+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does the Beer You Drink Contain GMOs, High Fructose Corn Syrup, and all other Weaponized Ingredients?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,055 times in 1,024 posts

Default Does the Beer You Drink Contain GMOs, High Fructose Corn Syrup, and all other Weaponized Ingredients?

I came across an article today that made me think twice about the consumption of cheap beer. I am not by any means what one would term "rich". Much the opposite. I've been drinking Pabst, my favorite cheap beer. Turns out, there's GMO corn and GMO corn syrup in my beer. WTF? Like birth control, as they fallaciously say, abstinence is best, but I ain't an abstinence kind of guy. I like my beer, and now I have to change my habits after reading this. Looks like its time to stick to the Reinheitsgebot. God bless the Germans for demanding that beer has been made pure for over 500 years. I'm going to begin investigating American breweries to see what their beers contain, and I'll update as I make progress. Any assistance with this endeavor is most appreciated.

Here's the article I read: http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-s...ients-in-beer/

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Playdo of Ataraxas For This Post:

1inMany (20th July 2013), AwakeInADream (19th July 2013), Calz (19th July 2013), Camilo (19th July 2013), ceetee9 (22nd July 2013), DeDukshyn (19th July 2013), fifi (19th July 2013), Flash (19th July 2013), Fred Steeves (19th July 2013), Kerrigan (19th July 2013), Kimberley (19th July 2013), Kraut (19th July 2013), meeradas (19th July 2013), MorningSong (19th July 2013), northstar (19th July 2013), Octavusprime (19th July 2013), pine boy (19th July 2013), Prodigal Son (19th July 2013), PurpleLama (19th July 2013), seko (19th July 2013), Warlock (20th July 2013), WhiteFeather (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (19th July 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,488 times in 2,183 posts

Default Re: Does the Beer You Drink Contain GMOs, High Fructose Corn Syrup, and all other Weaponized Ingredients?

Wow! OK. I can help....

The GMO Compass is supported by the EU RE: Beer; it talks mostly about German Beer (2006):

Quote Description of product

Beer that is brewed in Germany is subject to the "Biersteuergesetz", i.e., the "beer tax law". This modern version of the traditional "purity law" of 1516 limits the allowed ingredients of beer to water, yeast, hops and barley malt.

Beer that is brewed outside of Germany is not subject to this regulation and also may be sold in Germany without restriction. However, ingredients which are restricted in Germany, such as barley malt substitutes and chemical additives, must be indicated on the label. To date, enzymes used in the production process are not required to be declared.
    In the case of beers using Saccharomyces cerevisiae, known as "brewers’ yeast", other malts (e.g. from rye or wheat), sugar and colouring derived from sugar may be used.
    See also: spirits, wine

Possible application of gene technology

In the case of beers that are brewed according to the German purity laws, the direct use of gene technology currently is excluded. In the case of foreign beers, a variety of applications of gene technology is possible.

For example, the application of isolated enzymes is allowed in imported beer. The production of imported beer often is conducted with the aid of genetically modified organisms. In Germany, this is incompatible with the purity law and therefore is not allowed in the production of beer.

The enzymes are used to improve the disintegration of starches and other plant-based starch compound, as well as to accelerate the malting process and ripening, to suppress undesired scents and to optimise the production process. Applied enzymes include amylases, proteases, pullulanase, glucanase, acetolactate-decarboxylase, and laccase.

Outside of Germany, raw materials include not only barley and wheat but also maize, rice, glucose syrup and other starch products.

Imported beers from Central and South America often are brewed from maize. Genetically modified maize is grown on a large scale in many countries.

Modifications of yeast conversely are compatible with the purity law – irrespective of their being achieved through "classical" breeding or through the transfer of genes. The breeding of beer yeast has a very long tradition. One procedure used thereby is the provocation of mutations. Thereby, the enzymatic performance of the yeast is optimised.

A variety of genetically modified yeasts have been developed to the point of industrial readiness, particularly in the case of beers which have reduced alcohol or calories. To date, with the exception of smaller experimental breweries in the UK, such yeasts have not been put to use. German breweries have assured that they will not use such yeasts.
    As a rule, beer no longer contains yeast: it is filtered out and the beer is then pasteurised. However, in the case of specific types of "cloudy" beer, such as Weizenbier ("wheat beer") or Malzbier ("malt beer"), yeast remains present in the final product.
    As a nutrient in the cultivation of yeasts, glucose syrup or other yeast products often are used.

The additive citric acid also may be applied in order to prevent the excessive loss of sugar from sprouted barley.

With Malzbier:

colouring agent sugar colouring
    http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/datab.../214.beer.html

More info here:

http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/groce...gineering.html

Here you will find a list of "organic" beer:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...anic-beer.html

And here's a forum discussing this:

http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...23016-Gmo-Beer
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

1inMany (20th July 2013), AwakeInADream (19th July 2013), Calz (19th July 2013), Camilo (19th July 2013), eva08 (20th July 2013), Kraut (19th July 2013), northstar (19th July 2013), Octavusprime (19th July 2013), Playdo of Ataraxas (19th July 2013), Prodigal Son (19th July 2013), PurpleLama (19th July 2013), WhiteFeather (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (19th July 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 times in 466 posts

Default Re: Does the Beer You Drink Contain GMOs, High Fructose Corn Syrup, and all other Weaponized Ingredients?

I'm not a beer drinker but the last few months I have been cutting GMOs out of my diet. This is a huge task mostly due to corn. Corn is present in some form in most processed foods and since GMO corn makes up 90% of the corn consumed in North America you simply have to assume most processed food sold in supermarkets (in addition to beer) includes GMOs.

Its a huge task and it involves radically changing my eating and cooking patterns (non GMO foods purchased and then cooked from scratch at home) but I'm doing it because I refuse to allow any more of the carcinogenic GMO poison into my body.
    Last edited by northstar; 19th July 2013 at 16:02.
    The 'rebellion' of the Mind, having the Mind run the show, is the Luciferian rebellion of wanting to leave Love-Christ-Heart behind and create a universe without the 'pesky feeling of the heart' holding it back
    ~ Tobias Lars

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to northstar For This Post:

Calz (19th July 2013), Camilo (19th July 2013), Kraut (19th July 2013), mahalall (19th July 2013), MorningSong (19th July 2013), onawah (19th July 2013), Playdo of Ataraxas (19th July 2013), Prodigal Son (19th July 2013), WhiteFeather (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (19th July 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,586 times in 2,838 posts

thers a lotta small local brewers in iowa.even one in albia..a town of around 5000.i know the owner and family and watch and taste now and again.also use to dabble with making mead.i dont think i bought a domestic made 6 pack in 13 years...unless it is some local brewer.but its not cheap.nice informative.. BURP!!..thread.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Calz (19th July 2013), Kraut (19th July 2013), MorningSong (19th July 2013), northstar (19th July 2013), Playdo of Ataraxas (19th July 2013), WhiteFeather (19th July 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,618 times in 504 posts

My guess is that if you drink enough beer you won't care what's in it.
    There will come a day when we know our true history.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BrianEn For This Post:

1inMany (20th July 2013), Calz (19th July 2013), Camilo (19th July 2013), Earth Angel (19th July 2013), Kraut (19th July 2013), MorningSong (19th July 2013), northstar (19th July 2013), onawah (19th July 2013), WhiteFeather (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (19th July 2013)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,971 times in 5,651 posts

I don't always drink beer, but when i do, i prefer Guinness Extra Stout. The Irish make one heck of a beer, and since 1759. I Don't think Monsatan has their claws in this company.

"Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

AwakeInADream (19th July 2013), Calz (19th July 2013), DeDukshyn (19th July 2013), Earth Angel (19th July 2013), Kraut (19th July 2013), mahalall (19th July 2013), MorningSong (19th July 2013), northstar (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (19th July 2013)

13. Link to Post #7
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

Read the article in the op, Vince, not even the almighty stout is immune....

¤=[Post Update]=¤

I would guess that this issue extends to all forms of alcohol. I have noticed organic labeled wines popping up, which says something about those unlabeled as such, I'd imagine....

¤=[Post Update]=¤

I am debating whether or not to finish off the PBR I have stashed in the fridge, or to dump it and begin the search for a good german replacement. I can take a malty beer, but the hoppy stuff makes me twitch.

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

looks tasty whitefeather..but stout is almost a heavy meal for my 100 pound butt. sleepy time.with o little irish shine in me eyes.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Calz (19th July 2013), Kraut (19th July 2013), northstar (19th July 2013), WhiteFeather (19th July 2013)

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

When you start getting serious cross pollination (and we have) then the lines get a little blurry.

When we need to rely on labels and the "authorities" to tell us the ingredients ... more blurry.

When corporations rule the world ... keep that *always* at the back of your mind then things become a little clearer.

... at least for now.

Questions?

(clue - it's the system that must go ... or else we have no one to blame but ourselves ...)

Cheers

*** adding to incorporate a broader view ***

Defense is a losing game. These people have control of nearly everything due to the plague called money.

Time and time again people will organize to "fight the good fight" and once in awhile actually "win" only to see the sleepless, and exhaustless determination of the darker forces reorganize, fight and "win".

Really simple message here folks (hey I am a simple guy) ... don't waste all of our energy on fighting the battles ... fight on winning the war.

System must go for us to have any hope.

(humble beer drinker's opinion ya know)
    Last edited by Calz; 19th July 2013 at 15:50.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

1inMany (20th July 2013), BrianEn (20th July 2013), Fred Steeves (19th July 2013), northstar (19th July 2013), PurpleLama (19th July 2013), WhiteFeather (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (19th July 2013)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 times in 466 posts

Quote Posted by Calz (here)

Defense is a losing game. These people have control of nearly everything due to the plague called money.

Time and time again people will organize to "fight the good fight" and once in awhile actually "win" only to see the sleepless, and exhaustless determination of the darker forces reorganize, fight and "win".
    I agree that the fight is fierce and exhausting for the little guys (us!) BUT there are a LOT MORE OF US THAN THEM, my friend. We outnumber them. Yes, it is true that they use mind control techniques, propaganda delivered though all major media, and even nastier methods including poisoning of air, water and food to keep us dumbed down and docile. But I know with ever fiber of my being that we, the little guys, the 99% are beginning to awaken to the horrific crap hole the controllers have created for us.

And when the awakened little guys begin to stand up together and ROAR (protest, complain, stop consuming manufactured poisonous GMOs) the controllers MUST listen and respond. They control us because we have allowed it! When we stop allowing it, the evil controllers must stop because they are vastly outnumbered.

Respectfully,

a proud, unapologetic spiritual warrior.
    The 'rebellion' of the Mind, having the Mind run the show, is the Luciferian rebellion of wanting to leave Love-Christ-Heart behind and create a universe without the 'pesky feeling of the heart' holding it back
    ~ Tobias Lars

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to northstar For This Post:

Calz (19th July 2013), WhiteFeather (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (19th July 2013)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,159 times in 1,454 posts

actually Guinness has less calories than many lighter looking beers.....its a myth that its a 'heavy beer loaded with calories'
    for example
    Coors 149 calories
    Budweiser 145
    Guinness draught 126

Quote Posted by william r sanford72 (here)
    looks tasty whitefeather..but stout is almost a heavy meal for my 100 pound butt. sleepy time.with o little irish shine in me eyes.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Earth Angel For This Post:

Calz (19th July 2013), Octavusprime (19th July 2013), seko (19th July 2013), WhiteFeather (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (19th July 2013)

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

this is why i love avalon.Beer..to GMOs.. leading into disscussions that matter..stout still leaves me feeling full Earth Angel.North Star..keep kickn spiritual but!!.and everyone should try to buy local not factory processed..taste better anyways and cheap beer sucks.and doesnt this go back to our right to know what is exactly in the products they make for consumption.seems cut and dry yet we are still fighting such base logic.right is right.with no GRAY spaces in between.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Calz (19th July 2013), MorningSong (19th July 2013), WhiteFeather (19th July 2013)

24. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

... sorry ... no doubt Playdo will come back to whack us into topic here ...

... hey ... I am genetically modified ... I have a great excuse right???

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

1inMany (20th July 2013), Mike (30th July 2013), PurpleLama (19th July 2013), risveglio (19th July 2013), WhiteFeather (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (21st July 2013)

26. Link to Post #14
    Tip of the neuron's tendril watching the sparks fly...
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,215 times in 421 posts

It's simple. Stop drinking crappy yellow mass produced beer! Support your local breweries who stick with the 4 original ingredients. Water, Yeast, Barley and Hops. Take corn out of the equation. Your taste buds will thank you for it.

I enjoy all beers including pilsner so I'm not knocking the style but there are much tastier choices out there than Coors, Bud and Miller. My favorite is Trumer Pils out of Berkely California. Most amazing tasting light beer I've ever had (I've had alot). http://www.trumer-international.com/

Cheers!

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Octavusprime For This Post:

Calz (19th July 2013), DeDukshyn (19th July 2013), Fred Steeves (19th July 2013), northstar (19th July 2013), WhiteFeather (19th July 2013), william r sanford72 (21st July 2013)

28. Link to Post #15
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

Below is a link to a site where the guy apparently tests beer for fluoride content. My Bud tests .4 ppm, but it's better than Bud Light at .6 ppm.
    http://ffbeers.com/

The EPA standard (whatever...) for Flouride "safety" in drinking water is 4.0 ppm.

BTW Reilly, don't waste that PBR brother. Alcohol abuse is a terrible thing.

29. Link to Post #16
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

Never fear, Fred, I was being poetic. With all the PBR I have consumed over the last few years, since switching from the Champagne of Beers, I don't think a few more will hurt.

30. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,971 times in 5,651 posts

My choice was Grolsch just minutes ago. It now comes in a six pack form. No fancy ceramic cap on the bottle like before. But the beer is still the same. I Just opened my first cold one. Its Making me forget about the 100 degree day we had today in NYC. Stay thirsty my friends.

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 19th July 2013 at 22:43.
    "Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

DeDukshyn (19th July 2013), Fred Steeves (20th July 2013), william r sanford72 (21st July 2013)

32. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Small local breweries are best. I try to choose most of my beers from these, thankfully I really enjoy a wide variety of beer.

Anything from any of the top 10 breweries in a continent are likely the worst offenders for crap, because they already have their customer base established and profits are king at almost any cost, so cheaper ingredients will get used. Small breweries are looking to grow and provide an alternative to the big breweries, so they tend to at least try to keep their quality high as they can.

I think I will learn myself the art of beer and wine making though, so I can have better control over what goes into my beer. I have a cousin who is growing his own hops even for his home brew.

That said, I just cracked an Innis and Gunn -- very tasty, but likely made with traditional crap ingredients ... The Scots sure can make a good ale ...
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 19th July 2013 at 23:08. Reason: changed "irish" to "Scots" -- ooops!
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Fred Steeves (20th July 2013), WhiteFeather (21st July 2013), william r sanford72 (21st July 2013)

34. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member Warlock's Avatar
    Thanks

God, I sure hope so.

Warlock
    Ignorance is Bliss

+ Reply to Thread