+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 98 FirstFirst 1 6 16 56 98 LastLast

Thread: Calling all light warriors - the Bees need you!

1. Link to Post #101
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,586 times in 2,838 posts

Default Re: Calling all light warriors - the Bees need you!

Quote Posted by Anchor (here)
    I saw several thousand yesterday, swarming. Bees are quite well looked after here
    double... glad there looked after.sure wish i coulda seen em.swarms never cease to amaze me.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Christine (16th September 2013), northstar (16th September 2013), Star Tsar (17th September 2013)

3. Link to Post #102
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 times in 466 posts

Quote Posted by doodah (here)
    But 6!! That's great, since there were NONE, then there was ONE, now there are SIX. I was so excited watching them that I forgot to ask them to bring more of their sisters tomorrow.
    This thread is sooo uplifting to read!!
    Awesome contributions by all!

doodah- I think the bees are appreciating your excitement, joy and happiness - what a welcoming vibration and energy for them!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to northstar For This Post:

Christine (16th September 2013), doodah (17th September 2013), silverfish (16th September 2013), Star Tsar (17th September 2013), william r sanford72 (16th September 2013)

5. Link to Post #103
    Thanks

doodah.i no what you mean by going into them..sorta.my first pet was an insect.praying mantis.i could feel her.there were no thoughts.or perception of time or reality as i see it in this bond.same with the bees.didnt need to go down and look in to know they were building queen cells ready to swarm.felt it.been able to do this my whole life with little effort..for the first 12 years of my life.its not as effortless now and most times this going into or connecting happens on its own.i find trying to do it often screws me up.it goes best when there is almost no intent.it feels more like a flowing of energy.only way i can descibe it.thoe i wish i could do it like when i was 6 and 10 ..its when this is happening.the connection..i could ask the insect. a dragonfly lands on my hand..or a humming bird hovers in front of me eye to eye..following me..feeling them..thats about the only time i truly feel at home again.make sense?? it is whats driving me now to help them.all life.this bond never really totally goes away for me.iam blessed in this truth.and feel very gratefull for this ability and connection.
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 16th September 2013 at 15:10.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

doodah (17th September 2013), northstar (16th September 2013), silverfish (16th September 2013), Star Tsar (17th September 2013)

7. Link to Post #104
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 times in 747 posts

Quote Posted by william r sanford72 (here)
    doodah.i no what you mean by going into them..sorta.my first pet was an insect.praying mantis.i could feel her.there were no thoughts.or perception of time or reality as i see it in this bond.same with the bees.didnt need to go down and look in to know they were building queen cells ready to swarm.felt it.been able to do this my whole life with little effort..for the first 12 years of my life.its not as effortless now and most times this going into or connecting happens on its own.i find trying to do it often screws me up.it goes best when there is almost no intent.it feels more like a flowing of energy.only way i can descibe it.thoe i wish i could do it like when i was 6 and 10 ..its when this is happening.the connection..i could ask the insect. a dragonfly lands on my hand..or a humming bird hovers in front of me eye to eye..following me..feeling them..thats about the only time i truly feel at home again.make sense?? it is whats driving me now to help them.all life.this bond never really totally goes away for me.iam blessed in this truth.and feel very gratefull for this ability and connection.
    EXACTLY! I spent my early years just like you describe, with the same ease, and up to about age 12. I guess when the hormones kick in, it messes us up a little. I've gotten a lot of that back as I've chosen to "retreat" from the hectic world and return to my roots, so to speak, with the plants and animals. I'm sure we could share many stories!

But for today, 4 wild honeybees on the same flowers as yesterday. (Anchor thinks this is no big deal, but believe me, it IS.) And I have a question for you. I noticed that the bumblebees on the same flowers had lots of accumulated pollen on their back legs -- we've always called that their saddlebags! But the honeybees seemed to have the tops of their heads covered in pollen, not their legs. Is this normal?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doodah For This Post:

northstar (17th September 2013), silverfish (17th September 2013), Star Tsar (17th September 2013), william r sanford72 (17th September 2013)

9. Link to Post #105
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

Yes my son has/had an affinity for the insects worn off a little now as he has got older but when he was younger he never ceased to amaze me with his knowledge of the insect kingdom at one point I had a window sill full of house crickets, devils coach horses, female stag beetles (He NEVER caught a male but always wanted too!) moths you name it he caught em!!
    Was good opportunity to teach him the value of every life-form....
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

doodah (18th September 2013), northstar (17th September 2013), silverfish (17th September 2013), william r sanford72 (17th September 2013)

11. Link to Post #106
    United States Avalon Member Conchis's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 times in 273 posts

Honey bees have pollen bags as well. If you watch the hive you'll see them coming in about every 10th bee is working pollen. The rest are bringing in water and nectar. They will have pollen all over them though like you said from sticking their head in the flowers to collect nectar.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Conchis For This Post:

doodah (18th September 2013), northstar (17th September 2013), silverfish (17th September 2013), Star Tsar (17th September 2013), william r sanford72 (17th September 2013)

13. Link to Post #107
    Thanks

they have pollen traps for the hive.so you can harvest pollen some are pretty brutal.it cathches there legs and such at the hive entrance..sometimes taking a leg with it.i suppose there are pollen traps that are less stress full and less harmfull but i just dont or didnot feel right about using any.i always like the differant colors of pollen coming in.bright orange to dull pink to powdery yellow.what about the glue they make??pretty sticky stuff.
    PROPOLIS..sorry its cool word..is a resin like substance gathered by workers from tree buds or limbs.in the summer it becomes very sticky..so the bees use it for mending and filling cracks.seal up and cover obstacles..i once found a poor mouse in a corner of a hive..must of gotten caught during winter..was stung to death then the body was coverd with propolis.almost like embalming them in away. during summer.they also use it to strengthen the combs at there junctions with the walls and reduce entrance.during hot years they gather loads of it..its carried in there pollen sacks..sometimes they will coat there entire walls with it.pretty cool stuff.but hard to gett outta clothes!!. and hard to work with sometimes.seal a top to hive pretty darn tight it will...360 wave.inward.outward.focused intent.balance into flow...
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 17th September 2013 at 15:24.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

doodah (18th September 2013), northstar (17th September 2013), silverfish (17th September 2013), Star Tsar (17th September 2013)

15. Link to Post #108
    Thanks

Quote Posted by doodah (here)
    EXACTLY! I spent my early years just like you describe, with the same ease, and up to about age 12. I guess when the hormones kick in, it messes us up a little. I've gotten a lot of that back as I've chosen to "retreat" from the hectic world and return to my roots, so to speak, with the plants and animals. I'm sure we could share many stories!

But for today, 4 wild honeybees on the same flowers as yesterday. (Anchor thinks this is no big deal, but believe me, it IS.) And I have a question for you. I noticed that the bumblebees on the same flowers had lots of accumulated pollen on their back legs -- we've always called that their saddlebags! But the honeybees seemed to have the tops of their heads covered in pollen, not their legs. Is this normal?
    Hormones.maybe some truth to it.hint..any ways.good question.bumblebees probiscus..spelling??sorry...is much longer.and also they are bigger.what a bumblebee can work and gather nectar from a honey bee might not bee able to due to the nectar being to far or deep for them to reach.not every flower is honey bee friendly in that respect.the honey bee often is way up into that flower and if you watch she will often brush into a state where she can put into there sacks..and also..honey bees seemed more charged.??also there hair..honeybee hair is finer than a bumblebees.so now ya no..that not all flowers can be worked by a honeybee and why nature..she knows her stuff...made such a diverse group of bees....whoops almost forgot..when she goes back to the hive..there are workers often ready to take her load.nectar pollen and water..they also clean up the foraging worker.so nothing ever goes to waste...
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 17th September 2013 at 15:51.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

doodah (18th September 2013), northstar (25th September 2013), silverfish (17th September 2013), Star Tsar (17th September 2013)

17. Link to Post #109
    Thanks

can i just add ONE more thing???..thank you again for this thread.avalon is magic.mr ryan and the rest of the crew..truly beings of light.sorry..enough mushy stuff.back to work.....
    TRUTH and BALANCE

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

doodah (18th September 2013), northstar (17th September 2013), silverfish (17th September 2013), Star Tsar (17th September 2013)

19. Link to Post #110
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 times in 466 posts

Hormones.maybe some truth to it.hint..any ways.good question.bumblebees probiscus..spelling??sorry...is much longer.and also they are bigger.what a bumblebee can work and gather nectar from a honey bee might not bee able to due to the nectar being to far or deep for them to reach.not every flower is honey bee friendly in that respect.the honey bee often is way up into that flower and if you watch she will often brush into a state where she can put into there sacks..and also..honey bees seemed more charged.??also there hair..honeybee hair is finer than a bumblebees.so now ya no..that not all flowers can be worked by a honeybee and why nature..she knows her stuff...made such a diverse group of bees....whoops almost forgot..when she goes back to the hive..there are workers often ready to take her load.nectar pollen and water..they also clean up the foraging worker.so nothing ever goes to waste...
    haha - I LOVE reading your bee stories William!!
    I don't have hives myself so I deeply appreciate hearing stories from gardeners and people with beekeeping experience and anyone with bee stories to share!!

Also, I would love to hear about how everyone's bee meditations are going!!
    I get a sense the bees in the Northern Hemisphere are about to go into their wintering time. It would be awesome to do some meditations seeing them awaken in the spring to a pristine, clean, healthy ecosystem where they can thrive.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to northstar For This Post:

doodah (18th September 2013), silverfish (18th September 2013), Star Tsar (17th September 2013), william r sanford72 (17th September 2013)

21. Link to Post #111
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 times in 747 posts

Joining in to say thanks to William, Conchis, and whoever else has been giving us lots of bee information. It's really great to get a good mental picture of how they do what they do.

Meditating for the bees as they go into winter sounds like a good idea.

William, Conchis, others, can you give us some details about what makes a good over-winter situation for the queen? Everybody else dies off, right?

As you say, northstar, we do want a pristine, clean, healthy ecosystem for them in the spring ... and also the right kinds of flowers. What I'm seeing right now is that the honeybees don't seem to like marigolds or goldenrod now, in the fall.

For the spring and summer, clover is a traditional blossom for them, I think? Not much natural clover here, so maybe I'll have to plant some for them. What else? Please don't say apple trees! They take too long. Thanks for any hints. (And mushy stuff is okay, William!)

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doodah For This Post:

northstar (25th September 2013), silverfish (18th September 2013), william r sanford72 (18th September 2013)

23. Link to Post #112
    Thanks

theres a book i love and really gives one a perspective on what it was like in some respects before farming changed.before we really began to change..it was wrote in 1926 by John H. Lovell..Honey Plants of North America..its still usefull.was for me.its still beeing published i believe.might have tons of useful stuff on the net to.overwintering bees.man thats not a short answer kinda question.answer that one tomarrow unless conchis is game or someone else... constant wave.360.inward.outward.focus intent.balance into flow.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

doodah (18th September 2013), northstar (25th September 2013), silverfish (18th September 2013)

25. Link to Post #113
    Thanks

overwintering bees..my first few hives sufferd under my care while trial and error on my part took place.the first year i gott advice from a few beekeepers to insulate my hives for winter.i tryed everything..roofing tar paper..to insulating board a half inch thick.them first years i look back on and can only shake my head in wonder they..the bees survived me.don t wrap your hives for winter unless you live in northern states where winter hangs on longer and deeper..just my O.P.propper venting is key.the bees will do the rest..just reduce the entrance..mainly against mice and draft.
    Honey bees dont die off for winter.but as i wrote and others the drones are the only bee killed or driven out.there will bee plenty of workers.young bees..a hive hopes..and the queen and her health really play a role in if a colony of bees will make it.they tend to slowww down and ball up around the queen keepn her warm..and sleep.the queens not laying eggs and everthing kinda goes into a slow mo session until winter passes.hopefully with a bunch of new young workers waiting for spring.so thats my short and honey sweet answer.the cold snap passed.the bees are working hard while they can.and that swarm left when i wasnt looking.hope they make it.360 constant wave.inward.outward..focused intent..balance into flow....
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 19th September 2013 at 15:19.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

northstar (25th September 2013), thunder24 (19th September 2013)

27. Link to Post #114
    Thanks

honey bees at the farmers market yesterday.landing and hovering over and on the wild grapes.peaches and mellons cut for samples.no wasp.yellow jackets..just the little ladys.first time i seen em at the market.seemed to follow us to each vendor.made my favor..rite friday intown visit...even better!!..360...balance into
    flow.
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 21st September 2013 at 14:13.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Gardener (25th September 2013), northstar (25th September 2013), silverfish (21st September 2013)

29. Link to Post #115
    Thanks

What makes a Queen a queen??..whats done to the egg..and pupa thats not done to the rest??..simple diet.bottom line..its what they feed the chosen egg and pupa.ROYAL JELLY.its a mix..of all the same things workers feed the other brood with just a slight diff.the workers and drones are fed this same diet..ffor about the first 3 days of development..then to a dry coarser mixture of pollen and honey..compared to the chosen queen or queens..who are fed this super rich diet for her whole time in the development stage.15 days.royal jelly is highly prized in many cultures.from are ancient past to presant.the workers produce very limited amounts.so any said amount stolen from a hive is great loss in my op.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

30. The Following User Says Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

northstar (25th September 2013)

31. Link to Post #116
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 times in 630 posts

theres a book i love and really gives one a perspective on what it was like in some respects before farming changed.before we really began to change..it was wrote in 1926 by John H. Lovell..Honey Plants of North America..its still usefull.was for me.its still beeing published i believe.might have tons of useful stuff on the net to.overwintering bees.man thats not a short answer kinda question.answer that one tomarrow unless conchis is game or someone else... constant wave.360.inward.outward.focus intent.balance into flow.
    I just checked on Amazon, it is $150.00.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MargueriteBee For This Post:

northstar (25th September 2013), william r sanford72 (21st September 2013)

33. Link to Post #117
    Thanks

Quote Posted by MargueriteBee (here)
    I just checked on Amazon, it is $150.00.
    mine is a reprint i bought through a bee keeping supply catalog..for about $40.00 .15 years ago.DADANTs..is the name and may still bee selling them..[www.dadant.com
    i have never been on there web site but they may have it still.if n your interested.
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 21st September 2013 at 15:03.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

34. The Following User Says Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

35. Link to Post #118
    Thanks

also.as far as overwintering.they need atleast 60 to 80 pounds of honey and such to make it through winter and the early lull of spring to come out thriving.in my op.and never recomend feeding unless starving to death or new hive etc.well just wanted to add that as an after thought....balance into flow.
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 24th September 2013 at 04:53.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

36. The Following User Says Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

37. Link to Post #119
    Thanks

fall has set in deep now.its in the sun and and the shadows stretch longer and days shorter.our windows and screens are beat up from big dogs and kids..it gives the insects a way in.the wasp at this time of year tend to find these cracks and gather in the corners.four or five in a spot as if to get warm.there are many more this year in the house than ever befor.there very lathargic..sp??...slow??drunk??anyways that i flick them on to my hand or cup and carry em out.in hurry cause my heat perks em up pretty fast.and wasp ladys..there edgy gals.only one fall swarm this year.the other hive i have close by is packed full of honey and pollen and bees.the other hives i havnt checked on.they are pretty isolated.and i tend to only maintain the equip and housing for em.dont rob em and let em do there thing unless i sense something in the hives then i dig in and have a look.they are my wild bees..i just provide em a home.and they dont have to worry about me robbing em.well enough rambles.360 wave.inward..to outward.focused intent.balance into flow.truth always.william.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Gardener (25th September 2013), northstar (25th September 2013), silverfish (25th September 2013)

39. Link to Post #120
    Thanks

Quote i tend to only maintain the equip and housing for em.dont rob em and let em do there thing unless i sense something in the hives then i dig in and have a look.they are my wild bees..i just provide em a home.and they dont have to worry about me robbing em.
    thankyou William for what you provide for "your" bees .
    if I had a chance this is what I would like to do. it makes me very happy to hear
    also thanks for keeping this thread alive

things have really quietened down here (I m in Scotland ) the temp has dropped, not too cold but damp
    and have noticed a sharp decrease of insect activity but I keep them in my thoughts as I know so many others do
    bee happy mr bee man
    silver

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverfish For This Post:

northstar (25th September 2013), william r sanford72 (26th September 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 98 FirstFirst 1 6 16 56 98 LastLast