+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Thread: Is USA a better place to live in?

1. Link to Post #61
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Default Re: Is USA a better place to live in?

Quote Posted by carnavas (here)
    in US I feel more pressure to look good and beautiful for women.in Iran you can more freely look ugly!!!why?because you can look ugly(by ugly I mean no make up no hair done no nice fancy dresses and etc) and blame the government for looking ugly and you can even get some sympathy on the subject!)
    Yes this is true. In the US women are unfortunately subjected to this pressure. I am confused what you mean how people in Tehran get sympathy for ugliness? This concept is a bit confusing for my culture. In order to obtain sympathy for something, someone would have to admit the problem. Very few women would admit being ugly, and if she were to do so, people would go to great lengths to tell her she is wrong. This is to help her to feel good about herself.

How would someone in Tehran handle this situation?

Thank you for sharing your observation!
    Last edited by Strat; 13th August 2013 at 16:14.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

carnavas (14th August 2013), RMorgan (14th August 2013)

3. Link to Post #62
    Language
    English
    Thanks

in USA you are free to look how you like and if you don't look "good" you will be blamed for it yourself but in Iran you have to have hijab and wear scarf and long sleeved "menteur" so you're not free to look how you want(despite the fact that still you can look "good" or "bad") so compared to women in us you will look kinda "uglier" and if you don't want to put on make up and brush your hair and have your nails done or etc(like you should) you can blame it on government that they don't let me(cause they can arrest you if you have too much make up or have nail polish or if you're wearing skinny clothes and etc),so not only you won't be blamed but the common outsider will feel bad for you for all this, when in truth you get used to it so much that you don't consider it anymore and you can even sometimes used it as an advantage(like when it rains or you're cold or you're having a bad hair day and you can just cover it and when you don't want to put chemical nail polish on your nails and etc)
    did I explain my view better?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carnavas For This Post:

4evrneo (14th August 2013), RMorgan (14th August 2013), Strat (14th August 2013)

5. Link to Post #63
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Yes, I understand now. Thank you for your explanation.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Strat For This Post:

carnavas (15th August 2013)

7. Link to Post #64
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

My advice is that if it is education and personal freedom, that you are looking for, the United States will give you that compared to where you are. But, there are better choices. Canada has a thriving Iranian population from the overthrow of the Shah. Europe might also be a better option. The United States is more violent than these countries. These countries also have better social policies. The United States is simply not the country that it once was.
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

4evrneo (14th August 2013), carnavas (15th August 2013), Flash (14th August 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4