+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A new Island Reported to have risen out of the Sea Pakistan 7.0 EQ

1. Link to Post #21
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Default Re: A new Island Reported to have risen out of the Sea Pakistan 7.0 EQ

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    look how the continents of earth could have been formed in one day ... a quake and boom bang land rises out of the sea ... the trick is , how long will it stay above sea level ??? all sorts of anomalies have been happening lately ...
    Creationists will be having a blast with this one................and "on the 3th day Bob created dry land" , o goodie, this is going to be yummy to listen to, cant wait to see/hear what those guys make of this.

2. Link to Post #22
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Ok, this is NOT news at all this happened in 2010, THIS quake and THAT island are NOT related, the video I posted is from 2010 apparently (it just got reposted or got a new timestamp on Youtube), follow link to news article.

For now I say HOAX.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/82150/new...

QUETTA:
    Fishermen reported on Friday the emergence of a mud volcano three kilometers off Balochistan’s coast overlooking the Hingol area, about 15o kilometres from the port town of Ormara.

According to local fishermen, a three-kilometre wide and 300-feet high island of mud sludge emerged off the coast. This area administratively falls under the jurisdiction of the Lasbela district.

A number of fishermen arrived there and hoisted flags while the others tried to salvage some fishing vessels which were trapped in the newly-emerged island.

They said that this kind of landmass had first emerged in 2004 and the Maritime Security Agency had taken control of it. However, the island disappeared after three months because of certain geographical changes.

According to locals, the island was three-kilometre-long island was called ‘Peer Ghaib’ after it disappeared. A mud volcano is formed when fluidised soft mud is expelled at high rates.

There are several clusters of mud volcanoes in Balochistan, mostly near Hingol, Gwadar, Pasni, Ormara and elsewhere in Lasbela district.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 27th, 2010.
    __________________________________________________ _________

Ah well, at least the creationists can still have their fun with it, pops up, sinks again, pops up, sinks again, when its not the creationists who can have some fun with this it will be anyone who believes in Atlantis.

Let the games begin

__________________________________________________ ________________________

This means Dutchsinse did not pay attention too btw, exiting old footage glued onto new incident.
    Last edited by 778 neighbour of some guy; 25th September 2013 at 08:28.

3. Link to Post #23
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,008 times in 3,208 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    It has never happened before as far as I know.
    New islands do sometimes appear, often to slip beneath the waves again some time later. The image below is from 2010, when an island arose from the Arabian Sea off the southern coast of Pakistan.

Older residents of the coastal town of Gwadar, Pakistan
    told NBCNews.com that a 1968 earthquake produced an island that stayed for one year and then vanished (Ali Mohammad, 60, and Azeem Baloch, 57). Still earlier, an earthquake in this same region in the 1940s produced an island that was solid enough for people to walk on, but it washed away within weeks.

New islands do rise from the sea floor on occasion. Image on left shows an island that appeared on November 26, 2010, also formed by a mud volcano, off Balochistan, Pakistan. Image on right shows the same spot about a year earlier.

Source:
    earthsky.org/earth/powerful-7-8-magnitude-earthquake-strikes-pakistan-today

"Sandy layers underground are shaken, and sand grains jiggle and become more compact,"John Armbruster, a seismologist at the Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University told NBC News. The shifting sand layers are compacted and pressurize the water, which gushed upwards, carrying mud and sand along with it.

This "liquefaction" of sand and mud layers take place after any earthquake, but these sudden islands are usually spotted after strong earthquakes, at least 7- or 8-magnitude events. The distance of the island from the epicenter of the quake is "a little bit surprising,"
    Armbruster said, granted that "the sediments are quite soft and susceptible to this."

While mud volcanoes are typical of watery, loose sediments layers off the coast of Baluchistan, more substantial instant islands — or "land uprisings" — do suddenly appear in other parts of the world, Stephan Graham, a geologist at Stanford University told NBC News.

They're typically seen along fault lines where one tectonic plate slides under another, like the hungry subduction zone under New Zealand. Fault lines like the San Andreas, at which the Pacific Plate and the North American plates slide past each other sideways, are less likely to see such upcrops, Graham said.

It also takes a pretty sizable earthquake to push up an entirely new land feature. "You wouldn't expect to see it in a 3- or 4-magnitude [quake]," Graham said, it would take a stronger temblor of 7 or 8 magnitude to change the landscape.

Source: tert.am/en/news/2013/09/25/new-island
    Last edited by Atlas; 25th September 2013 at 08:33.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (25th September 2013), avid (25th September 2013), Calz (25th September 2013), CD7 (25th September 2013), Ernie Nemeth (25th September 2013), Referee (25th September 2013), RMorgan (25th September 2013), selinam (25th September 2013), TargeT (25th September 2013), ulli (25th September 2013), Wind (25th September 2013), Wookie (25th September 2013)

5. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,057 times in 1,640 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    I wonder who will be first to run out and plant a flag on the new landmass....
    Exactly my thoughts.

And I was also thinking how ironic it is that Dubai is forcefully putting islands in the sea when all it takes is a free earthquake.

And also how surreal it would be if lost worlds and civilizations would all of a sudden start popping up from the seas in this manner, bringing the dead to life again.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Violet For This Post:

CD7 (25th September 2013), ulli (25th September 2013)

7. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 176,567 times in 12,138 posts

I like geology, it is a bit of a hobby for me, and I have never heard of such an event or any science that could explain it. It has never happened before as far as I know.
    Hi, Ernie -- when I was a kid, I remember watching Surtsey being formed, on live television (in 1963):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surtsey

Here's a video of the Island being created:

Here are two photos of it being formed:

And here's what it looks like now:

It was on the BBC news every night for several days. A reminder (as if we needed it!) that our world is dynamic and ever-changing.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 25th September 2013 at 13:08.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (25th September 2013), Atlas (25th September 2013), Carmen (25th September 2013), Ernie Nemeth (25th September 2013), fifi (26th September 2013), Jake (27th September 2013), Team Zen (25th September 2013), ulli (25th September 2013), Wind (25th September 2013)

9. Link to Post #26
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,229 times in 2,304 posts

Thanks Bill. I should have been more precise with the language.

That island was formed by what we understand to be magma domes beneath the crust. When the dome reaches an area where the crust is thin enough it can produce an underwater volcano that then produces an island.

But that is not what is happening in Pakistan, right? There is no volcano there, only subduction zones. I did not know it had already happened before in that same area (thanks buares). Learn something new every day...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Atlas (25th September 2013), Bill Ryan (25th September 2013)

11. Link to Post #27
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 120,638 times in 12,976 posts

Quote Posted by Violet (here)
    I wonder who will be first to run out and plant a flag on the new landmass....
    Exactly my thoughts.

And I was also thinking how ironic it is that Dubai is forcefully putting islands in the sea when all it takes is a free earthquake.

And also how surreal it would be if lost worlds and civilizations would all of a sudden start popping up from the seas in this manner, bringing the dead to life again.
    Even more surreal if the next volcano eruption could create a palm-shaped island.
    Although there are some pretty cool atolls, here is a heart shape one:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Wind (25th September 2013)

13. Link to Post #28
    Virgin Islands Avalon Member TargeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,644 times in 5,930 posts

so the island is real, but the video of the people and flags is false...

Quote Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- An earthquake in Pakistan, powerful enough to prompt the appearance of a small island off the coast, has killed more than 200 people, Pakistani officials said.

The 7.7-magnitude quake struck in a remote area of southwestern Pakistan on Tuesday, but it had severe consequences.

At least 208 people were killed in the district of Awaran and the city of Turbut in Balochistan province, Asad Gilani, the provincial home secretary, said Wednesday.

In addition to the fatalities, around 350 people have been injured, he said, and more people are still trapped in rubble.

The quake was strong enough to cause a mass 20 to 30 feet high to emerge from the Arabian Sea like a small mountain island off the coast of Gwadar, local police official Mozzam Jah said. A large number of people gathered to view the newly formed island, he said.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/24/world/...ake/?hpt=wo_c2
    There was a 1: 400,000,000,000,000 chance of you being born: what have you done with your miraculous life today?

14. Link to Post #29
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote so the island is real, but the video of the people and flags is false...
    Video is real and island too, its just 26 November 2010 and not 24 sept 2013, someone was just enjoying him or herself at home and used the most recent earthquake to post the 3 year old video again on Youtube, Dutchsinse picked up on it, it got posted on the forum and some of us me included went along with it unknowing.

So quake was there, but it did not form the island, a previous quake did that.

15. Link to Post #30
    Virgin Islands Avalon Member TargeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,644 times in 5,930 posts

so the media that's reporting an island appeared are all wrong too?

wouldn't supprise me.
    There was a 1: 400,000,000,000,000 chance of you being born: what have you done with your miraculous life today?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (25th September 2013), Ernie Nemeth (25th September 2013), ulli (25th September 2013)

17. Link to Post #31
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

so the media that's reporting an island appeared are all wrong too?

wouldn't supprise me.
    Perhaps they get their news here on Avalon, perhaps unbeknownst to us we have a very famous news anchor amongst our midst, and he/she just fell for it too, that would be too funny, I think most journalists are a lot better informed then we give them credit for btw, they are just as stuck in the rat race as most of us are, the sad part would be, its slowing us down as a collective when they don't talk.

18. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 176,567 times in 12,138 posts

-------

A clarification (I think!):

From CNN yesterday (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/24/wo...tan-earthquake):

The quake was strong enough to cause a mass 20 to 30 feet high to emerge from the Arabian Sea like a small mountain island off the coast of Gwadar, local police official Mozzam Jah said. A large number of people gathered to view the newly formed island, he said.

Large quakes can cause significant deformation to the earth's crust, particularly visible along coastlines.

The island is about 100 feet in diameter and about one mile off the coast, GEO TV reported.

Zahid Rafi, principal seismologist for the National Seismic Monitoring Center, confirmed the island had formed. He said it was "not surprising," considering the magnitude of the earthquake.

But John Bellini, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey, said that generally it would be unlikely for such a large island to emerge from a quake like Tuesday's.

Many things, such as the tide, could come into play regarding the rise of the island, he said.

So, what this means is (I think -- subject to Avalon peer review!):

Yesterday's new island was real. But the video (that was shown by Dunchsinse) may have been of of an earlier new island, formed in 2010.

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (25th September 2013), Atlas (25th September 2013), Ernie Nemeth (26th September 2013), fifi (26th September 2013), Jake (27th September 2013), Referee (25th September 2013), RMorgan (25th September 2013), TargeT (25th September 2013), Wind (25th September 2013)

20. Link to Post #33
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Wow, so now we have two islands, one that was already there and a brand new shiny one, the planet is creating lebensraum all by its self to solve the overpopulation problem, very nice of the planet, I m jiggy with that

21. Link to Post #34
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,008 times in 3,208 posts

Professor Shamim Ahmed Shaikh, chairman of the department of geology at Karachi University, said the island, which has not been named, would disperse within a couple of months.

He said it happens along the Makran coast because of the complex relationship between tectonic plates in the area. Pakistan sits close to the junction of three plates — the Indian, Arabian and Eurasian.

“About a year back an island of almost similar size had surfaced at the similar distance from the coast in the Makran region. This would disperse in a week to a couple of months,” Shaikh told AFP.

Source: newsinfo.inquirer.net/pakistan-quake-island-unlikely-to-last-experts

In 1945, the Makran earthquake in Pakistan triggered the sudden emergence of three offshore mud volcanoes, and in March 1999 a mud volcano rose out of the water overnight to form Malan Island, 3 kilometres from Pakistan's coast.

Source: nature.com/news/2006/060828/full/news060828-1
    Last edited by Atlas; 25th September 2013 at 15:42.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (25th September 2013), Ernie Nemeth (25th September 2013), TargeT (25th September 2013)

23. Link to Post #35
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 times in 819 posts

Default New Island appears in Gwadar coast after Pakistan earthquake Full Report (25 Sep 2013)

Last edited by Mu2143; 19th March 2015 at 02:16.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mu2143 For This Post:

fifi (26th September 2013), ghostrider (25th September 2013), mab777 (25th September 2013)

25. Link to Post #36
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,950 times in 1,615 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    I like geology, it is a bit of a hobby for me, and I have never heard of such an event or any science that could explain it. It has never happened before as far as I know.
    Hi, Ernie -- when I was a kid, I remember watching Surtsey being formed, on live television (in 1963):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surtsey

Here's a video of the Island being created:

Here are two photos of it being formed:

And here's what it looks like now:

It was on the BBC news every night for several days. A reminder (as if we needed it!) that our world is dynamic and ever-changing.
    Thanx Bill, i'm somewhat occupied and would not have been able to upload all these pictures. I've been to one of the Islandic volcanos "Eldfell" on Heimaey and gathered some stones from the warm ground.

Had a strange dream last night that i gave birth to a child and then dived into the sea..i never saw any child in the dream though..felt it was a strange connection to an island being born out of the ocean...
    Last edited by transiten; 25th September 2013 at 22:25.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to transiten For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (25th September 2013)

27. Link to Post #37
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,208 times in 6,383 posts

Default Re: New Island appears in Gwadar coast after Pakistan earthquake Full Report (25 Sep 2013)

the mainstream media in america is silent about this , it is said there is a media blackout about the island ... when in our lifetime has a quake caused an island to rise in one day ??? this is huge ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

28. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,176 times in 270 posts

Default Re: New Island appears in Gwadar coast after Pakistan earthquake Full Report (25 Sep 2013)

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    this is huge ...
    It's a fairly small island and on mainstream media all around Europe.
    "Fish, and plankton, and sea greens, and protein from the sea. It's all here. Ready! Fresh as harvest day!"

29. Link to Post #39
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,214 times in 3,398 posts

Perhaps he's talking about "methane gas seepage?" The oceans are deteriorating because of bottom trawling of corporate national fisheries."
    Scraping the scalp of mother earth, to hoard all the fish from the mammals and put in on the shelf with carcinogenic preservatives, and charge us for destroying our own responsitility as fishermen and women to feed our families.

30. Link to Post #40
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,950 times in 1,615 posts

Where did the 1:st thread about this go??? I posted after Bill and the Islandic volcano islands and now it's just gone

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast