+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Placing music on video uploads

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,643 times in 4,016 posts

Default Placing music on video uploads

Hi all,
    Was wondering how to upload copyrighted music to a video legally for posting on Youtube. Currently working on another montage and like some of Ennio Morricone's music. I noticed on some channels they make a video and have legal songs with their creation. Can I purchase the song through Amazon and than be able to upload it with the video? Thanks for any help provided.

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,809 times in 768 posts

Default Re: Placing music on video uploads

I'm not completely positive, but if you expressly state in the video's description that you do not own the rights to the song being used, it should be okay. At the very least, you shouldn't face any legal reprecussions, and at worst the video might be removed or have the audio disabled (have seen that happen). Going a step further to include who does own the rights (typically record companies) in the description would probably be most ideal.

As I said, I've occasionally seen videos removed or appear with the audio disabled due to usage of copyrighted material. However, since you won't be profiting from that material by using it as accompanyment to a YT video, you shouldn't be facing any letigious risks in so doing.
    Mercy, forgiveness, and compassion are the most virtuous forms of love
    Let your heart not be hardened by injustice and tribulation

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freed Fox For This Post:

Dorjezigzag (29th September 2013), mojo (29th September 2013)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,733 times in 543 posts

Their is fair use within copyright law that relates to non profit material that is for educational purposes although the law is a bit ambiguous, but you should be alright. Its is quite likely Ennio Morricone will be happy that you are putting his music out there but like Freed Fox has stated you should probably put his name up. Often when the you-tube bots analyse your video they will identify the music within the video and they will then sometimes if they have a deal with that particular artist put a link to itunes on your video so people can go and buy that particular song.
    For orpheus’s lute was strung with poets sinews- Shakespeare, two gentlemen of Verona

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dorjezigzag For This Post:

Freed Fox (29th September 2013), mojo (29th September 2013)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,774 times in 4,212 posts

What usually happens on youtube regarding copyright material is that when they notify the holders of the copyright that you have uploaded and used their material, they give them the option of placing ads in front of and during the playing of your video, and paying royalties to the holder out of the advertising revenue.

If you use other people's stuff, expect to have your video smothered in all kinds of distracting ads.

But of course, if the copyright holder chooses to, they can have your video blocked instead, and youtube may decide to close your channel too.
    Last edited by norman; 29th September 2013 at 22:17.
    .................................................. my first language is TYPO..............................................

7. The Following User Says Thank You to norman For This Post:

mojo (29th September 2013)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,643 times in 4,016 posts

Thanks all...your advice plus after watching a few videos on the subject its still seems a bit of grey area, but did find out a couple things and perhaps royalty free music is the easiest alternative and the other is to ask permission from the source. That could be difficult as it might be the record label producer, song writer or artist. I think there's a website that can help track song information down though.

9. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member EsmaEverheart's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a YT account and used to make videos and upload them to YT. I would put a song on my videos. (I used Windows Video Maker to make the videos.) But I stopped making videos in frustration because YT was constantly removing my videos or taking the music off of them due to "copyright infringement" even though I had given the credit to the band that made the songs and I wasn't using the videos to make money off them. So, you can try to post your videos on YT and might get by with it. It happens sometimes. Just wanted to warn you that YT is pretty strict about this.

+ Reply to Thread