+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is East TN, Virginia, Carolinas’, Appalachia Your Neck of the Woods?

1. Link to Post #21
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

Default Re: Is East TN, Virginia, Carolinas’, Appalachia Your Neck of the Woods?

do you realize what a mix created us er um "mountain folk"....lol..... all mixes accepted, and required....

Quote Posted by doodah (here)
    Er, um, ah ... are we required to be hillbillies in order to attend? I come from 7 generations of North Carolina farmers and 1 generation of Italian immigrants, not exactly your traditional hillbilly mix. However, I am totally Earth-centered and would consider that my strongest link to all those here. Will that do? I'll bring some drums.

Also, if y'all are going to do the shine, I'm going to smoke. I smoke tobacco. I just want to say that up front in case somebody has some severe prohibitions against it.

A meeting after October sounds good to me, and I think the guy I know in NC might also be free by then. October ... if the world hasn't imploded by then, after all the hair-raising info that's making the rounds. Please, everyone, do some heavy-duty work for calm in the world!
    Im a first generation hillbilly...lol
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

doodah (28th August 2013), Fred Steeves (27th August 2013), heretogrow (27th August 2013)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member heretogrow's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,981 times in 498 posts

Default Re: Is East TN, Virginia, Carolinas’, Appalachia Your Neck of the Woods?

I just checked with google maps and I am 378 miles away from Bristol. I am an hour east of Morgantown. Boo Hiss. Oh well if there is a will there is a way. And Doodah if you are smoking then I am too!

4. Link to Post #23
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,265 times in 2,136 posts

I am near Lovingston, VA:
    • 32 miles NE of Lynchburg, VA.
    • 234 miles NE of Bristol, VA.
    There are several reasons that discourage the old man from traveling. But it would be fun.

Hard to find like minds locally who are interested in discussing such a variety of Avalonian topics.

I can tolerate outdoor smoke if I am upwind. I rarely drink alcohol. Don't even like beer. (Past life experience as an alcoholic I've been told.)

It feels so good to say that Nelson County has only one stoplight! That is getting close to being genuine "redneck".
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 27th August 2013 at 21:59.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Fred Steeves (27th August 2013)

6. Link to Post #24
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

Quote Posted by heretogrow (here)
    And Doodah if you are smoking then I am too!
    Well I just quit (again) yesterday, but regardless I'm always a succor for hanging out in the smoking area.

7. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 times in 747 posts

Hey Fred, don't feel pressured... if you non-smokers can be cool with the smokers, the smokers will be very courteous.

Heretogrow, rmauersr ... how about the idea of a caravan? Heretogrow, if you can get to rmauersr; and then get to me, we can carpool together in stages. It would require some good coordination, but it might be possible and it would make the trip more fun.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doodah For This Post:

Fred Steeves (28th August 2013), heretogrow (29th August 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (28th August 2013)

9. Link to Post #26
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,265 times in 2,136 posts

Hey Fred, don't feel pressured... if you non-smokers can be cool with the smokers, the smokers will be very courteous.

Heretogrow, rmauersr ... how about the idea of a caravan? Heretogrow, if you can get to rmauersr; and then get to me, we can carpool together in stages. It would require some good coordination, but it might be possible and it would make the trip more fun.
    I would not want to commit to a road trip. My big dogs and dislike of travel put a damper on going far for long.

But I do want to be kept in the loop.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

doodah (28th August 2013), Fred Steeves (28th August 2013), heretogrow (29th August 2013)

11. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Hello to all,
    It is with a heavy heart I am going to have to pass on this adventurous meeting up. It would have been wonderful to meet you and I am feeling very much at a loss because I won't be able to do this in October. My Grandma has cancer and although I have suggested alternative treatment methods she has decided to take radiation and chemo 5 days a week for 5 weeks consecutively beginning at the end of September. I have offered to take her to her treatments. She is 90 and I am not sure how bad this is going to be for her.
    She is a sweetheart, full or vim and vigor, doesn't even where depends yet, and she is so proud she won't let anyone help her. I am humbled that she chose me to be her companion down this harrowing path.

SO promise me, after you meet up you will all let me know how it goes. And then we will get on this early next summer and make arrangements to meet up then so that I can finally be with friends of a feather. Doodah if at all possible in the summer we will carpool! That sounds great!

I love you all and have a ball without me. ANd remember the "shine" can set your toes on fire so tread gently my friends!

Much Love,
    Julia

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heretogrow For This Post:

Fred Steeves (29th August 2013), thunder24 (29th August 2013)

13. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Wow, Julia/heretogrow ... your grandmother sure sounds like she's got the hillbilly spirit, that fierce independence I know a lot about because I've got it, too, from my mother's people (who wouldn't call themselves hillbillies, but it's the same idea).

You have an important assignment now. I can understand how you would feel humbled to accompany her on this leg of her journey. I'm sure all of us here send blessings to you and her, for the highest good!

Blufire must be busy canning and preserving and writing up what she sees coming down the pike, per Bill's request. When she gets back to this thread, maybe we'll be able to make a definite plan about when and where. If it's possible to carpool at some point, I'd love that. I really hate traveling alone!

Be well, take care, and best thoughts for a positive outcome for your grandmother,

Doodah in the Woods

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doodah For This Post:

Fred Steeves (29th August 2013), heretogrow (30th August 2013)

15. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

Thanks Doodah! We will try to get together and carpool next summer for sure!

PS- My grandma is feisty and full of spunk but she would never admit to being from hillbilly stock! LOL! She had an outhouse up until I was in seventh grade that she called the Suzy, because she didn't want any one to know she had a outdoor John!!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heretogrow For This Post:

doodah (30th August 2013), Fred Steeves (30th August 2013)

17. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

Very funny! I'm from 7 generations of North Carolina farmers... up until electricity. My grandfather refused to electrify the old farmhouse or put in modern plumbing. When he died none of his 7 children wanted to be farmers anymore. I am currently the only organic gardener in what's left of the extended family. So sad!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doodah For This Post:

Fred Steeves (30th August 2013), heretogrow (4th September 2013), thunder24 (3rd September 2013)

19. Link to Post #31
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

bluefire you still canning, and drying and freezing...... bumping???
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

Fred Steeves (4th September 2013), heretogrow (4th September 2013)

21. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,079 times in 653 posts

Quote Posted by rmauersr (here)
    I am near Lovingston, VA:
    • 32 miles NE of Lynchburg, VA.
    • 234 miles NE of Bristol, VA.
    There are several reasons that discourage the old man from traveling. But it would be fun.

Hard to find like minds locally who are interested in discussing such a variety of Avalonian topics.

I can tolerate outdoor smoke if I am upwind. I rarely drink alcohol. Don't even like beer. (Past life experience as an alcoholic I've been told.)

It feels so good to say that Nelson County has only one stoplight! That is getting close to being genuine "redneck".
    Sounds like it's getting crowded up there, bubba. I prefer to buy my cuppa joe where I buy my worms, and get my hair done at Wanda's Hair Salon and Oil Lube and Change. I could get all of the above in the city at Wal-Mart but Wanda's stories are so much better than what I hear at Wally's.
    Last edited by sygh; 3rd September 2013 at 03:03.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sygh For This Post:

heretogrow (4th September 2013)

23. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,079 times in 653 posts

Wow, Julia/heretogrow ... your grandmother sure sounds like she's got the hillbilly spirit, that fierce independence I know a lot about because I've got it, too, from my mother's people (who wouldn't call themselves hillbillies, but it's the same idea).

You have an important assignment now. I can understand how you would feel humbled to accompany her on this leg of her journey. I'm sure all of us here send blessings to you and her, for the highest good!

Blufire must be busy canning and preserving and writing up what she sees coming down the pike, per Bill's request. When she gets back to this thread, maybe we'll be able to make a definite plan about when and where. If it's possible to carpool at some point, I'd love that. I really hate traveling alone!

Be well, take care, and best thoughts for a positive outcome for your grandmother,

Doodah in the Woods
    Just remember, if you doo in dah woods, bury it deep.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to sygh For This Post:

heretogrow (4th September 2013)

25. Link to Post #34
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Ya'll are funny! I am from Mayberry, NC

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sherron44 For This Post:

Fred Steeves (4th September 2013), heretogrow (4th September 2013), thunder24 (4th September 2013)

27. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

Has anyone been in touch with blufire? She seems to have disappeared into the wild!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to heretogrow For This Post:

Fred Steeves (4th September 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2