+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is East TN, Virginia, Carolinas’, Appalachia Your Neck of the Woods?

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,709 times in 1,042 posts

Default Is East TN, Virginia, Carolinas’, Appalachia Your Neck of the Woods?

I realized today that Fred Steeves and I are about 1.5 hours from each other, if we were to meet at a halfway point. Halfway between us would be Bristol TN/VA or Johnson City, TN.

I have not proposed this idea to him yet, but thought what the heck . . . . let’s see just how many Avalon members are in this area and if they would like to meet up?

I have thought about this many times since moving back to Virginia. Actually I hosted several gatherings of ‘Ground Crew’ members on my Kansas farm several years ago.

I think considering what is just around the corner, knowing just where your best allies are would be a highly valuable asset. Not to mention just having a really great time!

I’ll bring the ‘shine . . . .been saving the good stuff for such an occasion.

Anybody else interested?

2. Link to Post #2
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

Default Re: Is East TN, Virginia, Carolinas’, Appalachia Your Neck of the Woods?

i live an hour from J.C. and 45 from bristol ( bristol baby...wwwwwwwwwwoooooooo), and i know there are some in north carolina might b interested...
    i need that recipe...
    peace
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

blufire (26th August 2013), Eram (27th August 2013), Fred Steeves (26th August 2013), heretogrow (27th August 2013)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,397 times in 32,916 posts

Default Re: Is East TN, Virginia, Carolinas’, Appalachia Your Neck of the Woods?

Quote Posted by blufire (here)

I think considering what is just around the corner
    What's 'just around the corner', as best you know, believe, suspect or understand?

This is an honest-to-god, straight-as-an-arrow question. I would love to know what you think may be ahead.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

blufire (26th August 2013), Eram (27th August 2013), heretogrow (27th August 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (27th August 2013)

6. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,405 times in 1,922 posts

I realized today that Fred Steeves and I are about 1.5 hours from each other, if we were to meet at a halfway point. Halfway between us would be Bristol TN/VA or Johnson City, TN.

I have not proposed this idea to him yet, but thought what the heck . . . . let’s see just how many Avalon members are in this area and if they would like to meet up?

I have thought about this many times since moving back to Virginia. Actually I hosted several gatherings of ‘Ground Crew’ members on my Kansas farm several years ago.

I think considering what is just around the corner, knowing just where your best allies are would be a highly valuable asset. Not to mention just having a really great time!

Anybody else interested?
    I thought he lived somewhere in FL.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camilo For This Post:

Eram (27th August 2013), heretogrow (27th August 2013)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

we have a lot of floridiots move up here....mom and dad were a couple.....

Quote Posted by Camilo (here)

Anybody else interested?
    I thought he lived somewhere in FL.
    Last edited by thunder24; 26th August 2013 at 23:13.
    The Good things in life

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

Eram (27th August 2013), Fred Steeves (27th August 2013), heretogrow (27th August 2013)

10. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 times in 689 posts

Fred moved about 6 months ago from FL to TN, not sure if concerns about the predicted global coastal event were a factor or not.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snookie For This Post:

blufire (26th August 2013), Camilo (27th August 2013), Eram (27th August 2013), Fred Steeves (27th August 2013), heretogrow (27th August 2013)

12. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

What's 'just around the corner', as best you know, believe, suspect or understand?

This is an honest-to-god, straight-as-an-arrow question. I would love to know what you think may be ahead.
    Bill and All,

Your question is a highly important and urgent one.

So important that I feel strongly I need to give it appropriate time and lengthy answer. I actually have voiced my views and they are spread in various threads, but I feel a localized thread would be more prudent.

I spent way too much time on the forum Saturday and am currently way behind in several things in living a self sustained lifestyle. I will be up into the morning hours canning and freezing vegetables and fruit.

I will try to start a thread tomorrow and begin fleshing out what I now see our future to be.

13. Link to Post #8
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Also too. . . . .

In my inquiring about other Avalon members in the area and even those not so near.

I actually will consider after meeting and visiting other Avalon members, several times in public places, opening my home here in the hills to those serious about what our future holds and alternatives in ‘truly living’.

It’s time to join together and love and support one another.

14. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,355 times in 491 posts

Sounds great, Bluefire. I am about 2 hours East of Asheville so not sure how that is from you but I would be interested in nice East Tennessee ho-down. You bring the shine and I'll bring the banjo!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kano For This Post:

Eram (27th August 2013), Fred Steeves (27th August 2013), heretogrow (27th August 2013)

16. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Kano (here)
    Sounds great, Bluefire. I am about 2 hours East of Asheville so not sure how that is from you but I would be interested in nice East Tennessee ho-down. You bring the shine and I'll bring the banjo!

if you go to ashville and hit 26, your about 3 hours from j.c. or i should say if you go through ashville from where you are it will b about 3 hours.
    Last edited by thunder24; 27th August 2013 at 02:10.
    The Good things in life

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

Eram (27th August 2013), heretogrow (27th August 2013), Kano (27th August 2013)

18. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member AlaBil's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 times in 186 posts

Bill and All,

Your question is a highly important and urgent one.

So important that I feel strongly I need to give it appropriate time and lengthy answer. I actually have voiced my views and they are spread in various threads, but I feel a localized thread would be more prudent.

I spent way too much time on the forum Saturday and am currently way behind in several things in living a self sustained lifestyle. I will be up into the morning hours canning and freezing vegetables and fruit.

I will try to start a thread tomorrow and begin fleshing out what I now see our future to be.
    blufire... I will be looking forward to your thread. I appreciate everyone's opinion and information about what's around the corner. I can feel it closer day by day. Thanks for the coming effort.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlaBil For This Post:

20. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 times in 1,408 posts

Quote we have a lot of floridiots move up here....mom and dad were a couple.....

HEY I resemble tht remark!! hehe

Wish I lived closer!
    We X Billions want to change the world and it appears we are......
    PARADISE IS POSSIBLE EVERYWHERE 4 EVERYONE

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CD7 For This Post:

Eram (27th August 2013), Fred Steeves (27th August 2013), heretogrow (27th August 2013), thunder24 (27th August 2013)

22. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Well don't git yer panties in a wad fer Fred... I live just south of Knoxville and only 15 minutes from him...suggested we meet up sometime...and that was 2 months ago....Not real sure he would drive a while to meet...maybe , dunno....sure didn't happen in my instance.,maybe y'all have better luck.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gittarpikk For This Post:

24. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Hi Bill, I've been gleaning info from many good sources for many years, thought that things were really moving last year about this time....but am seeing so much info of late , its more like on an exponential curve IMO, multiples of hundred of times more info than just a year ago. Everything I am seeing is pointing to Sept 1st to Oct 1st. I don't think we have long to wait til we all know.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gittarpikk For This Post:

26. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 times in 747 posts

Blufire, I'm not sure exactly where you are, but I think I'd be east of you. I'm in Virginia, between Roanoke and Blacksburg. I also know of a past-Avalonian down in NC near Marshall. He might be interested if he can get away. Last I heard he was helping build a house that was way behind schedule because they had so much rain early in the summer.

I'd like to suggest that we meet in some public place that does not have diesel fumes, if possible.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doodah For This Post:

28. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member heretogrow's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,981 times in 498 posts

Blufire, I am in western Maryland. If you follow the Appalachian mountain range up you will find me just bordering Allegany and Garrett county. People make fun of us here and Maryland really doesn't even consider us part of the state. To them we are true hillbillies, but I can attest that many good people live here. We are very self-sufficient although I can't claim to have mastered sustainable living. I have really tried tho in the past few years. I would love to meet up but just in case the SHTF could you enlighten us here about the facts concerning what you think will happen. I need to know how to prepare to help as many as I can. Around here it is not just about us, it is about neighbors. That means a lot more persuading and preparing. I can't name one family that I would not want to help survive.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heretogrow For This Post:

Camilo (27th August 2013), Eram (27th August 2013), Fred Steeves (27th August 2013)

30. Link to Post #17
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

Well well bluefire, aren't you just full of surprises, great idea! I've only met four other Avalonians face to face, and would be pleased as punch to be a part of a get together. Hillbilly style! (LOL) Been working on old Uncle Thunder to do just that, but we've both been pretty busy working on our new houses.

We're officially moving into our new place out in the boonies Oct. 1st, so absolutely *no* free time til then. After that things should open up a bit, just a matter of finding a good time and place for everyone huh?

Outstanding! I'm just about out of the jar of good ole Tennessee shine I was able to score a ways back. Sounds like a winner!

I actually will consider after meeting and visiting other Avalon members, several times in public places, opening my home here in the hills to those serious about what our future holds and alternatives in ‘truly living’.
    We'd be more than happy to take you up on that as well, as it's our goal to learn to be as self sufficient as possible. For instance we'll be trying our hand at gardening come next spring, then canning, etc...This stuff is a LOT to learn, basically a whole new education. A very valuable education at that.

Quote Posted by Kano (here)
    Excellent Kano, would love to meet you too. Do you promise to do the "Deliverance" number fer us!

Quote Posted by gittarpikk (here)
    Well don't git yer panties in a wad fer Fred... I live just south of Knoxville and only 15 minutes from him...suggested we meet up sometime...and that was 2 months ago....Not real sure he would drive a while to meet...maybe , dunno....sure didn't happen in my instance.,maybe y'all have better luck.
    Hey, are you picking on me? (LOL) Seriously though, I think we just had us a little "failure to communicate". Of course I'd love to meet up, I'll pm you.

Quote Posted by doodah (here)
    I'm in Virginia, between Roanoke and Blacksburg. I also know of a past-Avalonian down in NC near Marshall. He might be interested if he can get away.
    Doodah's in too, alright! I didn't know you were that close. rmauersr lives in Virginia as well, about 5 hours from us. I'll pm him about this thread.

Quote Posted by heretogrow (here)
    I would love to meet up
    So you're in then? Funny, I never thought of *any* part of Maryland as hillbilly.

Quote Posted by CD7 (here)
    Quote we have a lot of floridiots move up here....mom and dad were a couple.....
    HEY I resemble tht remark!! hehe

Wish I lived closer!
    Get out Christine, escape...(LOL)

Quote Posted by Snookie (here)
    Fred moved about 6 months ago from FL to TN, not sure if concerns about the predicted global coastal event were a factor or not.
    No Snookie, nothing like that. I don't light my hair on fire over predictions any more. It was more a combination of disturbing trends great and small, and a need to return to some old fashioned living with the Earth.
    Last edited by Fred Steeves; 27th August 2013 at 11:28.

31. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member heretogrow's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,981 times in 498 posts

Yes Fred, I am in and would love to meet up. We are true Hillbillies up here. We are nestled in between three mountains. Dan's, Savage, and Jackson mountains where I live. From down state you have to travel through a manmade cut in the mountain range called Sideling Hill. Maryland likes to pretend we are part of West Virginia and they don't really claim us, which suits me just fine! There is a cave, the largest in Garret county, where my ancestors made their "shine". The state came and removed his homemade ladder from this cave and put a fence around it so no one can enter now.

I have a funny story my grandmother used to tell about her aunt who lived on that property.

When my grandmother was a young girl, "Pop", her father, got a model T Ford and they road out for him to get some shine. Her aunt was sitting on the front porch in her rocker when they got out and walked onto the porch. Not too long after, the aunty's dress and apron caught on fire. Here she thought it was the preacher coming to get some shine as he was the only one she knew of that had a car so she hurried and stuck her pipe under her dress!

PS- We prefer to use the more refined term...redneck! LOL
    Last edited by heretogrow; 27th August 2013 at 14:06.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heretogrow For This Post:

Fred Steeves (27th August 2013), learninglight (27th August 2013), thunder24 (27th August 2013)

33. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member Amysenthia's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 times in 372 posts

Hi Bluefire,

I live in Ohio only about 45 from West Virginia border. I visit a brother that lives in North Carolina and have driven through Bristol/JC many times. It takes about 8 hours to get there. However, maybe we can meet if you ever want to drive North. I would be happy to meet up with everyone either way.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amysenthia For This Post:

Fred Steeves (27th August 2013), heretogrow (27th August 2013)

35. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 times in 747 posts

Er, um, ah ... are we required to be hillbillies in order to attend? I come from 7 generations of North Carolina farmers and 1 generation of Italian immigrants, not exactly your traditional hillbilly mix. However, I am totally Earth-centered and would consider that my strongest link to all those here. Will that do? I'll bring some drums.

Also, if y'all are going to do the shine, I'm going to smoke. I smoke tobacco. I just want to say that up front in case somebody has some severe prohibitions against it.

A meeting after October sounds good to me, and I think the guy I know in NC might also be free by then. October ... if the world hasn't imploded by then, after all the hair-raising info that's making the rounds. Please, everyone, do some heavy-duty work for calm in the world!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doodah For This Post:

Fred Steeves (27th August 2013), heretogrow (27th August 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast