+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eve players stage giant online space battle // At its peak the battle involved 4,070 pilots and their ships

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,638 times in 18,693 posts

Default Eve players stage giant online space battle // At its peak the battle involved 4,070 pilots and their ships

Although I'm not a gamer it looked like fun !!

I expect the Pentagon was watching for
    Cyber recruits..LOL..

29 July 2013 Last updated at 12:05

Eve players stage giant online space battleEve Online screen shot Space battles are a
    fact of life in Eve Online

One of the largest video game space battles ever seen has taken place in the Eve Online
    game.For five hours on 28 July about 4,000 players took part in the epic battle between
    two of the game's biggest alliances.The two sides were fighting for control of resources
    within several of the game's solar systems. Time was slowed down in the virtual
    universe to help servers cope with the huge numbers of players and ships.The battle
    pitted spaceships belonging to CFC against those from the Test Alliance in a region of
    space known as 6VDT. It ended in victory for CFC. Eve Online is a detailed space
    simulation that sees players fly spaceships through thousands of virtual star systems,
    seeking resources they can use to prosper.

The resources can be found on planets and in asteroid fields or acquired through piracy
    or other underhand means. Ships vary in size from small trading vessels to giant capital
    ships. Erlendur Thorsteinsson, one of Eve Online's developers, confirmed in a tweet that
    the battle was the biggest ever seen in the game.

At its peak the battle involved 4,070 pilots and their ships.

Game time was slowed to 10% of normal to lighten the load on servers working out who
    was shooting at whom.The pivotal moment in the battle took place two hours in, when
    CFC sent in a large fleet of capital ships - the most powerful in the game.

Their arrival prompted many members of the Test Alliance to try to flee.

By the end of the conflict thousands of ships are believed to have been destroyed.

Their destruction has a real-world cost as the game's internal currency can be bought
    with real money. So far no-one has worked out the total value of the ships destroyed,
    but a far smaller battle earlier in 2013 laid waste to far fewer spacecraft that in total
    were estimated to be worth more than $15,000 (£10,000).

The giant battle was the culmination of a long campaign by CFC to force the Test Alliance out of 6VDT.

Some have speculated that it may be the only the first of a series of conflicts that seek
    to extinguish TEST.

"These kinds of conflicts are business as usual in Eve but this one was bigger than
    normal," said James Binns from the PCGamesN website.

Mr Binns said several big events had made the last few weeks in Eve absorbing to
    watch. During that time a giant ship was hijacked and then destroyed in a carefully co-
    ordinated ambush and a huge in-game corporation was disbanded and its resources
    stolen by a spy from a rival faction.

"It's a fascinating online world and its constant drama is nothing like any other game,"
    he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23489293

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 30th July 2013 at 23:39.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Joseph McAree (31st July 2013), SKAWF (31st July 2013), TargeT (30th July 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Default Re: Eve players stage giant online space battle // At its peak the battle involved 4,070 pilots and their ships

one of the cooler things about these types of things (and they happen often at smaller scales in games like this) is the level of coordination and motivation (as well as patience) is pretty amazing; the social aspect of the games is always what I liked most; I'll probably find a newer one to play again.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Cidersomerset (30th July 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Australia Avalon Member wolf_rt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 times in 418 posts

Default Re: Eve players stage giant online space battle // At its peak the battle involved 4,070 pilots and their ships

Lag fest.... The last big battle was so laggy that my ship was blown up before it registered being hit. Then had to wait 90 minutes to log off safely (had to wait for the 5 min timer to expire)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolf_rt For This Post:

Cidersomerset (31st July 2013), sigma6 (31st July 2013), TargeT (31st July 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,730 times in 2,903 posts

Quote Posted by wolf_rt (here)
    Lag fest.... The last big battle was so laggy that my ship was blown up before it registered being hit. Then had to wait 90 minutes to log off safely (had to wait for the 5 min timer to expire)
    Talk about Time distortion vortex LOL...

I remember a board game a long time ago called 4000 AD... This looks like the same idea digitized

I still thought the ultimate was playing capture the flag in Quake with grappling hook capability, red vs blue...
    10 points for planting that flag... I had figured out a system based on timing of events combined with a certain map
    to increase my chances of pulling of a flag plant considering 90% of the players were way more adept at maneuvering then I was...

I also found a map in Duke Nukem (even more moons ago) long enough so that I could fire a rocket and then chase it, run past it, get in front of it, and kill myself... LOL)
    Bugs bunny physics in virtual reality (glitch!)
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 times in 395 posts

EVE is serious space ships business
    i like it alot, been in there for more than 5 years.

but they use alot of mnemonics and if not aware of it, can be tricky ... also CCP stands for Crowd Control Productions .. imagine that ...
    Also im always puzzled by their servers which allow this kind of battles and persistent universe. I think no other game uses it in that way. Mostly you have to choose server on others MMOs.
    It is one kind of game where you can gather much experiene and learn about human-relations.
    Be careful when wandering in the woods... The wolf may approach you... And if you are approached by a solitary wolf... It is not a wolf at all!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DarMar For This Post:

TargeT (31st July 2013)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 times in 309 posts

Me first time playing Eve, see a ship fly by with a name that nearly matchs a friend of mine, for Shyts and giggles I attack him in lvl 9 area am instantly killed by the the games guard ships.. recieve a message from the player "what the hell was that for".. laugh and laugh realizing I just got killed for attacking someone who I do not know.

I stopped playing Eve when I realized you do not realy have good ship control, all of the fights where mainly circling and firing, I could not control the ship for the evasive manovers I'd do if realy in this sort of battle and you are right, some serious lag spikes when big battles where going on.... then Star Trek Online came out a few years later, I have much more fun being a Klingon, and it is free to play ( you pay for perks and specialty things I don't care for, so it is still free for me) .
    When living in a country with free thought, you'll find many do not feel the need to think.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DouglasDanger For This Post:

DarMar (2nd August 2013), TargeT (31st July 2013)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,384 times in 633 posts

EVE is exactly the kinda game i love...

i downloaded it too,

but i never played it. it would take up too much of my time! (i played star wars galaxies solid for months, i know the pattern)

looks sweet though.
    when i went there nothing happened!, i was bored out of my mind..................in the Twilight Zone.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SKAWF For This Post:

TargeT (31st July 2013)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by DarMar (here)
    their servers which allow this kind of battles and persistent universe. I think no other game uses it in that way. Mostly you have to choose server on others MMOs.
    It is one kind of game where you can gather much experiene and learn about human-relations.
    this is common among most new MMO games.. so is the "new" free to play (with certain things costing money) scheme.

Eve is a cool concept but the lack of direct control in fights (as mentioned above) always kind of turns me off to it a lot.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

DarMar (2nd August 2013)

+ Reply to Thread