Thread: FRACKING and the Lies

1. Link to Post #1
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,071 times in 752 posts

Default FRACKING and the Lies

FRACKING and the Lies
    Quote http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...utherners.html

You must accept fracking for the good of the country, David Cameron tells southerners
    David Cameron to insist that people living in the south of England must accept fracking, as he sets out his argument for the controversial way of extracting gas in his strongest terms yet.

Prime Minister David Cameron says in today's Daily Telegraph: 'I want all parts of our nation to share in the benefits: north or south, Conservative or Labour. We are all in this together.' Photo: Getty Images

By Christopher Hope, Senior Political Correspondent
    10:00PM BST 11 Aug 2013
    David Cameron is to insist that people living in the south of England must accept fracking, as he sets out his argument for the controversial method of extracting gas in the strongest terms yet.
    The Prime Minister will use an article in The Daily Telegraph to make clear that people in the South as well as the North of England will have to allow fracking, insisting “we are all in this together” in the battle to find sources of cheap energy for Britain.
    Mr Cameron set out the economic benefits including cheaper energy bills for millions, tens of thousands of jobs and windfalls for communities which are sitting on vast reserves of shale gas.
    He also pledged that fracking would not damage Britain’s countryside and would only result in a “very minor change to the landscape”.
    The British Geological Survey said in June that there could be 1,300 trillion cubic feet of gas in northern England alone.

Source: https://youtube.com/watch?v=PFO6tkcfgHc

Anti-Fracking Protest Interviews at Balcombe Sussex UK

Quote http://americablog.com/2013/08/texas...-fracking.html
    Texas towns run out of water due to fracking
    8/12/2013 9:30am by Gaius Publius

Programming note: I’ll be on The Attitude with Arnie Arnesen, WNHN FM today at 12:30 pm ET talking about NSA (Pentagon) spying. Tune in if you can. Internet link here. [Update: Interview complete. MP3 file here. Start playing at the 30-minute mark. It was a great discussion.] Thanks.
    ________

Put simply, there are towns in Texas where you turn on the tap, and nothing comes out for days. Why? Fracking.

You knew this was going to happen, and you knew it was going to happen in the desert-like South and Southwest. And whether the God-fearing folks in rural Texas knew it or not, when they voted for all those Drill-Baby-Drill Republicans (and Democrats who seek power by imitating them), they voted themselves out of water.

The Guardian (my emphasis and some reparagraphing):

A Texan tragedy: ample oil, no water

Fracking boom sucks away precious water from beneath the ground, leaving cattle dead, farms bone-dry and people thirsty

Beverly McGuire saw the warning signs before the town well went dry: sand in the toilet bowl, the sputter of air in the tap, a pump working overtime to no effect. But it still did not prepare her for the night last month when she turned on the tap and discovered the tiny town where she had made her home for 35 years was out of water.

Nice lead. Here’s the meat of the story:

Glynnis Jones /Shutterstock.com
    Across the south-west, residents of small communities like Barnhart [Texas] are confronting the reality that something as basic as running water, as unthinking as turning on a tap, can no longer be taken for granted. Three years of drought, decades of overuse and now the oil industry’s outsize demands on water for fracking are running down reservoirs and underground aquifers. And climate change is making things worse.

In Texas alone, about 30 communities could run out of water by the end of the year, according to the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

Nearly 15 million people are living under some form of water rationing, barred from freely sprinkling their lawns or refilling their swimming pools. In Barnhart’s case, the well appears to have run dry because the water was being extracted for shale gas fracking.

Do read. There are stories of wells going dry after the fracking crews and equipment arrive, and no one cares because they hook up to the town supply. Then that runs dry too.

My ol’ Uncle Straight Talk would call that “being good servants of their overlords — and paying the price.” But I’m not that cruel. Yes, they voted for fracking, but so did Obama; and yes they (likely) voted for Texas-style cruelty to the Unwashed Other. But there are good people there as well, and the whole state is going to suffer.

As the Guardian headline says — A Texas Tragedy: Ample Oil, No Water.

I noted a while back that no one really understands the social chaos that the combo of climate catastrophe and increased dependence on carbon (yes, we’re increasing our dependence) will cause. Lack of water is a first-order consequence; social and political chaos — ultimately, large-scale population migration and political ungovernability — are inevitable third-order and fourth-order consequences. And yes, I do mean inevitable, if we don’t stop carbon now.

This is a small town; wait until it’s someplace like Houston, or Albuquerque. People will not be pleased; the national news will take note; and the Pentagon (sorry, Google and the NSA) will be listening very closely. A bad brew for cooperative (non-billionaire-driven) solutions.

Some water owners are selling to frackers; some are angry water is being sold

You can see the inherent social conflict in this story. Some people think it’s in a community’s interest to protect the entire water supply for the public good:

[R]esidents in town complained, they were forced to live under water rationing. “I’ve got dead trees in my yard because I haven’t been able to water them,” said Glenda Kuykendall. “The state is mandating our water system to conserve water but why?… Getting one oil well fracked takes more water than the entire town can drink or use in a day.”

Yet people in position to make a bundle selling their water to frackers are, well, trying to make a bundle selling their water. The guy speaking below is making up to $36,000 a month selling water on his land to the frackers, because, after all, it’s his water, right?

[Baxter] rejected the idea there should be any curbs on selling water during the drought. “People use their water for food and fibre. I choose to use my water to sell to the oil field,” he said. “Who’s taking advantage? I don’t see any difference.”

What’s more important? Protecting the private profit of the predators (and protecting the opportunity of a few to be one themselves), or guarding a public resource for the public good? This dynamic is now playing out for real in rural Texas.

Put differently, “freedom” has now become a lab course for those happy Reagan-Bush-Perry voters. I wonder what option they’ll conclude is in their best interest. (And I wonder how many of their towns will sink beneath the oil-soaked billionaire-financed waves while they impotently conclude it.)

This isn’t just a fracking story, it’s a climate story and a sprawl story as well

One last thought. This isn’t just a fracking story. The water loss in the great Southwest has many sources, many of them related as much to population growth and urban sprawl as well as to climate-induced drought:

Katharine Hayhoe, a climate scientist at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, argues fracking is not the only reason Texas is going dry – and nor is the drought. The latest shocks to the water system come after decades of overuse by ranchers, cotton farmers, and fast-growing thirsty cities. ”We have large urban centres sucking water out of west Texas to put on their lands. We have a huge agricultural community, and now we havefracking which is also using water,” she said. And then there is climate change.

Notice the list of causes. Many competing interests, many reasons to use water, less water to be used, and … no real ability for coordinated public policy. Again, not good.

Ultimately, this is a political problem, isn’t it? The inability to coordinate public policy for the public good guarantees unjudicated pitched battles among the competing interests — with the big dog being billionaires and their stranglehold on political processes. The water will eventually run out; it just will. What happens to Texas then?

As I said, please do read. There’s more about the climate aspect, as well as tales of other towns, some as large as Las Cruces. A terrific article, and a frightening foretaste of what’s likely to be way too common, way too soon.
    Last edited by Ria; 17th August 2013 at 00:48.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ria For This Post:

Alecs (24th August 2013), Christine (16th August 2013), Corncrake (13th August 2013), Griff (14th August 2013), jagman (13th August 2013), Soul Safari (13th August 2013), Timreh (13th August 2013), william r sanford72 (13th August 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 times in 215 posts

Default Re: FRACKING and the Lies

We are getting the same here in Australia.. Bigtime!!
    Our state of Queensland has had it the most but it is happening all around at a frantic rate
    Gas companies basically stroll onto private property and commence their drilling or fracking, you see it is a natural resource and who owns natural resources?

Makes me sick
    Leave no stone unturned...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timreh For This Post:

Ria (13th August 2013), william r sanford72 (13th August 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 times in 2,841 posts

in the USA they love fracking.my sister inlaw lives on an indian reservation in montana.the land and animals she was hired to study and protect are being destroyed by fracking that started a few years ago.but the money and gas now flow..
    TRUTH and BALANCE

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

jagman (13th August 2013), Ria (13th August 2013), Timreh (17th August 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,706 times in 8,941 posts

I just listen to a Canadian documentary from David Suzuki, The Nature of Things series, on fracking, called "Shattered ground". This excellent documentary worths listening from the beginning to the complete end, truly. Very well made, interesting and full of scientific data.

What has been discovered is that fracking wells pollute the air substantially miles around, with toxic gaz that impair the nervous system, the lungs, the throat, the eyes. Also it pollutes the water table so that water becomes risky even in the shower. Furthermore, there is so much water use in the fracking process that it is often more than what a town will use in its entire existence. This deplete the water tables and pollutes the remaining waters with the toxic rejections. This is water that is gone from the planetary system forever and ever, never to come back. Water that we will need as the planet is becoming warmer. Also, fracking has a substantial impact on the green house effect, since the gaz emission creates adds to it.

All of the above scientifcally proven.

Vermont, France, Belgium has banned it, Québec, New York has put a moratorium on it. Ohio goes full fledge wtih it and people are often obliged to move away from where they have grown up. Farmers have no more water in the prairies etc etc etc.

This was on the Canadian television therefore it is not available in other countries. I hope someone will put it on youtube, it really worths it. I have check youtube, dailymotion and vimeo and it is not in there. For Canadians here it is:

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/epi...ed-ground.html

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Ria (16th August 2013), Tesseract (16th August 2013), Timreh (17th August 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

[COLOR="magenta"]
    http://www.channel4.com/news/vivienn...balcombe-video

Why the rush for fracking? asks Vivienne Westwood - video

Fashion designer Vivienne Westwood tells Channel 4 News that David Cameron is rushing through legislation for fracking without a proper debate. "We don't even know what's under there," she added.
    Last edited by Ria; 17th August 2013 at 00:51.

10. Link to Post #6
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Fracking protesters gather for six-day camp as Balcombe drilling suspended
    Cuadrilla scales back operation on advice of police, with up to 1,000 more campaigners expected in West Sussex

theguardian.com, Friday 16 August 2013 11.12 BST

Anti-fracking protesters have welcomed the suspension of an exploratory oil-drilling operation in West Sussex, as the first of hundreds of extra activists started to arrive.

Up to 1,000 more campaigners are set to descend on the outskirts of Balcombe, for the six-day Reclaim the Power camp. It has been organised in opposition to hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, which some fear the energy firm Cuadrilla will go on to conduct after it has completed its exploratory drilling.

In a sign of the growing hostility to fracking, the campaign group 38 Degrees said on Friday it had raised £50,000 in four days to support the protests. It said £30,000 would go to support local groups, £10,000 on training and £10,000 on web infrastructure.

Campaigners were erecting marquees, tents and kitchen and toilet facilities on the campsite, about a mile from the drilling project. Cuadrilla, which has said it is unlikely to turn the site into a fossil fuel production area, has scaled back its operation on the advice of Sussex police amid fears of unrest.

One activist, Luke Johnson, said: "Cuadrilla's announcement that they'll halt drilling is already a victory for us, but it's only a start. We would like to make sure they don't frack in Balcombe, or anywhere else at all."

James Basin, 31, said: "I think Cuadrilla are keeping their heads down. I wouldn't be surprised if they have just broken one of their drills. We are expecting quite a few more people to arrive from London, and obviously we will be visiting the site to see what a mess Cuadrilla has made of it."

The camp's organisers, No Dash for Gas, said there would be "direct action" in the days ahead. It said the camp programme included skills-sharing in campaign building and direct action, as well as talks, assemblies and workshops.

On Sunday, activists are expected to join locals for a march through Balcombe before the main direct action campaigns begin on Monday. They are due to be joined by a ground called Disability Protestors Against the Cuts.

About 40 people have been arrested since the anti-fracking protests began on the outskirts of Balcombe three weeks ago. Cuadrilla has doubled the height of its security fences and installed razor wire.

Francis Egan, the firm's chief executive, has voiced concern about safety on the site and urged protesters intent on breaking the law: "Please don't do it."

He told ITV News: "I'm quite worried about safety on the site. We have a group who are relocating a camp to the site, who have said publicly that they will be taking direct action. It's a small site. There are a small amount of workers. We are doing something that is legally approved and I am worried about the safety implications for our workers, for peaceful protesters."

The Reclaim the Power camp was due to return to West Burton power station in Nottinghamshire, where 21 people were arrested last year. But organisers switched this year's camp to Balcombe, with No Dash for Gas saying it would attract a coalition of climate, anti-austerity and fuel poverty activists.

Asked on BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Friday whether the company had been advised by police to suspend drilling, Lawrence Hobbs, of West Sussex police, who is in charge of policing the protest, said: "This was a decision made by the company and we think its a sensible decision."

The Tory MP Tim Yeo told Today he thought that local communities should not have fracking operations and renewable schemes imposed on them but should benefit financially. "I think a significant cash benefit needs to flow back … directly back to the people who live in the villages most affected," he said.

He said low-carbon sources such as wind, solar and nuclear needed to be developed further but shale gas presented an opportunity to increase energy security. "I would prefer that we use gas produced here than both from the Middle East or indeed from Norway," he said, adding that it was better than using coal, which produces higher carbon emissions.

A Guardian poll this week found public opinion sharply divided on the issue of fracking: across the country, 44% of voters said they would support fracking in Britain, with 30% against and the rest undecided. But when asked whether they would welcome fracking in their local area, the proportion of supporters fell back to 40%, and the number opposed jumped to 40%.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ria For This Post:

Timreh (17th August 2013)

12. Link to Post #7
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/le...ng-rant-2012-7
    Late Show host David Letterman went on an epic anti-fracking rant Wednesday evening, calling out “greedy oil and gas companies” for ”injecting highly toxic and carcinogenic chemicals” into the ground.
    David Letterman Goes On An Epic Rant Against Fracking And The 'Greedy Oil And Gas Companies'

He’s the latest celebrity to take issue with the boom in hydraulic fracturing that’s been used to extract hydrocarbons from shale rock. Recently, John Lennon’s widow Yoko Ono and son Sean Lennon went on “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon” to promote their siteArtistsAgainstFracking.com.
    Studies showing the effects of fracking remain highly contentious and somewhat inconclusive.
    Watch Letterman’s rant below:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ria For This Post:

Timreh (17th August 2013)

14. Link to Post #8
    Great Britain Avalon Member Kiforall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,698 times in 526 posts

Ian R Crane discusses the exploits of BP in USA and how we are now here with Lord Brown running the show in Britain.
    http://youtu.be/OWhGstDpKfg

Patrick Henningsen, Brian Gerrish & Mike Robinson discuss the Balcombe Blockade and the UK FRACKING agenda on UK Column Live - Fri 23rd Aug 2013
    http://youtu.be/GNYdzc4VccU
    Experiencing pain and suffering is the gateway to joy and happiness.
    It's chronic pain that prevents the gateway opening.

+ Reply to Thread