+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is USA a better place to live in?

1. Link to Post #41
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: Is USA a better place to live in?

in the hearts of my friends

2. The Following User Says Thank You to carnavas For This Post:

naste.de.lumina (14th July 2013)

3. Link to Post #42
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,459 times in 1,312 posts

That's a sweet answer, but it doesn't address your issue. Unless you you mean you want to be with your friends.
    Your heart should know where you need to be, for whatever is next for you. Ask it before you fall asleep.
    Until you get an answer, and you will.
    You may spend time rehashing all the fearful components, but that will calm down if you persevere.
    The fearful parts are all imaginary. But asking outside of yourself, you'll get more confirmation that they are real, than confirmation that they're not.
    Fear aside, you can make your own choice. Don't let fear make it for you.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markpierre For This Post:

carnavas (13th August 2013), naste.de.lumina (14th July 2013)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,676 posts

Quote Posted by AriG (here)
    Quote Posted by carnavas (here)
    İ really want to know your opinion
    ;t's been 13 years that my family has applied for usa.now they have responded and granted us visa and greed card but the question remains..
    Carnavas,

I think you summed it up with your Freudian slip. Not having ever lived in Iran, I cannot advise you regarding the differences, but I can tell you that the US is a false Republic, propped up by Oligarchy with a false economy. That is the big picture. On a micro level, you will find that this country is populated with primarily warm hearted and decent people. As in the case of all media reports, you only hear of the outliers, not the rule. Each state or region is almost a country in itself. You will find cultural, behavioral, social and economic differences based upon which state or region in which you choose to settle. For example, were you to choose coastal Louisiana, you would find a rich French heritage that permeates the culture. Head over to South Florida, and you will find a rich Latino/Cuban culture mixed with transplants from across the country and globe. Move over to the Carolinas and you will encounter the "old boys" network wherein old money and influence prevail with tones of English/Irish influence and head up to the Midwest and find no nonsense German/Scandinavian types with a no frills outlook and a crazy intense work ethic. LA? Ah, skip it. Its always 72 degrees there, the work ethic is absent as are the morals- it would violate your senses. Keep in mind that you have to get into the "heart" of the region to fully experience the culture. If you travel the major highways, the US looks like a boiler plate edition of the mini mall from hell.

Another big culture shock is that in the US, you are pretty much in a "sink or swim" environment. We have very few social protections and also being a Fascist nation, the corporations dictate your life and lifestyle. If you can assimilate into the corporate culture and play the game without losing your soul? You should do very well. Should you get sick, grow old, have a disability or be unable to meet your financial obligations? You could end up on the street. This is a disposable society and unfortunately, the corporate mindset has evolved to consider "human resources" part of the dispensable commodities.

You will also find that our culture has evolved to be uninformed, crude, crass, immoral, materialistic, etc. etc. It may contradict your values if you are of the Muslim faith.

If your only motivation is financial you might be happy here. If quality of life is your priority? Not so sure.

Hope this helps.
    Living in and traveling all over the US, this is a fantastic summation and a very insightful post... although I must confess I'm somewhat confused about the implied opportunity that the US offers to those who are financially motivated. The US is certainly not barren completely of financial opportunity, but the days of strolling into town with a shirt on your back, a couple pennies, and the necessary drive to become a millionaire (or even less ambitious) financially independent are nil and of an era long since gone.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 14th July 2013 at 17:30. Reason: fixed quote formatting

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

carnavas (13th August 2013), naste.de.lumina (14th July 2013), risveglio (14th July 2013)

7. Link to Post #44
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by markpierre (here)
    That's a sweet answer, but it doesn't address your issue. Unless you you mean you want to be with your friends.
    Your heart should know where you need to be, for whatever is next for you. Ask it before you fall asleep.
    Until you get an answer, and you will.
    You may spend time rehashing all the fearful components, but that will calm down if you persevere.
    The fearful parts are all imaginary. But asking outside of yourself, you'll get more confirmation that they are real, than confirmation that they're not.
    Fear aside, you can make your own choice. Don't let fear make it for you.
    Thanks alot.fear is something to deal with. yeah I know in the end I'm alone to answer myself.but I just want different opinions and perspectives on living there so that I could have the biggest picture possible
    Thanks again my friends!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to carnavas For This Post:

naste.de.lumina (14th July 2013)

9. Link to Post #45
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,159 times in 1,454 posts

not to be flippant but you could try flipping a coin! Heads you go Tails you stay.......when the coin comes up and says for example Heads (you go) and you feel great, you have your answer, if you feel like Maybe the best 2 out of 3 is the way to go, you still have your answer!! (stay)

My parents left Ireland to get married in Canada.....they had me and went back when I was 2......they spent the rest of their lives moving back and forth ....when I got married to a Canadian (having sworn I would NEVER do that to my kids...moving them back and forth all the time).....I ended up moving back to Ireland and my parents were still here in Canada......they were waiting to see if I would stay before they decided to come and live there again (missing their grandkids more than life itself) ......I had the idea that if we stayed my kids would grow up realize they had Canadian citizenship and move back to Canada so I thought I would preempt this move by moving back to Canada while they were still relatively young.......and of course when they got older they started talking about moving back to Ireland.....
    One year when we were over on holidays for Christmas as my mother was crying and saying goodbye at the airport, she asked me 'Why are you doing this to us??" .......my auto response was ' Because you did this to your mother".........My point is, once you experience another country, unless you truly hate it, you will never be settled again......my parents are in their late 70s now and still talk about moving back to Ireland.
    Its a tough decision especially with the possibility of war coming to your homeland......but its also very unsettling to leave the place you were raised in and love........Im probably not helping you here at all.....but wishing you the best either way!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earth Angel For This Post:

carnavas (13th August 2013), naste.de.lumina (14th July 2013)

11. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,528 times in 32,788 posts

-------

I was last in the US a little over a year ago. I traveled widely (Miami, Phoenix, San Diego, LA, Spokane), and it was superficially highly attractive as always. The convenience of large clean shopping malls everywhere, excellent service, Whole Foods, Jamba Juice and Starbucks, Apple Stores in every city, restaurants where you know exactly what you'll get, blue skies, and a great deal of really beautiful country.

But it was always skin deep, I could sense that all was not well -- like a person who looks really healthy at first glance but who's carrying some dreadful disease deep within their vital organs. All the signs of serious ill-health are there if one takes even a brief close look.

This why I'm in Ecuador. (Some of the details are on this thread.)

I very much wish the world was different, but it's just not. What we don't know is how bad things are going to get, and when. The analogy I often use is that we're tracking Europe in something like 1937-38. We're watching Hitler carefully, many of our friends don't want to listen to our concerns, and some of us are planning to leave Germany and Poland before it's too late.

12. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

4evrneo (17th July 2013), Bluewool (18th July 2013), Camilo (14th August 2013), carnavas (13th August 2013), fifi (16th July 2013), Jake (14th July 2013), kanishk (15th July 2013), Limor Wolf (14th July 2013), MorningSong (14th July 2013), naste.de.lumina (14th July 2013), Peace&Love (14th July 2013), RUSirius (16th July 2013), Teo (16th August 2013), Wind (14th July 2013), Yoda (15th July 2013)

13. Link to Post #47
    Hungary Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 times in 236 posts

[QUOTE=Peace&Love;702068]
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    -------

I was last in the US a little over a year ago. I traveled widely (Miami, Phoenix, San Diego, LA, Spokane), and it was superficially highly attractive as always. The convenience of large clean shopping malls everywhere, excellent service, Whole Foods, Jamba Juice and Starbucks, Apple Stores in every city, restaurants where you know exactly what you'll get, blue skies, and a great deal of really beautiful country.

But it was always skin deep, I could sense that all was not well -- like a person who looks really healthy at first glance but who's carrying some dreadful disease deep within their vital organs. All the signs of serious ill-health are there if one takes even a brief close look.

This why I'm in Ecuador. (Some of the details are on this thread.)

I very much wish the world was different, but it's just not. What we don't know is how bad things are going to get, and when. The analogy I often use is that we're tracking Europe in something like 1937-38. We're watching Hitler carefully, many of our friends don't want to listen to our concerns, and some of us are planning to leave Germany and Poland before it's too late.
    Thank you.
    I just wonder why Ecuador... I heard George Green went there Snowden wanted to go there. According to the 2012-201? prophecies of inevitable future, Would Ecuador remain as the only safe piece of land on earth... what about the rest of us ?

PS
    With all the disinfo going on, and prophecies that never fulfill of the end of the world, i put my money on that nothing of Armagedon type of thing will happen as the higher dimensional beings would not let it be, as they have done time and time again. Maximum a human sort of negative actions and they will not interfere such as Hitler crusade, where we humans had to stop it. That's my 2 cents on it
    Last edited by Peace&Love; 14th July 2013 at 18:29.

14. Link to Post #48
    Thanks

You might consider coming to the USA for a vacation and taking a look at the food prices, for sale homes, rental homes and explore the job market via internet -- if you have USA internet access.

My personal opinion -- unless you are super-qualified and have employment lined up for you -- in other words your company relocates you to the USA -- or unless you have family here who can provide the very same -- I personally would not consider re-locating.

IMHO -- it would be very difficult -- if you do not know anyone -- to find employment -- the job market is atrocious, even top college graduates cannot find a job.

If you are self-employed and financially independent -- if you have an internet based business -- that you can operate from anywhere in the world -- then you might consider working here -- after some research there are areas where the internet is very fast -- FIOS and secure --

Just my thoughts -- I came to the USA in 1980 -- and it was very difficult for me to find my footing.

Good luck

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eva08 For This Post:

carnavas (13th August 2013), naste.de.lumina (14th July 2013), Peace&Love (14th July 2013)

16. Link to Post #49
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

is usa really a better place with better economical opportunities and freedom or this is all just lies and İran has better quality of life and environment?
    What particular freedoms are you looking for? Can you be specific? We have youtube and all that but is there anything else you're looking for? Forgive my ignorance but I know so little about your culture. If I could ask you a bunch of questions regarding the role of women and how they differ from each other between Saudi Arabia, Iran and Afghanistan that'd be great. Anyway...

I can't speak for LA but it's not too hard to find a job over here (North Florida). The thing is given your age, it'll be the type of job where you're working 40+ hours a week with little money left after expenses. That will provide you with a place to live and a car to drive. (generally speaking) You could also deck your apartment out with giant tv's and whatnot if you're into that kinda thing.

The general theme is to 'get your degree' but that in itself isn't necessarily accurate. You will need vision and persistence. If nothing else, have money saved up for a return trip so if you don't like it here you can bail.

Also keep in mind that a lot of what's being said here about America is seriously out of touch. That's okay, I'm not upset or anything, just straightening out facts.
    Last edited by Strat; 14th July 2013 at 19:36.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

carnavas (13th August 2013), Mark (11th August 2013), naste.de.lumina (14th July 2013), Peace&Love (14th July 2013)

18. Link to Post #50
    Brazil Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,529 times in 1,350 posts

Quote Posted by Peace&Love (here)
    Thank you.
    I just wonder why Ecuador... I heard George Green went there Snowden wanted to go there. According to the 2012-201? prophecies of inevitable future, Would Ecuador remain as the only safe piece of land on earth... what about the rest of us ?
    Hey friend.
    I did not know they were planning to rename Brazil to Ecuador.

19. Link to Post #51
    Hungary Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 times in 236 posts

Quote Posted by naste.de.lumina (here)
    Quote Posted by Peace&Love (here)
    Thank you.
    Hey friend.
    I did not know they were planning to rename Brazil to Ecuador.
    I think they said everything below the northern hemisphere, so you are safe my friend!
    Last edited by Peace&Love; 14th July 2013 at 20:07.

20. Link to Post #52
    United States Avalon Member gripreaper's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,685 times in 3,744 posts

Anyone who uses the context of the last 80 years in America as a basis for their future decisions is making a mistake. There was a reason America was "allowed" to grow and prosper as it did in the last century, and those parameters no longer apply.

If you understand what happened in the 1930's and 40's with the extraterrestrial crafts and aliens, the need to back engineer the technology which was acquired from these craft, and the need to develop a technological society to undertake the tasks necessary to fulfill the many agendas associated with these events, then you have the context for why America prospered so well in the last century.

Not only the surface economy in the US, which is larger than the next six economies combined, but the underground black ops economy which has been siphoned off and hidden, to fund projects which were to be kept out of the public domain, mark the last century's prolific growth in America.

Due to the magnitude of the projects which were planned, eg: back engineer stellar craft, zero gravity propulsion, developing and building stellar craft, other planet outposts, underground cities, genetic research and modification, and management of resources and populations and the balance of power, it was necessary that the elite chose the US at the time, as the most beneficial population to train and recruit for their endeavors.

This is no longer the case.

Now that the elite have almost all of the things they wanted to develop in the last century, the corporatocracy of the US now needs to be purged, scaled back to maintenance levels, and the balance of power shifted into other regions of the globe. The controlled demolition of this country is underway, and will take time to dismantle without causing too much consternation and revolt. It's not easy to scale a corporation (the US) back from full production, and redistribute the corporate assets to maintenance levels, but that is what is taking place.

I do not recommend coming to the US at this time, as the next 20 years will be very deflationary, asset values in all asset classes will decline, as well as production, gross GDP, and the amount of fiat currency circulating through commerce, and the available capital for capital improvements, or to put at risk for development. This will cause the redistribution of wealth into the hands of the few while wiping out the middle class.

While this is occurring, debt obligations will skyrocket, as well as managing the huge base of the aging population with dwindling resources. More and more competition will ensue as people try to adjust to a declining economy, scarce resources, and limited growth. Bankruptcies will skyrocket, people will fall into foreclosure, and many businesses will fail and be sucked up by the banksters.

This controlled demolition started in earnest in 2008 and remains in full force. Those who choose to remain here in the US need to change the context from which they view the future, scale back their obligations, and prepare to "hunker down" for an extended period of time as this country transitions from being the largest most stable economy on the planet to an impoverished third world country.

Were not talking about the billionaire boys club here. You have to be a trillionare to even get a seat at the table.
    Last edited by gripreaper; 14th July 2013 at 20:44.
    "Lay Down Your Truth and Check Your Weapons
    The Next Voice You Hear Will Be Your OWN"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhS69C1tr0w

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gripreaper For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th July 2013), carnavas (13th August 2013), Mark (11th August 2013), MorningSong (15th July 2013), naste.de.lumina (14th July 2013), Peace&Love (14th July 2013), risveglio (14th July 2013), RMorgan (11th August 2013), RUSirius (11th August 2013), ThePythonicCow (15th July 2013)

22. Link to Post #53
    United States Avalon Member cloud9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,796 times in 663 posts

Carnavas,

I am 54 year old woman who came to live in the US in 2.001 when I was 40. I'm Colombian and this is important for what I want to tell you.

I lived in my country for 40 years, things were relatively fine because we were used to the way things were. When you don't have anything else to compare with, well... that's all you know.

My country has been plagued by war for almost 50 years but it's not an open war and it's not everywhere. This war we know of through the tv and newspapers because I lived in the capital and it was just regular city life with a lot of stress and traffic. What I really mean it's that even though there's a war, I never had to live in it, it was in rural places and small towns.

As my country has been known everywhere as a dangerous place where Pablo Escobar used to live and drugs are more common than food I can tell you that I have never ever seen cocaine in my life and I don't know the smell of marihuana and never had friends or relatives using drugs either. I'm saying this because contrary to popular beliefs, not all (actually a minority) of Colombians are drug traffickers or criminals.

Now, in the 80's I saw many movies that portrayed the States as a very dangerous place. I used to see (in the movies, thanks Hollywood!) terrible things happen to women in the New York subway and many drug addicts everywhere. For many years I thought I would never ever live in a place like that, it was just horrible!

Well, I was going to hit my 40s and in my country is very hard to find a job at that age so I started learning english as a way to find a better job and future. While taking my classes I started hearing people that they were learning the language because they wanted to come here and one day I started to consider the same option. Our economy was terrible, I had lost my business and decided to give it a try.

Just after a few months of being here I had this feeling of: "I wish I had come here 20 years earlier" and I still think the same way. I've never regretted my decision and I'm grateful I'm here.

This is a huge country that has many things to offer and even more so to somebody who is young and willing to learn and work. You are very young and the fact that you already have a green card and speak the language it's going to make everything easier for you; I didn't have any of that, no green card, no language, no family, no friends, no money… and I survived.

My only "concern" is that your religious beliefs may clash at the beginning with the open and some times "crazy" behaviors of many here but just keep in mind that this is a different culture and also you'll find in this country people from everywhere and all of them adapt themselves very well to the environment.

There are groups and organizations from every country that support their people and you'll have your family with you. Don't be afraid, you'll find friends and opportunities here. American people are kind and understanding, as everybody else they are making their lives and raising families.

To end my long post, just as the rest of the world sees my country as a dangerous place which is not and I used to perceive the US as dangerous and terrible through the movies, everything is a matter of perception. You see, in any city you'll find the good and the bad neighborhoods, the happy and the bitter, etc.

Having a green card doesn't force you to live here forever, give it a try and see if you like it. If you don't, in the future you can go somewhere else and it will be easier than moving out of your country now, there are many places that you can go but I'm sure you'll love it.

23. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cloud9 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th July 2013), carnavas (13th August 2013), danstar (16th July 2013), eva08 (15th July 2013), genevieve (16th July 2013), Mark (11th August 2013), MorningSong (14th July 2013), Peace&Love (15th July 2013), Strat (14th July 2013), The Potter (13th August 2013), ThePythonicCow (15th July 2013)

24. Link to Post #54
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by gripreaper (here)
    Anyone who uses the context of the last 80 years in America as a basis for their future decisions is making a mistake. There was a reason America was "allowed" to grow and prosper as it did in the last century, and those parameters no longer apply.

Not only the surface economy in the US, which is larger than the next six economies combined, but the underground black ops economy which has been siphoned off and hidden, to fund projects which were to be kept out of the public domain, mark the last century's prolific growth in America.

This is no longer the case.

Now that the elite have almost all of the things they wanted to develop in the last century, the corporatocracy of the US now needs to be purged, scaled back to maintenance levels, and the balance of power shifted into other regions of the globe.

Those who choose to remain here in the US need to change the context from which they view the future, scale back their obligations, and prepare to "hunker down" for an extended period of time as this country transitions from being the largest most stable economy on the planet to an impoverished third world country.
    Very well said!
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

carnavas (13th August 2013), gripreaper (16th July 2013), Peace&Love (15th July 2013)

26. Link to Post #55
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,844 times in 876 posts

Most of these posts have very perceptive observations. But as I approach age 70, I lack the resources and healthy mobility to make such a transition; otherwise, I would move to Ecuador in a minute. And I say so having traveled extensively in my twenties and thirties to six continents where I met many wonderful people.

Many USA reared citizens are extremely naive about such a transition and aren't cut out to successfully leave and add value to their adopted new home land. So I hope they will stay in the USA rather than pollute emerging countries with their fantasies and free ride attitudes.

Meanwhile the rest of us will continue to override the perverse manipulation of psychopathic USA leadership which is a valuable goal, too.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

carnavas (13th August 2013), gripreaper (16th July 2013), Peace&Love (15th July 2013), RMorgan (11th August 2013), ulli (11th August 2013)

28. Link to Post #56
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,729 times in 2,903 posts

Quote Posted by Chinaski (here)
    $ = freedom. Well put Donk.

Like everyone else I've always wanted to be rich...but not for the material goods. I want the money for the time it would buy me, and the freedom to do what I want whenever I please.
    How is one "free" if they must rise every morning at 8am and go to a job that won't allow them to return home till 5? A job that they likely abhor. So called 'freedom' is a myth. Capitalism is really a form of bondage. Slavery.

And the so-called 'american work ethic'...bullish!t! I don't know how the people have been brainwashed into considering it a precious value to bust your ass for meager wages while somebody else gets rich...and then be expected to be grateful for it.
    Don't get me wrong: I do believe in working hard to attain goals and so on, but only if its in line with your integrity.
    Ahhh, someone finally nailed it, I think the only thing that counts is figuring out a way to work for yourself... I find the people of the USA to be some of the nicest people I ever met, much more down home, then typical Canadians, But money is what it is all about exactly for the reasons you mention. FREEDOM, the Government and the cops are designed to be a balance to that freedom. And that balance is swinging way too hard against it right now... Life is good if you can stay as long and far way from the Government , courts and cops as possible, at least until you can get yourself established. It's all commercial, and during tough economic times the government courts and cops use the public as their woopee cushion... And we are in tough economic times, and the US economic debt system is about to roll over a waterfall in a wooden barrel.

One of the reasons for tearing apart the Middle East is because they are looking for funds (oil, power, ) to ease them in their retirement. One last hurrah... I don't think it is going to work out the way they thought. When you take a close look at the puppets hired to do the job. Before it was about building a better car , or more of them, and being proud of your ability to do that. But today it is about holding back all your competition and killing any potential rivals. This has limited results in the long run.

All Empires go through a life cycle. The US peaked in the 50's and it's been downhill from there. One hell of a good run... but the parade is over. We are resting on the laurels of yesteryear.
    Last edited by sigma6; 16th July 2013 at 02:47.
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

carnavas (13th August 2013), danstar (16th July 2013), gripreaper (16th July 2013), risveglio (16th July 2013)

30. Link to Post #57
    Language
    English
    Thanks

hello
    so now I have come and visited and I can say by far I like my own country better!as for the cons I experienced,people in USA are VERY kind but I feel that a lot are just pretending or ignorant,back in my home I felt people were more aware.and I can't understand what's up with this homeless thing here?!we have a lot of beggars but not this much homeless people!oh and we don't have this much advertising in TV for pills and medication!and the fruits and vegetable here doesn't taste right! but it's not that bad as I imagined.it has its good parts too
    thanks again

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carnavas For This Post:

Fred Steeves (11th August 2013), Mark (11th August 2013), pine boy (13th August 2013), RMorgan (11th August 2013), RUSirius (11th August 2013)

32. Link to Post #58
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

Hello, carnavas and welcome back to the thread!

I'm really curious where you visited...

Whenever I go back to the US for a visit, I am always taken by surprise by the friendliness of people especially at check-out counters in stores... here, it almost seems that you are bothering the check-out person... they hardly ever smile or even look you in the eyes. I'm sure that most people really do want to be friendly, but personal experiences cause diffidence, I guess. In the States for the most part, I think that most people "taught" to smile and be nice... until you think you have "reason" to do otherwise. I can understand where it might be percieved as superficial; I think most people anywhere are that way "naturally".

What do you mean when you use the term "aware"? Aware of what exactly?

I, too, was shocked at the homeless people on my last visit... unfortunately, that is a big giveaway to the economic and social situation in the US right now.

Big Pharma has a huge hold on the American people... it's so much easier to pop a pill (and there is too much "trust" in the "cure") rather than getting to the root of any illness.

Food won't taste right until you forget what things tasted like at "home".... it takes a few years... I have the exact oposite situation here, being that I mostly learned to cook in Italy...things don't taste right in the States for me...and finding the "raw" materials to cook with is a big problem for me there.

Please tell us about the good things you are finding... it'll make us Americans feel better....hahahaha... and give us all some positive things to think about where ever we live.

Hugs!

PS: I love your avatar... I'd adopt that kitty immediately!
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

carnavas (13th August 2013), Fred Steeves (11th August 2013), risveglio (11th August 2013), RMorgan (11th August 2013)

34. Link to Post #59
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hello MorningSong! I'm going to give a more detailed observation but I doubt it would end up very professional cause I'm not very experienced but I'll try at least I'm visiting Los angeles near beverley hills right now
    So for what I like about here is...
    well the air is cleaner than Tehran,very cleaner! I don't know about the chemicals or so but the co2 is low anyway!and everything is so clean!the cars the trees not even one dust!the streets and everything is clean. back in my hometown when I came home from outside and washed my hands, gray colored water would slip through my fingers! this is how dirty my city is
    the wild life here is stunning! so many trees and plants and flowers that I have never seen in my life before! it's just so beautiful! so many birds and bugs! this is only proof of a better environment cause back in my hometown(Tehran) we only had crows or doves or sparrows everything else has died or left the city because of pollution
    here has a very wide range of fruits and vegetables that I can't have in Iran, like leeches or raspberry or blueberry or starfruit or asparagus or arugula and etc (I don't know if they are healthy though, I'm talking about shelves in stores cause I didn't find organic stores just yet, but there is a thinking, is eating only organic and only a small variety of foods better than eating everything but not organic?cause in my country a lot of the fruits are local and thats why we don't have every fruit in every season) people are so nice here! I got shocked at it! everyone smiles at you and greets you or comments you on the street(but if you are not homeless and are well dressed though...) in Iran not everyone puts their energy to be nice, it's like not necessary and you get used to not smiling at strangers!this is a very nice thing I learned from here!it's good to smilebut the problem with smiling at everyone in Iran is that, you normally get so many insults and stares in Iran from every man that passes by, what about when you smile back! they would end chasing you, here people are not like that(I understand that everything that I'm saying depends on the place) here I find more freedoms like I don't have to have hijab and scarf even in the hot summer days! I can go to university with a guitar, I can dress however I like and etc,and here people are so animal friendly.in Iran I don't permission to walk my dog.here you can go with your dog in the market!and Internet is not filtered I can at last have access to youtube! oh and so much less traffic!and nice musical radios!!clothes and things are much cheaper here in US(if you live and have a job in US)now in Iran with all the sanctions (including the price of dollar going up) everything is expensive(for example with the old dollar an iphone 5 is 3 thousand dollars now)oh and the 4g internet access everywhere in US
    so things that I don't like...
    number one thing.the food.peaches taste like water compared to the peaches in Iran.watermelons taste awful.I could not even recognize the black mulberry as it was sooooo tasteless! it is supposed to be so sour
    so many fast food!back in Iran we have home made traditional foods that we have everyday but here there is no trace of cultural things and foods except mexican food that its literally fast food!nothing cultural like the famous poets that we have or something that you can connect to from the past
    so much advertising about pills and illnesses here!I didn't even know about hot flashes in Iran)back in home you(or at least I) would not even care and think that you're going to get all this diseases but here on every bench is a "test for STD"!I don't know maybe in Iran this sort of things are covered up or shameful to say or whatever...
    in US I feel more pressure to look good and beautiful for women.in Iran you can more freely look ugly!!!why?because you can look ugly(by ugly I mean no make up no hair done no nice fancy dresses and etc) and blame the government for looking ugly and you can even get some sympathy on the subject!)I mean you always have the blaming card for the ones who expect the unexpected thing from you!in Iran if you put money in the bank and do nothing with it and it sleeps in your account you will have 20 percent interest on it every month,here it seems that you will even loose 10 dollars every month?in Iran you can buy and "own" houses and cars(I mean the tax system is not so strict like here there is no tax for everything you buy! but you have taxes for luxury items including cars etc)
    in Iran travelling is very cheap. everywhere is a taxi and bus.the buses are like 30 cent(with the new dollar if you want to come now, it would be 10 cent) and taxis like 2 or 3 dollars(with the new dollar it is like 1 dollar) foods are cheaper than US and all bottled water must must contain a very detailed label of its information.something that I was shocked to not find here.every bottle water has on its label the amount of its fluoride chloride ph nitrate and others that I don't remember
    and people are more with belief.I don't like being religious or being in control of an outsider like a god or a religious system but I really like it when people have faith and belief. they are more positive and with a lot more hope.people in my country believe in something bigger and better more than here. here is more materialistic and dunno maybe a little more nihilistic!!
    and by more aware I mean, more people know that their government is not perfect and can not always be trusted but here less are like this.
    oh well! we have this poet "sohrab sepehri" that says :
    where ever I am I shall be
    the sky is mine
    the window,the thought,the air,love and earth is mine
    of what importance is it?
    when sometimes the mushrooms of homesickness and loneliness grow?
    what is beautiful?
    beautiful is the love wrapped description of objects and love alone
    love will acclimate you to the warmth of an apple

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carnavas For This Post:

pine boy (13th August 2013), RMorgan (13th August 2013), Strat (13th August 2013)

36. Link to Post #60
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,405 times in 1,922 posts

İ really want to know your opinion
    I'm currently living peacefully in Iran.İt's been 13 years that my family has applied for usa.now they have responded and granted us visa and greed card but the question remains...is usa really a better place with better economical opportunities and freedom or this is all just lies and İran has better quality of life and environment? What do you think if İ reject my visa? Am İ doomed with this visa or saved?:S
    Thank you all
    The right answer would be: Follow your Spirit without hesitation.

On the other hand I would tell you by my personal experience, not by a long shot. I lived in the USA for 22 years, became a citizen, and had the opportunity of living "the American Dream" for a while. Then in the late 90's I began seeing changes to the worse, and after 9/11, I could see the writing on the wall. I left the USA in 2004, and last year some of my friends just told me: you left the USA at the right time. Many of them have been trying to leave, but they can't sell their house, and it's not so easy to find permanent residence in other countries.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camilo For This Post:

carnavas (13th August 2013), RMorgan (13th August 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast