+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Last Dead Nazi by William Rivers Pitt

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,856 times in 657 posts

Default The Last Dead Nazi by William Rivers Pitt

I have just read about the death of Heinrich Boere on Truthout and thought it worth reproducing here for those who don't follow that publication:

A piece of history died on Monday.

Heinrich Boere was 92 years old when he passed away in a prison facility in Froendenberg, Germany, where he was being treated for dementia. At the time of his death, he was the state's oldest prisoner, and perhaps its most notorious. After all, some 68 years removed from the end of World War II, how many living Nazis from the days of Hitler's Reich can there be left?

Boere was one such.

Boere was born in Germany to a German mother and a Dutch father, but moved to Maastricht in the Netherlands when he was two. When the Nazis invaded the Netherlands in 1940, he recalled seeing Stuka dive-bombers flying overhead, and remembered his parents being elated instead of afraid. At the time, his mother said, "They're coming, now things will be better." Many years later, during testimony he gave at his own trial in Germany, Boere said, "It was better."

Not long after seeing those Stukas flying above his adopted country, Heinrich Boere became a Nazi himself, wore the uniform, and fought for the Reich on the Russian front. Later, he volunteered for the Waffen SS, the para-military muscle of the Nazi Party that was the brainchild of Heinrich Himmler. By 1943, Boere was part of a hit squad targeting members of the Dutch resistance and anyone else harboring anti-German sentiments. He killed three people by his own admission, and aided in the killing of many more.

After the war ended, he evaded justice for some 60 years, fought the law once he was cornered, and was finally convicted for his crimes. On Monday, he died behind bars, lost in dementia. Only the orderlies, nurses and doctors know what demons were loosed from his mouth once his mind was gone, what confessions he made. He knew what he had done was wrong in the end, or at least he knew others thought he had done wrong; during his trial, he explained why he had never married: "I always had to consider that my past might catch up with me. I didn't want to inflict that upon a woman."

Heinrich Boere, known Nazi, known murderer, known collaborator with the filthiest tide to ever wash up on the human shore, is dead. He was not the worst of them, but he was willingly one of them. He did not die free, but in fetters on a prison bed without even his own mind left to him. More than some would say it was a better death than he deserved. Most would say that justice, at least to some degree, was finally served.

But what of us, the children and grand-children and great-grand-children of this awesome and terrible history?

Read rest of article here:

http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/20...last-dead-nazi

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corncrake For This Post:

Cidersomerset (3rd December 2013), Lifebringer (3rd December 2013), loungelizard (4th December 2013), Sebastion (3rd December 2013), Wind (3rd December 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Australia Avalon Member wolf_rt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 times in 418 posts

Default Re: The Last Dead Nazi by William Rivers Pitt

He doesn't sound any worse than many american soldiers.

+ Reply to Thread