+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic Pole Shift Discussion

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

Default Re: Magnetic Pole Shift Discussion

Apparent to whom, may I ask?..I won't rule out that which I don't know, what might be possible or impossible, but I feel that a physical pole shift is very improbable.
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

2. Link to Post #22
    New Zealand Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Oh Paul the Administrator says so and Todd Hathaway agrees

And yes I am being facestious.

I don't think anyone can be so absolute to say "impossible, your choice of improbable is more appropriate. Yet we have evidence of it possibly happening. I find the vacuum of this thread a tad unsettling and irresponsible
    Last edited by Fractalius; 28th June 2013 at 22:02.

3. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 times in 1,408 posts

ANYTHING is always possible. Especially when we don't know anything about anything.

If theres a painting and we only know/see one brush stroke of the whole entire painting. Then we argue about the brush stroke and wht it is and what it will be, then another brush stroke is revealed. So then more arguing occurs of wht it is and wht it will be.

Well ANYTHING is possible when the whole painting is uncovered and all jaws drop because we HAD NO CLUE.
    We X Billions want to change the world and it appears we are......
    PARADISE IS POSSIBLE EVERYWHERE 4 EVERYONE

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CD7 For This Post:

MorningSong (29th June 2013), Reinhard (29th June 2013), Snookie (1st July 2013)

5. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

Word's getting out about the "cycles" tying Earth changes and space weather to the human events on the planet:

See the thread and link here at "More Cycles":

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post695369
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

6. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,089 times in 20,639 posts

I don't remember what book I read about this in, perhaps it was one of Velikovsky's, but there was an explanation about something which had previously been one of those scientific mysteries.
    It had to do with inexplicable phenomena such as animal bodies found flash frozen in glaciers with green vegetation still in their stomachs.
    I can't remember what caused the catastrophe which the author claimed caused the inexplicable phenomena,, but I was reminded of it when I listened to Drunvalo's interview.
    He talks about what would happen if there is a dramatic loss of Earth's magnetic field (which he said is dropping now).
    According to the scientific studies he said he had seen, in a zero magnetic field, the rock foundation of the continents would basically liquify, and so the continents would be very mobile until the magnetic field was restored.
    If that has ever happened before, then it could by an explanation as to why the frozen animals were found with green vegetation in their stomachs.
    They might have been on a continent which had previously been in position on the Earth's surface to get a lot of sunlight, but was suddenly moved to a freezing climate which got very little.

There does seem to be evidence of a drop in the magnetic field:
    http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpre...ield+weakening
    Last edited by onawah; 30th June 2013 at 22:58.
    Each breath a gift...

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

fifi (10th July 2013), MorningSong (30th June 2013), Wind (30th June 2013)

8. Link to Post #26
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I found the book I was referring to, and it is one of Velikovsky's, entitled Earth in Upheaval.
    His theories of catastrophes in Earth's history had to do with changes caused by movements of the bodies in the solar system, and at this Wikipedia link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Velikovsky
    there was this:"Of all the strands of his work, Velikovsky published least on his belief that electromagnetism plays a role in orbital mechanics. Although he appears to have retreated from the propositions in his 1946 monograph Cosmos without Gravitation, no such retreat is apparent in Stargazers and Gravediggers.[27] Cosmos without Gravitation, which Velikovsky placed in university libraries and sent to scientists, is a probable catalyst for the hostile response of astronomers and physicists to his later claims about astronomy.[28] However, other Velikovskian enthusiasts such as Ralph Juergens (dec.), Earl Milton (dec.), Wal Thornhill, and Donald E. Scott have claimed that stars are powered not by internal nuclear fusion, but by galactic-scale electrical discharge currents. Such ideas do not find support in the conventional literature and are rejected as pseudoscience by the scientific community."

But the theories about the electric universe such as James MacCanney and Nassim Haramein are putting forward are gaining more acceptance now.

The following is from:
    http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpre...ength-weakens/

"Earth’s weather descends into chaos as magnetic field strength weakens
    Posted on December 23, 2010 by The Extinction Protocol

Earth's magnetic field protects all life on Earth by shielding the planet from dangerous solar and cosmic radiation. It even creates a polarity field that repels other large bodies from crashing into our planet; so what happens when it disappears?
    December 23, 2010 – AUSTRALIA – The weather on planet Earth is becoming more chaotic- its vital atmospheric life- regulating systems which make life habitable on the planet are failing one by one. Every planetary climatic system is in some degree in disarray- El Nino, La Nina, the Artic Oscillation, the Intertropical Convergence Zone, the Jet Stream. Extreme weather events are increasing in both severity and intensity across the globe. In August of 2010, Pakistan was ravaged by the worst flooding in the country’s history- a full on-fifth of the country was underwater. Colombia’s flood story is eerily similar, and so was Eastern Europe’s. While the Northern hemisphere baked in a record heat-wave which spanned the globe from Japan to the Caribbean; Argentina, Boliva, Peru saw some of the harshest winter conditions in their countries’ history.

Earth’s magnetic field is weakening. The shield has been exhibiting convulsive patterns of irregularity during episodes of global tremors which appears to be rising in intensity and frequency acoss the planet. National Geographic said, “Earth’s magnetic field is fading. Today it is about 10 percent weaker than it was when German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss started keeping tabs on it in 1845, scientists say. If the trend continues, the field may collapse altogether and then reverse. Compasses would point south instead of north.”
    Last edited by onawah; 30th June 2013 at 23:36.
    Each breath a gift...

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (1st February 2018), Limor Wolf (12th January 2015), Revere (1st July 2013), Snookie (1st July 2013)

10. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Is it possible for one of the planets in Nibiru's system to have an attraction pole facing our pole visa north/south and draw Earth in an orbit?

I was thinking like a tow truck to the other side?LOL

If the planet's broke and in need of repair, who else but God and the Creator, to do just that?
    Last edited by Lifebringer; 1st July 2013 at 00:56. Reason: Joke but still curious about it.

11. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

I was reading up on this thread and thought it may help others to determin the names of the 3 polls to understand a little bit better even tho you have described it very good. A short vid, I can remove it if you like. Just let me know

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WaveRider For This Post:

MorningSong (1st July 2013)

13. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I think there are whole websites devoted to ideas like that, Lifebringer.

Quote Posted by Lifebringer (here)
    Is it possible for one of the planets in Nibiru's system to have an attraction pole facing our pole visa north/south and draw Earth in an orbit?
    I was thinking like a tow truck to the other side?LOL

I know this will not go over with a lot of people, but I'm going to jump in here even so because I think it's fascinating.
    In the interview with Drunvalo, he said that scientists are concerned because the magnetic field is weakening much faster than they had originally thought it would.

The Mayans think it will reach it's lowest point sometime between now and 2016, according to Drunvalo, because the pace of the process is increasing exponentially.

It's easy to dismiss what the Mayans say if you have a Western mindset, since they offer no scientific proof, and have been so reticent about their reasoning.
    But they and the Hopi (who were actually also Mayans) have been spot on about a lot of things that science has ignored, but later discovered was at least somewhat based on scientific fact.

Such as their prediction (which Mayan elder Don Alejandro revealed) that there would be 3 days of darkness during our transition from a yellow to a white star.

Some time after he went public with that, there was a report on a study in which a star was observed doing just that, a yellow sun transforming to a white sun!

Alejandro and Drunvalo both said that it would cause dramatic earth changes if it happens here, but that the closer our connection to the Earth, the easier it will be, and that it is actually the way that the planet will jump to a higher dimensional vibration.
    Last edited by onawah; 1st July 2013 at 22:14.
    Each breath a gift...

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Calz (1st July 2013), greybeard (1st July 2013), Snookie (1st July 2013), Teo (24th August 2013), Wind (1st July 2013)

15. Link to Post #30
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    where ever there is a smile, ill be there :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 times in 1,702 posts

So if north and south shift does east and west ? if so a muslim brother of a high order may have the information you require.

N
    N

16. Link to Post #31
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,734 times in 543 posts

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	aurora.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	22528   Click image for larger version

Name:	ssn_predict_l.gif
Views:	187
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	22691  
    Last edited by Redstar Kachina; 5th April 2015 at 00:15.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redstar Kachina For This Post:

fifi (25th August 2013), Foxie Loxie (1st February 2018), mab777 (25th August 2013)

18. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

If the suns magnetic poles flip then ours will too the whole 11 year thing is bull **** 2003 nov 3 or 4th was stronger then 2001 and 2012 so cut the bull. The sky will look like when you put a metal bar across two battier terminals lots of static and arcs. You know if the ice caps reach a critical mass melting point and fresh water goes into the ocean then all the streams switching can also create a magnetic pole switch. Bottom line is

melting of salt creates electricity haarps all around the world could do it then nasa blames it on the sun. I'll tell you what take some tin foil wrap a fully charged gps unit until the power goes out. Take it out if the gps is working but no lights then you just caught the lie if im wrong it was still a fun experiment. See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil the blind monkeys lol

19. Link to Post #33
    Retired
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,050 times in 3,027 posts

An interesting reference by a scientific whistleblower with regards to a potential (non physical) magnetic pole shift derive from the decrease in the magnetic field. This is delivered by Linda Moulton Howe, and according to her there is something wrong with earth's core.

From the video -

"Another fundemental question that is being raised in many Science Papers now, the magnetic field of our planet earth indicates that the earth magnetic field has decreased ten times faster than normal just in the first six months of 2014.."

What is important here, because it may or may not be related to all the booms, metalic sounds etc, is that a new research in volcanic ash in Italy, that has been done by an Italian scientist working with Paul Renee, he is a PHD professor of earth and planetary sciences and he is a director of the Berkeley Geo-choronology center at EC Berkeley. And they did a study which was published a couple of months ago, that when they go back in the ash which is a very good record of Magnetic field changes, where there's been layers of undisturbed Lava ash, that's what geo - physicists want to go into .. it did this up and down magnetic field strength of the earth change for a hundred years and then came the big change when the north pole and the south pole switched their magnetic polarity. And it's been north in the Arctic and south in the antarctic for 786,000 years. It is possible we are in the century when it is finally going to change and the north is going to be in the south and the south in the north.. we are long over due to one of those Magnetic earth changes.. there could be a lot of problems with birds, there could be a lot of problems with marine animals, nobody knows what happens.

When the magnetic field of our planet which is a great protector weakens, more cosmic rays, more solar energy particles gets to the surface of the earth, than when the magnetic field is normal or stronger. Well, that have some impact.. there is a build up of the polarity on the electrons and when they finally get to a point that there is enough of them in this build- up, it's timing is mysterious, then there will be this change.

There are mysteries around us, one of the greatest one is that we are on a dynamic planet with a dynamic core and it is full of unknowns and we are at a century where it seems that at every level the core of the earth appears to be changing. There are all kinds of strange phenomena, I think this is a fair statement - it is unprecedented."

Bill has provided a very good explanation in a previous post -
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post694171
    Last edited by Limor Wolf; 12th January 2015 at 20:40.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Limor Wolf For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (1st February 2018), Jean-Luc (12th January 2015), Jean-Marie (12th January 2015), MorningSong (12th January 2015)

21. Link to Post #34
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 times in 699 posts

Hello Everyone:
    Get ready for the earth's magnetic field to shift. Sometime that's for sure.
    chancy

Link:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/earth-mag...121100003.html

Article:
    Earth’s Magnetic Field Is about to Flip—and a ‘Giant Lava Lamp’ in Earth’s Core Is Driving Force
    [Newsweek]
    Paula Koelemeijer
    NewsweekMay 16, 2017
    View photos
    Earth’s Magnetic Field Is about to Flip—and a ‘Giant Lava Lamp’ in Earth’s Core Is Driving Force

This article was originally published on The Conversation. Read the original article.

If you could travel back in time 41,000 years to the last ice age, your compass would point south instead of north. That’s because for a period of a few hundred years, the Earth’s magnetic field was reversed. These reversals have happpened repeatedly over the planet’s history, sometimes lasting hundreds of thousands of years. We know this from the way it affects the formation of magnetic minerals, that we can now study on the Earth’s surface.

Several ideas exist to explain why magnetic field reversals happen. One of these just became more plausible. My colleagues and I discovered that regions on top of the Earth’s core could behave like giant lava lamps, with blobs of rock periodically rising and falling deep inside our planet. This could affect its magnetic field and cause it to flip. The way we made this discovery was by studying signals from some of the world’s most destructive earthquakes.

Trending: Manchester United Players Have 38 Million Reasons To Win Europa League
    View photos

Supercomputer models of Earth's magnetic field.
    NASA

Around 3,000km (1,900 miles) below our feet—270 times further down than the deepest part of the ocean—is the start of the Earth’s core, a liquid sphere of mostly molten iron and nickel. At this boundary between the core and the rocky mantle above, the temperature is almost 4,000 degrees Celsius (7,200 degrees Fahrenheit), similar to that on the surface of a star, with a pressure more than 1.3 million times that at the Earth’s surface.

On the mantle side of this boundary, solid rock gradually flows over millions of years, driving the plate tectonics that cause continents to move and change shape. On the core side, fluid, magnetic iron swirls vigorously, creating and sustaining the Earth’s magnetic field that protects the planet from the radiation of space that would otherwise strip away our atmosphere.

Because it is so far underground, the main way we can study the core-mantle boundary is by looking at the seismic signals generated by earthquakes. Using information about the shape and speed of seismic waves, we can work out what the part of the planet they have travelled through to reach us is like. After a particularly large earthquake, the whole planet vibrates like a ringing bell, and measuring these oscillations in different places can tell us how the structure varies within the planet.

Don't miss: How Aziz Ansari's 'Master Of None' Talks About Interracial Dating In A Way Other Shows Can't
    nasa earth interiornasa earth interior
    View photos
    nasa earth interior

Nasa image showing Earth's interior. Scientists propose the core acts as a giant lava lamp, influencing the planet's magnetic field.
    Dixon Rohr/NASA

In this way, we know there are two large regions at the top of the core where seismic waves travel more slowly than in surrounding areas. Each region is so large that it would be 100 times taller than Mount Everest if it were on the surface of the planet. These regions, termed large-low-velocity-provinces or more often just "blobs," have a significant impact on the dynamics of the mantle. They also influence how the core cools, which alters the flow in the outer core.

Several particularly destructive earthquakes over recent decades have enabled us to measure a special kind of seismic oscillations that travel along the core-mantle boundary, known as Stoneley modes. Our most recent research on these modes shows that the two blobs on top of the core have a lower density compared to the surrounding material. This suggests that material is actively rising up towards the surface, consistent with other geophysical observations.
    New explanation
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis
    View photos
    Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis from space. Aurorae are caused by the interaction of particles in the solar wind with Earth's magnetic field.
    Print Collector/Getty Images

Most popular: Trump’s Classified Intelligence Leak to Russia ‘Highly Damaging,’ Says Ex-CIA Deputy Director

These regions might be less dense simply because they are hotter. But an exciting alternative possibility is that the chemical composition of these parts of the mantle cause them to behave like the blobs in a lava lamp. This would mean they heat up and periodically rise towards the surface, before cooling and splashing back down on the core.

Such behaviour would change the way in which heat is extracted from the core’s surface over millions of years. And this could explain why the Earth’s magnetic field sometimes reverses. The fact that the field has changed so many times in the Earth’s history suggests that the internal structure we know today may also have changed.

We know the core is covered with a landscape of mountains and valleys like the Earth’s surface. By using more data from Earth oscillations to study this topography, we will be able to produce more detailed maps of the core that will give us a much better understanding of what is going on deep below our feet.

Paula Koelemeijer is a Postdoctoral Fellow in Global Seismology at the University of Oxford

22. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,014 times in 784 posts

Quote Posted by kersley (here)
    I came across this video last night and thought I share it with you all. This guy makes a lot of sense indeed..
    Enjoy..
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=yfEZMzGp_rs
    It's marked private!

Note from Bill: 'last night' was 25 June, 2013.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 17th May 2017 at 04:47.

23. Link to Post #36
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,014 times in 784 posts

That would be "earth crustal displacement" a theory Einstein supported as possible. I believe the theory is that the surface of the Earth floating on lava is like an orange with a very loose peel/skin.

If something like a very large celestial body whips past us it could grab one of our poles and whip us North or South by 30 degrees or more. Some suggest this is why we have 5 extra days in our "new calendar" and why we are tilted on our axis. Or perhaps how mammoths froze with flowers in their mouth....instant deep freeze! Ideally Canada moves to the Equator !

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Bruno (17th May 2017)

25. Link to Post #37
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,520 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by chancy (here)
    Hello Everyone:
    Get ready for the earth's magnetic field to shift. Sometime that's for sure.
    Yep.

From Zero Hedge, today:
    The Earth's Magnetic Field Is Shifting, Poles May Flip: "This Could Get Bad"

"The shield that protects the Earth from solar radiation is under attack from within. We can’t prevent it, but we ought to prepare..." is the ominous sub-headline of a worrisome new report that shows scientists around the world fearing that the earth's magnetic field is shifting, with potentially disastrous consequences for mankind.

"When next the poles change places, the consequences for the electrical and electronic infrastructure that runs civilization will be dire. The question is when that will happen."

As SHTFplan.com's Mac Slavo notes, scientists from the University of Colorado in Boulder are sounding the alarm that the Earth’s magnetic poles are showing signs of reversing. Although the pole reversal, in and of itself, isn’t unprecedented, the solar winds that would take out the power grid and make parts of the globe uninhabitable could cause widespread disasters.

The Earth has a fierce molten core that generates a magnetic field capable of defending our planet against devastating solar winds. This magnetic field is vital to life on Earth and has weakened by 15 percent over the last 200 years. This protective field acts as a shield against harmful solar radiation and extends thousands of miles into space and its magnetism affects everything from global communication to power grids.

Historically, Earth’s North and South magnetic poles have flipped every 200,000 or 300,000 years. However, the last flip was about 780,000 years ago, meaning our planet is well overdue. The latest satellite data, from the European Space Agency’s Swarm trio which monitors the Earth’s magnetic field, suggest a pole flip may be imminent.

The satellites allow researchers to study changes building at the Earth’s core, where the magnetic field is generated. Their observations suggest molten iron and nickel are draining the energy out of the Earth’s core near where the magnetic field is generated. While scientists aren’t sure why exactly this happens, they describe it as a “restless activity” that suggests the magnetic field is preparing to flip.

The signs of the Earth’s poles reversing are also apparent to Daniel Baker, who says this would devastate the power grid.
    If a switch happens, we would likely be exposed to solar winds capable of punching holes into the ozone layer. In a new report, Baker, who is the director of the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics at the University of Colorado in Boulder, claims if this reversal happens, it is likely to render some areas of the planet “uninhabitable” by knocking out power grids.

Baker’s comments were made in an in-depth Undark report written by Alanna Mitchell, who has a new book about the topic titled “The Spinning Magnet: The Electromagnetic Force that Created the Modern World and Could Destroy It.”
    “The dangers: devastating streams of particles from the sun, galactic cosmic rays, and enhanced ultraviolet B rays from a radiation-damaged ozone layer, to name just a few of the invisible forces that could harm or kill living creatures,” Michelle writes.

“This is serious business,” Richard Holme, Professor of Earth, Ocean, and Ecological Sciences at Liverpool University told MailOnline.
    “Imagine for a moment your electrical power supply was knocked out for a few months – very little works without electricity these days.”

"No lights. No computers. No cellphones. Even flushing a toilet or filling a car’s gas tank would be impossible. And that’s just for starters."
    Researchers predict that in the event of a flip, every year a hundred thousand people would die from the increased levels of space radiation. Radiation at ground level would increase so much that some estimates suggest overall exposure to cosmic radiation would double causing more deaths from cancer.

“Radiation could be 3-5 times greater than that from the man-made ozone holes. Furthermore, the ozone holes would be larger and longer-lived,” said D. Colin Forsyth from the Mullard Space Science Laboratory at UCL.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 1st February 2018 at 12:47.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (1st February 2018), Baby Steps (1st February 2018), Ewan (1st February 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st February 2018), littleOne (1st February 2018), Nasu (1st February 2018), Navigator (2nd February 2018), ZoSo925 (1st February 2018)

27. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,741 times in 1,499 posts

That all sounds very scary. But is there any evidence that 'imminent' means within a few years, or has that word been taken out of context when 'imminent' really means gradually in the next few hundred/thousand years?

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

avid (1st February 2018), Bill Ryan (1st February 2018), Ewan (1st February 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st February 2018), littleOne (1st February 2018), Nasu (1st February 2018)

29. Link to Post #39
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,520 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Nick Matkin (here)
    That all sounds very scary. But is there any evidence that 'imminent' means within a few years, or has that word been taken out of context when 'imminent' really means gradually in the next few hundred/thousand years?
    Right. To balance all this, here's a more measured article, very easy to digest (of course!), published yesterday by National Geographic. (That great bastion of accurate information and perspective!)

Note the use of the term GEOLOGICALLY imminent. That means quite something else.
    No, We're Not All Doomed by Earth's Magnetic Field Flip.

Many times over our planet’s history, Earth’s magnetic poles have reversed, meaning that sometimes a compass pointing north will be aimed at Antarctica rather than the Arctic. This might sound strange, but it’s a relatively predictable quirk. Powered by the machinations of the planet’s spinning iron core, this process of geomagnetic reversal has been doing its thing without much fanfare for eons.

That is, until this week, when a book excerpt describing the phenomenon appeared online. Shortly afterward, numerous websites began trumpeting the doomsday around the corner, a geomagnetic apocalypse in which tumors run rampant, satellites fall from the sky, and life on Earth will cease to exist as we know it.

True, life on Earth almost certainly will be different than it is today in multiple thousands of years. But will these polar acrobatics have much to do with that?

First things first: Are we all going to die?

Yes.

Wait, what!

We are all going to die, eventually. But chances are that we will not immediately — or even proximally — perish when Earth’s next geomagnetic reversal occurs.

Fine. So what is a geomagnetic reversal?

If geologic history repeats itself, Earth’s magnetic poles should eventually swap places. This much is undeniable. Based on the magnetic fingerprints locked into ancient rocks, we know that over the last 20 million years, magnetic north and south have flipped roughly every 200,000 to 300,000 years (this rate has not been constant over the planet’s lifetime, though). The last of these major reversals occurred about 780,000 years ago, although the Poles do wander around in between these larger flips. (What’s more, climate change seems to be shifting Earth’s geographic poles.)

That means we’re a bit overdue for a total reversal, and some data do, in fact, suggest that a geomagnetic reversal is geologically imminent. But this does not mean a polar flip-flop is going to happen tomorrow, or even any time soon, and we’d put good money on North still being in the Arctic for a while — although neither we nor anyone else knows when the next total reversal will actually happen.

OK. But if it happens soon, won’t that be bad?

Also unclear. Scientists estimate that past polar flips have been rather sluggish, with north and south migrating to opposite positions over thousands of years. This is both good and bad if you’re concerned about how a geomagnetic reversal will affect life on Earth.

The sluggish polar meander is good, because it means we have time to prepare and can do our best to ameliorate any unpleasant effects before they get really unpleasant. But it’s bad, because our planet’s magnetic field helps shield us from damaging solar and cosmic radiation, and a protracted flip means Earth might be slightly less protected from harmful space rays for longer than we would like.

It’s also not very dramatic, because it means you won’t suddenly wake up and find out that your smartphone thinks Santa’s workshop is in the Southern Hemisphere.

Bummer, that sounds boring. So what will we actually notice?

The only major, noticeable effect that’s guaranteed to occur when the polar flop is finished is that your compass needle will tell you that North is in Antarctica and South is somewhere near Canada. This will make the names of the American continents temporarily confusing (at least, on a geologic time scale) but it’ll make for a good story in classrooms.

Another interesting consequence will be that animals that use Earth’s magnetic field for navigation — including birds, salmon, and sea turtles — could get lost during their routine journeys. Eventually they will sort this out, and all other things being equal, life will go on. Lots of doomsday prophets have tried to equate geomagnetic flips with mass extinctions, but the data just aren’t there.

So there’s nothing at all to worry about?

Not exactly. It’s true that when the poles do reverse, Earth’s magnetic field could get weaker — but its strength is already quite variable, so that’s not necessarily unusual, and there’s no indication it will vanish entirely, according to NASA. Why? Because it never has.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 1st February 2018 at 13:57.

30. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (1st February 2018), Baby Steps (1st February 2018), bluestflame (1st February 2018), Ewan (1st February 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st February 2018), Hervé (1st February 2018), Ivy23 (2nd February 2018), Nasu (1st February 2018), Nick Matkin (1st February 2018), onevoice (1st February 2018), Wind (1st February 2018)

31. Link to Post #40
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Thank you so much for the update. I followed this for awhile and had forgotten about it until now...so this is great info!😀

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st February 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st February 2018), Nasu (1st February 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast