+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Purified Bottled Water

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Purified Bottled Water

Lately I have been seeing store-brand water bottles from Target, Rite Aid, Walgreens and others that say the water is processed by advanced filtration and Reverse Osmosis technologies.

Does anyone know if this means there is no fluoride in these bottles, or have they used Reverse Osmosis without fluoride filtration?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CivilDawn For This Post:

Lefty Dave (27th September 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Purified Bottled Water

Flouride is very hard to get out. RO removes some but not all.
    If it says NO Flouride thats it. Many of the bottle big brands
    use PWS or public water source or plain old tap water - which
    of course, has flouride added to it by the local water board processing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fourty-two For This Post:

Lefty Dave (27th September 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Germany Avalon Member
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

There should be no fluoride salts in these bottles but pure water is not good for one's health if consumed over a prolonged period of time. Pure water is pulling out not only toxins and unwanted elements out of our bodies but also minerals and vitamins. Long time pure water consumption will deplete our body of minerals and vitamins.
    I heard of some advanced Reverse Osmose filtration systems that include a battery of remineralization tanks that put minerals back in the filtrated water. These systems should be much better than the systems without such tanks.
    If real spring water is not available, tap water (filtered with a Brita filtration jug for chlorine removal) or bottled mineral water are better alternatives. Yes, I know, plastic in the water bottles is not good....
    This is such a complex and important subject that it will certainly attract a lot of replies.
    Cristian

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris411 For This Post:

avid (27th September 2013), Lefty Dave (27th September 2013), RMorgan (27th September 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member cursichella1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,266 times in 763 posts

Last week I saw bottles of Arrowhead water that had "fluoride" splashed on the label, as if it was a good thing!

Last edited by cursichella1; 27th September 2013 at 00:38.
    cursichella1

Qui tacet consentit

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cursichella1 For This Post:

Abhaya (27th September 2013), Referee (27th September 2013), sigma6 (27th September 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,027 times in 2,189 posts

This does not necessarily answer you question but I was reading an article yesterday about a new study (out of Germany) showing that they have found some significant "stuff" in bottle water. I know you have to draw the line somewhere because you can find stories about any food on the planet being bad for you, but I feel that anything sold in a plastic container is suspect and especially items (like water) that can sit around for a long time before being consumed.

Here is the story.

Widespread consumer demand for plastic products that are free of the hormone-disrupting chemical bisphenol-A (BPA) has led to some significant positive changes in the way that food, beverage and water containers are manufactured. But a new study out of Germany has found that thousands of other potentially harmful chemicals are still leeching from plastic products into food and beverages, including an endocrine-disrupting chemical (EDC) known as di(2-ethylhexyl) fumarate, or DEHF, that is completely unregulated.

Martin Wagner and his colleague, Jorg Oehlmann, from the Goethe University Frankfurt, in conjunction with a team of researchers from the German Federal Institute of Hydrology, learned this after conducting tests on 18 different bottled water products to look for the presence of EDCs. Using an advanced combination of bioassay work and high-resolution mass spectrometry, the team identified some 24,520 different chemicals present in the tested water.

But of major concern, and the apparent underpinning of the study's findings, was DEHF, a plasticizer chemical that is used to make plastic bottles more flexible. According to reports, DEHF was clearly identified in the tested water as the most consistent and obvious culprit causing anti-estrogenic activity. Despite trace amounts of more than 24,000 other potentially damaging chemicals, DEHF stood out as the only possible EDC capable of inducing this particular observed activity, a highly concerning observation.

The study's published abstract explains that 13 of the 18 bottled water products tested exhibited "significant" anti-estrogenic activity, while 16 of the 18 samples were found to inhibit the body's androgen receptors by an astounding 90 percent. Additionally, the other 24,520 chemical traces besides DEHF were also identified as exhibiting antagonistic activity, which means that they, too, are detrimental to the body's hormonal system.

Many thousands of endocrine-disrupting chemicals used in plastic production prove material unsafe

But DEHF is apparently not alone in causing significant damage to the endocrine system, as the team was unable to identify this chemical as being specifically anti-androgenic. What this suggests is that there is some other chemical, or chemical combination, being leeched into bottled water that is interfering with the body's chemical signaling system, which is, of course, responsible for hormone production and use within the body.

"We confirmed the identity and biological activity of DEHF and additional isomers of dioctyl fumarate and maleate using authentic standards," report the researchers. "Since DEHF is anti-estrogenic but not anti-androgenic we conclude that additional, yet unidentified EDCs must contribute to the antagonistic effect of bottled water."

So while these specific findings concerning DEHF are groundbreaking, the overall conclusion to be drawn from this research is that far more study is needed to determine the types of chemicals that are being leeched from plastic into our food and water, not to mention the extent of this leeching. And since the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the rest of the three-letter government agencies will surely never get around to conducting this important research, independent science will simply have to take up the charge.

"This work is a 'tour de force' in identification of endocrine disruptors in packaged materials," says Bruce Blumberg from the University of California, Irvine, as quoted by Chemistry World. This type of analysis, he adds, "will be very important for our future understanding of what chemicals we are routinely exposed to and which of these pose hazards of being endocrine disruptors."

A bit technical but here is the full article

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (27th September 2013), avid (27th September 2013), Bob (27th September 2013), Lefty Dave (27th September 2013)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,138 times in 8,307 posts

H2O?n?n?n?n?n?n?n?n?n?n?n?n?n?n?n?n?n?n?n
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

12. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Would "certified distilled" then have to be the label to be fluoride free? granted the other chemicals leeched into the liquid from the plasticizers would still be there.. as rgray222 points out. I did a little revisit on the Forum about the BisPhenol A "hardener" for the plastics. If tapwater is being used as the water source for the bottled water, I agree getting rid of fluoride by filtering would not necessarily be something bottlers would look to do due to costs. When I want purer water here for drinking I do use a steam heat distiller instead of filtering. The distiller ends up caked from the tap water minerals very quickly. Both tap water and well water (that supposedly doesn't have any fluorides in it) shows a lot of sediment buildup. Possibly folks could try doing some steam distilling, then rebottling of their water to remove the mineral salts? Lastly, I would wonder if one wanted the proper minerals, to add in one of the mineral capsules and thereby control their own mineral intake via their water. It shouldn't be hard to do and may be a good solution.

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,670 times in 1,986 posts

Quote Posted by Chris411 (here)
    Long time pure water consumption will deplete our body of minerals and vitamins.
    I would be interested to have a source reference to such a claim ... do you have any?

It is so confusing because I recently saw a video where they claimed distilled water is good for you. It can absorb optimally
    the toxins out of your body + the bad minerals (I wonder how that distinction can be made ).
    The minerals that your body need are supposed to come from vegetables rather than water.

My wife has slightly swollen feet when she drinks the tap water (which is desalinated seawater). When she drinks purified
    bottled water the situation improves a bit. So, I still cannot decide which way to go ...

I am about to create a solar distillation device to be able to produce our own drinking water.
    Distillation can successfully separate clean water from bacteria, viruses and other bad stuff in contaminated water.

But the question is indeed is it safe to drink it for a sustained period?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Operator For This Post:

Bob (27th September 2013)

15. Link to Post #9
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Operator (here)
    Long time pure water consumption will deplete our body of minerals and vitamins.
    I would be interested to have a source reference to such a claim ... do you have any?

It is so confusing because I recently saw a video where they claimed distilled water is good for you. It can absorb optimally
    the toxins out of your body + the bad minerals (I wonder how that distinction can be made ).
    The minerals that your body need are supposed to come from vegetables rather than water.

My wife has slightly swollen feet when she drinks the tap water (which is desalinated seawater). When she drinks purified
    bottled water the situation improves a bit. So, I still cannot decide which way to go ...

I am about to create a solar distillation device to be able to produce our own drinking water.
    Distillation can successfully separate clean water from bacteria, viruses and other bad stuff in contaminated water.

But the question is indeed is it safe to drink it for a sustained period?
    I find if I just use the tap water I can easily get the puffy feet too. When I switch to my own distilled (it is stored in glass) the puffy goes away, so to me it seems like there is some sort of mineral sensitivity. The worst problem I ever had was using bottled water in Abu Dhabi, the desalinated. I swear it seemed to be salty. In Nigeria the problem was there was diesel oil in the water from the tap, and the bottled water couldn't be honestly trusted that it wasn't just rebranded tap water. I would assume one's own distiller is the way to go, and get the minerals from the right foods. Being so far off the grid where I live, I can't often get fresh veggies, so I have to rely on the powdered concentrates (the search never stops trying to find the right brand), and to add the right mineral. I for my self use a simple kinesthesology test to see if a particular mineral is the right one for me in the moment. It does seem to change. I have NEVER seen any need for me to have fluoride in my diet and when I have to drink fluoride water in town it is nasty stuff.

16. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 times in 385 posts

chances are after they filtered the water they added floride
    "The Perception of an Illusion is Deception, even when you believed it was real! Perception of Deception is not an Illusion at all!" Carl Stoynoff

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wookie For This Post:

Operator (27th September 2013), Referee (27th September 2013)

18. Link to Post #11
    Germany Avalon Member
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Operator (here)

http://www.drlwilson.com/ARTICLES/REVERSE%20OSMOSIS.htm

REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER – A POOR PRODUCT

by Lawrence Wilson, MD

© February 2013, The Center For Development, Inc.

Please never drink reverse osmosis water. It is too yin in Chinese medical terms, it is not that pure as it always contains residues of the plastic polycarbonate or other membrane the water passes through, and it is mineral deficient.

Reverse osmosis or RO, for short, is the most popular water filtration method on planet earth because it is the least expensive method of purifying water. It removes most chemicals and minerals from the water. However, it is not good water for drinking at all! RO involves passing water at high pressure through a plastic membrane with tiny holes in it. Most substances are too large to pass through the membrane and remain behind. The design includes a way of back flushing the membrane to prevent excessive buildup of solid matter on the membrane.

RO units also usually contain carbon pre- and post-filters. The pre-filter extends the life of the membrane by removing larger particles and certain chemicals. The post-filter further purifies the water, removing chlorine and other gases that may pass through the filter. These must be changed every six months or less, or the water quality becomes even worse.

How and where RO water is sold. RO water is often labeled as drinking water, purified water, and I have even seen it intentionally mislabeled as distilled water. The fine print usually says “distilled using reverse osmosis”. However, this is a lie. RO water is never the same as distilled. The latter involves boiling the water and condensing the steam, leaving the solid matter behind. So one must read labels carefully.

RO is used in most commercial drinking water purification plants, and is sold at “water stores”, and in supermarket and sidewalk water machines. It is also sometimes used at bottling plants for soda pop, juices, beer, teas, prepared coffees, canned foods with water, and many other drinks. While RO membrane technology continues to advance, enhancing the amount of water that can be produced per hour and lengthening the life of the membrane, so far it is still horrible junk water. Here is why:

PROBLEMS WITH REVERSE OSMOSIS OR RO WATER

1. RO water, in general, does not hydrate the body well. This is unfortunate and sad, but we see it over and over again. I do not know the reason, but this is a consistent clinical finding with our patients. The plastic membrane must damage the water in some way. The result is a type of dehydration, even though a person is drinking plenty of water. It is confusing for people, and confusing for practitioners as well. This is the “bottom line”, as they say. If drinking water does not hydrate the body well, it is no good, no matter how clean, clear, tasty or healthful it may appear.

2. Altered spin and moment. I don’t know exactly how the plastic RO membrane damages the water, but I speculate that it changes the spin and moment of the water. Another possibility is that deuterium particles (heavy water) passes through the membrane easily. Lighter water that is bound to contaminants is stopped. The effect may be to increase the weight of the water, an undesirable change.

3. The water is extremely yin in Chinese medical terms. This occurs because it lacks minerals and because it is contaminated with plastic from the RO membrane. The yin quality is extremely harmful and must be avoided.

4. Plastic residue from the membrane always seems to find its way into the water and then into the body. This adds a toxin to the body, even though the water is quite pure in other ways.

This plastic residue is far, far worse than the possible plastic residue that occurs due to buying spring or other water in plastic bottles. This is very important because many people drink RO water to avoid drinking plastic chemicals. In fact, they are actually ingesting more plastic residues and chemicals, not less, than if they just bought spring water at the supermarket. Most spring water at the supermarket does not have a lot of plastic residue, despite what some health “authorities” claim. Most of these authorities are selling water filters, by the way.

5. RO also produces an extremely mineral-deficient water. This is a critical problem with it. Most people today, if not all people in the Western nations, at least, are very mineral deficient to begin with. Drinking RO water for any length of time greater than a month, perhaps, makes this situation worse, and the longer you drink it, the worse the problem becomes.

An even worse problem with drinking mineral-free water such as RO, or distilled water, for more than a few months is that it will inevitably begin to leach vital minerals from the body. This is a property of mineral-free waters. It is sometimes called a “hungry water”.

This is a type of chelation process, in which the mineral-free water tends to attach itself to some minerals and flush them out of the body. This can be extremely dangerous, especially for today’s already malnourished bodies. This is the same reason I do not recommend any type of chelation therapy. It always leaches some beneficial minerals out of the body. For more on this interesting topic, read Chelation on this website.

6. There is evidence from a our patients that RO water damages the third chakra, which is also very dangerous. I don’t fully understand why this occurs, but it may have to do with the lack of minerals in the water, or the plastic compounds it contains, or its yin qualities.

7. RO water is has a more acid pH. The acid pH is less of a problem in my view, but some people believe it is not helpful today when most bodies are too acidic to begin with. I agree with this, although I suggest strenuously avoiding artificially alkalinized water produced by the many alkaline water or ionization machines that are sold today. This water is very yin, which is one it main problems. It is also contaminated with platinum, a deadly metal, that is used to alkalinize the water. It is also generally tap water, basically, which is junky, in general, containing toxic metals and hundreds of toxic chemicals as well that are not filtered out by the carbon filtering system or others these machines have. More on this topic is found in the article Water For Drinking.

8.There is no simple way to test the quality of the water. As the membrane and filters age, they often clog up, and the tiny holes in the membrane often become a little too large. This leads to even poorer water quality. A simple meter that measures TDS (total dissolved solids) is not a good measure of purity, as it just gives a general measurement of solids in the water. For example, it does not reflect the presence of some toxins.

Carbon filters in RO systems can harbor many bacteria and viruses. Manufacturers suggest replacing the carbon filters at specified intervals or after a certain number of gallons have been produced. However, these are just averages. Other than the taste, it is most difficult to assess the cleanliness of the carbon filters.

9. A relatively minor problems with RO is that discarded plastic RO membranes pollute the landfills. The polycarbonate plastics degrade very slowly. Filled with toxic substances, they represent as source of long-term pollution. Extremely high-temperature incineration, which is gaining in popularity, is a good form of disposal of the membranes.

9. ADDING MINERALS TO REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER (OR TO ANY DRINKING WATER) IS USUALLY EVEN WORSE.

Some people I speak to tell me they are aware that RO water lacks minerals, so they add salt, potassium, electrolytes or other mineral preparations to the water. In my experience, this is also dangerous and stupid. The reasons for this are:

· It is hard to know which minerals to add, and salt is among the worst thing to add. Commercial preparations such as electrolyte solutions and others often do not contain optimal mineral levels for each person. Often they are totally incorrect, in my experience. For example, adding sea minerals to water may detoxify the body a little, but is a dangerous practice, long term, because the high sodium content unbalances the minerals in the body and competes with the absorption of other vital minerals. Drink salt water, as sailors know, can kill you.

· Toxic metals. Most mineral preparations are not pure enough and many, such as coral calcium, can contain some toxic minerals as well.

I find it best, by far, to obtain minerals primarily from cooked vegetables. This is usually the best source. Other mineral supplements that are excellent are kelp, 10-12 ounces of carrot juice or a little fresh green juice, raw dairy products, a quality sea salt in your food, but not in your water, and dried vegetable capsules like Juice Plus and Endo-Veggies from Endomet Labs.

Mineral sources I do not prefer include:

1. Most green powders and green superfoods if they are in powder form, as they become rancid quickly in some cases. Also, you must drink them in smoothies that are terrible food combinations. For more on this topic, read Raw Foods And Juices.

2. Green powders or superfoods if they contain a lot of spirulina, blue-green algae or chlorella, as these appear to be somewhat toxic. Barley grass and wheat grass, although not as good dried as fresh, also seem to be excellent sources of minerals.

3. Salads. Raw vegetables do not allow the body to absorb enough minerals from them, so I find it is much better to eat mainly cooked vegetables.

4. Fruits. These do not contain nearly enough minerals, and the balance of the minerals in fruit today is incorrect in some way. I do not know exactly why, but they are not working well in people’s bodies to re-mineralize the body.

5. Fruit drinks such as the juice of Acai, goji berry, pomegranite, noni, mangosteen, or camu camu berries. While these are high in minerals and anti-oxidants, and other nutritious substances, they are quite yin. A very small amount daily is good, but more than this will make the body very yin and is quite harmful, in fact.

6. Sea mineral preparations, or land-based fulvic or humic minerals, also sometimes called colloidal mineral supplements. These are unbalanced and toxic, for the most part, and don’t seem to work well, although they contain many minerals. they are better than nothing, but not optimal.

Bypassing the RO membrane on a home water filtering system. Many people have an RO filter on their home or just their sink. If you wish to use this system for carbon filtration, it is fairly easy to bypass the RO part of your filtering system, in most cases. This will allow you to keep using the carbon filtration part of the system, which is fine.

The procedure is to open up the cylinder or container on your filtration system that contains the RO membrane. Then remove the RO membrane, and close up the container tightly. In most cases, this is all you need to do.

An alternative method is to remove the small tubes or pipes going to the RO membrane container and simply bypassing the RO part by re-connecting the tubes in a different way. Either of these methods should work okay.

WHAT WATER TO DRINK, WHEN AND HOW MUCH

The type and amount of water one drinks is an essential aspect of everyone’s health and healing. Improper drinking water ruins many excellent nutritional balancing programs, and always ruins your health.

Here are the problems with drinking water that I encounter on a daily basis:

1. Not drinking enough water. All adults must drink at least 3 quarts of water daily, with no exceptions. It you are over about 250 pounds, you may need more.

2. Drinking the wrong kinds of water. These are explained below.

3. Ingesting substances that dehydrate the body. These are caffeine in any form, sugars of all types, and alcohol in any form.

Sugars includes fruits, juices, fructose, rice syrup, honey, agave nectar, sweeteners, coconut water or coconut crème and all other sweet foods and beverages of any type. The only juice allowed on a nutritional balancing program is 10-12 ounces of fresh or store-bought carrot and green juice or 1-2 ounces of wheat grass juice daily.

Please pay attention to this factor very carefully.

I find that the best type of long-term drinking water is a good spring water. It is fine to buy this is plastic bottles from the supermarket. The plastic does not cause problems with the water or with your body.

In most cities, you may also have spring water delivered to your home in recycled plastic bottles or maybe in glass bottles, perhaps. Look in your phone book for companies that deliver bottled water. It is not usually any more costly than buying it yourself at the supermarket.

Another option is to get spring water directly from a local spring. A list of springs is available at WWW.FINDASPRING.COM.

Carbon-filtered tap water appears to be the second best type of long-term drinking water. A carbon block filter is better than a simple carbon filter such as that found in a Brita filter, for example, although any carbon is better than none. Be sure to change the filter often.

However, do NOT drink water that is filtered by a deionization resin, or filtered by reverse osmosis. Also, do not use a spinning machine to “vitalize” your water. Also, DO NOT DRINK ALKALINE WATERS. These methods are harmful, in our experience. For more on alkaline waters, read the article entitled Alkaline Waters on this site.

Steam-distilled water is excellent for a short time to remove some toxic substances from the body. It acts like a chelator, however, so one must exercise care. We use it only for a few months at the beginning of a nutrition program, and perhaps for a few days to up to one month during a healing reaction. If used for longer, however, it tends to leach vital minerals from the body.

Reverse osmosis water is mineral free, but rarely hydrates the body adequately. Avoid reverse osmosis water for drinking and even for cooking. This means to also avoid popular types of water that are called “drinking water”, “purified water” and some bottled waters such as Dasani, Aqua Fina and many others that are prepared by reverse osmosis.

Also, avoid all alkaline waters. Short-term use is okay for a few months. More than this tends to make the body more yin, an undesirable effect of alkaline water intake of any kind. Also the platinum used in the plates in the machine may leach a little platinum, a very toxic metal.

Cautions with “drinking waters” and ”purified waters”. Be sure to read the label on drinking water in the supermarket carefully. Sometimes the fine print will show that drinking water that is labeled as “distilled” is really made by reverse osmosis. This is not acceptable water to drink on a regular basis, as it will not hydrate the body adequately and is harmful in other ways as well.

Home distillers. Another caution is to avoid the use of most home water distillers. I am not sure why, but these do not work as well as the distilled water that can be purchased at supermarkets and elsewhere. It may be because the commercially distilled water has pre- and post-filters that remove more volatile organic chemicals. In contrast, home distillers often simply boil the organic chemicals and then cause them to recondense in the purified water, and this is not healthful.

Also, avoid all designer or special kinds of water. Most are either tap water that is treated with reverse osmosis and then minerals added back, or some is even worse, with very unbalanced forms of minerals added. Few are healthful and none that I have seen is worth the cost.

Also, avoid adding minerals to drinking water. In my experience, this often worsens the product. The problem is that minerals in water are complex, and just adding a solution usually does not produce a balanced and healthy product.

Plastic water bottles. Some object to the plastic bottles in which spring and distilled water is sold. While it is unfortunate to use these materials, the plastic does not seem to interfere with nutritional balancing programs at all. It is far worse is to drink tap water laden with chemicals, or reverse osmosis water that does not properly hydrate the body.

A few ideas to avoid buying water in new plastic bottles. In many cities, the problem can be overcome by having spring water or distilled water delivered to your home. The cost is about the same and the bottles used are older and recycled. Another solution in a few areas is to find an excellent spring and fill up your bottles – plastic or glass – directly from the spring. A list of these springs is available at WWW.FINDASPRING.COM.

For much more on drinking water, read Water For Drinking on this website.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chris411 For This Post:

Art (27th September 2013), avid (27th September 2013), CivilDawn (7th October 2013), Mike Gorman (27th September 2013), Operator (27th September 2013), Richard S. (28th September 2013), Teo (27th September 2013)

20. Link to Post #12
    Language
    Poor english
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 times in 737 posts

I drink filtered and de chlorenated tap water, I then add 1/4 tsp of Himalayan pink salt to every 1.5 litre. I no longer worry about trying to de flouridate the water as I do not have a science lab in my home, so I figure that trying to reduce the heavy metals etc and then adding minerals to it must be a great improvement over just straight tap water.
    Love. peace and Blessings to you all.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ammit For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (27th September 2013), avid (27th September 2013), Operator (27th September 2013), ThePythonicCow (27th September 2013)

22. Link to Post #13
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,613 times in 21,526 posts

9. ADDING MINERALS TO REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER (OR TO ANY DRINKING WATER) IS USUALLY EVEN WORSE.

Some people I speak to tell me they are aware that RO water lacks minerals, so they add salt, potassium, electrolytes or other mineral preparations to the water. In my experience, this is also dangerous and stupid. The reasons for this are:

· It is hard to know which minerals to add, and salt is among the worst thing to add. Commercial preparations such as electrolyte solutions and others often do not contain optimal mineral levels for each person. Often they are totally incorrect, in my experience. For example, adding sea minerals to water may detoxify the body a little, but is a dangerous practice, long term, because the high sodium content unbalances the minerals in the body and competes with the absorption of other vital minerals. Drink salt water, as sailors know, can kill you.
    There are what I suspect to be quite a few generalizations and half truths in this article, and some good information. I get the sense that the article has, in part, the purpose of disenpowering the reader, leading them to seek the expertise of a "Nutritional Balancing" expert (such as the author of the website.)

For example, in the little piece I quoted, yes it is true that drinking sea water will kill you faster than not drinking it. That's because the sea water has a greater concentration of mineral salts than natural body fluids, so the body must dilute the sea water with some of its own water, which is just what might be in short supply if one is stranded at sea. However that fact is not a reason to not restore minerals to depleted water, but rather a reason not to do so excessively.

This is the flip side of drinking distilled or reverse osmosis water, both of which have a lower concentration of minerals than natural body fluids, forcing the body to donate minerals from its own stores to raise the concentration to desired levels.

With a little study, and the use of a simple TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter (typical cost less than $20) one can do fairly well by one's water, in my amateur opinion.

I use three filtering steps, followed by the restoration of minerals and a perhaps comical attempt to restructure it.
    1. a whole house filter removes the chlorine (for both drinking and bathing water)
    2. an under the sink reverse osmosis unit removes most of the remaining stuff for drinking water (and rice cooking water!).
    3. a counter top distiller gets the dissolved solids down to about zero parts per million (zero ppm TDS)
    4. then add back in (1) Himalayan or Redmond RealSalt (2) Willards Water (3) potassium bicarbonate (4) sodium bicarbonate and (5) fulvic ionic minerals, up to approx 200 to 300 ppm TDS,
    5. followed by vigorous stirring and then chilling.
    The last step, vigorous stirring and chilling, is intended as an attempt to restore a bit of the water's structure, as explained in Gerald H. Pollack's book The Fourth Phase of Water.

The mineral restored and (he said hopefully) restructured water does NOT work well in a rice cooker ... way too bubbly ... a mess to clean and burnt rice. Use the output of step (1) or (2) for that.

The amounts I use in the remineralization step, per 64 ounce container of water, are:
    • Himalayan or Redmond RealSalt - six twists of small salt grinder (? perhaps 1/2 tsp)
    • Willards Water - two or three "splashes" (? perhaps 1 Tbsp)
    • potassium bicarbonate (from nuts.com) - 1 level Tbsp
    • sodium bicarbonate (aka baking soda) - 1 level tsp
    • fulvic ionic minerals - 6 or 8 drops of a "concentrated x350" optimally organic fulvic ionic minerals brand
    My counter top distiller is a Megahome unit that I originally purchased along with a Silvonic CS colloidial silver generator, which requires distilled water as input. Both the distiller and the CS generator work quite well in my experience.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 27th September 2013 at 09:59.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Ammit (27th September 2013), Bob (27th September 2013), Magneticman (27th September 2013), Operator (27th September 2013), Richard S. (28th September 2013), risveglio (27th November 2013), Teo (27th September 2013)

24. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,670 times in 1,986 posts

Quote Posted by Bobd (here)
    The worst problem I ever had was using bottled water in Abu Dhabi, the desalinated. I swear it seemed to be salty.
    When I tasted the (desalinated) tap water here with more attention I also thought it tasted a bit salty. And the effect of salt
    is of course that the body retains water. So that could be the explanation for puffy feet.

As may be demonstrated by most of the posts above ... it apparently is very difficult to get it right. When looking for documentation
    there are so many contradicting opinions. Oh well, I will need the (solar) distillation anyway to be self sufficient. So I have to make
    that first step ... Then I'll have to determine what other post-treatment I need to add.
    Last edited by Operator; 27th September 2013 at 11:12.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Operator For This Post:

Ammit (27th September 2013), Bob (27th September 2013)

26. Link to Post #15
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Quote Posted by Ammit (here)
    I drink filtered and de chlorenated tap water, I then add 1/4 tsp of Himalayan pink salt to every 1.5 litre. I no longer worry about trying to de flouridate the water as I do not have a science lab in my home, so I figure that trying to reduce the heavy metals etc and then adding minerals to it must be a great improvement over just straight tap water.
    The pink Himalayan salts are great, I also make sole and when I am lazy I just take a little piece of salt and let it melt in my mouth, wash away with some tap water, feel great, give me some extra energy too btw, better then coffee.

27. Link to Post #16
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    (snipped)

I use three filtering steps, followed by the restoration of minerals and a perhaps comical attempt to restructure it.
    1. a whole house filter removes the chlorine (for both drinking and bathing water)
    2. an under the sink reverse osmosis unit removes most of the remaining stuff for drinking water (and rice cooking water!).
    3. a counter top distiller gets the dissolved solids down to about zero parts per million (zero ppm TDS)
    4. then add back in (1) Himalayan or Redmond RealSalt (2) Willards Water (3) potassium bicarbonate (4) sodium bicarbonate and (5) fulvic ionic minerals, up to approx 200 to 300 ppm TDS,
    5. followed by vigorous stirring and then chilling.
    The last step, vigorous stirring and chilling, is intended as an attempt to restore a bit of the water's structure, as explained in Gerald H. Pollack's book The Fourth Phase of Water.

The mineral restored and (he said hopefully) restructured water does NOT work well in a rice cooker ... way too bubbly ... a mess to clean and burnt rice. Use the output of step (1) or (2) for that.

The amounts I use in the remineralization step, per 64 ounce container of water, are:
    • Himalayan or Redmond RealSalt - six twists of small salt grinder (? perhaps 1/2 tsp)
    • Willards Water - two or three "splashes" (? perhaps 1 Tbsp)
    • potassium bicarbonate (from nuts.com) - 1 level Tbsp
    • sodium bicarbonate (aka baking soda) - 1 level tsp
    • fulvic ionic minerals - 6 or 8 drops of a "concentrated x350" optimally organic fulvic ionic minerals brand
    My counter top distiller is a Megahome unit that I originally purchased along with a Silvonic CS colloidial silver generator, which requires distilled water as input. Both the distiller and the CS generator work quite well in my experience.
    Very good Paul !
    thanks

28. Link to Post #17
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,610 times in 5,381 posts

I used to do all this bottled water/pure water thing a few years back. At the peak I was buying about 8 cases a month! times about $5 thats $40/mo just for water. But then I heard somewhere that a blessing over the water is just as good. Now I drink water from the tap, think it pure and add a blessing, done and free.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

+ Reply to Thread