Thread: ISON interacts with MARS

1. Link to Post #21
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: ISON interacts with MARS

Quote Posted by buares (here)
    * Comet ISON is NOT going to drag Mars out of its orbit and pull it towards the Earth. (I’m not making that up, some people actually believe that might happen…)

* Comet ISON is not (and boy, I love this!) “The Red Hand of Death”. It is not going to shower Earth with finger-like tendrils of poisonous chemicals and wipe us all out.

* Comet ISON is NOT … deep breath… an alien Habitat called “Xanterexx” with 1000s of alien beings on it. (We know this because – oh come on…!!!)

* Comet ISON is not “already pelting Earth with debris”, as some YouTube vids are showing. (We know this because the comet is currently further away than Mars, on the opposite side of the Sun, and its tail is pointing away from us, so it’s, you know, PHYSICALLY FREAKING IMPOSSIBLE!!!!)

* Comet ISON is NOT “changing course”, and “puzzling experts”. If experts are puzzled about anything it’s about how some people – people who are otherwise smart enough to use computers and the internet – are so bloody stupid and gullible, or both, that they actually believe this rubbish.

* Comet ISON can NOT cause solar flares “with its gravity”. Think about it… teeny tiny comet, made of ice, vs a HUGE bloated HUGE ball of ridiculously hot ball of gas. Which has the stronger gravity? Numpties.

Want to know the basic truth?

We know ALL those things are BS because Comet ISON – and the clue is in the name – is a COMET, a big ball of dirty ice, melting in the warmth and light of the Sun as it whizzes around it, and we’ll see it in our sky for a while before it heads back out into the darkness. End Of Story.

waitingforison.wordpress.com/were-all-doomed-doomed
    You are probably most correct. However, at the same time, thinking that humans know everything is just as ridiculous as believing everything. A quote that covers both sides of the fence well, I think by Einstein actually: "Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."

Or my favoraite quote "Believe Nothing, Consider Everything"

Besides, I don't recall those topics being discussed in this thread. It was about whether the comet's coma may be interacting with Mars based on one amateur astronomers photos, and if so, whether Earth may have a similar interaction. At least that's what I thought it was about ...
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 6th October 2013 at 18:00.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

aniN (6th October 2013), Atlas (6th October 2013), cursichella1 (6th October 2013), Flash (6th October 2013), Ivanhoe (8th October 2013), Magnus (6th October 2013), Rosieposie (8th October 2013), seko (7th October 2013), sheme (6th October 2013), Sidney (6th October 2013), skamandar (6th October 2013), Wind (7th October 2013)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

The US is not the only country (eh hem, corporation) on the planet. But the US is in charge of mainstream media, and it does seem as though NOTHING is being said regarding ISON, at this point in time.

This was from September 26. On the Comet ISON website provided by NASA
    http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/wha....cfm?WUID=1545

Then theres the balloon study of ISON. A Balloon??? LOL
    Regarding the balloon they are supposedly sending up to study ISON. (if this is an ordinary comet, why haven't they sent up special balloons to study any other comet???) Story credit to cnn.com
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/27/tech/c...ion/index.html

I too would be happy to see some data from other countries. But we know, that if someone spills the beans, they lose their golden ticket. A gamble many would rather not take.
    Last edited by Sidney; 6th October 2013 at 18:27.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

4evrneo (6th October 2013), aniN (6th October 2013), Atlas (6th October 2013), cursichella1 (6th October 2013), Flash (6th October 2013), Ricker (7th October 2013), Wind (7th October 2013)

5. Link to Post #23
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    I don't recall those topics being discussed in this thread. It was about whether the comet's coma may be interacting with Mars based on one amateur astronomers photos, and if so, whether Earth may have a similar interaction. At least that's what I thought it was about ...
    You're right, many posts associate comet ISON with doomsday but the topic being discussed here is about ISON and Mars.

On 29 September 2013, the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) maneuvered to point its High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera at ISON, a new comet passing by Mars on its way into the inner Solar System.

HiRISE saw a small spot at the position of ISON that is relatively bright, like a star, but moving relative to actual stars. The comet's coma is apparently very faint, so these data provide useful constraints on the size of the comet nucleus and its overall brightness, key measurements to understand its behavior and useful knowledge to subsequent observers.

These images show a 256 x 256 pixel patch of sky at the range to the comet of 8 million miles and when the solar phase angle is 47 degrees. Three more observations of ISON are planned for 1 and 2 October as the comet moves through closest approach to Mars at 7 million miles, but with less illumination as seen from Mars.

Based on preliminary analysis of the data, the comet appears to be at the low end of the range of brightness predictions for the observation. As a result, the image isn't visually pleasing but low coma activity is best for constraining the size of the nucleus. This image has a scale of approximately 8 miles (13.3 km) per pixel, larger than the comet, but the size of the nucleus can be estimated based on the typical brightness of other comet nuclei. The comet, like Mars, is currently 241 million kilometers from the Sun. As the comet gets closer to the sun, its brightness will increase to Earth-based observers and the comet may also become intrinsically brighter as the stronger sunlight volatilizes the comet's ices.

Comet ISON (officially known as C/2012 S1) is believed to be in its first pass through the inner solar system from the distant Oort Cloud, a roughly spherical collection of comets and comet-like structures that exists in a space between one-tenth light-year and 1 light-year from the sun. The comet will pass within 724,000 miles (1.16 million kilometers) of the Sun on 28 November 2013. It was discovered on 21 September 2012, roughly between Jupiter and Saturn, by Vitali Nevski and Artyom Novichonok at the International Scientific Optical Network (ISON) near Kislovodsk, Russia.

Written by: Alan Delamere and Alfred McEwen - Image credit: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona
    Last edited by Atlas; 6th October 2013 at 19:10.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

aniN (6th October 2013), cursichella1 (6th October 2013), Flash (6th October 2013), greybeard (6th October 2013), Sidney (6th October 2013)

7. Link to Post #24
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

by Nick Howes, Ernesto Guido and Martino Nicolini:

We obtained new data on comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) on October 05, 2013. The details are on the caption of the image below.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

aniN (6th October 2013), cursichella1 (6th October 2013), DeDukshyn (6th October 2013), Flash (6th October 2013), greybeard (6th October 2013), Nick Matkin (6th October 2013)

9. Link to Post #25
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

This image was acquired on 2013 October 5, using a 20-cm reflector and an ASA SXV-H9 CCD camera. Several exposures using various filters were combined to make this color image, with the total exposure time amounting to 63 minutes.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

aniN (6th October 2013), cursichella1 (6th October 2013), DeDukshyn (6th October 2013), Flash (6th October 2013), greybeard (6th October 2013), Nick Matkin (6th October 2013), seko (7th October 2013), sheme (6th October 2013), skippy (6th October 2013), Wind (7th October 2013)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Cool, thanks Buares!!!!!
    Heres the link as well.
    http://remanzacco.blogspot.com/

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

aniN (6th October 2013), Atlas (6th October 2013), cursichella1 (6th October 2013), Flash (6th October 2013), sheme (6th October 2013)

13. Link to Post #27
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

This content is NOT on the Avalon server. Source of content is: http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/comet_ison/
    This content is NOT on the Avalon server. Source of content is: http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/comet_ison/

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

4evrneo (7th October 2013), cursichella1 (6th October 2013), DeDukshyn (6th October 2013), mountain_jim (9th October 2013), Rosieposie (8th October 2013), seko (7th October 2013)

15. Link to Post #28
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

cursichella1 (6th October 2013), Rosieposie (8th October 2013)

17. Link to Post #29
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

From universetoday.com/comet-ison-and-mars-imaged-together-during-close-approach

This image of Mars (lower right) and Comet ISON (upper left) was taken about 5:00 AM EDT [October 2] in Westminster Maryland using a Nikon D5000 and a Stellarvue 80ED telescope. It’s composed of 44 30-second exposures at ISO1600, stacked using DeepSkyStacker. Credit and copyright: Ari Koutsouradis.

Koutsouradis said via Flickr that the comet was not visible with an eyepiece on the scope, but the image stack did manage to bring it out.
    Last edited by Atlas; 6th October 2013 at 19:58.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

aniN (7th October 2013), cursichella1 (6th October 2013), DeDukshyn (6th October 2013), seko (7th October 2013), Wind (7th October 2013)

19. Link to Post #30
    Language
    English
    Thanks

So it will be coming in closer to earth than it was to Mars it appears ... Looks like Mercury get's the closest visit. Looks like I have a few months to to save for that telescope yet. EDIT: Never mind about the closer than Mars comment .. I was watching the animation backwards and got confused, lol, (there is controls if you scroll down in the embedded content - I was fooling with those) it indeed was quite close to mars at the date of the photos in the OP. Jury is still out though on what he actually saw, from my point of view.

Thanks for the anim find Buares - what I was looking for ...
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 6th October 2013 at 20:08.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Atlas (6th October 2013), cursichella1 (6th October 2013), sheme (6th October 2013)

21. Link to Post #31
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

The link was posted by cursichella1:

Quote Posted by cursichella1 (here)

This above is animated. Go here to view it moving (set at 3 frames per second). It looks awfully close to me?!:

http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/comet_ison/

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

cursichella1 (6th October 2013), DeDukshyn (6th October 2013), sheme (8th October 2013)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,546 times in 32,931 posts

Quote Posted by Sidney (here)
    if someone spills the beans, they lose their golden ticket.
    But suppose there are no beans to spill!

No beans could mean a global conspiracy. Or no beans could mean no beans.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Atlas (8th October 2013), DeDukshyn (7th October 2013), Hazel (7th October 2013), Mike Gorman (7th October 2013), Nickolai (7th October 2013), panopticon (7th October 2013), Referee (7th October 2013), sheme (8th October 2013), Sidney (7th October 2013)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

From what I understand, the PTB are still unsure of how the sun will effect the position of the comet. So it's a waiting game? I for one am truly surprised how the ignorant the people around me are. I have brought the subject up several times in numerous conversations. Nobody knew what I was talking about.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricker For This Post:

Referee (7th October 2013), Sidney (7th October 2013)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by Sidney (here)
    if someone spills the beans, they lose their golden ticket.
    But suppose there are no beans to spill!

No beans could mean a global conspiracy. Or no beans could mean no beans.
    I was thinking about that today in the car. Something just kept nagging at me, like why they would actually just stop all news regarding ISON after all the hype earlier this spring, and it occurred to me, if it turned out to be a dud, then of course, to spare embarrassment they just make it all go away. LOL

That said, I still wonder why they would send a special balloon up there to study a "regular" comet, when clearly they are broke.

Looking at the images that have surface in the last few days, it looks to me no different than any other comets that have come and gone.

Who knows, deliberate fear mongering just for the fun of it? (all the earlier hype about it).

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

bennycog (7th October 2013), sheme (8th October 2013), Wind (7th October 2013)

29. Link to Post #35
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I don't see it like fear mongering or conspiracy. But with all the high technology it would be really nice to see this great peace of rock flying in the sky.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aniN For This Post:

sheme (8th October 2013), Sidney (7th October 2013)

31. Link to Post #36
    Canada Avalon Member Richard S.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 times in 309 posts

* Comet ISON is NOT going to drag Mars out of its orbit and pull it towards the Earth. (I’m not making that up, some people actually believe that might happen…)

* Comet ISON is not (and boy, I love this!) “The Red Hand of Death”. It is not going to shower Earth with finger-like tendrils of poisonous chemicals and wipe us all out.

* Comet ISON is NOT … deep breath… an alien Habitat called “Xanterexx” with 1000s of alien beings on it. (We know this because – oh come on…!!!)

* Comet ISON is not “already pelting Earth with debris”, as some YouTube vids are showing. (We know this because the comet is currently further away than Mars, on the opposite side of the Sun, and its tail is pointing away from us, so it’s, you know, PHYSICALLY FREAKING IMPOSSIBLE!!!!)

* Comet ISON is NOT “changing course”, and “puzzling experts”. If experts are puzzled about anything it’s about how some people – people who are otherwise smart enough to use computers and the internet – are so bloody stupid and gullible, or both, that they actually believe this rubbish.

* Comet ISON can NOT cause solar flares “with its gravity”. Think about it… teeny tiny comet, made of ice, vs a HUGE bloated HUGE ball of ridiculously hot ball of gas. Which has the stronger gravity? Numpties.

Want to know the basic truth?

We know ALL those things are BS because Comet ISON – and the clue is in the name – is a COMET, a big ball of dirty ice, melting in the warmth and light of the Sun as it whizzes around it, and we’ll see it in our sky for a while before it heads back out into the darkness. End Of Story.

waitingforison.wordpress.com/were-all-doomed-doomed
    Research done:

Comet ISON is on it's normal trajectory.

Comet ISON "might" disintegrate as it reaches the sun.

Comet ISON debris field will not interact with Earth as the field will most likely not even "graze" us, we might get some light meteorites, at best.
    Last edited by Richard S.; 7th October 2013 at 14:31. Reason: Reference material quoted theoretical only removed.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard S. For This Post:

Atlas (7th October 2013), sheme (8th October 2013)

33. Link to Post #37
    Canada Avalon Member Richard S.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 times in 309 posts

I modeled it in Stellarium by loading comet c/2012 ison.

The path is NO WAY what I see here. It comes way too close to Earth in this model, somehow I doubt this model...

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richard S. For This Post:

4evrneo (7th October 2013), meeradas (7th October 2013), Mike Gorman (7th October 2013), Wind (7th October 2013)

35. Link to Post #38
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lovespot (here)
    I modeled it in Stellarium by loading comet c/2012 ison.

The path is NO WAY what I see here. It comes way too close to Earth in this model, somehow I doubt this model...
    In this model, I see the distance of ISON from earth at the closest as much farther than Venus is from earth - maybe about half the distance from earth to the sun. That seems not very close to me ... How far away were you thinking? (hint scroll the embedded content to see the angle of departure from the "horizontal" view - it goes way above the earth)
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 7th October 2013 at 22:59.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Atlas (7th October 2013), sheme (8th October 2013)

37. Link to Post #39
    United States Avalon Member Referee's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,984 times in 1,577 posts

This is from BP earth Watch talk of a large Volcanic eruption a volcano as big as the State of Washington..

"A nation which has forgotten the quality of courage which in the past has been brought to public life is not as likely to insist upon or regard that quality in its chosen leaders today - and in fact we have forgotten. "John F. Kennedy

Peace, Love and Consiousness
    Referee

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Referee For This Post:

4evrneo (7th October 2013)

39. Link to Post #40
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,323 times in 995 posts

[QUOTE=buares;740703
    We know ALL those things are BS because Comet ISON – and the clue is in the name – is a COMET, a big ball of dirty ice, melting in the warmth and light of the Sun as it whizzes around it, and we’ll see it in our sky for a while before it heads back out into the darkness. End Of Story.QUOTE]

I strongly suggest you review the material at Thunderbolts Project... Comets are NOT 'dirty iceballs'....
    http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/
    an important video to review:

If you go to Suspicious0bervers on YT, you will get a daily update that I've found to be most valuable, but the Best stuff is on his web site via a very inexpensive subscription...
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Suspicious0bservers

http://www.suspicious0bservers.org/

Learning and Understanding is key to raising our consciousness.

In Unity, Peace and Love
    “A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.”
    - Gandalf (J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring)

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kindred For This Post:

learninglight (11th October 2013), Rocky_Shorz (7th October 2013), Sidney (7th October 2013), Wind (7th October 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast