+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 3 13

Thread: Does Our Treatment of Animals Affect How We Treat Each Other?

1. Link to Post #241
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,163 times in 1,390 posts

Default Re: Does Our Treatment of Animals Affect How We Treat Each Other?

Quote I cannot see how there can be any real and full recognition of Kinship as long as men continue either to cheat or to eat their fellow beings.

Henry Stephens Salt
    Gandhi read Salt's book, A Plea For Vegetarianism, when he was a student in London, sometime between 1888 and 1891 and was profoundly influenced by the book.

Quote It was Mr. Salt's book, A Plea for Vegetarianism, which showed me why, apart from my adherence to a vow administered to me by my mother, it was right to be a vegetarian. He showed me why it was a moral duty incumbent on vegetarians not to live upon fellow-animals.

Ghandi
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Desire (15th July 2015), Pam (15th July 2015), The Alley Cat (15th July 2015), Wind (15th July 2015)

3. Link to Post #242
    Thanks

Powsimian pretty much encapsulates the essence of the OP in the following short video (caution - occasional f-bombs):

Quote …..someone asked, almost as a rhetorical question at work, "man, when will people stop doing this?" (in response to the Chatanooga shooting - ed) and I said,"probably when we stop killing animals"……

…..it's not just a few individuals, it's this whole system that's built on hatred, contradiction and accepting your own hypocrisy, and basically, reverting that back, you say "it can't be wrong because I do it"…..Wrong! You can't have logic like that. That's not logic, that's psychosis…..

…..people don't wanna die - they see it as something to fear, and yet they welcome it for other species, you know? They brush it off, and the other thing is, it doesn't make them hungry. Death doesn't make them hungry. Death doesn't get people lickin' their chompers you know? People don't wanna see slaughterhouse footage to get them amped up to eat - that's not how it works for humans, however, the blood, all that - that's appetite stimulation for the meat-eating animal. Humans are vegan. Humans are herbivorous and to be more specific, frugivorous - we're apes, bathing apes, baby!
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Desire (21st July 2015), Pam (3rd August 2015)

5. Link to Post #243
    Australia Avalon Member Desrknelf's Avatar
    Thanks

Steve Richards, an Aboriginal healer here, says the laws governing the harvest of animals prevent negative effects from killing. A ceremony is carried out asking for food and designating a specific species to be hunted. No other animals are to be killed. The hunters will find either nothing, or an animal that is ready to move on from its body. When it is killed, its spirit will not hook in to the killers energy body as it has a right to do, because it doesn't want to.

As I understand it a practice like this in some form is universal among peoples from all over the country.

What are your thoughts on this concept? Do you know of any practices from other cultures that serve the same purpose?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desrknelf For This Post:

Akasha (21st July 2015), Selkie (21st July 2015)

7. Link to Post #244
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Desrknelf (here)
    Steve Richards, an Aboriginal healer here, says the laws governing the harvest of animals prevent negative effects from killing. A ceremony is carried out asking for food and designating a specific species to be hunted. No other animals are to be killed. The hunters will find either nothing, or an animal that is ready to move on from its body. When it is killed, its spirit will not hook in to the killers energy body as it has a right to do, because it doesn't want to.

As I understand it a practice like this in some form is universal among peoples from all over the country.

What are your thoughts on this concept? Do you know of any practices from other cultures that serve the same purpose?
    I'm not sure which laws Steve Richards is referring to but the phrase, "harvest of animals" is problematic straight away. We are animals too. If it's not ok to harvest us, why would it be ok to harvest them? Sounds like self-justifying, speciesist-based juju to me.

If the animal truly wanted to "move on from its body", wouldn't it just go to their encampment and present itself to them as a willing sacrifice? The fact that they have to hunt it suggests that, despite the healer's claims to the contrary, it is not actually in a consenting state at all, rather wanting to survive.

I'm not sure how this ties in with the OP. Can you elaborate on why you decided to share it on this thread. Have you read the OP?

Cheers.
    Last edited by Akasha; 21st July 2015 at 21:41.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Desire (21st July 2015), Pam (3rd August 2015), Robin (21st July 2015)

9. Link to Post #245
    Thanks

I just posted an article on the dwindling bull-fighting industry within Columbia on the All Things Vegan thread and I was particularly struck by a quote within the article which beautifully illustrates the essence of the OP for this thread:

Quote .....“I think there is a new generation that is tired of [all the violence in Colombia],” Jennifer Rivera, a young Colombian professional and admitted animal lover, told me. “The society needs to change, to transform. … This isn’t just a discussion about whether an animal dies or not. It has to do with [our society] turning life into a spectacle. … If we want our country to be without violence, then we have to start with the most minimal of things, and this begins with respecting all living beings.”.....

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Pam (3rd August 2015), Robin (3rd August 2015)

11. Link to Post #246
    Thanks

Quote ....as a society, the way we treat animals will be played out in the way we treat each other....

references: Slaughterhouses and Increased Crime Rates

The Slaughterhouses, social Disorganization, and Violent Crime in Rural Communities

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Pam (18th October 2016)

13. Link to Post #247
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Nothingness (here)
    This is only my thoughts:

How dense or how light we are in our consciousness affects the way we see things and how much of things we do see. We have to chose (because of free will) to want to be more conscious and work at it, so somehow we have to get to that point, or we do get to that point because evolvement is ongoing--and it is an individual choice, not the choice of someone else.

Basically, unless we are truly enlightened on this planet, and there are many who have had impressive lighted awakenings, but are/were still not totally enlightened, and therefore still even more susceptible to falling or loosing a great deal of ground if they aren't vigilant. But even the enlightened can fall below enlightenment (especially on Earth). It is always a persistent endeavor to stay on the path, to achieve even more levels of endless enlightenment and other journeys.

Animals and humans will be mistreated by people who are operating out of a first chakra mode. They are in some deep darkness, and some are not completely operating there, but have energy there that they fall into at times. In most cases they are blind because they don't have the consciousness to see very far. They don't even have consciousness of what they are doing, but this seems to be the way entities progress, and they do progress, however long it takes.

I think we all start at the bottom at one point or another, or have worked our way back there via issues and karma. It is said in some esoteric Hindu scriptures that we live 678,000 lives before we get to a life that we even hear about enlightenment. We can have other lives on other planets, too. It is also said given the current situation and how we handle it, the Earth may remain a planet with just animals, and there will be no further use of this planet for growth by other beings.

With 678,000 lives most of us have had all the experiences (played different archetypes and combinations of) and none of us is guilt-free. Carl Jungs' shadow work is a reflection of that in many ways--of laying claim to all shadows to achieve wholeness because we are both dark and light--and it is the dance of both dark and light that allows us to evolve.

None of us likes to admit we've been animal abusers, but in reality, we are composite of all that exists on this earth and beyond. There go we, but for the grace of God, or the Universe, or Whatever. We engender all things. To be whole we can't just love the animal, we also have to love the abuser to be whole--to encompass the totality and move beyond even that.

Everyone and everything is on a journey like everything else in eternity, and even animals can be saints and gain spiritual progression when they, like very evolved Buddhists who light themselves on fire (they actually don't feel it and it is more like a purification) for causes. Animals can gain or loss karma, too, and progress spiritually. I also think our wholeness and consciousness allows us to transcend the illusions of being in a body and progress to other existences. So, it is a part of Isness and wholeness. It's life playing out its wholeness.
    Good thought shared by you. Looking forward for weight loss tips.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 3 13