amount of land. Plus my health has improved DRAMATICALLY. Every bodies bodies are different but I actually get extremely lethargic and off after eating meat with a flu like body ache(exception being fish). SO my advice would be to evaluate what you have in your diet, listen to your body, and if you can grow it yourself, do so!

Just a few tidbits off the top of my head: I have found using baking soda once a day to brush my teeth instead of toothpaste has improved my dental health so much although it is a bit of a taste lol. I have picked up a hand blender second hand for 50 cents which was a worthy find. Another thing is we cannot afford solar panels but have found solar lights which last about 6 hours and are adequate lighting for reading, and whatever else you need in the evening for about $30, just put in the sun in the morning and free lighting in the evening, at the least good emergency lighting and they have a decent lifespan . We would like to build or buy a solar oven as we have the sunlight here! Look into those for cooking.

Most changes we have made are gradual, a little change every day, most of it is a change in how you think and then that becomes a change in what you do.
    "I don't care" is a civilizations death sentence

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rosieposie For This Post:

Bubu (16th June 2013), chocolate (16th June 2013), Knowrainknowrainbows! (18th June 2013), Lazlo (16th June 2013), sigma6 (17th June 2013)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Lazlo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,735 times in 581 posts

The single most important factor is choosing where to live. As mentioned earlier, local regulations can make it nearly impossible to be self sufficient. When I did it, I chose an area with no building codes or enforcement agencies. I had the freedom to do whatever I wanted and never once had to deal with the "authorities."

Second on my list is mental attitude. As long as you maintain the right perspective, off grid living is a fun and exciting challenge. If you get frustrated easily it can be a nightmare. There is a pretty steep learning curve involved.

Third is planning the build with off grid living in mind. There is a wealth of resources out there, and just as many solutions. The important point is that it is far more expensive and time consuming to make retrofits, and the results are less optimal than if you designed and built it right the first time. It seems obvious, but what works in a dry and warm environment might make for a mold infested death trap in a cool wet place. Look at home designs endemic to your area that were built before the introduction of modern conveniences. The ones that are still around are that way because they were built right the first time and people found them comfortable. A great example of this is the high ceilings, transom windows, and covered porches of the US antebellum south.

The nuts and bolts of how to do it are really very site and personality specific. There is certainly no one size fits all solution.

Disclosure: I was off grid for about 3 years but chose to opt back into the system when I got married and had children. There were a lot of factors that went into the decision, but the prime "rationalization" for me is that I work for a renewable energy company and do far more than my fair share. (I know, it is a bogus excuse and sounds like Al Gore explaining his mansion

My wife and I are looking for the right piece of property and are planning on going back off grid. The previous place had inherent limitations that were easy to deal with for a single person or couple, but put serious constraints on quality of life for an entire family.

It is not for everyone, and even if it turns out to be temporary, you will learn valuable lessons that can be applied to a plugged in lifestyle.
    Just because I took the red pill, it doesn't mean that I washed it down with the koolaid

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lazlo For This Post:

Bubu (16th June 2013), chocolate (16th June 2013), mosquito (17th June 2013), Rosieposie (17th June 2013), RUSirius (16th June 2013), sigma6 (17th June 2013)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

I copy pasted this from the other thread I think it is related here

Re: Essential reading for all Avalonians (Post #154)
    May I add mine?

Bicycle for transport.- Also you may Install an old fashioned dynamo use to power bicycle lighting; works by pressing on the wheel. This can be used to charge
    battery packs which can be used for various purposes.

Battery packs -one or more for each bicycle. Can also be connected to solar panel grid

For drinking water- http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/hawaiira...009%5B1%5D.pdf

magnifying glass -to start fire

Solar cooker and rocket stove that is fueled by small twigs- Save the trees.

Kelp -I harvest mine

ocean plasma -http://truthquest2.com/oceanplasma.htm

borax http://educate-yourself.org/cn/borax...y03jul12.shtml, http://www.nexusmagazine.co.nz/resou...s1904Borax.pdf

Hydraulic Ram pump- if you are near a river or creek or spring

Rolled plastics -for your aqua phonics green house. Include aqua phonics supplies such as containers and water pump. Also include a CO2 generator in case atmospheric CO2 is captured which is very much likely. Another option is to get a small diesel engine to power various purposes. Can be fueled by small amount of diesel, Idle condition, and wood gas. 1 liter diesel = 4 kg wood. Exhaust is use to augment CO2 for green houses. Sources of mushroom spawn; mudfish or catfish fingerlings for aqua phonics. I have it all covered my family will surely survive. Not really as long as there are lose guns out there that don’t have food, Rick Grimes and company will never be safe.

Sea Salt- of course. Include for plants also http://www.ehow.com/how_6040322_fertilize-sea-salt.html http://www.gardenguides.com/135778-f...-sea-salt.html

Seeds. - I have seed trays made of wire mesh you can buy wire mesh and cut to desired size and folded at the sides. Every seed in our kitchen go into these trays once dried I pack them in plastics. Perennials such as papaya are preferred. http://www.guerrillagardening.org/ggseedbombs.html http://www.permaculture.com/node/140
    Although to be honest I do not know how we can grow our plants once they started capturing the CO2 in the air. You see this is the whole point of it. Once they collapse the economy people will be driven back to the land and of course the road back to self-sufficiency, in other words out of their control, and they knew it. The big picture from their perspective is this; collapse the economy; prevent them from producing their own food and offer a bladed solution.
    I agree with the others let us not waste the opportunity to educate the others
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 16th June 2013 at 22:10. Reason: fixed copied links

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Anchor (17th June 2013), chocolate (16th June 2013), Lazlo (17th June 2013), mosquito (17th June 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (17th June 2013), Rosieposie (17th June 2013), sigma6 (17th June 2013)

12. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

Quote Posted by nature (here)
    For starter let me discuss how our family do the laundry. We do the laundry almost every day but only use soap once a week. Six days we use chlorine only. Reason chlorine is a very good disinfectant thus clothes stay fresh even during rainy days when there is no sun to dry the clothes immediately. 3 grams of chlorine, equivalent to $.025 is all it takes to wash 3 kg. of fabric. Moreover, one rinse is enough since the remaining chlorine if there is any quickly evaporates. In one year only one kilogram of chlorine is needed. The reason we use soap once a week is to remove the accumulated oily dirt from perspiration. We also add 2 to 3 tbs of salt in the rinse water to enhance the color of fabrics.
    Hi nature, I like the chlorine idea with laundry. Is this just regular pool chlorine you're talking about?

Thanks,

Fred

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

"Hi nature, I like the chlorine idea with laundry. Is this just regular pool chlorine you're talking about?"

Yes it's regular pool granulated chlorine. It is basically use as bleach in our community. I got the idea of trying it because soap is very difficult to rinse, normally 3 cycles, if not properly rinse it is kind of itchy because of lye in soap.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Ron Mauer Sr (17th June 2013)

15. Link to Post #9
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,656 times in 21,533 posts

Quote Posted by nature (here)
    I got the idea of trying it because soap is very difficult to rinse
    I use vinegar as my "fabric softener" ... my washing machine has a dispenser for some liquid fabric softener that it uses near the end of its various cycles. Vinegar helps dissolve any lingering soap.

For "soap", I use a tablespoon or two of some homemade soap. Each batch of the homemade soap contains 1 cup Borax (sodium tetraborate), 1 cup Washing Soda (sodium carbonate) and one finely ground Fels-Naptha bar soap. Use a good grater - it's easier and results are better. I doubt I'm the only one making similar home laundry soap mixes, as my local Wal*Mart has all three of these ingredients side by side on the same shelf.

One can stock pile a fair quantity of these ingredients in minimal space, for minimal cost.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Fred Steeves (17th June 2013), Lazlo (17th June 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (17th June 2013), Rosieposie (17th June 2013)

17. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Use a good grater - it's easier and results are better.
    I recommend the Microplane 38000 Professional Coarse Grater

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bubu (17th June 2013), Lazlo (17th June 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (17th June 2013)

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Thanks Paul I will try that on my once a week soap laundry. I prefer chlorine as they are easy to use; dirt cheap 1 kg = 1 year use. That's about $7 and more importantly saves a lot of water.

CAUTION: when using chlorine granules be sure it is thoroughly dissolve in water before putting the fabrics. DO NOT POUR CHLORINE DIRECTLY INTO FABRIC. Use proper measure 3 gm for every 40 liters of water. You can adjust the concentration according to your preferences however too much chlorine will dissolve the color in fabric while too little will not wash away dirt.
    Last edited by Bubu; 17th June 2013 at 02:26.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

21. Link to Post #12
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,265 times in 2,136 posts

When the electric washing machine is no longer useable, here is another option.

The plunger can be ordered from Amazon.
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 17th June 2013 at 04:54.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Rosieposie (17th June 2013), Zelig (17th June 2013)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

The cost of converting solar energy to electricity can be moderately costly to extremely expensive. It all depends on how much one is willing to change one's lifestyle.

In a small to medium sized solar electric system, these items will not work:
    • Electric hot water heater
    • Air conditioning
    • Automatic dishwasher
    These items need special attention:
    • Conventional refrigerator. My refrigerator consumes 25% (250 watt hours) of the total energy captured by the solar panels (1000 watt hours) on a bright summer day. Smaller high efficiency appliances are available such as Sunfrost, Sundanzer and Novacool. Or use a propane powered refrigerator similar to the Dometic (search the site for refrigeration).
    • Hot water. An on demand propane water heater is recommended, preheated with a solar hot water system. Other propane powered options will also work.
    • Hair dryer. This is useable because it is not used for a significant time duration. However,depending upon the inverter size, it may not work during periods of high demand by a deep well water pump. My experience with a 2000 watt inverter was that a deep well water pump would not start when the hair dryer was being used unless the batteries were fully charged.
    • Deep well water pump. A capacitor start motor (3 wires with a control box) is more easily started than an induction start pump motor (2 wires). In the U.S. most deep well pumps are 230 VAC.
    • In the U.S. where appliances use either 115 VAC or 230 VAC, an auto-transformer is needed to double the output voltage of the inverter. Some expensive dual inverter systems may not require this. An alternative solution for the well pump is to use a Grundfoss 120 VAC submersible pump. The Grundfoss is designed to start with less current than a conventional well pump.
    A very useful device to create an energy survey of appliances currently being used is the P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

mosquito (17th June 2013)

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Those who depend on a well for water should consider making an emergency well bucket for use during times when electricity is not available.

The bucket need only be lowered to the water level within the well. Do not think it must be lowered to the bottom of the well which can be very deep.

The cost of material is a little over $20 for the buckets I've built.

The PVC pipe diameter should be small enough to pass by the plumbing and electric wires inside the well casing. If you have an emergency well bucket you will never run out of water. Operation is simple. Use a rope to lower the bucket into the well casing until the bucket initially floats, then slowly sinks as the check valve opens allowing water to fill the bucket from the bottom. When the bucket is lifted the check valve closes keeping the emergency well bucket full.

I prefer a simple swing check valve (no springs) to the spring loaded foot valve shown in the following video.

Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 17th June 2013 at 05:44.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Anchor (17th June 2013), gripreaper (17th June 2013)

27. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

A very popular solution in Australia is this, a 24V DC submersible pump (SHURflow 9325). No batteries required, just a small controller and two 85W solar panels.

Obviously it only pumps when the sun is out, but that is usually when you need more water anyway. I use mine to refill my 20,000L irrigation tank when its hot and no rain to fill the tank. My system is pumping up about 20m of bore, and then another 60m up a hill. I get about 300 litres per hour. When I don't need anymore I just flip a switch, which disconnects the panels. In the summer, you get more water with the greater sun hours. In the winter there is more rain anyway. Its quite a harmonious system

http://www.rpc.com.au/solar-systems/...ore-pumps.html
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

chocolate (17th June 2013)

29. Link to Post #16
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

Quote Posted by rmauersr (here)
    When the electric washing machine is no longer useable, here is another option.

The plunger can be ordered from Amazon.
    Well heck Ron, I've already got a plunger in the bathroom...

30. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    For "soap", I use a tablespoon or two of some homemade soap. Each batch of the homemade soap contains 1 cup Borax (sodium tetraborate), 1 cup Washing Soda (sodium carbonate) and one finely ground Fels-Naptha bar soap. Use a good grater - it's easier and results are better. I doubt I'm the only one making similar home laundry soap mixes, as my local Wal*Mart has all three of these ingredients side by side on the same shelf.
    Cant buy Borax here anymore, it is banned in Australia

Not even as fertilizer.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

ThePythonicCow (17th June 2013)

32. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Anchor (here)
    Cant buy Borax here anymore, it is banned in Australia

Not even as fertilizer.
    Damn.

From that link:
    Regardless of the lack of any scientific credibility, the stage has been set for borax and boric acid to be globally removed from public sale at short or no notice. Even low-level and less effective boron tablets are now tightly controlled by the pharmaceutical industry, and may be restricted at any time through Codex Alimentarius regulations. With this the medical-pharmaceutical system has safely defused any potential danger that borax may have posed to its profitability and survival.
    I think I'll get some more Borax next time I'm out .

I use Boraxo powdered hand soap to wash my hands when they get greasy and grimy. I use Borax to wash my clothes. I take boron supplements.

(I have zip, zero, nadda problems with arthritis - never have - joints are fluid and easy moving in my mid 60's now.)

Better stock up. It's shelf life is longer than my body's remaining shelf life, so I should be good.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bubu (18th June 2013), chocolate (17th June 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (17th June 2013)

34. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Dehydration may be one of the best methods to preserve food.

Dehydrate2Store has uploaded some very informative Youtube videos of the dehydration process.

If electricity becomes unavailable, solar energy (non-electric) can still be used for dehydration. Here is a link to home built designs. And more.
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 17th June 2013 at 15:24.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Bubu (18th June 2013), chocolate (17th June 2013)

36. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Thanks Ron, at least I will save my foot with the plunger washer.

For a drier the undisputed source of heat is the roof. My idea is to run a PVC pipe from the roof apex , where hot air collect, down and leading to drying chamber with a small suction fan delivering the hot air from the apex to the drying chamber.
    This also serves to cool the ceiling. I actually got this idea during a very hot day when I touched the ceiling which has become hot and radiate heat inside the house.

I agree with using the 24v to power the pumps directly from the panel. It will extend the usable lifespan of batteries which determines the operating cost of solar powered systems.

Borax is definitely hard to find nowadays. Any suggestions on how to acquire it, Homemade perhaps?
    Last edited by Bubu; 17th June 2013 at 16:28.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast