+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Obesity and food preservatives

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,319 times in 10,234 posts

Default Obesity and food preservatives

I could not find a thread on this subject, but I wasn't trying to hard.

On the other hand, this is important enough that it should be known and stand on it's own. separately. This, so people remember HOW important it is.

Pardon my ignorance of the terms and depths of the subject as i go through the logic, but the one point about preservatives and what they really are, this is critical.

Obesity.

Preservatives.

What is a preservative?

A preservative is a name, nothing more.

It is a way of naming a chemical that kills fungus and mold.

there is only one problem with that. anything that kills fungus and mold, kills anything that is alive. Any living cellular structure that attempts to replicate itself, will be killed by the preservative.

"Preservative" is a polite industry euphemism for 'biocides' and 'fungicides'.

Now, how does your digestive system work?

it works via a giant mess of ...differing living organisms, a living biological stew. This, combined with the more native enzymes and acids, etc..in your stomach, this is what allows you to absorb food, to gain energies from the food. it also allows for proper breakdown.

This means that you CANNOT eat even one single bit of any food that has had any form of 'preservative' applied to it.

If you do, you kill your mix of stomach bugs, and you can no longer process the foods or organic materials you have consumed. And when not properly consumed, your body will turn the residuals into fat, or fight to eliminate the residuals, or turn these improperly broken down materials into some simile of fat. Something that isn't supposed to be stored in the body, will be stored in the body, as it was not properly broken down.

My point is that a notably large part of the obesity issue is tied directly to any form of GMO or preservatives in or on food.

this means not ONE single bit of preserved foods must enter your diet.

the moment you do that, you destroy your digestive enzyme mix,and doom your self to low energy, and obesity, and improper mind and body function.

Clean organic foods ONLY. PERIOD.

Not one single trip to MacDonalds, not one cappuccino smoothie, not one cheap meal, not one hotdog, Not one salami sandwich, not one bit of major brand label slice of bread, Not one can of food, or bag of chips....and so on. Besides the insulin issues, the diet drinks, all of that. All of it has to go. Not even once. For the one single bag of chips, or hotdog, or whatever..it has the preservatives that will kill your digestive enzyme/bug mix that is in your stomach. You'll need to take probiotics to rebuild it, and never step into the area of danger, even once. Otherwise, you have to start all over again.

All that "food", 90% of what is in a supermarket (cereals, peanut butter, any canned food, anything frozen and prepared) has preservatives in or on it. Ninety percent!

Danger. You have to look very closely. Lets say your buy trail mix, to live healthy. Well, if it is not entirely organic, and you have not looked close enough, it has..preservatives in it and on it. To increase it's shelf life.

Any of that, any preservative..which is added to almost everything... has the minimum quadruple effect of making you obese, killing your body, and making you unable to function, and thus...unable think properly, unable to think at any form of a peak intellect.

Your stomach, and how it operates... is your gateway to life.
    Last edited by Carmody; 17th July 2013 at 14:45.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

2. The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

AnnOther (17th July 2013), Blacklight43 (17th July 2013), Calz (18th July 2013), CdnSirian (18th July 2013), Conchis (18th July 2013), DNA (18th July 2013), Dorjezigzag (17th July 2013), fifi (17th July 2013), Flash (17th July 2013), fourty-two (17th July 2013), Gardener (17th July 2013), genevieve (17th July 2013), heretogrow (17th July 2013), hohoemi (23rd July 2013), Holly Lindin (18th July 2013), Joseph McAree (17th July 2013), JRS (18th July 2013), Kiforall (17th July 2013), Marianne (17th July 2013), meeradas (17th July 2013), MorningSong (18th July 2013), Pam (18th July 2013), ParakeetMGP (25th July 2013), Playdo of Ataraxas (17th July 2013), PurpleLama (17th July 2013), Ria (17th July 2013), seko (17th July 2013), skippy (18th July 2013), skyflower (17th July 2013), Sophocles (17th July 2013), TargeT (17th July 2013), Team Zen (17th July 2013), ulli (17th July 2013), william r sanford72 (17th July 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member heretogrow's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,981 times in 498 posts

Default Re: Obesity and food preservatives

Thanks so much for this thread. It is very difficult nowadays to only consume whole organic food. The task can be daunting to feed a family without having their diet tainted by chemicals. However this article is a reminder that our lives depend on it and is more than enough incentive to do provide nutrition without the poisons.

I have planted an organic garden, a lasagna garden, and we are just starting to sample the wonderful veggies and fruits as they are finally stating to ripen. This is just the beginning. I have been bitten by the gardening bug! I thank the plants each day for growing and providing us with fodd that brings nutrition and energy. I am nice to them and let them know I am grateful.

I hope I did not derail the tread in some way Carmody. The information was very timely and pertinent to my life right now and is much appreciated.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heretogrow For This Post:

CdnSirian (18th July 2013), Gardener (17th July 2013), Holly Lindin (18th July 2013), sunflower (17th July 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Worse, the gut bacteria and enzymes take a long to to repopulate. A few doses of probiotics and a cup of yogurt (liquid candy) won't do it.

I always look at other people's grocery carts to see what they are taking home for their families. I believe that 90% estimate is spot on. Just the other day a lady, with two young kids, was paying for a buggy that was overflowing...........yet, seemingly not one morsel of real food in the whole cart. Poor kids.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

CdnSirian (18th July 2013), heretogrow (17th July 2013), Holly Lindin (18th July 2013), TargeT (17th July 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member AnnOther's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    Worse, the gut bacteria and enzymes take a long to to repopulate. A few doses of probiotics and a cup of yogurt (liquid candy) won't do it.

uh oh.....
    I just took a week of anti-biotics, and have been eating yogurt and taking pro-biotics trying to get my flora up to snuff.
    Is it going to help me --as long as I stick to a healthy diet? (no highly processed foods)
    What is your opinion?
    (BTW I love your nickname of yogurt as 'liquid candy')

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnnOther For This Post:

CdnSirian (18th July 2013), heretogrow (17th July 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

oh -- I just read the posts backwards ..... I see that Carmody was talking about how to only eat clean organic foods....

I do still cheat once in awhile..... an occasional restaurant with friends -- and who knows what kind of awful stuff they use
    (especially on the greens - I know they put chemicals on salad greens to keep them looking fresh)

well - this could explain why I constantly struggle to balance my flora......

so difficult to be out socially, and not eat ..... but that might be the answer: arrive full of good clean organic food....

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnnOther For This Post:

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks

At least you are trying and that goes far. Fermented foods are the quickest way to replenish a good population of bacteria. Yogurt is made from pasteurized dairy. Not a good start. If you are going to eat yogurt find the unsweetened, whole fat, Greek style. I eat it occasionally and add in blueberries, stevia, and walnuts. Great snack.....on occasion.

A massive dose of probiotics may contain 50 billion units of about 5 strains of bacteria, but one serving of fermented foods contains ONE TRILLION units and many, many more strains. There are, by some estimates, 200 different strains of bacteria on and in our bodies. They're not just in our gut, they are everywhere. They make up many pounds of our total weight.

Perhaps take extra doses of the probiotics and make sure it's a quality brand, with the bugs encapsulated to prevent them from being killed in the stomach by acid. Some brands advertise "pearls" which have the bugs wrapped in a protective coating that survives until they find themselves in the small intestines.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

CdnSirian (18th July 2013), fifi (19th July 2013), heretogrow (17th July 2013), Holly Lindin (18th July 2013)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    Perhaps take extra doses of the probiotics and make sure it's a quality brand, with the bugs encapsulated to prevent them from being killed in the stomach by acid. Some brands advertise "pearls" which have the bugs wrapped in a protective coating that survives until they find themselves in the small intestines.
    ...I always wondered if the probiotic pills protected those lil critters until they reached my gut.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    And -- what exactly are fermented foods?
    I think I can think of 3: sauerkraut, kim chi, and tempee, yes?
    I love the first two, but haven't been able to find any way to like tempee (it takes like gelled vinegar to me, ugh)
    Are there any other fermented foods to look for?
    ....wonderful that they can be a SUPER probiotic -- this may be the answer!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnnOther For This Post:

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,698 times in 8,940 posts

this should go in the "gut thread" as well Carmody. Thanks, entirely true, you made me think that I should take probiotics for now. I do agree with you n this topic, well, on most topics you bring lol, but:

1. how do you convince a teenager to go that path unless she gets totally illuminated...?
    2. how do you do when traveling, when working in different environments, etc.?
    3. even biological food in supermarkets (Loblaws for example) is now done by giant companies that may put GMO and other stuff in, how do you circumvent this?
    4. coffee will be the most difficult to toss aside.... well, this is a total change of life, including the places of work it seems to require

thanks for the post Carmody, you are spot on no doubt about this

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

CdnSirian (18th July 2013), heretogrow (17th July 2013), Playdo of Ataraxas (17th July 2013)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks

AnnOther, yes fermented foods are the answer. We all used to eat them years ago. It was a major method of preservation. Any food can be fermented. Experiment. You'll likely have to make your own at home, as most foods are irradiated, pasteurized, or otherwise processed to destroy the living essence. And man oh man, the essence is everything. It's life force, it's the Sun's energy imparted into the plants, who then share with us if we eat it raw or fermented. This life force, among other things, takes physical form as enzymes and other cofactors. Deeper still the essence are sometimes called biophotons. Cooking and freezing kills the biophotons.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

CdnSirian (18th July 2013), heretogrow (17th July 2013), Holly Lindin (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (17th July 2013)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

OH -- cool
    so a lot of things can be fermented, and I can learn to do that at home?
    I'd never heard of this -- and explains how people lived without refrigeration in the past.
    (I always cringed when I heard the line in that old rhyme: peas porridge in the pot, nine days old.... either they got a lot of food poisoning, or there guts were a LOT stronger than our modern, babied ones)
    I'll have to do some research on fermenting.
    thanks, Conk!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AnnOther For This Post:

CdnSirian (18th July 2013), conk (18th July 2013), heretogrow (17th July 2013), Holly Lindin (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (25th July 2013)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,698 times in 8,940 posts

Quote Posted by AnnOther (here)
    OH -- cool
    so a lot of things can be fermented, and I can learn to do that at home?
    I'd never heard of this -- and explains how people lived without refrigeration in the past.
    (I always cringed when I heard the line in that old rhyme: peas porridge in the pot, nine days old.... either they got a lot of food poisoning, or there guts were a LOT stronger than our modern, babied ones)
    I'll have to do some research on fermenting.
    thanks, Conk!
    You will have all kind of information on fermented foods in this thread Annother: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...thy#post703259

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

AnnOther (17th July 2013), CdnSirian (18th July 2013), conk (18th July 2013), heretogrow (17th July 2013), Holly Lindin (19th July 2013), MorningSong (18th July 2013), william r sanford72 (25th July 2013)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,055 times in 1,024 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    this should go in the "gut thread" as well Carmody. Thanks, entirely true, you made me think that I should take probiotics for now. I do agree with you n this topic, well, on most topics you bring lol, but:

1. how do you convince a teenager to go that path unless she gets totally illuminated...?
    2. how do you do when traveling, when working in different environments, etc.?
    3. even biological food in supermarkets (Loblaws for example) is now done by giant companies that may put GMO and other stuff in, how do you circumvent this?
    4. coffee will be the most difficult to toss aside.... well, this is a total change of life, including the places of work it seems to require

thanks for the post Carmody, you are spot on no doubt about this
    Great questions Flash. I'll adjust number 1. How do I get my parents to understand this in regards to what they feed my children behind my back when I'm not there? They spend a weekend away and all they can talk about is what they ate at McDonald's. My wife learned that this was the first time that they had ever been to a McDonald's and it made her cry. So far, my best tactic is avoidance, but that's not good.....

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Playdo of Ataraxas For This Post:

AnnOther (18th July 2013), Calz (18th July 2013), CdnSirian (18th July 2013), heretogrow (18th July 2013), Holly Lindin (19th July 2013), PurpleLama (17th July 2013), william r sanford72 (25th July 2013)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,799 times in 666 posts

I was listening to Brooks Agnew on BBS the other day and he was saying that the Glyphosates in Monsanto's Roundup were finding their way in to our digestive systems which blocks certain enzymes used in our metabolism. He was saying that it promotes the accumulation of a particularly firm type of fat that manifests mainly around the midriff.
    Sapere aude

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Taurean For This Post:

AnnOther (18th July 2013), CdnSirian (18th July 2013), heretogrow (18th July 2013), Holly Lindin (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (25th July 2013)

27. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,055 times in 1,024 posts

Natural and artificial dyes and flavorings should be avoided at all costs, too. I found this site with lots and lots of studies on dyes and flavorings:

"Note that, while there are many studies on food colorings, there are very few on the 5000+ flavorings in food. This is due to the success of their manufacturers in convincing the U.S. Food & Drug Administration that "a little bit can't hurt" (see Kroes 2000, Kroes 2002 and Kroes 2005 below)." http://www.feingold.org/Research/dye.html

And don't forget castoreum: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post634458

Thanks for posting Carmody. I'm gonna share this info with my parents.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Playdo of Ataraxas For This Post:

Calz (18th July 2013), CdnSirian (18th July 2013), conk (19th July 2013), Holly Lindin (19th July 2013), MorningSong (18th July 2013), PurpleLama (17th July 2013), william r sanford72 (25th July 2013)

29. Link to Post #15
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,268 times in 2,725 posts

everything that is processed should be avoided, if you can. My family been doing it. My estimate is that we live on 90% natural and unprocessed.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

CdnSirian (18th July 2013), conk (19th July 2013), heretogrow (18th July 2013), Holly Lindin (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (25th July 2013)

31. Link to Post #16
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,764 times in 987 posts

Kefir. Easy to google. Kefir from dairy, water too. You can even make kefir beer! Thanks Carmody. This is a crucial issue.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CdnSirian For This Post:

heretogrow (18th July 2013), Holly Lindin (19th July 2013)

33. Link to Post #17
    United States Moderator (on Sabbatical) Deborah (ahamkara)'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 times in 417 posts

Good advice and solid recommendations. Whole, healthy food is critical to maintaining one's physical and mental strength and clarity. It is, however, extraordinarily difficult in work, travel and social settings to eat pure, clean, organic foods. I often travel with nuts, seeds, dried fruit and freeze dried organic soups that can serve as a meal in a pinch. People have called me "weird" "Obsessive compulsive" and accused me of having eating disorders all because I am careful with what I eat. On the positive side, eating well and unprocessed results in lots of energy and makes keeping a normal weight easy! Take the time to plan your meals and your body will thank you! (Brown rice, so far as I know, is NOT a GMO crop, and it is my staple).

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Deborah (ahamkara) For This Post:

AnnOther (18th July 2013), conk (19th July 2013), heretogrow (18th July 2013), Holly Lindin (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (25th July 2013)

35. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member heretogrow's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,981 times in 498 posts

I just love the synchronicity of life! I find this thread today and discover the benefits of fermentation. I think man I need to really up the ante and go from a small garden to learning how to add some fermented food to our diet. I kid you not, my son shows up tonight with four 10 pound heads of cabbage and an antique mandolin for me to try to make kraut! He then proceeds to tell me how to make it! All I can say is awesome! I may say otherwise tomorrow after all of that grating but the way the universe works right now is amazing to me!!!

¤=[Post Update]=¤

I have an iphone but I am still techie challenged. If I can figure out how to post pics of these cabbage I will. They are awesome!!!

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heretogrow For This Post:

AnnOther (18th July 2013), conk (18th July 2013), Holly Lindin (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (25th July 2013)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,638 times in 18,693 posts

An Article on RT, today about crap food..

Published on 17 Jul 2013

If you are shopping at an American grocery store,
    chances are: you're buying products laced with
    chemicals, petroleum, even brominated vegetable
    oil- you know that substance that stops carpets
    from catching on fire—and you don't even know it.
    Other countries that have banned common US
    grocery store items to our shelves.
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 18th July 2013 at 10:46.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Neverhaveanytime (11th August 2013), william r sanford72 (25th July 2013)

39. Link to Post #20
    Germany Avalon Member The Truth Is In There's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,645 times in 726 posts

i agree that preservatives are bad but the theories you built around it re obesity etc. make no sense and some things you write are just plain wrong, like these:

Quote If you do, you kill your mix of stomach bugs, and you can no longer process the foods or organic materials you have consumed. And when not properly consumed, your body will turn the residuals into fat, or fight to eliminate the residuals, or turn these improperly broken down materials into some simile of fat. Something that isn't supposed to be stored in the body, will be stored in the body, as it was not properly broken down.

My point is that a notably large part of the obesity issue is tied directly to any form of GMO or preservatives in or on food.

this means not ONE single bit of preserved foods must enter your diet.

the moment you do that, you destroy your digestive enzyme mix,and doom your self to low energy, and obesity, and improper mind and body function.
    i know fat people who eat "healthy" and i know healthy people who eat "crap". if they were true your theories would be a gift from heaven for all fat people who want to get slim but they aren't. eating organic, non-preserved food is certainly a good thing but it doesn't necessarily make people healthy, nor does preservative-laden food make people sick.
    Among the blind the one-eyed is a madman.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Truth Is In There For This Post:

Neverhaveanytime (11th August 2013), william r sanford72 (25th July 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast