+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: SPIRALS, everywhere in the ancient world why ?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default SPIRALS, everywhere in the ancient world why ?

Hey guys this is my first thread on Avalon Forums don't flame me to hard. Now at the start Im going to post various theories of what people think they are and some of the different interpretations, then ill post some pics and more info and you can make your own minds up (and no this isn't a Norway spiral/spiral thread)

Spirals appear throughout the world, in widely separate places and from very early on, and most often in contexts that suggest a religious meaning of type or is it something completely different.

The Egyptologist Erik Hornung discusses the two conceptions of time expressed by the words “neheh” and “djet” which have been variously interpreted as cyclical time versus its linear appearance, or as its dynamic flow compared to its static duration, and as its continuity as opposed to its discontinuity.

Similarly there is also the theory that they could very well represent time and how it works by indication of the spiral using the theory that time repeats itself over and over again in smaller and smaller time frames which is also talked about by Terence McKenna and many other people.

This is a good watch and when you understand what he is saying and apply it to the spirals it may make sense.

The jury is still out on these proposed distinctions since all its qualified jurors were mummified long ago, but whatever the various exact meanings and forms of time may have been to the many people concerned, the time snakes encompassed them all.

The spiral in Colombian petroglyphs in many cases, may symbolize a shaman, his activities, or other person, in a trance state, or in heavy, serious concentration during a sacred ritual or ceremony. It probably was also used as a practical device at some sites to indicate the time of a winter or summer solstice ceremony incorporating sunrise shadows. When used to represent an animal such as a serpent, or part of an animal, such as the tail of a monkey, the spiral may have indicated a shamanic spirit helper or the shaman himself transformed into that animal. A variation of the spiral motif with "legs" may also be related to shamanistic healing ceremonies and ceremonial activities involving.

Also just to note when taking Ayahuasca the main animal of wisdom in that reality is the snake according to shamans.

Ok so ill now show some pics and there locations to show that this symbol has been used throughout the world and by many different cultures. The spirals come in many forms usually either a single double or triple spirals.

Sardinia, Italian island

The Tarxien in Malta

Australia Alice springs and Tasmania

Last edited by Loki; 3rd October 2010 at 21:09.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (23rd October 2012), chocolate (24th February 2014), Nanoo Nanoo (12th October 2012), Spiral (29th November 2012), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd November 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: SPIRALS, everywhere in the ancient world why ?

Scotland

Norway/Scandinavia

France

Last edited by Loki; 3rd October 2010 at 21:10.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Post:

chocolate (24th February 2014), Spiral (29th November 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Greece/Minoan

Ireland

Last edited by Loki; 3rd October 2010 at 21:10.

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Africa

America north/south

There is many many many more around the world and i can continue to post them from everywhere but i wanna breach another subject about the spirals and their apparent use in ancient calendars and solstice/equinox markers.
    Some sites come to mind in regards to this such as Newgrange and many more but im going to discuss only 1 because i don't have unlimited time.[COLOR="red"]

¤=[Post Update]=¤

THE ANASAZI SOLAR OBSERVATORY

The most famous American "sun spiral" was discovered by Anna Sofaer in 1977 near the entrance of Chaco Canyon at Fajada Butte. It was engraved on the cliff face and then covered over with three large slabs of stone, which were placed so that they combined to produce the now famous 'solar-dagger' of sunlight, which passes through the centre of the spiral each summer-solstice.

The astronomy practiced by Native Americans is impossible to summarize in one explanation, since the tribes had such diverse traditions and legends. The impressive aspect of their astronomy lies in the fact that many of the tribes were hunters and gatherers. This contrasts sharply with the other ancient cultures studied here, which developed the practice of astronomy after becoming equipped with the technology of agriculture.

The Anasazi of Chaco Canyon, New Mexico

The Anasazi were a mysterious people who lived in Arizona and New Mexico about a thousand years ago (apparently). They built high cliff dwellings, the ruins of which remain today. Little is known about their way of life, but several tantalizing clues were left in the form of cave art. A recently discovered site called Penasco Blanco shows a depiction on a cave wall of what must be a supernova explosion (see picture below). The relative orientations of the crescent moon and the star make it very likely that this is a recording of the supernova which created the Crab Nebula in 1054 A.D. This supernova, which would have been about five times brighter than Venus for about three weeks, was also recorded by Chinese astronomers. Another very interesting site is called the Anasazi sun dagger. It is a spiral design traced into a cave wall, and during midsummer, midwinter, and the equinoxes it is perfectly bisected or surrounded by daggers of sunlight which enter the specially placed windows. The Anasazi also built a solar observatory called Hovenweep Castle at Four Corners. All of this evidence points to the fact that the Anasazi were quite experienced sky-watchers, as are their probable descendents, the Pueblo Indians.

all the detailed information about this can be found here http://www.solsticeproject.org/astromark.htm
    Last edited by Loki; 3rd October 2010 at 21:12.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Post:

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

CROP CIRCLES
    One of the most Intriguing things about the spirals is the recent wave of crop circles that have sprung up with the exact designs that the ancients use to use. exactly what the implication's of this is ill leave to you.

[/URL]

CONCLUSION
    Well everyone will have their own opinion about this subject and you are all entitled to your opinion as no one really knows for sure what the exact deal is with these spirals all over the world are.

To me the spirals may be an indication of a world wide society thousands of years ago or at least some kind of world wide commonly known knowledge that we may have been forgotten in todays society. There is just to may of the exact same things all around the world to rule it out, including the pyramids and the use of massive megalithic stone blocks unable to be even lifted to this day and unable to be cut with the supposed tools they had in their time (if we even have the times right which we may not).

It seems we may never know what actually happened back then, but i assume we all would love to know and maybe one day someone will figure it all out.

ps. as this is my first thread on Avalon Forums if you have any suggestions that will help me in the future with set out and content please PM me ... thanks

Information/links/references
    www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...
    www.spirasolaris.ca...
    www.culture.gouv.fr...
    www.stonepages.com...
    rupestreweb.tripod.com...
    www.scienceviews.com...
    Last edited by Loki; 3rd October 2010 at 21:12.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Loki For This Post:

chocolate (24th February 2014)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,321 times in 10,234 posts

I'll get to this soon. In the meantime, I'm putting this placeholder here. Please stand by.

The condensed answer that I will proffer will take me days to form. Meaning, I will be modifying and adding to this post--for days. It will be connected to everything, by necessity. Yet all it will be is words, the understanding and contemplation will be up to the reader.
    Last edited by Carmody; 3rd October 2010 at 21:21.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

I'll post up a few more for you guys as well

Locust Grove, Ohio

more from the THE ANASAZI SOLAR OBSERVITORY

New Zealand

Portugal

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Loki For This Post:

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 times in 328 posts

Thats a good question tho,i have always wandered the meaning of the ancient spirals myself,i am still unsure although i suspect that it has a spiritual meaning more then anything else,you have to keep in mind that the ancient folk were a lot more connected with the things of the spirit than we are today,i am sure there are many theories out there that talk about or try to explain what do they mean and why were they used so heavily back then,but then again they could all be wrong and no one has a clue?Thats a good one tho nice post,lets see what others have to say and or think about this ?

15. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,486 times in 4,627 posts

A common symbol of infinity, time-lessness, even when you draw a spiral as a child you soon discover that the drawing has a beautiful potential.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Agape For This Post:

17. Link to Post #10
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 times in 408 posts

A dire warning from the ancient peoples living on planet Earth

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Swami For This Post:

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

cool thread...many thanks for sharing!

i love spirals...i think they're beautifully natural and symbolically sacred...

i have spirals on my palms and my fingers...

energy, life, endlessness, dna, love.....all of the above and so much more...

with love and peace always
    mike

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike1414 For This Post:

chocolate (24th February 2014), Victoria Tintagel (25th December 2010)

21. Link to Post #12
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 times in 479 posts

Very nice thread Loki.

The spirals are powerful in meanings and most useful when meditating/focusing on the evolution of something in particular. Many things in Nature evolve according to this progression as well as in the infinite small and in the infinite grand.

Name:  800px-Fibonacci_s&#11.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  11.2 KB

In direct relation with the golden ratio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number

Namaste, Steven

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steven For This Post:

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Spirals in Bosnia

Nothing is known about the origins of these artifacts...

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truthseeker512 For This Post:

25. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hello all!

Here is one interpretation about the spirals and other various symbols that have been found all around the world. I like this view on the matter.
    Symbols of an Alien Sky

EDIT: Few other clips from same guys on the matter.

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay...0301316220374#

https://youtube.com/watch?v=11g9w...eature=related

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uwMDY...eature=related
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=I-46C...=QL&feature=BF
    Last edited by McMaster; 4th October 2010 at 06:55.

26. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

Nassim Haramein has a good theory about the spirals. I won't even try to explain. He's a physicist, I'm not.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to conk For This Post:

28. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,670 times in 1,986 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    Nassim Haramein has a good theory about the spirals. I won't even try to explain. He's a physicist, I'm not.
    Do you have a link or reference to this material ?

I noticed that some spirals are oriented clockwise and other anti-clockwise ... I first thought it might be related to geophysical location but
    that doesn't seem to be it. Anyone else have a thought on it ?

29. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Agape (here)
    A common symbol of infinity, time-lessness, even when you draw a spiral as a child you soon discover that the drawing has a beautiful potential.
    My thoughts ego Agape's, but after seeing that "spiral in the sky" I am now wondering if the ancient artists were trying to re-create what they actually saw in the sky. It could be a symbol for "a gate opening" "gods coming down" etc. Some profound actions happening after these spirals showing up would make one stand up and take notice. They would draw the spiral to teach others what to look for in the sky. This is how my gut reaction feels now towards spiral art. It comes from the stars.

In love & light

[IMG][/IMG]
    The states of awareness we currently perceive are only a thiny fraction of the whole.
    The continuum extends deep into nonphysical areas of the universe far beyond our current physical comprehension ~ William Buhlman

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosie For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (23rd October 2012), chocolate (24th February 2014)

31. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 times in 1,305 posts

I believe The Spiral is the Creation's Birth Symbol, from ONE Creator Source (center point) to many (fragments/densities).
    It is also the beginning of a 'soul's journey' -- At our soul level we know we belong in heaven. On our physical level we haven’t a clue.
    Once we get the physical to a point where it is safe, fed and comfortable we can begin to think about the meaning of life.
    We can then contemplate on some ideas of why we are here and how to move on in our progress.

JMHO

Dan ~
    Last edited by truthseekerdan; 5th October 2010 at 18:09.
    Unity Consciousness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free your mind, and open your heart to LOVE.
    You'll then become enlightened able to just BE.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to truthseekerdan For This Post:

Neal (29th November 2012), Spiral (29th November 2012)

33. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Operator (here)
    Do you have a link or reference to this material ?

I noticed that some spirals are oriented clockwise and other anti-clockwise ... I first thought it might be related to geophysical location but
    that doesn't seem to be it. Anyone else have a thought on it ?
    In the occult mysteries, the clockwise spiral represents creation, and counter-clockwise represents destruction and undoing.
    In Lak'ech Ala K'in

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Solphilos For This Post:

35. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

YouTube has the Haramein videos. Find the two 4 hour lectures. Truly very interesting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast