+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garden Revival

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,430 times in 818 posts

Default Garden Revival

Hi All,

I have recently been asked to return to my parents home with my wife and my Dad was quite the extensive "farmer" (as he called himself) before he moved away. Most of his garden has returned to weeds which is a different problem but there are fig trees, grapes and apples producing fruit. When I try to look at the yard, I have a hard time knowing what is weed and what is vegetable but that is also for another day.

Around the trees, I (well, the dog) found some vines growing under. Are these vines weeds or related to the trees, how do I know? In general, what is the best way for me to care for these trees?

2. Link to Post #2
    New Zealand Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Garden Revival

Hi risveglio,
    First off, I have to say...dont feel overwhelmed by 'it all'!

Start slowly, maybe, if you are unsure of what weeds look like or even what vegetable and other useful plant look like, go to the library and get afew books out that have pictures of these things.
    Using a book would be easier as you can take it outside and do an instant comparison whereas googling them is little more differcult.

I get quite excited for people when I hear that they finally get the opportunity to learn the joys and experiences only gardening can give.
    Please let us know how you get on.

Another thought I just had that you might find useful, is to join a gardening forum, maybe an organic or Permaculture one.
    Permies.org is a USA based one.
    I'm on the Australian one, cos its closer to home.

All the best for your new adventure!
    Trish

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mischief For This Post:

Gardener (4th September 2013), risveglio (3rd September 2013)

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Heartsong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 times in 498 posts

Your county government may have what's called an "Extension" service that could aid you with information and maybe one-on-one help. Our extension service is staffed by volunteer, specially trained "Master Gardeners" who out of love for growing things, consult with anyone about cultivation, soil testing, and any number of other garden or crop situations. My experience is that if they don't know something, they call the State agricultural college.

Their advantage is that they will know your area,weather and local resources. If Extension Office isn't staffed with volunteers, they may have pamphlets or booklets available.

Your county offices may be set up differently but most states have something like it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heartsong For This Post:

Ivanhoe (4th September 2013), risveglio (3rd September 2013)

6. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

No real idea, but, if the vines are growing up the trunk, and if there's brown leaves or visible trauma, then the vines gotta go.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

risveglio (4th September 2013)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

Hello risveglio,

There are "old school" concepts about growing, pruning, and protecting fruit and nut trees, and there are newer concepts, born from experience with plant failures from "following the book." I recommend that you get a copy of Sepp Holtzers new book, "Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening" Here's an Amazon link, so you can examine it and read reviews if you want: http://www.amazon.com/Sepp-Holzers-Permaculture-Small-Scale-Integrative/dp/160358370X

I had the pleasure of meeting this icon in the modern permaculture movement, and picked up a copy of this book. There is not much in the book specific to your fruit trees, but I feel like there is just enough. I wouldn't recommend this book unless I was pretty sure that it will be a valuable resource. Yes, there are many other subjects covered in the book relative to permaculture, and they may not apply, but his very unique perspective on fruit trees was a highlight for me in the book. He has many years of experience to back it up - it's not just theoretical, and his unique pathway started right after he got a certificate/diploma as an arborist and started following the old ways - to the death of some trees he was professionally paid to care for. It was a powerful wake-up call to reexamine the methods used by typical arborists.

Best of luck, R! You inherited a treasure by inheriting fruit trees.

Dennis

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

risveglio (4th September 2013), thunder24 (4th September 2013)

10. Link to Post #6
    Virgin Islands Avalon Member Selene's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,226 times in 1,108 posts

Hi, Resviglio ~

In addition to the superb advice already offered here, a couple of points:

• You don’t need to ‘fix’ this in a single season. Gardens are a long term project. Relax. Mother Nature has her own agenda; you are not responsible here. Time is on your side. Chill. You’ve got a beautiful space waiting to be restored and rejuvenated.

• Invest a full year – yes! – in simply looking and observing what is already growing here. Don’t “do” anything; don’t pull anything up, don’t plant anything new, don’t interfere. Just watch, observe, and learn. Wait. What are those little blossoms there? Where does the sun shine fully at dawn, noon, afternoon? Take notes. Observe.

• Notice what is already doing well; see what blooms even if feebly; identify these plants, shrubs, trees. Look them up online; get to know your garden. A lot of these will undoubtedly be overgrown by shade and in need of expert pruning to bring them back to what you might like.

• Most important observation: Where is the sunlight shining a) in the morning, b) at high noon, c) afternoon, d) last lingers?

• Second most important: (Or perhaps first?) Where is the sunlight in the spring, summer, fall, as the season turns? What part of your garden gets sun all day, or only in the morning, the afternoon, etc. And how might pruning a few big tree branches – or even removing an entire tree - change this?

• Think, analyse, before you spend money.

• If you are not an expert pruner (and you’re probably not, okay?) hire someone who is. Cheap investment. They will become your new best friend. [Alt: Some excellent books on pruning from Amazon or your local library…] But don’t chop arbitrarily. There’s a beautiful garden hiding in that undergrowth.

• After you have full understanding of your garden’s “bones”: those plants you’ve rescued and restored, you can begin to add your own ideas. And these will be well-informed and useful, by now.

• And you’ll have fun! You’ll become Mother Nature’s new best friend.

• A fave gardening website of mine is http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/

Cheers and much happy gardening.

Selene

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selene For This Post:

genevieve (4th September 2013), Ivanhoe (4th September 2013), risveglio (4th September 2013), Shannow (29th September 2013)

12. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,430 times in 818 posts

Thanks Dennis, I just ordered this book. Hopefully I can surprise the folks if and when they return.

Quote Posted by Selene (here)

• Invest a full year – yes! – in simply looking and observing what is already growing here. Don’t “do” anything; don’t pull anything up, don’t plant anything new, don’t interfere. Just watch, observe, and learn. Wait. What are those little blossoms there? Where does the sun shine fully at dawn, noon, afternoon? Take notes. Observe.
    Thanks Selene, I was trying this for two reasons. The first being that I was quite injured for about a month so really couldn't do any gardening and the second being your point above. Unfortunately, the man has warned me that I will be fined if I don't cut it all down. Odd, because it is right next to a wooded area and next to the house I am living in and my neighbors have not complained, oh well.

There are some very colorful things growing in there but I think most of it is weeds. Before I cut it down, I may take some pictures and post to see if I am wrong. It was a flourishing garden for over 30 years so who knows what could be still growing out there.

BTW, the figs were delicious.

+ Reply to Thread