+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The occult vs Esoteric teachings

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 times in 178 posts

Default The occult vs Esoteric teachings

I am going to start creating more and more threads as time goes on. I do a lot of writing at another forum I am a moderator at but I have been pretty silent here. I actually was a lurker for many years and only read before I decided to make an account but even after that I still didn't post much. I am being asked to lose my anonymity over the next year or so and before doing so there are some thing I want to write about here. I talk from direct experience, not from someone who has read a book. I have a feeling a lot of my experiences are universal for many people here and it is my hopes that these writings can help as a map to those that seem stuck or confused at times. I don't claim to be a teacher or someone with the answers at all but I have had some pretty amazing experiences that I do believe can help others, it is with this motive I share.

Today I wanted to talk about the difference between the Occult and Esoteric studies. I would like to point out, these definitions are of my own. You may not find the same meaning of these two words if you read about them somewhere else. But these words have always confused me as they mean relatively the same thing. The occult means "hidden" or secret. It is the secret teachings of the paranormal, rather than a material science that can be measured. Esoteric means "within" and describes a set of ideas/teachings that are preserved or understood by a small group of those specially initiated. Which for me for a long time, those two words meant the same thing. It just seemed like people were talking about and describing the same things, but using different words. I always knew the occult powers lied within, so isn't that a set of ideas/teachings that are preserved or understood by a small group of those specially initiated? But over the past 3 years or so I was shown the difference through experience. It was a long road of learning, studying and then being tested.

Quickly, I would just like to give a little background information. About 3 years ago I got heavy into the occult, it was just the direction my path brought me in. I was reading everything I could on the Golden Dawn, OTO, Crowley, Israel Regardie and so on. I am a shaman so I know magic is real, that was never needed to be proven to me. I was smart though, I knew this stuff was real so I would only let me self "learn" about it, it was never put into use. I wanted to make sure I understood everything I was doing before I started doing anything, this is a major mistake taken by most that study the occult and magic. Its like searching for a gas leak with a lit candle. After a couple of years I felt like I understood it enough to start putting it into use, after about a week into this during one of the rituals my higher self came to me. I have had access to my higher self throughout my whole adult life, it drops in at times and guides me. It basically told me that I needed to learn how these things worked so I could understand how my world was manipulated, but I was never intended to actually use it. I was informed that this could lead to me "switching sides" and to back away from implementing anything I had learned. This was rather frustrating as I learned so much and I felt like I was ready. My mind was brainwashed thinking that Crowley and these people were pure at heart and that the world just didn't understand their teachings, how I was so wrong.

As time went on I started to realize that these occult powers were actually powers we all have. We can take the short cut and use the occult methods of getting at them or we can grow into them naturally as we were supposed to. One inevitably leads to imbalance, the other balance. I had the realization this was the difference between the occult and esoteric. I like to think of it as a video game metaphor. At certain levels of the game, certain things are unlocked. At level 15 you can become telepathic, at level 20 you may unlock telekinesis. But you have to play each level up to that level like every other player to unlock those things. The occult method are those that are not at those levels yet and are using cheat codes to unlock those levels to be able to play them earlier than they were supposed to. The problem with this is they have never played all the levels earlier so they never work out their jealousy, greed, power, lust and so on. Now these people have access to these powers but wield them not from a perspective of wisdom but from their greed or jealousy, ect. This creates the world we see today. These people may have money and power, but they are so imbalanced that it must come at the price of torture to the spiritual and emotional self. I can promise you they are tormented with fears, insecurities, anxieties and so forth. They might have everything material, but they are in a mental jail of their own.

To make a long story short, the occult and esoteric powers are the same. It just matters how you get at them and unlock them. One method is natural and allows you to progress through the levels of the game as you should, the other is a cheat code designed to be able to access levels prematurely. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I think once anyone gets to this level and understanding, they will be tested on which path they will take, the occult or esoteric. Will you pick the short cut or will you do the work needed to progress as you should? We will all be given this choice, which path you take is up to you. These tests might manifest in different ways as they did for me, but they are all part of the game and will be there at the appropriate level waiting, I promise. One of the final tests for me was the whole selling of your soul thing. After I learned what I needed to and made my stance, the creator of this reality who is not the God of love came to me and tried to make a deal with me about my soul and this reality. I would like to save that for another thread as I think this is a very real issue that all will come to at some point. The deal for the soul is their last ditch effort to claim you as theirs as they are afraid of what you are about to become. It is the deal of deals.....

In divine friendship,
    your brother,
    -wishy
    Last edited by dpwishy; 6th September 2013 at 00:16.

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to dpwishy For This Post:

airaspect (7th October 2013), Camilo (5th September 2013), Cristian (7th October 2013), Delight (5th September 2013), donk (5th September 2013), Eram (5th September 2013), Flash (6th September 2013), Free Bird (7th October 2013), gaiagirl (6th October 2013), Gardener (5th September 2013), Jayke (5th September 2013), johnf (7th October 2013), jtcribbs (6th September 2013), Kiforall (5th September 2013), northstar (5th September 2013), Orph (6th October 2013), Pilgrim (7th September 2013), Rantaak (6th September 2013), ROMANWKT (5th September 2013), S-L (5th September 2013), Shamz (5th September 2013), silverchimes (6th September 2013), skippy (7th October 2013), soleil (7th October 2013), Spiral of Light (5th September 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (5th September 2013), Zampano (5th September 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,835 times in 413 posts

Default Re: The occult vs Esoteric teachings

I enjoyed reading this. You write well! Thank you for posting.

The cheating your way up to a higher level reminded me of something I once read from Osho. He described a tribe in Nepal that used physical surgery to artificially force their third eye open. They were then able to cultivate certain abilities ("siddhis") that they would not normally be able to, given their level of spiritual development. This "black" tribe used these abilities against neighboring tribes.

I'm going to be honest with you. I'm not sure why anyone would pursue this occult path. The price is much too high. Ultimately, if one wishes to transcend this physical manifestation and connect with the Divine, there is simply no need for it. It may lead in this direction but the risks are much too high. Many started off with good intentions. Many have fallen.

There are more direct and safer spiritual paths one can follow. What leads people to the occult is greed. The desire for powers, for special abilities, for control, or even for knowledge. If true spiritual growth is what one desires, then one should look elsewhere.
    -
    The Steps to Knowledge Spiritual Practice: Hear your Spirit. Taking the steps to Knowledge ... will teach you how to listen within yourself.
    -
    The Great Waves of Change: Are you ready for what's to come?
    -
    The Best Alien Disclosure Information Around: "Though the visitors have a superior technology, the success of their entire mission rests upon their ability to persuade and to encourage human allegiance. You have the power to resist this."

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to S-L For This Post:

Camilo (5th September 2013), Delight (5th September 2013), dpwishy (5th September 2013), Eram (5th September 2013), Flash (6th September 2013), gaiagirl (6th October 2013), Gardener (5th September 2013), Kiforall (5th September 2013), northstar (5th September 2013), Orph (6th October 2013), Shamz (5th September 2013), soleil (7th October 2013), Spiral of Light (5th September 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (5th September 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by S-L (here)
    I'm going to be honest with you. I'm not sure why anyone would pursue this occult path.
    Thats one of those things thats easy to say in theory. We may say we don't like money, or material realm objects but that may because we don't have them in that capacity. Given the opportunity to have unlimited power, money, prestige and so forth, many would buckle under that. Its easy to say we wouldn't hypothetically, but given the chance, I think far more would take it than care to admit. I don't think anyone really knows what they would do until they are faced with that very choice. That is when we show our true colors.

I only say that because I almost sold my soul and this was half a year past when I made the choice between the occult and esoteric. The way it was pitched to me is that a book that would be auto penned through me would cause the shift in consciousness, that everyone would be able to progress but my soul would have to stay in this realm forever. It was packaged very cleverly in a way that I would be sacrificing my self for the all, and I almost took it. I was 98% there and then a divine synchronicity happened. Tools the patient came on the radio and it was the part where they keep repeating "Be patient, I must keep reminding my self of this, I must keep reminding my self of this". It kept repeating it over and over and I knew God was talking to me through the song. If it wasn't for this divine intervention, I would have sold my soul for everyone else. Up to that day I would have sworn that there was NO WAY or deal that could ever get me to sell my soul but I don't think we truly know that until we are faced with it.

In divine friendship,
    your brother,
    -wishy
    Last edited by dpwishy; 5th September 2013 at 21:08.

6. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to dpwishy For This Post:

Camilo (5th September 2013), Eram (5th September 2013), Flash (6th September 2013), gaiagirl (6th October 2013), Gardener (7th October 2013), johnf (7th October 2013), Kiforall (5th September 2013), northstar (5th September 2013), Orph (6th October 2013), Pilgrim (7th September 2013), ROMANWKT (5th September 2013), S-L (5th September 2013), Shamz (5th September 2013), skippy (7th October 2013), soleil (7th October 2013), Spiral of Light (5th September 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (5th September 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 times in 676 posts

You shouldn't judge one side of the tree too harshly, or you might just find out you're on that side already.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to noprophet For This Post:

dpwishy (5th September 2013), Eram (5th September 2013), Flash (6th September 2013), johnf (7th October 2013), northstar (5th September 2013), ROMANWKT (5th September 2013), S-L (5th September 2013), Shamz (5th September 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (5th September 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by noprophet (here)
    You shouldn't judge one side of the tree too harshly, or you might just find out you're on that side already.
    I hope I did not come off that way. There is no bad side, I understand this. When you look at a battery, you dont look at the negative terminal and say that its bad or evil, its just the opposite polarity. I understand the unity of it all and know that its all part of the same. I did not mean this as saying one side is better than the other. There is nothing wrong with the other side of the tree, but it does have more tricks, catches and pit falls. As S-L said, "Many started off with good intentions. Many have fallen." and I believe this is due to acquiring certain abilities far before one is ready to. There may be many who can walk this path successfully, but it is tricky and few and far between are able to do it righteously. I hope I didnt come off as saying one side is better than the other, all I was trying to explain is the difference between occult and esoteric. Both do the same things in the end and as I mentioned in the first post, both have their advantages and disadvantages. This was not meant as a judgment but as a warning so people may choose which side of the tree fits their energy best.

In divine friendship,
    your brother,
    -wishy

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dpwishy For This Post:

Delight (5th September 2013), Eram (5th September 2013), Flash (6th September 2013), Gardener (7th October 2013), johnf (7th October 2013), noprophet (5th September 2013), northstar (5th September 2013), Orph (6th October 2013), ROMANWKT (5th September 2013), S-L (5th September 2013), Shamz (5th September 2013), soleil (7th October 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (5th September 2013)

11. Link to Post #6
    Wales Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,775 times in 1,313 posts

Hi Dpwishy

Always happy to learn from people who are doing it or had done it as they say, I hope you continue this knowledge further.

Regards Dpwishy

roman

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ROMANWKT For This Post:

dpwishy (5th September 2013), Eram (5th September 2013), Flash (6th September 2013), Gardener (7th October 2013), johnf (7th October 2013), Shamz (5th September 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (5th September 2013)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Shamz's Avatar
    Thanks

Dear Wishy,

Thanks for writing this beautifully worded post. Looking forward to hear from you. I am also a silent reader most of the time - and only beginning to understand things of spiritual nature.
    I just follow my heart - don't practise any religion or follow Gods - or any other occultist methods that there are. I only believe in me - my High Self and the Ultimate creator -Source.

Now, I am going on this path - how do I know what level I am at or if I am making any progress or not ? At this point my only goal is to be one with my High Self or Source. Not sure what my next goal would be - when I achieve my current objective.
    But just saying - following a simple esoteric path is peaceful and full filling but I am looking for markers on the road. But I never doubt myself.

thanks and much love to you
    ~~ Much Love
    In Lak'ech Ala K'in ( I am You and You are me )

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shamz For This Post:

dpwishy (5th September 2013), Eram (5th September 2013), Flash (6th September 2013), johnf (7th October 2013)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Shamz (here)
    Now, I am going on this path - how do I know what level I am at or if I am making any progress or not ?
    Love and Joy is what I use as my indicators.
    The more you progress,
    the more love and joy you will experience.
    If these are not present and increasing,
    maybe you should check where you are going.

The first and only goal should be to reconnect with your higher self. When connection is made, ask it what it is you need to learn. It knows whats best for you, not me. I believe this aspect of the self to be out side of space and time. It is the aspect of the self that has lived and experienced every time line and knows how to best navigate you to where it is. The only goal should be to connect with this aspect of the self, the next step or goals will be given to you by this voice. If you want the most direct path, have your only goal be to connect with higher self.

In divine friendship,
    your brother,
    -wishy

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dpwishy For This Post:

AlaBil (7th October 2013), Eram (5th September 2013), Flash (6th September 2013), johnf (7th October 2013), Orph (6th October 2013), S-L (6th September 2013), Shamz (6th September 2013), soleil (7th October 2013)

17. Link to Post #9
    South Africa Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,472 times in 1,084 posts

There is a very profound difference between 'occult' and 'esoteric' teaching...even though they appear to have similar basic meanings to the casual seeker.
    The more correct way to approach these 2 words is to understand the levels at which they effect our growth.

In esoterics, occult practices are regarded as those working with the forces of nature and of the cosmos.
    In esoterics, esoteric practices are regarded as those working with the concsiousness aspect of evolution.

Occultism disregards the fact that humans are not superbeings yet, and are actually evolving to become superbeings.
    Occultism considers humans to be 'fallen' superbeings and thus, occultists, tend to become proficient in practices which manipulate matter...and thus fail to work on the true practices which expand consciousness and thus, higher qualities, like love and unity.

True esoterics knows the nature of the true Self and it's goal...which is to seek knowledge which would facilitate it's consciousness growth...in order to evolve from the human kingdom to the 5th kingdom...which is total control and immunity and detachment from the desire for physical material existance.

Take care and love
    Ray

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Finefeather For This Post:

dpwishy (5th September 2013), Eram (5th September 2013), Flash (6th September 2013), Gardener (7th October 2013), johnf (7th October 2013), Kiforall (5th September 2013), Orph (6th October 2013), Realeyes (7th October 2013), S-L (6th September 2013), soleil (7th October 2013)

19. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,405 times in 1,922 posts

Interesting thread. That's for sure, there are no short cuts to heaven.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Camilo For This Post:

Eram (5th September 2013), Flash (6th September 2013), johnf (7th October 2013), S-L (6th September 2013), soleil (7th October 2013)

21. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

why dont I pursue the occult and get back into esoteric to balance my energies.

Historically, I have never been the guy who plays games that have levels through to the end- especially if it does not have cheats...I never like to indulge in the story
    But I am usually interested in competitive games that has 2 players run at each other-fifa ,racing games and more

Thats why I might go with the competitive route in the occult and slowly try to play through the levels of the esoteric

22. The Following User Says Thank You to youare_God_getoverit! For This Post:

johnf (7th October 2013)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,984 times in 463 posts

Occult simply means hidden, literally covered over - occult teachings instruct in learning that has been concealed. These teachings can be used for good or evil. if I am reading you correctly you seem to have conflated occultism with the latter.

Esoteric knowledge is knowledge or teachings for a few, as opposed to exoteric teachings which are meant for the mainstream, Again esoteric teachings can be used for good or evil

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

aniN (7th October 2013), Gardener (7th October 2013), johnf (7th October 2013)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by leavesoftrees (here)
    Occult simply means hidden, literally covered over - occult teachings instruct in learning that has been concealed. These teachings can be used for good or evil. if I am reading you correctly you seem to have conflated occultism with the latter.

Esoteric knowledge is knowledge or teachings for a few, as opposed to exoteric teachings which are meant for the mainstream, Again esoteric teachings can be used for good or evil
    Quote Posted by dpwishy (here)
    Today I wanted to talk about the difference between the Occult and Esoteric studies. I would like to point out, these definitions are of my own. You may not find the same meaning of these two words if you read about them somewhere else.
    I hear what you are saying, I tweaked them a bit like I explained above. This is just the way I like to separate things for my path and understanding. I completely understand where you are coming from though.

In divine friendship,
    your brother,
    -wishy

26. The Following User Says Thank You to dpwishy For This Post:

johnf (7th October 2013)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,686 times in 774 posts

hey dp, i cant wait to read more of your threads. i too have been reading about esoterics, and have never felt the need to take short cuts, because the long way is so much more satisfying and thorough.
    unite, alright
    you know one thing about music? when it hits, you feel no pain!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soleil For This Post:

dpwishy (7th October 2013), johnf (7th October 2013)

29. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member johnf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,363 times in 1,115 posts

This is certainly some good stuff here.
    I often feel impatient, and in a rush, and I think that is
    why so many get caught up in the shortcut path, forcing outcomes,
    instead of relaxing and plodding along till a better outcome
    than any I could think of by my own lil self shows up.
    The larger self does has a plan.
    I was really struck by his statement:

Quote Posted by dpwishy (here)
    Its like searching for a gas leak with a lit candle.
    This has occurred with a lot of my studies in spiritual subjects, and then I get back to relaxing and things untangle to a greater or lesser extent.
    Hanging out around here can sometimes trigger my impatience, sometimes gets me to relax and trust again.
    I'll keep my eyes on this one, thanks.

jf
    "I am fascinated by religion. (That's a completely different thing from believing in it!)" Douglas Adams

30. The Following User Says Thank You to johnf For This Post:

dpwishy (8th October 2013)

+ Reply to Thread