+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Century of the Self - amazing documentary - MUST SEE

1. Link to Post #41
    New Zealand Avalon Member HaveBlue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,299 times in 328 posts

Default Re: Century of the Self - amazing documentary - MUST SEE

If we buy their products, we are supporting it. It is hard and time consuming but I do try to find out about the companies I buy from. I will pay more if I have to within reason.

Money is a form of energy and we are personally responsible for who,what,where we give that energy.
    I live on a below average income. It is enlightening to ask yourself 'do I need it or just want it'?

As David Icke says, they're only up there because we are holding them up there.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HaveBlue For This Post:

Debra (12th February 2013), sigma6 (12th February 2013), Taurean (12th February 2013)

3. Link to Post #42
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Here is a documentary on similar theme:

"Consuming Kids: The Commercialization of Childhood is an in-depth look at how children are manipulated and exploited, every moment of every day, to become the best consumers possible."

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 6th November 2018 at 14:56. Reason: updated the video link

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yuhui For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th February 2013), Debra (12th February 2013), sigma6 (12th February 2013)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks
    Thanked 269,876 times in 19,922 posts

-------

Many sincere thanks to all. I now have so many downloaded videos to watch that I'm going to have to take a month off.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

onawah (11th February 2013), Operator (11th February 2013)

7. Link to Post #44
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,989 times in 2,304 posts

Good to see this thread resurrected.

I visit Adam Curtis' blog once a week to see if anything new has been added. His is the was reporting should be: always interesting (even if the subject isn't) and always knowledgeable.
    He doesn't just connecting dots, he paints a Rembrandt.
    Was just reading his article on Somalia and Algeria during the 90's. I find it great the way he includes old BBC archive footage in his articles.

Then there's this write up for his semi-documentary which is from July 2011 (follow link for documentary):

Quote EVERY DAY IS LIKE SUNDAY: THE DOWNFALL OF A PRESS BARON

As we wait to see whether Rupert Murdoch will fall from power and lose control of News International, I thought I would tell the extraordinary and forgotten story of the dramatic downfall of the newspaper mogul who used to dominate Britain before Rupert Murdoch arrived.

Cecil King ran the Daily Mirror - along with over two hundred other papers and magazines - and was as powerful and influential in 1960s Britain as Murdoch would become in the 1980s. The Daily Mirror dominated Fleet Street - and politicians bowed down to its power and influence.

But in 1968 Cecil King became convinced that Britain was heading for disaster - and he decided to engineer what in effect would be a political coup. He was going to use the Daily Mirror to try and bring down the Labour government.

Many in the Labour Party have believed ever since that Cecil King was conspiring with members of MI5 to destroy the democratically elected government, but there appears to be no hard evidence for this.

The truth is that King was in league with more familiar "rogue elements" - senior City of London bankers, including the Governor of the Bank of England, who wanted to force the Labour government to slash the financial deficit. But the Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, was refusing to bow to their demands.

At the same time as this was happening, many of the journalists in Fleet Street were filled with a terrible doom about the future of newspapers. As a result the BBC got excited and went and made all sorts of films about newspapers - recording Fleet Street before it died. Some of the material they filmed is just wonderful - it is full of both touching and silly moments of an old world of journalism.

It also forms a fascinating backdrop to the strange story of Cecil King because much of the BBC material was shot inside the newsrooms of the Mirror, the Express, and the Times at the very moment King was planning his coup. So I decided to make a documentary film which both told the King story and also let some of the archive run longer than normal because it is so fascinating.

I have no idea who most of the journalists are who appear - but I'd love to find out.

Here it is. It's still a rough cut. As well as all the BBC stuff there is also a wonderful bit from the brilliant ITN Source archive - they kept the camera running as Harold Wilson rehearsed an address to the nation.
    Source.
    The fall of Cecil King led to the rise of Rupert Murdoch.
    Things are never what they seem.
    Kind Regards,
    Panopticon
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Christine (13th February 2013)

9. Link to Post #45
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,261 times in 256 posts

Just finished watching episodes 2 & 3, this really is informative stuff.

Episode 2: its hard to imagine how anyone could be more wrong than the Freudians, particularly Anna, with her theory that conformism produces a strong ego, and a strong ego helps one control the destructive inner forces. In fact, it is the ego which is the source of these destructive forces, and conformism exacerbates the destructive impact enormously through the collective ego! It did help me to understand the dull conformism of the 1950s better tho, I had previously put this down to post-war austerity rather than a deliberate planned dullness.

Episode 3: hard to know where to begin. I had never previously understood the differences between the USA and the Britain I grew up in, this helped me to understand the States a bit better. It was a shame to see the energy of the 70s being so outplayed by the capitalists who managed to reinvent themselves and find a way to market individualism. Seems like it was material greed which was our undoing however, I think its fair to say we capitulated pretty easily when faced with a new range of hip products. Meh!

Last episode for me tomorrow

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bram For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th February 2013), onawah (11th February 2013), Operator (12th February 2013)

11. Link to Post #46
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,749 times in 8,858 posts

Just watched all 4 episode last night. Another must for all Avalonian. More for those still caught in the New Age stuff. I truly appreciated. I will show it to friends, it seems the best way to introduce them to what is going on instead of having them resisting conspiracies.

Thanks to all, and to Bill, your comment Bill made me watch it right away.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th February 2013), Christine (13th February 2013), onawah (11th February 2013), Operator (12th February 2013)

13. Link to Post #47
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,629 times in 2,893 posts

Great video, highly educational. This is where I got my definition of "politically correct" from... The idea that Edward Bernays was Freud's nephew. Man I read Freud's biography! Not a perfect man. An intuitive genius, and probably a coke addict, (the cigar was probably his 'balancer') But the psychological interpretations they were imposing on the public at the time... All the data collected over the decades that would be turned into the Big Brother State we are experiencing today... Not an accident. And the Muslim angle, I remember how disturbing that was (I think I need to see it again...)

And a philosophy of happiness through materialism? after your basic 'physical needs', what could further from the truth? This is all points to an underlying program of coming from underneath" playing to the ego, actually I would say more to the id, all that materialistic gratification, compare the average health of Americans (even in their ignorance and naivete) in the 50's to today. America fell to the centuries old and universal truth of the 7 deadly sins. It was a trap from the beginning. And everyone knows the cure to any addiction is not going to be pretty. Especially if it is cold turkey forced against one's will.

There is so much more to living a philosophically responsible life then just 'pursuing' happiness. It is about the journey and how it is arrived at through a discipline and understanding of mind. After a certain point, materialism is nothing more then feeding an addiction of denial of higher truth. That truth being that spiritual reality is the foundation of human existence, and the philosophical reasoning that follows. What defines a man as separate from an animal. I think someone knew what they were doing. Bernays was just another tool. The G Edward Griffith interview of Norman Dodd would support this idea.
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

bram (12th February 2013), Operator (12th February 2013)

15. Link to Post #48
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,851 times in 656 posts

Watching The Century of Self was one of my wake up moments and I really pleased to see it being viewed again here - John Pilger tells it how it is too.

There have been a few references made that Curtis doesn't do 'conspiracy'. Some of my favourite writers - eg George Monbiot, Greg Palast, Noam Chomsky and various others - incredible as it is - appear to believe the official line on 9/11, for example, which I find very frustrating. However, they all provide quite brilliant insight to other topics so, IMHO, it would be a mistake to dismiss their contributions on this one account.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corncrake For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th February 2013), bram (12th February 2013), Operator (12th February 2013)

17. Link to Post #49
    Thanks

Quote Posted by bram (here)

Episode 3: It was a shame to see the energy of the 70s being so outplayed by the capitalists who managed to reinvent themselves and find a way to market individualism. Seems like it was material greed which was our undoing however, I think its fair to say we capitulated pretty easily when faced with a new range of hip products. Meh!
    On reflection, I have an issue with the facts presented in episode 3, which I though I might share here; it was presented in the program that the yippies, having been overwhelmed by the might of the state, got turned by the introduction of some clever marketing including presumably nike sports shoes and personal computers; Maslow's heirarchy of needs was introduced as the convenient explanation for how this happened (i.e. ''self-actualised'' people were attracted by the odious messages of the Thatcher Ray-Gun consortium). But there is something wrong here. This can't be.

I cant imagine any of my ex-hippie friends from this era voting for Thatcher just because they discovered new lines of clothing that allowed them to express their individuality. Without being remotely political, the peace and love movement was inherently left-wing; militarism, war, Thatcher's appalling dislike for the poor and the working classes and ultra snobbery just couldn't have won over the people I knew- unless those people themselves changed in a big way.

Maslow's theory itself is ethnocentric as it takes for granted a high regard for individualism; in this respect it is self-fulfilling prophecy. All it really says is that in an individualistic society, once people's basic needs are met, they will seek to express themselves in an individualistic and self absorbed manner. It doesn't account for collectivism, empathy or compassion and assumes that poor people have no higher ideals than basic survival, which is untrue.

So I am left with the suspicion that the majority of those people who thought they wanted to take back the world from the elite just sold out as soon as the going got tough; it didn't need new marketing ploys, it was the might of the state that inflicted an easy defeat and left them running home to their middle class families, planning new careers as investment bankers? Just thinking out loud really......

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bram For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th February 2013), Operator (12th February 2013)

19. Link to Post #50
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,776 times in 4,212 posts

All watched over by machines of loving grace - (Adam Curtis)

- Episode 1:

Love and power

https://vimeo.com/groups/96331/videos/80799353
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 6th November 2018 at 14:59. Reason: updated the video link
    .................................................. my first language is TYPO..............................................

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th February 2013), Christine (13th February 2013)

21. Link to Post #51
    Thanks

Hi all,

Just finished watching the final episode which nicely framed the dilemmas faced by the Labour Party and the Democrats now they have abandoned all their principles for a few pieces of silver; does anybody see a way forward from this mess I wonder?

I am left thinking that the theory we held in the 70s was probably the correct one, before we got sidetracked for 40 years or so- we need to individually raise our consciousness and if enough people can do so, it will impact the whole of society more than we might imagine- enough to start the global ascension.

22. Link to Post #52
    United States Avalon Member WEAREONE's Avatar
    Thanks

It seems to me that a very important idea to remember is that the government activley looked into the psych of the person, and the psych of the masses. The known studies and unknown studies conducted by our own government should be a wake up call to everyone that the war bieng waged has elements of psychology. I would like to know if there is any known psychologists in the freedom movement who know of the tactics bieng used and is able to point them out and then offer solutions or suggest defenses. In a sense is there a whistle blower out there who is trained in the psychology field?? Any links or videos would be helpful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3