+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Ruling Of Queensland By A Dictator And Demagogues

1. Link to Post #21
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,329 times in 1,548 posts

Default Re: The Ruling Of Queensland By A Dictator And Demagogues

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/o...-1226828158855 OPINION: Sunshine State? Smart State? Silent State is more like it

"QUEENSLAND was branded the Sunshine State, then the Smart State and now it seems on the way to becoming the Silent State, where free speech comes at a price.

We are slowly being submerged in laws, regulations and official bullying and contempt that drown the right to dissent.

One of the early acts of the Newman Government was to ban what it called “political advocacy” in organisations that drew 50 per cent or more of their funding from the health department.

This effectively silenced the advocacy of matters pertaining to the physical, mental or sexual health of Queenslanders if they had a vague political dimension."

¤=[Post Update]=¤

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226822236936 "

"FOR the purpose of new laws, an out-of-control party has been defined as one involving 12 or more people, in which at least three are involved in unacceptable behaviours.

Laws expected to be passed by State Parliament this week will see people who organise such parties fined as much as $18,150, or jailed for three years."

¤=[Post Update]=¤

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fede...215-32snf.html

"The Abbott government is using a research company to trawl through millions of Australian social media posts to advise it on its immigration policies."

"The scrutiny of Twitter, Facebook and blogs is part of $4.3 million worth of research contracts commissioned by the federal government in its first five months of office.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...#ixzz2tSwhFAgk

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...#ixzz2tSwJVm6w

# SUre it's about "immigration policies " , with internet censorship still on( under) the table and the TPP coming up soon

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

enfoldedblue (16th February 2014), jackovesk (22nd February 2014), Labrenthina (21st February 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), meeradas (16th February 2014), panopticon (16th February 2014)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks

sorry about the muddled up order of the links in relation to text people , been an interesting couple of days

¤=[Post Update]=¤

never really considered meself an activist though events of recent times sorta nudged me towards is

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), panopticon (16th February 2014)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks

this is where it's all headed ( skip the ads )

effectively hobbling sharing of leaked documents , unapproved secretly obtained video evidence etc. just the tip of the iceberg

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

Blake Elder (17th February 2014), jackovesk (22nd February 2014), Labrenthina (21st February 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), panopticon (17th March 2014)

7. Link to Post #24
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 times in 950 posts

So, Pan, another election in WA for the half-Senate!!!

This could be a bit of a worry for all the participants in view of recent events, including our presumptive 'hero-of- the- hour' Mr Palmer , who's having some troubles of a financial nature at Coolum, so they say! I wonder where those 1000+ votes went! Mostly I agree with whoever said that when you have the choice between a stuff-up and a conspiracy, go for the stuff-up----- but still!!---?

Anyway it would seem to have not advantaged anyone. Actually having said that I can't help but think it may have, but we'll never know!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

Labrenthina (21st February 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), panopticon (17th March 2014)

9. Link to Post #25
    Australia Avalon Member Labrenthina's Avatar
    Thanks

Those in WA in particular should check out Mark Aldridge!
    I live in Melbourne and have been following him on FB, fantastic guy and wish we had more like him. A shame I can't vote for him, but if you are in WA, please check him out (he also has his own website and videos on you tube etc). He has taken the time to explain how voting works which may sound silly but sadly many do not understand so then their vote doesn't count or is directed to unwanted party etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mark.M.Aldridge.Independent

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Labrenthina For This Post:

bluestflame (21st February 2014), Ellisa (21st February 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), panopticon (17th March 2014)

11. Link to Post #26
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip Labrenthina--- I'll have a read. I am amazed that there is not more questioning of this very strange event in WA. Can this really be all there is?----Whoops we lost 1,300 votes! We'll have another go!

I actually live just down the road from you, and I am presently watching my town gradually wilting as yet more industry leaves! But it's happened before, there's a list as long as your arm, and we survived.

Go Cats!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

Labrenthina (22nd February 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), panopticon (17th March 2014)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Sorry for the delay reply but I took a while to find the link I wanted to share with you.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Labrenthina For This Post:

alh02 (1st April 2014), bluestflame (22nd February 2014), Ellisa (22nd February 2014), jackovesk (22nd February 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), panopticon (17th March 2014)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Latest fascist steps in Victoria- new 'anti-protest' bill.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...om-of-assembly

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Labrenthina For This Post:

bluestflame (22nd February 2014), Ellisa (22nd February 2014), jackovesk (22nd February 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), panopticon (17th March 2014)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

there's further protest planned on the 1st of march , the march in march
    coming soon to a state near you

https://www.facebook.com/marchinmarch?fref=ts

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

Ellisa (22nd February 2014), Labrenthina (22nd February 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014)

19. Link to Post #30
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Good 'Thread' Keep up the Good Work...

20. Link to Post #31
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

I had not heard of Mark Aldridge before. That is an interesting video. I don''t agree with everything he says, but that is a privilege I have in a democracy, because one of the strengths of a democracy is that is recognises the legitimacy of an opposition. I do admire his passion and enthusiasm after so many knockbacks. Personally I too believe that the method of voting is unfair. Both preferential and proportional voting do not allow for guaranteed first choice selection. Preferential voting is, in my opinion, the most dodgy as it relies on selecting the candidate that the majority object to least, rather than the one they want most! Proportional also has its flaws, because when combined with compulsory voting in every square it means that a senator can and is, selected with as little as 2% of the vote, instead of a candidate who gets an amazingly higher percentage. We should be able to choose solely whom we wish, and no more in the Senate.

However in view of the missing thousands of votes, these concerns seem minor. One guy has resigned. He should not be the last. Apparently the reason WA has another go is because the large number missing meant that they could have changed the result, not because the whole thing was messed up. In other words had there been fewer votes missing there would, I presume, have been no new election! Someone slipped up?? Too enthusiastic perhaps!

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

bluestflame (22nd February 2014), Labrenthina (22nd February 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), panopticon (17th March 2014)

22. Link to Post #32
    Australia Avalon Member TigaHawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,072 times in 741 posts

Source: Watch on Vimeo

Well, we're trying!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TigaHawk For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), panopticon (17th March 2014)

24. Link to Post #33
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,989 times in 2,304 posts

Quote Posted by Labrenthina (here)
    Those in WA in particular should check out Mark Aldridge!
    He has taken the time to explain how voting works which may sound silly but sadly many do not understand so then their vote doesn't count or is directed to unwanted party etc.
    I'm in Tassie where something like every second person is functionally illiterate and innumerate.
    Here's how the tassie electoral commission explains the intricacies of the Hare-Clark voting system we have down here (which is a pretty good system btw):

-- Pan
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

25. The Following User Says Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th March 2014)

26. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,971 times in 697 posts

Quote Well, we're trying!
    It's a start, but the fact that most of that lot still think voting makes a difference is evidence of a long road ahead I'm afraid.

Quote but that is a privilege I have in a democracy,
    You obviously don't live in Australia then because I cannot, for the life of me, find any evidence of a current democracy being administered anywhere on this landmass at all, unless of course you consider a British colony administered by series of overseas registered corporations masquerading as a de jure government based on an invalid constitution somehow akin to real democracy... Each to their own I suppose.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Hatter For This Post:

alh02 (1st April 2014)

28. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

So, Campbell Newman and Jarrod Bleijie are being sued by one of the lawyers who represents bike club members. Not just a tiny bit either, the Queensland Premier and Attorney-General are being sued over a million dollars for, get this, defamation.

Couldn't happen to a nicer couple of blokes.

###

Lawyer Chris Hannay sues Campbell Newman and Jarrod Bleijie over bikie comments
    By Mark Solomons, 1st April 2014

A Queensland lawyer who represents outlaw motorcycle gang members is seeking more than $1 million in damages from the state's Premier and Attorney-General in a defamation suit.

Court documents obtained by the ABC reveal Gold Coast solicitor Chris Hannay is suing Campbell Newman and Jarrod Bleijie over claims that bikie lawyers were part of a "criminal gang machine" and would do anything to defend their clients.

In the remarks in February, Mr Newman told reporters that lawyers who defended bikies were hired guns who took money from people who sold drugs to teenagers.

Mr Newman's comments prompted the state's Bar Association to demand a retraction and an apology. The remarks also drew criticism from the Queensland Law Society.

Mr Bleijie later defended the Premier, saying Mr Newman was responding specifically to a question about Hannay Lawyers on the Gold Coast.

Today, Mr Hannay, who has defended bikies, launched defamation proceedings against both the Premier and the Attorney-General.

In the complaint, filed in the Supreme Court in Brisbane, Mr Hannay is seeking $600,000 in damages from each defendant.

The complaint cites Mr Newman's comments to reporters on February 6 and remarks by Mr Bleijie shortly afterward in which he named Hannay Lawyers.

Mr Hannay is claiming $500,000 in general damages from each defendant.

He also claims a further $100,000 from each in aggravated damages, based on what he alleges was the "malice of the defendants in publishing words they knew to be untrue, motivated by a wish to make political capital out of an attack on lawyers".

He also alleges that they acted with "malicious recklessness ... in the belief that it would be the taxpayer, and not themselves, who would be required to pay the costs of defending this matter, and any damages awarded to the plaintiff".

Mr Hannay declined to comment. The ABC has sought responses from the Premier and the Attorney-General.

Copy of court documents here.

Source
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Mad Hatter (31st December 2014)

30. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

Now we all know how the electoral commission buggered up the senate poll in Western Australia... The Mad Monk might be going to have a bit more trouble getting his legislation through if the Coalition only win 2 seats this Saturday... That would be why there are so many pollies over there in Perth spruiking their lil hearts out. There was strike action and a rally by parents and teachers with ol' Billy-boy chattering away to 'em. Then there's the coincidence of a community cabinet meeting being held in Perth. The advice I've given everyone I know in Perth is lock your children up this week 'cause the pollies, like a bunch of hungry zombies, will be staggering around the streets lookin' for a photo snap to spin their parties hopes into life...

I'm not jaded at all snofficer, not jaded at all...

Well, in the shadow of all this politiking there's ol' Barnett trying to make like nothing happened while his ex-treasurer, Troy "I like to sniff female staffers chairs" Buswell, gets charged with 11 traffic offences from a late night of ministerial capers. Now he was never breathalysed (he was at home when the cops caught up with him and maybe they didn't realise he'd left so much damage in his wake) so no-one can accuse him of pissie driving but careless driving is definitely in there... "Oh no you honour, he was having a nervous breakdown and wasn't 'is self your worshipfulness. Me client is a trust worthy member of society, ma lord, who has undergone a nervous break down due to stress. He shouldn't be punished, we should feel sorry for him and help this selfless servant of the public interest get through this time"... Yeah right.

Anyway here's an article on Buswell being charged.

###

Troy Buswell: Former WA treasurer charged over crashes in Perth suburb of Subiaco
    1st April, 2014

Former West Australian treasurer Troy Buswell has been charged with 11 traffic offences after he allegedly cut a trail of destruction through his home suburb when driving home from a wedding in February.

Police have charged Buswell by summons following an investigation into a series of crashes in the Perth suburb of Subiaco in the early hours of February 23.

Buswell attended a wedding at Kings Park the night of February 22.

He took several weeks leave from Parliament following the alleged incident and eventually resigned his ministerial portfolios after suffering a breakdown.

Police will allege Buswell drove in a careless manner and as a result of his driving, crashed into cars parked on Olive Street and Barker Road.

Four vehicles and a telegraph pole were damaged.

He is charged with three counts of failing to stop at a traffic crash, four counts of failing to report a traffic crash and four counts of careless driving.

Premier Colin Barnett said he would not be commenting on the charges.

"Late today I was made aware via police media release that Troy Buswell has been charged with various traffic offences," Mr Barnett said in a statement.

"The matter is being handled by WA Police and is now before the courts and I don’t intend to make further comment."

According to the police statement, independent legal advice was sought from the State Solicitor’s Office before the charges were laid.

Buswell is due to appear in Perth Magistrates Court on April 29.

Source

31. The Following User Says Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Mad Hatter (31st December 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2