+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 12 22 62 98 LastLast

Thread: Calling all light warriors - the Bees need you!

1. Link to Post #221
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,586 times in 2,838 posts

Default Re: Calling all light warriors - the Bees need you!

Due to what is underneath this land the geological factors..we are blessed with easy access to underground water.wells.there are 3 within 100 yards of each other from where i write that are around 100 years old.maybe a bit older than that.no records i could trace after that.old timers storys stop just before..anyways..they get low..real low during the the dry seasons..late summer..thoe never dry..atleast in the last 50 years for sure.always water shine at the bottom.since it was tapped.this morning the low lying well to the north is dry.bone freaking dry..no water.like the ground opened up and decided to drink it.??so....seems i best get ready for another odd year..and the bees i hope adapt as they always seem able to do..cause they seem happy and content..and worry not.follown there lead today.
    Balance.
    Truth Always
    Sanford tribe.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

carryattune (2nd April 2014), Conchis (1st April 2014), Krist (9th April 2014), Robin (22nd March 2014)

3. Link to Post #222
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

interestingly enough while at Lowes the other night i ran across plum trees and peach trees and blueberry bushes on sale at a remarkable reduction so i bought 2 plum 2 peach and 2 blueberry bushes, the fruit trees and blueberry bushes will definitely help the bees come around, i already have plans for asparagus and a big garden this year so hopefully this will help the bees and help all those who eat the organic veggies, im so excited to have a garden again , thanks for a wonderful post,peace,dennis

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tnkayaker For This Post:

carryattune (2nd April 2014), Krist (9th April 2014), mischief (23rd March 2014), Robin (22nd March 2014), thunder24 (1st April 2014), william r sanford72 (23rd March 2014)

5. Link to Post #223
    Thanks

Reading back through the thread.and the post.seems like.well i wish i could bee posting more usefull info.relevant.due to lack of tech thats not poss.everything by hand.thumbs.and would like to say sorry.i keep posting so the thread wont bee buried.i feel compelled to write.and encourage anybody...to add.and ignore my sometime rambles.
    balance.
    truth.
    William.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

carryattune (2nd April 2014), Krist (9th April 2014), Limor Wolf (2nd April 2014), Robin (1st April 2014)

7. Link to Post #224
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

Thanks for keeping the thread alive, William. I am currently living in northeastern Missouri, not too far from you, on a farm. Eight out of their fourteen colonies died this winter. What a tragedy!
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

carryattune (2nd April 2014), Limor Wolf (2nd April 2014), william r sanford72 (1st April 2014)

9. Link to Post #225
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

I intend on getting a hive this year... the local garden supply store has a local yokal offering to sell multiple types of hives, appalachian built. I would assume he would know where to get a colony also... or is that the hive and what I called a hive actually a box... I dunno

Planted plums, apples, peaches, pears and blueberries last year, bought more blueberries for this year, and intend on acquiring a few more peach and apple trees...

Every year I do my best to split the flowers, which consist of 'old tyme' daffodils ( these are not trumpet shaped but are more carnation shapped flowers) dutch irises, ditch lillies, maroon lilies, multiple colored Iris', along with my propogation of Enchincea and daisies, and black eyed susans etc..., from our property.

peace
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

carryattune (2nd April 2014), Limor Wolf (2nd April 2014), william r sanford72 (1st April 2014)

11. Link to Post #226
    Thanks

have family your way samwise.8 of 14 colonies.its not a total loss.as long as it wasnt due to sickness.i lost half my hives every year for the first 3.There are lots of reason for a colony to die off.if the freeze and lack o food doesnt stress em...mites and chems and tech are always waiting.dont give up.build em up...the remaining hives that is.might bee able to pull some splits from them.if they are housing a strong and healthy laying queen.carefull where and who you buy queens from.the breeder should bee researched.other wise youll end up with what i call a ...factory queen...and they bee hard pressed to produce anything healthy or viable.and money wasted.and thanks samwise.
    balance
    truth always.
    William.
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 1st April 2014 at 14:29.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

12. The Following User Says Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

carryattune (2nd April 2014)

13. Link to Post #227
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thunder24 (here)
    I intend on getting a hive this year... the local garden supply store has a local yokal offering to sell multiple types of hives, appalachian built. I would assume he would know where to get a colony also... or is that the hive and what I called a hive actually a box... I dunno

Planted plums, apples, peaches, pears and blueberries last year, bought more blueberries for this year, and intend on acquiring a few more peach and apple trees...

Every year I do my best to split the flowers, which consist of 'old tyme' daffodils ( these are not trumpet shaped but are more carnation shapped flowers) dutch irises, ditch lillies, maroon lilies, multiple colored Iris', along with my propogation of Enchincea and daisies, and black eyed susans etc..., from our property.

peace
    Hive or colony..about the same depending on who your talking to.Cool that your getting a hive!..i would recomend 2 for anyone just staring out.they can bee fickle some times and the world aint nice to em.better odds with 2.my O.P
    balance
    truth.
    William
    TRUTH and BALANCE

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

carryattune (2nd April 2014), thunder24 (2nd April 2014)

15. Link to Post #228
    United States Avalon Member Conchis's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 times in 273 posts

We had a huge ice storm here a few weeks back. Ice broke tree after tree and one of them landed on one of my hives, crushed it and the bees froze. So sad.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Conchis For This Post:

carryattune (2nd April 2014), william r sanford72 (3rd April 2014)

17. Link to Post #229
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

Let us not forget about Bumblebees, which also pollinate crops...
    A quarter of Europe's bumblebees, vital to crops, face extinction: study

By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent

OSLO (Reuters) - Almost a quarter of Europe's bumblebees are at risk of extinction due to loss of habitats and climate change, threatening pollination of crops worth billions of dollars, a study showed on Wednesday.

Sixteen of 68 bumblebee species in Europe are at risk, the Red List of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) said. It is preparing a global study of the bees, whose honeybee cousins are in steep decline because of disease.

"Of the five most important insect pollinators of European crops, three are bumblebee species," said the IUCN, which groups governments, scientists and conservation groups.

"Together with other pollinators, bumblebees contribute more than 22 billion euros ($30.35 billion) to European agriculture a year," it said in a statement.

Of Europe's bumblebee species, populations of almost half are falling and just 13 percent are increasing, it said.

Often with yellow and black stripes and bigger than honeybees, bumblebees live in small nests of up to 200 and do not make honeycombs. Some bumblebees are commercially bred to pollinate tomatoes, peppers and aubergines in greenhouses.

"Climate change, the intensification of agriculture and changes in agricultural land are the main threats" to bumblebees, said the report, the first Red List assessment of threats to bumblebees.

The European Union's top environment official said the 28-nation bloc was taking action to improve the situation.

"The EU recently banned or restricted the use of certain pesticides that are dangerous to bees and is funding research into status of pollinators," said EU Environment Commissioner Janez Potoċnik in a statement.

"However, efforts clearly need to be scaled up," he added. The IUCN study was funded by the European Commission.

DISEASE

The study did not mention the possibility that honeybee diseases were spreading to bumblebees.

A study in the journal Nature in February said that deformed wing virus, for instance, was found in both honeybees and bumblebees in Britain. The virus was more prevalent in honeybees, suggesting it was spreading from them to bumblebees.

"In general, we don't know a lot about bumblebee disease," Stuart Roberts, a member of the IUCN's global bumblebee assessment team, told Reuters.

"Some of these threatened bumblebees are isolated, living in the Arctic or the Alps," he said. "In those places the chance of picking up a disease from a honeybee is almost nil."

The Arctic species Bombus hyperboreus, living in the Scandinavian tundra and Russia, is vulnerable because global warming is shrinking its habitat, the study said.

Populations of the critically endangered Bombus cullumanus, now found only in France, have fallen by more than 80 percent in the past decade, apparently because of a reduction in the amount of meadows with clover, its favorite forage, the study added.

Only queen bumblebees survive the winter.

Honeybees, living in longer-lasting colonies of thousands of bees, make honeycombs largely to ensure that the insects have food to survive months with no nectar-making flowers. ($1 = 0.7249 Euros)

(Editing by Gareth Jones)
    Source
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

carryattune (2nd April 2014), Krist (9th April 2014), Limor Wolf (2nd April 2014), mischief (19th July 2014), thunder24 (3rd April 2014), william r sanford72 (3rd April 2014)

19. Link to Post #230
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 times in 747 posts

Thank you, William, and all you Keepers of the Bees. I haven't posted here in a long time, but I wanted to report that after 5 years of diminishing wild honeybees, and last year NO honeybees, I have seen honeybees gathering pollen in the last few days.

We had a very very severe, harsh winter here in southwest Virginia, much colder than normal and it stayed severely cold for longer periods than normal. Despite all that, the daffodils are blooming strong and looking very robust, and there are *some* honeybees around the periwinkle which is just now blooming.

May they stay! May they increase! Not only here, but everywhere... One does wonder if the work done here has contributed to their return? If so, I am grateful for all the good thoughts and love put out there to encourage them.

[PS ... does anyone know what happened to North Star? I just checked her page and it says her last post was May 15, 2013. I do hope all is well with her. I miss her posts.]

Love and peace,
    Doodah

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doodah For This Post:

Krist (9th April 2014), silverfish (8th April 2014), william r sanford72 (4th April 2014)

21. Link to Post #231
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

It is in French by I got to put it here. The bee killer has been found. It is a pesticide used to cover the seeds of corns and soya amongst others. The pesticides cumulâtes in the water puddles in which the bees get their water. So bees are not contaminated anylonger with the same pesticides being sprayed, but they are in the water since the pesticide get up in the plant with the "sève" and then goes around.

anyhow, here the article

Quote Recherche | Abeilles

Un tueur d’abeilles croupit dans les flaques

Anne Caroline Desplanques

Journal de Montréal, Publié le: lundi 31 mars 2014, 22H24 | Mise à jour: lundi 31 mars 2014, 22H35

Un tueur d’abeilles croupit dans les flaques

Récipiendaire de la Bourse Laure Waridel, le jeune biologiste Olivier Samson-Robert étudie l'impact des néonicotinoïdes sur les abeilles, pour lui c'est en s'abreuvant dans les flaques d'eau qui se forment dans les champs que les insctes s'intoxiquent tout au long de la saison estival.

Causes de mortalité selon le Programme des Nations unies pour l'environnement:

Diminution des plantes à fleurs

Produits chimiques

Pollution de l’air

Champs électromagnétiques (Ex: lignes électriques à haute tension)

Parasites et ravageurs

Concurrences des espèces exotiques (Ex: abeille africanisée)

Changements climatiques

­­­Un jeune chercheur québécois est le premier au monde à mettre le doigt sur une des causes de la disparition massive des abeilles à l’échelle planétaire.

Après deux étés à étudier les champs montérégiens, Olivier Samson-Robert, de l’Université Laval, est convaincu que le tueur se cache dans les flaques d’eau des champs.

Il s’agit d’une famille de pesticides appelés néonicotinoïdes, employés massivement comme enrobage des semences. Ces substances se répandent dans le sol et dans la plante par la sève.

Pesticides

Sous le coup d’un moratoire en Europe, ils sont omniprésents dans nos champs et inquiètent les scientifiques qui accumulent depuis deux ans les preuves de leur implication dans le déclin mondial des colonies d’abeilles.

Ces insectes ont déjà disparu de certaines régions d’Asie, où il faut maintenant polliniser les plantes à la main. Chez nous, le taux de mortalité des colonies a doublé depuis 10 ans, selon le ministère de l’Agriculture (MAPAQ), pour atteindre 30%.

Jamais un scientifique n’avait cherché l’assassin présumé dans les flaques avant M.Samson-Robert. Ces sources d’eau sont pourtant vitales pour les abeilles, car elles sont plus chaudes que les cours d’eau, ce qui permet aux insectes de maintenir leur température corporelle, explique-t-il.

Or, 100% des flaques que l’étudiant en biologie végétale a échantillonnées dans les champs de maïs montérégiens contenaient des néonicotinoïdes à des taux dépassant parfois les 100 fois la dose mortelle.

Ces données vont à l’encontre des arguments des fabricants, qui affirment que l’enrobage des grains permet d’arrêter l’épandage de pesticides par voie aérienne, donc d’éviter que les abeilles entrent en contact avec le produit.

Impact politique

En remettant la bourse Laure Waridel de 10 000 $ à M.Samson-Robert le 3 mars, Equiterre espérait que ces travaux auraient un impact politique. Ce, à l’heure où les environnementalistes réclament que les néonicotinoïdes soient bannis.

Mais l’agence de Santé Canada qui réglemente les pesticides, l’ARLA, indique ne pas considérer cette avenue pour le moment, et ce, même si elle estime que «les pratiques agricoles actuelles ayant trait à l’utilisation de semences de maïs et de soja traitées aux néonicotinoïdes ne sont pas viables».

L’agence se limite à imposer des mesures pour limiter l’émission de poussière contaminée pendant les semis. Cela permettra probablement de réduire la mortalité au printemps, mais pas tout au long de l’été, d’après les travaux de M. Samson-Robert.

CropLife Canada, l’association commerciale qui représente l’industrie des pesticides, estime quant à elle qu’«il existe plusieurs autres facteurs pouvant expliquer les pertes inhabituelles» d’abeilles, outre les néonicotinoïdes. Elle se dit «profondément» préoccupée que d’autres menaces soient «négligées».
    http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...-rDRI.facebook
    --------------

From Google Translate

A killer bee languishing in puddles

Journal de Montreal, Published : Monday, March 31, 2014 , 10:24 p.m. | Updated: Monday, March 31, 2014 , 10:35 p.m.

Recipient of the Award Waridel , the young biologist Robert Olivier Samson studying the impact of neonicotinoids on bees , for him it is drinking from puddles that form in fields that insctes s' intoxicated throughout the summer season.

Causes of death according to the United Nations Program for the Environment:

Decrease in flowering plants

chemicals

Air pollution

Electromagnetic fields ( Ex : Electric power lines )

Pest

Competition exotic expèces (Ex : AHB )

Climate Change

A young Quebec researcher is the first in the world to pinpoint a cause of the mass extinction of bees worldwide.

After two summers studying the Montérégie fields , Olivier Robert Samson , Laval University , is convinced that the killer is hiding in puddles fields .

It is a family of pesticides called neonicotinoids , used heavily as seed coating . These substances are spread in the soil and in the plant sap .

pesticides

Within the scope of a moratorium in Europe, they are ubiquitous in our fields and concerned scientists who accumulate two years the evidence of their involvement in the global decline in bee colonies.

These insects have already disappeared from parts of Asia , where it is now pollinating the plants by hand. For us, the mortality rate of the colonies doubled since 10 years , according to the Ministry of Agriculture (MAPAQ) , reaching 30%.

Never a scientist had sought the alleged assassin in puddles before M.Samson -Robert . These water sources are nevertheless vital to bees because they are warmer than the stream, which allows insects to maintain their body temperature, he says.

However, 100% of the puddles that the student in plant biology has sampled fields Montérégie corn contained neonicotinoids at levels sometimes exceeding 100 times the lethal dose .

These data are contrary to the arguments of the manufacturers , who argue that grain coatings will stop spraying pesticides by air, thus avoiding the bees come into contact with the product.

political impact

In presenting the award Waridel of $ 10,000 to M.Samson -Robert on March 3 , Equiterre hoped that the work would have a political impact. This , at a time when environmentalists claim that neonicotinoids are banned.

But the agency Health Canada regulates pesticides , the PMRA says not to consider this avenue for the moment, and even if she believes that " current agricultural practices related to the use of maize seed and soybean treated with neonicotinoids are not viable . "

The agency is limited to impose measures to limit the emission of contaminated dust during seeding . This will probably reduce mortality in the spring , but not throughout the summer, from the work of Dr. Robert Samson .

CropLife Canada , the trade association representing the pesticide industry , for its part considers that " there are several other factors that may explain the unusual losses" of bees , in addition to neonicotinoids. She "deeply " concerned that other threats are "neglected" .http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...-rDRI.facebook
    Last edited by Flash; 9th April 2014 at 08:32.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Conchis (9th April 2014), Krist (9th April 2014), mischief (19th July 2014), Robin (9th April 2014), silverfish (13th April 2014), william r sanford72 (9th April 2014)

23. Link to Post #232
    Thanks

nice post Flash and everyone...ever so slowly light will be revealed.alott of factors play into there demise..when i first began keeping bees..and truly understood..it became a part of me..woke something in my past.and in the moment that drives me now.im gratefull Bill Ryan in his wisdom..and the rest of ya..seen as i saw.felt.i wasnt a lone..or the crazy bee guy as i used to bee known around home for the last 10 years...and asked to to help save the bees..when there was so much other work seeming to be much more important needn focused on
    then honey bees..considering the larger picture..its anothe magical moment...i will take to source.thank you all.avalon still rocks...Bill Ryan bee one wise Dude..and this is not coming from some butt kisser.guru following teachers pet..as some all ready know.
    Balance.
    Truth Always.
    William.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Flash (9th April 2014), Limor Wolf (11th April 2014), Robin (9th April 2014), silverfish (13th April 2014)

25. Link to Post #233
    Thanks

Wow, wow, wow!! You gotta love nature. So a few weeks back I reported that the ice storm we had a month or so ago crushed one of my hives and the bees froze. I put the broken hive back together and set it aside. Today I went out to look at the hive that made it...and voila....I had caught a swarm in the crushed hive...not only that....I had caught another swarm in an another empty box! YAY.....I'm actually one hive UP now....

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Conchis For This Post:

Flash (11th April 2014), Robin (11th April 2014), sheme (12th April 2014), silverfish (12th April 2014), william r sanford72 (12th April 2014)

27. Link to Post #234
    Thanks

not been here for a while thanks for all your posts William and keeping this thread alive .I talked last year of making a bee " hotel" . Well my youngest helped me and my o.h. build one about a month ago . The weather has remained cold so not much interest as yet other than a fat bumble sheltering to warm up in the penthouse apartment .
    bee well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	733.2 KB
ID:	25513  

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverfish For This Post:

Conchis (12th April 2014), william r sanford72 (12th April 2014)

29. Link to Post #235
    Thanks

Quote Posted by silverfish (here)
    not been here for a while thanks for all your posts William and keeping this thread alive .I talked last year of making a bee " hotel" . Well my youngest helped me and my o.h. build one about a month ago . The weather has remained cold so not much interest as yet other than a fat bumble sheltering to warm up in the penthouse apartment .
    bee well
    no worrys..im sure your bee penthouse/condos..will fill up once the buzz is out about a nice safe place to rear brood gets around..very cool silverfish.
    Balance.
    Truth.
    William.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

30. The Following User Says Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

silverfish (13th April 2014)

31. Link to Post #236
    Thanks

Here's a little video of my pollinators at work out in my blueberry field. They are mostly blueberry bees; they are a sort of half-pint bumble bee. There are some honey bees out there as well though. Turn the sound up. It's amazing to walk through a field that vibrates with this sound.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Conchis For This Post:

silverfish (13th April 2014), william r sanford72 (13th April 2014)

33. Link to Post #237
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Conchis (here)
    Here's a little video of my pollinators at work out in my blueberry field. They are mostly blueberry bees; they are a sort of half-pint bumble bee. There are some honey bees out there as well though. Turn the sound up. It's amazing to walk through a field that vibrates with this sound.
    Nice.the sound is like going home in a small way.music you can feel in your cells.
    Balance
    Truth.
    William.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

34. Link to Post #238
    United States Avalon Member Heartsong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 times in 498 posts

I have plenty of blooming early perennials blooming but no bees. I've seen one bumble and one honey but not the crowds I'm accustomed to later in the year.
    Is there a temperature or time of year they prefer?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Heartsong For This Post:

william r sanford72 (14th April 2014)

36. Link to Post #239
    Thanks

depends on location.Honeybees will fly at 45 degree temps. in the middle of feb.if they get a chance.bumble bees are differant in that respect..she sleeps solo..where as honeybees have entire colony to maintain through the necter derths and winter seasons.alott will depend on whats blooming.honeybees dont work all flowers that bloom..take purple clover as an example..honeybees most times cant reach the nector..probiscus isnt long enough..thoe a bumle bee will work it no problem.i wouldnt worry..its 30 mile gust and it snowed this morning here briefly...give em time..sending good vibes and balnce that way..im sure youll see em soon....as weather and food balance out.spring..
    PS..watching a hive cool off its home in august is something see...the thousands of little beehinds all pointing toward the entrance and thousands of vibrating wings pushing air into a hive box..bio..air temp control.amazing...
    Balnce
    Truth.
    William.
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 14th April 2014 at 15:50.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

37. The Following User Says Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Heartsong (28th April 2014)

38. Link to Post #240
    Thanks

Sun..Warmn Up.calm day atlast.Iowas april.sunny on one day and almost 70 and snowing and ice the next.still light on nector and pollen.may have to feed em to get through.if you decide to supplement then please DONT use sucrose.fruitcose..syrup..or even beet sugar.NO Corn sweetners...for sure..pure cane sugar..yes processed..white.sounds bad..but it is the least harmfull and the bees seem able to break it down better..there is some reserch out there suggesting corn syrup and its cousins shorten and even cause immune and cell breakdown at a faster rate.shortening the bees life.............um......any ways...as far as feeding goes..spring time demands thicker syrup because of brood rearing...thicker sugar water mix....2 cups cane sugar to 1 cup water..base this on how many hives needn fed as far as how much to make and this mixture must bee heated.It does take considerable more energy and time for the bees to extract the water...as is..you can also make a solid fondant or dry sugar..thoe ifn the hive needs food right away then it must bee liquefied..fondant..or solid sugars must then bee broke down by the bees themselves since it would take there moisture and even body fluids to bee able to make it into food.as is do some research as methods and advances change all the time.remember spring will dictate the hive health and if the colony isnt healthy then that pretty much decides there fate by fall.also..feedn excites them..induces robbing..so feed late in the day after flight activity is done.you can reduce the entrance too if you want.
    Balance
    truth.
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 18th April 2014 at 17:02.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 12 22 62 98 LastLast