+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beware Spyware: Wikileaks exposes surveillance industry trackers

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Default Beware Spyware: Wikileaks exposes surveillance industry trackers

Beware Spyware: Wikileaks exposes surveillance industry trackers

Published on 5 Sep 2013

A huge new revelation from Wikileaks this hour has exposed a sweeping surveillance
    industry, which has been developing spyware for governments to track and control their
    citizens. RT was among the very few media outlets given access to the documents prior
    to their release.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Bongo (5th September 2013), ceetee9 (5th September 2013), Gardener (6th September 2013), MariaDine (5th September 2013), Michelle Marie (7th September 2013), Octavusprime (5th September 2013), PathWalker (7th September 2013), ROMANWKT (5th September 2013), Snookie (5th September 2013), spiritguide (5th September 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (5th September 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 times in 472 posts

Default Re: Beware Spyware: Wikileaks exposes surveillance industry trackers

For those interested here are the leaks:

http://wikileaks.org/spyfiles3
    The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
    -- Maureen Dowd --

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to toad For This Post:

ceetee9 (5th September 2013), Cidersomerset (5th September 2013), MariaDine (5th September 2013), Michelle Marie (7th September 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

No wonder my PC has slowed down! LOL

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 times in 472 posts

I would love some of that software. How come no one is pirating that. That should change so we can spy on them as they spy on us.
    The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
    -- Maureen Dowd --

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to toad For This Post:

Cidersomerset (5th September 2013), Gardener (6th September 2013), Michelle Marie (7th September 2013), norman (6th September 2013), Positive Vibe Merchant (5th September 2013), soleil (7th September 2013)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member LivioRazlo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,613 times in 320 posts

I'm wondering if the Tor web browser would keep you from being infected with government spyware; any hoot, what goes around comes around and the government will certainly reap what they have sown along with their masters.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LivioRazlo For This Post:

Cidersomerset (6th September 2013), Michelle Marie (7th September 2013)

10. Link to Post #6
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,670 times in 21,535 posts

Quote Posted by LivioRazlo (here)
    I'm wondering if the Tor web browser would keep you from being infected with government spyware; any hoot, what goes around comes around and the government will certainly reap what they have sown along with their masters.
    Using TOR has almost nothing to do with protecting your computer from spyware. One uses TOR to hide what one is looking at from governments and Internet companies. But one gets spyware from what one chooses to look at and, especially, download onto one's computer.

It's as if using TOR was like driving to the store only over backroads that don't have traffic cameras, so the government can't watch you. But if you still drive to the same stores, and purchase the same poisonous products, one will still end up with those products at home.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Arc (9th September 2013), Cidersomerset (6th September 2013), fifi (7th September 2013), kanishk (8th September 2013), Michelle Marie (7th September 2013), norman (6th September 2013), Teo (7th September 2013)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Quote It's as if using TOR was like driving to the store only over backroads that don't have traffic cameras, so the government can't watch you. But if you still drive to the same stores, and purchase the same poisonous products, one will still end up with those products at home.
    That's a very good anology Paul.....LOL...I'll remember that cheers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Michelle Marie (7th September 2013)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,464 times in 8,344 posts

And while your all thinking about this stuff remember which category of software has the most penetrative access to the bowels of your computer and data.

Antivirus software.

There are no bent cops, are there?
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Arc (9th September 2013), Gardener (6th September 2013), Michelle Marie (7th September 2013)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Using TOR has almost nothing to do with protecting your computer from spyware. One uses TOR to hide what one is looking at from governments and Internet companies. But one gets spyware from what one chooses to look at and, especially, download onto one's computer.

It's as if using TOR was like driving to the store only over backroads that don't have traffic cameras, so the government can't watch you. But if you still drive to the same stores, and purchase the same poisonous products, one will still end up with those products at home.
    The was an enlightening analogy Paul, thank you for the insight. A couple of friends I work with had recommended it to me one time, but, being the skeptical person that I am, I decided against it. As I further my education in Computer Information Sciences, geared towards programming and information security, I would like to be able to create an OS based off the Linux kernel that is more GUI friendly as well as secure.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LivioRazlo For This Post:

Michelle Marie (7th September 2013)

18. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I would like to be able to create an OS based off the Linux kernel that is more GUI friendly as well as secure.
    Take a gander at Tails .

Tails is a live operating system, that you can start on almost any computer from a DVD or a USB stick. It aims at preserving your privacy and anonymity, and helps you to:
    • use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship;
    • all connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor network;
    • leave no trace on the computer you are using unless you ask it explicitly;
    • use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools to encrypt your files, emails and instant messaging.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

LivioRazlo (9th September 2013), Michelle Marie (7th September 2013)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Take a gander at Tails .

Tails is a live operating system, that you can start on almost any computer from a DVD or a USB stick. It aims at preserving your privacy and anonymity, and helps you to:
    • use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship;
    • all connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor network;
    • leave no trace on the computer you are using unless you ask it explicitly;
    • use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools to encrypt your files, emails and instant messaging.
    I will have to check this out Paul. I am trying to become more accustomed to using BackTrack 5R3 or Kali Linux, which is installed on a separate partition of my HDD, but I never gave much thought to live booting from disc or USB. Makes more sense honestly in the sense of security.

21. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I will have to check this out Paul. I am trying to become more accustomed to using BackTrack 5R3 or Kali Linux, which is installed on a separate partition of my HDD, but I never gave much thought to live booting from disc or USB. Makes more sense honestly in the sense of security.
    One thing I'm thinking of doing is runnin Tails inside Virtualbox on my big Linux box. Virtualbox has come to be quite a good emulator ... i run BSD, Windows and Mac OS in it now.

I could set up Virtualbox to boot off a readonly ISO image of Tails, then to have a second writable virtual disk image file that it securely erases after every use. Thus I could boot up into a secure Tails system, while still running all my other stuff, and automatically erase any changes when finish that session, except what I had deliberately written out to a shared disk, outside the Tails boot iso and second writeble virtual disk image.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

norman (9th September 2013)

23. Link to Post #13
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    where ever there is a smile, ill be there :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 times in 1,702 posts

Is this what coukld have happend to PA recently ? sometimes when i click on my threads or posts iget an error message which i didnt before ..

N

+ Reply to Thread