United States Avalon Member gripreaper's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,685 times in 3,744 posts

Default Re: Texting=my pet peeve

"Lay Down Your Truth and Check Your Weapons
    The Next Voice You Hear Will Be Your OWN"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhS69C1tr0w

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gripreaper For This Post:

BrianEn (19th July 2013), DeDukshyn (19th July 2013), Fred Steeves (19th July 2013), ghostrider (19th July 2013), Kano (19th July 2013), Maunagarjana (19th July 2013)

3. Link to Post #22
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

What's this thread about again? Sorry ... I was too busy texting ... actually, never mind even ... I'm too busy texting ...

In reality I don't even have a mobile I'm willing to rudely yell at and put down or punch any idiot who needs it for excessive texting though ... for hire

I skipped through this thread .. sorry if this was posted already ... "Jesus is trending!!"

Last edited by DeDukshyn; 19th July 2013 at 00:39.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

BrianEn (19th July 2013), gripreaper (19th July 2013), Maunagarjana (19th July 2013), TargeT (19th July 2013)

5. Link to Post #23
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

You know what my pet peeve is? Passwords. Just cant remember them. Found a good system but even that is not 100% because some sites don't allow special characters...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

BrianEn (19th July 2013), DeDukshyn (19th July 2013), TargeT (19th July 2013)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Vangelo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,609 times in 571 posts

Daft and Kano - I'v emade the same decisions as you i.e. I will not be a slave to the phone and emails and texts and everything else that interrupts my attention when I am giving it to someone else (i.e. they are standing in front of me or eating a meal with me, etc.). Also, there is now an expectation at work that you are available 24/7 - this is not healthy. But the thing that drives me balistic is people who text when they drive. I never, ever thought that anything could be worse than putting on makeup while driving but texting beats that hands down. Their decision to text puts me and others at real risk.

Regards,
    Vangelo
    Happiness comes from within, nowhere else.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vangelo For This Post:

Kano (19th July 2013)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,855 times in 21,553 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    You know what my pet peeve is? Passwords. Just cant remember them. Found a good system but even that is not 100% because some sites don't allow special characters...
    I recommend https://lastpass.com/ or http://passwordmaker.org/. One can make site-specific passwords, for sites that demand (or prohibit) special characters or have other weird password constraints.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

TargeT (19th July 2013)

11. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

a phone was there to make a call to set up a meeting face to face, now we don't meet, we don't even talk , we text or e-mail ... pretty soon we will just send a color, green on my way, blue staying home, red at the hospital, black and white I'm driving to meet you , yellow I'm almost there , Gold I'm at the bank , purple I'm drunk enter at your own risk ...lol look at what the cell phone killed, cameras, video cameras, ipods, walkmans, tom toms, pagers, huh ... the same little gadget captain Kirk used to talk to the bridge, flip -chirpty chirpty Kirk to enterprise, beam me up, it was science fiction , now science reality , my friends laughed when I said one day we will flip a device and talk just like Kirk ...who's laughing now ??? and wal-mart has the swoosh bridge doors that open by themselves, huh technology ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

BrianEn (19th July 2013)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,331 times in 1,296 posts

When telephones were first invented, everybody said it would kill the art of letter-writing. They were probably right, too.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seikou-Kishi For This Post:

BrianEn (19th July 2013), mosquito (19th July 2013), TargeT (19th July 2013)

15. Link to Post #28
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

Quote Posted by Carolin (here)
    I HATE the phone, guess I'm scarred from my husband's ex playing head games with hang-ups and numberous calls a day. Those calls have since stopped but my hatred for the phone remains. Thanks to call display I rarely pick up the phone at home and I refuse to answer any 800/888 numbers or long distance that I don't recognize. My favourite ways to communicate are bbm, text, facebook and lastly email. They haven't replaced my interaction in person but allow me to stay in contact with friends and family even more. Trying to get my 78 year old Mom on facebook so she knows what's going on with everyone.

My pet peeve is people talking on their cell phones super loud out in public.......so text away people........text away.
    Ultra pet peeve, talking on the phone at the quickstop while the cashier is counting back dollars to your hand, talk about rude, we dont want to hear your drama, and Megan could short change you and you don't even pay attention, what wrong with let me call you back I need to get some gas ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

BrianEn (19th July 2013)

17. Link to Post #29
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    I work in information security..

We have quasi recently (last few years) moved away from using the term "password" as a word is easy to crack, special characters or no. We now use the term "Pass-phrase" make a short sentence that is meaningful to you for example:

I own a truck I like a lot & drive when ever i can etc...

My passphrase was MyR@ptorisawe5om3! (My Raptor is awesome!) I work with (on average) 15-20 passwords and this seems to work pretty well, for the work stuff I make a short phrase about what the password is for; I've run L0phtCrack against my pass phrases (and a few other specialized tools) and they come up as very difficult to crack (nothing but a supercomputer could do it in a reasonable time frame).

Since I work Infosec I add in the Two capitals, two special characters and two numbers (per regulation) you could just toss in a capital and maybe 1 special character and you'll obtain extremely hard to break passphrases that are easy to remember.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

BrianEn (19th July 2013), Maunagarjana (19th July 2013)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,739 times in 1,371 posts

Quote Posted by Carolin (here)
    My pet peeve is people talking on their cell phones super loud out in public.......so text away people........text away.
    Make sure you avoid China then !!! Chinese people are largely unable to talk to one another without shouting, add a bloody cell phone into the mix and it's annoying, to put it mildly.

I avoided mobiles for year, it was always obvioue to me that the game was to get everyone available 100% of the time, and could never understand why everyone fell for it ( you mean, you WANT your boss to phone you when you are relaxing on the beach ???). I only succumbed after taking on a mobile lifestyle - no home, as few possesions as possible, no land line. Initially, I hated txts, as they were so cumbersome, but I gradually came around to them. People can reply when they like, and it is easy to notify people of something without having to get involved in long converstaions. I don't like talking on a mobile, it maks me feel ill.

I flatly refuse to use that idiotic txt language though. I write in proper English, capitals and punctuation included ! It's easy on the phone I have now though (Samsung Wave), as is txting in Chinese. What has always annoyed me is seeing people walking along the street txting or staring at their phones, oblivious to what's going on around them. And in China, believe it or not, people txt while DRIVING, or even worse - WHILE RIDING A MOTORBIKE, I'm not joking.

20. Link to Post #31
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 times in 630 posts

I am so far out from town I have no cell service but I do answer and make texts when I go into town. I hate answering the phone after doing so on the job for 30 years. I am much better in person.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MargueriteBee For This Post:

BrianEn (19th July 2013)

22. Link to Post #32
    Australia Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 times in 552 posts

I like texting when i dont feel like dealing with the gals in the office..

23. The Following User Says Thank You to lookbeyond For This Post:

BrianEn (19th July 2013)

24. Link to Post #33
    United States Avalon Member Maunagarjana's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 times in 681 posts

I'm with you. I hate texting. Not necessarily other people doing it, just people expecting me to do it on a phone. If it's a short exchange of information, like a quick question, an address, a location at which to meet up at, or a check on when I'm arriving, that's okay. But I don't want to have text conversations on a phone. That's why I have a phone. So I can make phone calls. I think the rule of "call them after five texts" is a good one for certain situations. I do prefer to have conversations in live voice exchanges. But I don't even like having conversations on cell phones either. It gives me a headache, unless I have my headphone plugged in. Seriously, I must be sensitive to those cell phone signals. I have to say I miss landlines, which I hardly ever use any more. I actually bought my very first cell phone a few years ago. I'm sure I had to be one of the last hold-outs in my generation.

25. Link to Post #34
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    My passphrase was MyR@ptorisawe5om3! (My Raptor is awesome!) I work with (on average) 15-20 passwords and this seems to work pretty well, for the work stuff I make a short phrase about what the password is for; I've run L0phtCrack against my pass phrases (and a few other specialized tools) and they come up as very difficult to crack (nothing but a supercomputer could do it in a reasonable time frame).
    For more technical details on how to make secure passwords, see an article I just posted: Computer password security: How the pros hack passwords.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

BrianEn (19th July 2013)

27. Link to Post #35
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,618 times in 504 posts

Great responses from everyone. We're all quite different in our preferences. I got to open my mind a lot on the matter. It really does seem that the younger you are the more likely to accept texting as a form of communication. My main beef with it is the time I spent typing up texts when I could convey my thoughts quicker than keying in responses. Typing in at a full keyboard is challenge enough for me. Some days I can't type to save my own life. Now I use a laptop and the keyboard is different that screwed me up too even I've been using it for eighteen months. Plus the nerve damage in my left arm didn't help.
    There will come a day when we know our true history.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianEn For This Post:

TargeT (22nd July 2013)

29. Link to Post #36
    United States Avalon Member AnnOther's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by BrianEn (here)
    We all have our personal tastes. The tech is allowing us to access all different forms of communicating. We can choose what like. Like I said this thread isn't meant to get down on anyone. Plus it's reminding me to be a little more broad minded about things. The old ways aren't always the better ways.
    I work the night shift, and texting has allowed people who live in the sun to be able to communicate with me without waking me up.
    Once in a blue moon, a text arrives when I'm awake, or vise versa, and then we know we can call and communicate by voice.

the texting 'beep' is nowhere near as invasive as a telephone ring -- so I am able to sleep thru it, or answer if I'm awake.

It is a godsend.

p.s. I'll be 54 in August -- nice to know that I'm considered a young'un for relying on texting.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to AnnOther For This Post:

BrianEn (19th July 2013)

31. Link to Post #37
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,618 times in 504 posts

It just struck me that I send messages on facebook. Just quick blurbs that are easy to read no reply nessesary. Just quick fyi's that would make annoying phonecalls.

Like I text a friend for them to know I walked that day as per doc's orders. Short enough for a text.
    There will come a day when we know our true history.

32. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Member gripreaper's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,685 times in 3,744 posts

You know they say the PC is now obsolete, but I prefer my PC in the comfort of my office with all my basic needs around me, far away from the toxic effects of wireless technology (see photo)

I love my PC, as you can see from the picture of my office. It amazes me how people don't recognize the toxic effects of wireless! I just stay away from wireless toxicity so I should live a long life!
    Last edited by gripreaper; 22nd July 2013 at 05:16.
    "Lay Down Your Truth and Check Your Weapons
    The Next Voice You Hear Will Be Your OWN"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhS69C1tr0w

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gripreaper For This Post:

genevieve (22nd July 2013), Maunagarjana (28th July 2013), meeradas (22nd July 2013), TargeT (22nd July 2013)

34. Link to Post #39
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    I recommend https://lastpass.com/ or http://passwordmaker.org/. One can make site-specific passwords, for sites that demand (or prohibit) special characters or have other weird password constraints.
    That was a year ago - for my latest password manager recommendations, see this post.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Frank V (19th August 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2