+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 98 FirstFirst 1 9 19 59 98 LastLast

Thread: Calling all light warriors - the Bees need you!

1. Link to Post #161
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

Default Re: Calling all light warriors - the Bees need you!

Reposting a bee story (from May 2012)

Quote Posted by Anchor (here)
    About 5 weeks ago a dead tree near our house finally fell down. That tree was hollow in the top third of the main trunk and some feral honey bees lived there. I think they knew the tree was going down and evacuated some time before.

Trouble is they were a bit late, they collected on a tree in our house paddock while the scouts went out to find a new home.

They were there for the weekend - and it did not look good, I had noticed them when doing the last round of mowing of the year and it was pretty cold. They swarm round the queen to keep her warm but they are living on reserves at that point so they have to find a new home really fast usually one or two days - if they fail, the hive dies.

I looked it up and realized it was very late for the time of year as its getting cold - no bee keeper would have been interested.

They had been there two days before we left for Sydney.

Mrs A decided to intervene and petition the universe to ensure they got a new home - using all the techniques I have talked about before for envisioning and manifestation.

So, we went home and the next weekend the bee swarm was gone. Secretly I thought that they could not have made it, but there was an outside chance as there were some good hollow trees in the gully about 250m west of where they had gathered.

Anyway this weekend, about 6 weeks on, in our garden there are some Grevillia still flowering - all week we had noticed that they were surrounded by bees and there were bees all over it and anything else that looked like it had a flower - we wondered if they were the same ones. Finally, Mrs A was out gardening and suddenly a small stream of bees came over to her, each one came about 4cm from her shoulder and then flew off again.

After about the fourth one she's internally questioning "WTF, do they think I am a flower?", and then she told me she instantly heard a voice (in her voice) saying "They are saying thank you!".

So there you go...

Life is good.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

fourty-two (19th October 2013), Gardener (11th October 2013), Lifebringer (14th October 2013), mischief (11th October 2013), northstar (18th October 2013), penn (22nd October 2013), silverfish (11th October 2013), ThePythonicCow (11th October 2013), william r sanford72 (11th October 2013)

3. Link to Post #162
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,586 times in 2,838 posts

I like the joke on the bumble-bee;
    His wings are too small to hold him
    He really cant fly..professors agree-
    But nobody ever told him.
    hope you enjoyed that very old little poem.Balance into flow.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

mischief (11th October 2013), northstar (18th October 2013)

5. Link to Post #163
    Thanks

Humans and honeybees.
    The ancient Egyptians used the honeyBee as food.kept them in there gardens.they were so important that they even used them on hieroglyphs to show kings..of upper and lower egypt.15th century B.C..THUTMOSIS..is an easy to find example.
    more than 300 years before christ the greeks of Epheus used the honeybee on there coins...and if i had a computer..this is where i would post examples..as is...take a look at the honeybee and humans..how they helped.what role they played in our evolution.

Give me a day
    That is Balmy and shimmering
    Give me a field
    Where the clover blooms sway
    O let me linger
    Where nectar is Gathering
    Deep in the blossoms of flowering May.
    Give Me a shelter
    Where sunlight is filtering
    Tempering music
    Of humming and whirr
    Then I will gather
    A treasure so glistening
    Fragrant as incense and precious as myrrrh.
    .-Florence Holt Davison
    P.S...
    My grandfather always said that living is like licking honey off a thorn.
    -Louis Adamic
    as always..Balance into flow.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

mischief (14th October 2013), northstar (18th October 2013)

7. Link to Post #164
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

I've seen some, but they are much smaller, and I fear, perhaps a stunted growth from the chemicals has occurred. Damn Monsanto and their profit driven world of ignorance and greed.

I've got some wood boxes, but they seem to want to stay in my hubby's recycling shed along the tin walls with no insulation. Won't they get cold in the winter?

I know I'm gonna put some wood and sealant perhaps candle wax around the boxes and inside lining? I hope they take the hint. It's hibernations time but they are still coming for the little string bean and snow peas flowers. Some place they'll feel safe, hmmm...this popular tree that leans over my fence could possibly be a temp home for the winter with a few careful boards placed in the right cubby hole. I'll have to do it before this weekend, looks like the weather will get colder, but I've seen a lot of "hornet holes" big ones all over the yard, which has a vast root system that crosses the yards and I have lots of leaves in between the bushes at the bottom. I hope I can do something to save them for next year. I'm about to plant a few indoor plants now. Just leafy, because greens, and stuff don't flower until the end of their season. So plenty of leaves, as long as there is sunshine and water and good soil.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

mischief (14th October 2013), northstar (18th October 2013), william r sanford72 (14th October 2013)

9. Link to Post #165
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

They love clover of every kind and little spring flowers. Clover grows all year if the seasons don't turn too cold during winter, but they grow all over and I like the taste of clover(lemony) I keep it in my herb boxes so when they come for the flowers of clover, they can dust my plants weaving in and out.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

northstar (18th October 2013), william r sanford72 (14th October 2013)

11. Link to Post #166
    New Zealand Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hi Lifebringer,
    I have been studying some of the different methods of keeping bees and in particular, taking note of the changes people have been making in hive structures.

I started looking at the Top Bar system, which led me to the Warre hive.
    This method of managing hives seems to be the one that most closely mimics how bees would work when left alone.The problem for me is that it requires lifting heavy boxes, so if I am going to use this system, I need to find a solution to that before I start with my own bees- have a whole year to figure something out.

Here are some sites I found so far.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm
    http://milkwood.net/2012/10/20/its-t...to-build-comb/

I found this video someone made of an experiment they did with letting bees form a hive in a purposely built 'hollowed out tree'. This sort of thing isnt legal to use as a hive in New Zealand, but shows how bees work when allowed to just do their thing. I found it absolutely fascinating.
    http://milkwood.net/2013/07/17/drawi...eo/#more-13649

If the bees arent wanting to stay in the hive you have made for them, then it might be that something about it doesnt suit them. If they are just going out foraging, that would be different. They might not have enough food yet.
    (I'm a complete newbie at beekeeping, so please take what I say with a very large pinch of salt).

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mischief For This Post:

northstar (18th October 2013), william r sanford72 (16th October 2013)

13. Link to Post #167
    Thanks

Well.top bar hives are pretty good.had a few.still might have em in storage.OK..before beekeeping i went through 2 major back surgerys.1 to remove a tumor in my spine and the other to repair years of damage and early childhood injurys i made worse with my life style.after the last operations i was told by the doc that i would never pick up anything above 50 pounds again or i risked worse damage.screw that..thats all i said after thank you for helping me walk again.so i set out to prove em wrong.It can be done with little effort..and streangth.if your willing to take your time.there will be times of some heavy lifting.moving around a hive body full of bees and brood..honey pollen and the like requires some lifting..around 120 pounds if its full..a full honey supper with capped honey weighs about 60 65 pounds...not sure what pounds eq out to in new zealand.but..top bars are bit simpler.im 100 pounds..5 foot 3 inchs..if i can do it..anyone can.dont worry.youll work it out.also..go see if you can work some bees..see what its like.and keep hanging out with other beekeepers.find a blog.or group.etc.your already well on your way mischief.you will make a fine bee protector.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

mischief (15th October 2013), northstar (18th October 2013)

15. Link to Post #168
    Thanks

Lifebringer.what kinda bees??and what kinda hives do you have??you shouldnt have to seal a thing if its honey bees.proplis and wax does that for em.do you keep honeybees??dont worry about size.my honey bees come in differant sizes and colors.from the standard gold and black to almost black.the russian queens i orderd so many years ago..were not pretty and were smalller than my honeybees..but the queen..man once they mated with the drones..she swelled up into a golden wonderful looking queen.and lived almost 4 years pumping out 2000 eggs day.until she died..one of my own Queen lines was bred off one of them russians.and there line still flys around the farm.also let many swarms go from them hives. Always.. Balance into Flow.
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 15th October 2013 at 15:20.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Conchis (15th October 2013), northstar (18th October 2013)

17. Link to Post #169
    Thanks

the Bees look good.strong.healthy and ready ffor winter.the honey load seems a bit shy on the ones i have stashed away from here but on average..they only need a supper full.with pollen to get through average winter here.but 2 supers of honey and pollen ensure spring food to help with brood rearing and hive increase so they have enough bees built up ready for the first full spring flow.early spring can bee a deciding factor for the bees.and often this is when they starve.this is where the keeper comes in.supplementing is not good but sometimes a must if your robbing em of there surpluss honey or the fall foraging falls short and they go into winter light.its not a honeybee friendly world anymore.bees starve all the time...as always..balance into flow.
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 17th October 2013 at 15:53. Reason: still cant spell.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

18. The Following User Says Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

northstar (18th October 2013)

19. Link to Post #170
    Thanks

i feel strange beeing the only one posting...so many times in a row.i will say sorry now.cause im not going to stop.truth always.william..
    TRUTH and BALANCE

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

fourty-two (19th October 2013), mischief (18th October 2013), northstar (18th October 2013), Swan (17th October 2013)

21. Link to Post #171
    Thanks

I have been studying the bees that have been coming into our yard. So far they are still on the mustard flowers, but have started visiting the Hebe and the NZ wineberry tree.( unfortunately only one tree so far, so no berries for me).
    I'm sure I spotted 3 different types? races? of bee and those I managed to get close enough to, did not appear to have any mites on them.
    Next week, I get to pick up some cuttings of a recommended bee plant to put in around our boundary line.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mischief For This Post:

northstar (18th October 2013), william r sanford72 (18th October 2013)

23. Link to Post #172
    Thanks

Wild Mustard.such a tough and pretty flower.there yellow here and come up every other year or so.they survive it all.thanks mischief.also.looking for mites already.trying to spot a red dot..on a moving bee.shoot.already beekeeping and no hives..lol.On a side note.sad truth.if you can see the mite on a foraging bee.the hive is at critical mass..as in to many mites..hive crash would bee certain unless drastic measure were taken and the mite load was atleast knocked backed down.now your getting into a whole nother area of disscusion.and treating bees with a pesticide...well heres how i like to put it.to give it perspective...they try to create a pestacide to kill a bug on a bug??..logic??..please.truth always.william
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 18th October 2013 at 16:15.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

24. The Following User Says Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

northstar (18th October 2013)

25. Link to Post #173
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 times in 466 posts

I am loving this thread! This is what is looks like when loving work is given to bees by conscious souls. It is really uplifting to read all the posts!!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northstar For This Post:

mischief (20th October 2013), william r sanford72 (18th October 2013)

27. Link to Post #174
    Thanks

Hope you enjoy...

Botany Bees
    Full many tomato plant
    Would never blush nor bear
    without the bee to gallivant
    and shift some pollen there.

She travels in the honey line
    But sets the vines aglow
    Which shows the finest things we do
    are NOT the things we know.

I do not care for honey much
    and yet i prize the bee
    The fair tomatoes that i love
    She makes them blush for me.
    -Chicago Daily News.

Balance into Flow...
    TRUTH and BALANCE

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

mischief (20th October 2013), northstar (21st October 2013), thunder24 (19th October 2013)

29. Link to Post #175
    Thanks

this one makes me chuckle a bit.

'If skies remain clear.the air warm and pollen and nectar abound in the
    flowers, the workers, through a kind of forgetful indulgence,or over-scrupulous prudence,
    perhaps, will for a short time longer endure
    the importunate, disastrous presence of the males.

-Maurice Maeterlinck

Balance into Flow..
    TRUTH and BALANCE

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

mischief (20th October 2013), northstar (21st October 2013)

31. Link to Post #176
    Thanks

Not wild mustard William. I specifically plant this each year for a couple of reasons. 1 to follow my summer plantings of potatoes after I was told by an old timer that he grew his spuds in the same place every year only because he had 'sterilised' the soil with mustard over winter and 2 cos it flowers quite early, so its good for bees.
    When you have a reasonably large plot of them, they smell lovely too.
    I dont actually plant the spuds in the same area, they just seem to keep popping up there, so I leave them alone.
    I did another plot of mustard this last winter where I grew the tomatoes because I heard that they also like to grow where they grew before- yet another experiment in the garden, we'll see how they do this year.
    With the differences in shade between the two areas, the tomato lot come up and flower first then the potatoes mustard, giving the bees continuity of flowers.

I have discovered with my Borage sowings, that heavily mulching in autumn meant that alot of the sprinkled seeds did not sprout from under this, so this plot was alittle sparse this year.I'll be more careful with the mulch this year.

In my search for suitable native plantings, I have discovered a source of Koromiko/Hebe that grows 4 metres/12 feet high with stunningly beautiful flowers. I'm trying to talk a friend into planting some too and for us to buy this together so we can take advantage of a bulk purchase discount. This is from Southern Woods nursery, in the South Island.

I have space along the driveway side of the house(north wall/sunside of the house), between the windows where these would fit perfectly. There is one small type of this already along here which is smothered in flowers and bees.
    I'm thinking of having the larger ones between the windows and the smaller, under them, with perhaps something like a carpetting thyme to act as a ground cover so I dont have to spend time weeding this part too much and yes, more bulk flowers for my friends!

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mischief For This Post:

northstar (21st October 2013), penn (22nd October 2013), william r sanford72 (21st October 2013)

33. Link to Post #177
    Thanks

now im all ears.planting mustard.to help clean the soil.Very COOL.and the bees love it.and its hardy.my bees work the road side ditches.lots of there food and pollen come from the un mowed and so called neglected ditches.i gatherd up all the used tires i could one year and spray painted em with the message DONT MOW!!..HONEYBEES AT WORK!about 15 tires.and proceeded to sling them along fence post along the gravel roads that are all around this rual part of iowa.some are still there.and the flower or plant you mentioned..Koromiko??..12 foot high..4 meters..very curious.planting mustard..it never occured to me.thank you mischief.also the image you present of your home you and others here have inspired me to try again.At one Time i was so very close to giving UP...as always..truth and Balance into Flow...
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 21st October 2013 at 14:42.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

northstar (21st October 2013), penn (22nd October 2013)

35. Link to Post #178
    Thanks

I found this in some notes in my journal.can nott recall who wrote it.bit serious but believe its found its home now.

Pollen,being the male
    fertilizing seed of flowering plants and
    a Concentrated source of genetic material,
    brings with it the greatest potential for GMO contamination within the Hive...
    Due to their efficiency as Pollinators, the UNsuspecting bees play a major role in the spread of genetically engineered Material.

truth always.balance into flow..
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 23rd October 2013 at 15:57.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

36. The Following User Says Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

northstar (10th November 2013)

37. Link to Post #179
    Thanks

Hows about a bit of the Bard today..??

Make boot upon Summers Velvet buds,
    Which pillage they with merry march brings home
    To the tent royal of their emperor:
    Who, busied in his majesty, surveys
    The singing masons, building roofs of gold.

-William Shakespeare.
    Truth Always.Balance into Flow.
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 25th October 2013 at 15:39.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

38. The Following User Says Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

39. Link to Post #180
    Thanks

Well its good by drones.all seems well in the Hives and most of the drones are gone.falls set in and preparing for winters approach.the woodstove is going and im already looking forward to spring.truth always..Balance into Flow.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

40. The Following User Says Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 98 FirstFirst 1 9 19 59 98 LastLast