+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Homeless or Emergency Shelter

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member seleka's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 times in 295 posts

Default Homeless or Emergency Shelter

I looked but didn't see this vid posted yet. I think it is genius.
    I am using the quote from Monty Python "Kill the Messenger" because that is how people react when you tell them the truth, they want the one that told them about it (the messenger) to just go away so they won't have to deal with truths like pedogate

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to seleka For This Post:

Ammit (30th November 2013), aranuk (30th November 2013), AutumnW (30th November 2013), Caren (30th November 2013), Crystine (2nd December 2013), Dorjezigzag (30th November 2013), gaiagirl (30th November 2013), genevieve (1st December 2013), ghostrider (30th November 2013), GreenGuy (5th December 2013), halffull (30th November 2013), Heart-2-Heart (30th November 2013), Jean-Marie (30th November 2013), Lifebringer (30th November 2013), Marie (30th November 2013), MorningSong (30th November 2013), Nasu (30th November 2013), RMorgan (30th November 2013), Robin (30th November 2013), ROMANWKT (30th November 2013), spiritwind (30th November 2013), Sunny-side-up (30th November 2013), Vitalux (30th November 2013), wolf_rt (30th November 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,175 posts

Default Re: Homeless or Emergency Shelter

I'd totally camp in that!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Milneman For This Post:

Ammit (30th November 2013), Caren (30th November 2013), Crystine (2nd December 2013), Lifebringer (30th November 2013), ROMANWKT (30th November 2013), seleka (30th November 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    Poor english
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 times in 737 posts

I have seen this video before, not sure where but obviously on the net. I think it is a great yet simple idea for an emergency longer period shelter. Also I imagine it flat packs really well so, would be easy to dismantle and erect somewhere else if needed and would lay flat in the bottom of a van, truck under a sheet of ply, forgotten about until the time came to get it out and use it.

I also imagine that being 4mm thick material, it would with stand a beating from the elements which would make a better investment over a thin material tent. I would like to see one of these in proper action and read real comments from folks who may use one of them.
    Love. peace and Blessings to you all.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ammit For This Post:

Caren (30th November 2013), Crystine (2nd December 2013), ROMANWKT (30th November 2013), seleka (30th November 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

I had a link to the plans or downloaded them. I will search more for them, they weren't as easy to find as I remembered. They were right on the guy's site before, somewhere under 'plans'. He has tepees built of the same material.

I love this one too. I love them all! http://tinyhouseblog.com/humanitaria...less-shelters/

This is Paul Elkins 'old' blog http://highmileagetrikes.blogspot.com/

AHA I FOUND IT!
    (main page) http://www.elkinsdiy.com/stationary-...gency-shelter/

I really want one of these. I have a friend with land only a few hours from here and I would like to make a structure that can be locked with gear inside, ready for camping. I am one of those people that has to have a spot that is 'mine' to feel comfortable.
    Last edited by seleka; 30th November 2013 at 15:02.
    I am using the quote from Monty Python "Kill the Messenger" because that is how people react when you tell them the truth, they want the one that told them about it (the messenger) to just go away so they won't have to deal with truths like pedogate

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to seleka For This Post:

Caren (30th November 2013), Crystine (2nd December 2013), Robin (30th November 2013), ROMANWKT (30th November 2013), soleil (30th November 2013), spiritwind (30th November 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ammit (here)
    I would like to see one of these in proper action and read real comments from folks who may use one of them.
    If I had one, I would sleep in it for a week and let you know how it went. He lists it as a 'homeless' shelter, but homeless people couldn't get these materials together, and he uses power tools to put it together, something homeless people do not have access to. But if there is anyone listening (reading) with a workshop and the $100 for materials- this would be fun to build and give away to a homeless person I bet... if it can be assembled on-site, this would be cool for the festivals, gathering, shows, crowd since it can be locked.... the pushcart wouldn't make it into a forest gathering well, but if this can be brought in flat, as Ammit says, this is a dream for camping...
    check out his burner design!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to seleka For This Post:

Ammit (30th November 2013), GreenGuy (5th December 2013), Lifebringer (30th November 2013), ROMANWKT (30th November 2013)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

This is awesome! I've been looking for something JUST like this for a while now. I'm heading for the mountains of southern Utah in the spring so I think this may be just what I'm looking for...

Thanks karika!
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

ROMANWKT (30th November 2013), seleka (30th November 2013)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

I camped near the lake in a pretty big tent , we were only going to stay for three days, ended up staying for two weeks ... there was a place nearby with showers , I stopped by a small store and picked up supplies each day after work , it was awesome , get off work , grab some ice and head back to the woods ... we were more happy there than back at our apartment ... these little shelters are a great idea , who knows one day we could need to be in the woods away from the cities ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

seleka (30th November 2013)

15. Link to Post #8
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Thanks Karika, what a wonderful idea!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

seleka (30th November 2013)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

I have a lot of alternative shelter links. and shelter ideas for gatherings. I will check later and see what is already posted and get some plans and designs up..It is a passion/ dream of mine to one day build a cob home for myself and descendants.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to seleka For This Post:

Robin (1st December 2013)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,374 times in 1,941 posts

Sounds great to me. I could have one at the bottom of my garden and use it when I fall out with my wife again!
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhh. If she sees this post we might not reach our 50th wedding anniversary next year!

Stan
    If you don't follow your spirit without hesitation, you end up following your hesitation without spirit.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to aranuk For This Post:

Robin (1st December 2013)

21. Link to Post #11
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,175 posts

Samwise: just be careful. If you use the yellow there's a good chance the bears will think you're a twinkie. Just sayin.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milneman For This Post:

Robin (1st December 2013), seleka (1st December 2013)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

Here is a suggestion to make the shelter warmer:

Buy a cheap, small wood stove and have a stove pipe exit through the ceiling. Seal it off and you can make it extra warm.

Then line the interior walls with emergency blankets/emergency fire shelters that will reflect the heat inwards.

I would honestly feel so much more comfortable living in a small shelter like this than a large house. Forget if you are poor or homeless...this is a great way to connect with simple living regardless of circumstance. The small space encourages you to get outside more and bathe in the wonders of nature.
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Robin For This Post:

seleka (1st December 2013)

+ Reply to Thread