+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ecovative: Styrofoam-like bio-materials out of mushrooms...

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,307 times in 873 posts

Default Ecovative: Styrofoam-like bio-materials out of mushrooms...

It is a commercial product... Patented Nevertheless the method might be of some use... Potentially could be "homemade"...

It uses "mycelium, a fungal network of threadlike cells" to bond farm waste into structural material. It is biodegradable and it's production is sustainable.

An interview with Eben Bayer in NewScientist outlining the idea:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.Ub7Fb_k9K9E

Product website:
    http://www.ecovativedesign.com/about-ecovative/history/
    Last edited by Robert J. Niewiadomski; 17th June 2013 at 13:41. Reason: changed: project's website to product website, ch. Eric to Eben
    Best wishes and free energy to all
    Robert

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robert J. Niewiadomski For This Post:

chocolate (17th June 2013), Chrononaut (17th June 2013), nomadguy (18th June 2013), Open your eyes (17th June 2013), Sunny-side-up (17th June 2013), william r sanford72 (18th June 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Default Re: Ecovative: Styrofoam-like bio-materials out of mushrooms...

But are there any chemical compositions hazardous to nature's environmental habitats when they are disposed?

IF we are able to live in their environment with minimal disturbance or destruction, I can't help but believe it's the Creator's way.
    I also had a... I don't know what you would call it, but those million dollar homes in Colorado, were once where the bears, wolf, badger, mountain lion, and deer recently lived, and were run out for capitalism, without any consideration for the habitat. I think if they were gonna live in the woods, they should have had twenty foot fences with, electrified low volt fencing or barbed wire, surrounding their home perimeter/property to prevent the animals from coming in, instead of having wolf hunts, and killing of mother bears and lions. Another thingy that's perplexed my logic the last few years...why would people move into the woods, hike in and say, hey this would be a great jogging path. Then go jogging without a gun to protect a mountain lions pounce, or frighten an animal off? Even wolves respond to gunshots and will scurry away.
    just never made sense to me, that's all.

Did you guys see news on ABC where a guy road a mammoth sized shark and there was common sense to not harm it, but swim with it?
    The message/trumpets of peace are blowing and all of God's/Creator's creation, are responding.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

Robert J. Niewiadomski (17th June 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,307 times in 873 posts

Default Re: Ecovative: Styrofoam-like bio-materials out of mushrooms...

This "technology" is not new. The patent is dated December 2009... Some "big evil corporations" are using it for packaging already...
    Here is full patent text for this technology:
    http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publi...=&locale=en_EP
    http://worldwide.espacenet.com/maxim...307969A1&KC=A1
    Funghi species names included. The patent text is a detailed blueprint for obtaining this material for home use...

On page 28(2) one can read that initial "waste" (called fruition body in patent) have to be prepared before inoculating with funghi (no spores, mycelium only). The treatement varies depending on the desired properties of final product and includes soaking in water, applying steam, saturation in acetic acid (vinegar) or immersing in glycerol. Nothing harsh imho. The final product is heated and dehydrated to stop funghi growth and assure no spores are left. Biodegrading will left same matter mixture as composting garden waste would left imho... 100% naturall.
    Best wishes and free energy to all
    Robert

+ Reply to Thread