+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A win for my little part of the world :)

1. Link to Post #1
    Australia Avalon Member markoid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,463 times in 479 posts

Default A win for my little part of the world :)

I have been involved in a community campaign to keep the water supply where I live UNflouridated!! We have had a win when the local council (under a lot of community pressure) voted the idea down... woohoo!!

Quote MARK COLVIN: It was a debate that was supposed to have been settled decades ago - the one about the fluoridation of water to strengthen children's teeth.

But it's flared up again in the New South Wales town of Byron Bay.

The coastal town has one of the highest rates of childhood tooth decay in the state.

Despite the overwhelming weight of scientific evidence showing that fluoride is a safe way of protecting teeth, the Greens mayor of Byron Bay has successfully upheld the ban.

Eliza Harvey reports

ELIZA HARVEY: A small group of anti-fluoride campaigners gathered outside Byron Bay Council chambers, with placards like "freedom to choose" and "fluoride is toxic."

The campaigners then put down their signs and held hands.

CAMPAIGNER: And one more inhaling and exhaling, and can we do a whoosh so that this energy actually gets grounded in our bodies and in the air around us.

ELIZA HARVEY: Representatives of the state's Health Department were in Byron for the council meeting and some campaigners swapped their positive energy for outright agro.

MALE CAMPAIGNER: You're working for a corporation basically. It's all you're doing.

EPIDEMIOLOGIST: I'm a scientist. I believe in science. I do science.

MALE CAMPAIGNER: But you're one epidemiologist, and you're paid by who?

EPIDEMIOLOGIST: The advice…

MALE CAMPAIGNER: Who pays you sir?

EPIDEMIOLOGIST: I'm paid by New South Wales Health.

CAMPAIGNERS: Ohhh (applause).

EPIDEMIOLOGIST: My advice is given as a scientist.

ELIZA HARVEY: Ninety-six per cent of New South Wales population drinks fluoridated water. According to the Health Department, extensive research shows it's a safe and effective way of reducing tooth decay.

The Byron Shire is one of the few places to hold out, despite having a high rate of childhood tooth decay. The Shire also has more and more families refusing to vaccinate their children.

The president of the Fluoride Action Network, Merilyn Haines, explains why she lobbied the council to maintain the fluoride ban.

MERILYN HAINES: Fluoridation does to a whole community what a single doctor can't do to a single patient, and that is force a medication on them. People don't have a choice when it's in the water. You know, you can't use the water as a vehicle for medicating people. It's wrong.

ELIZA HARVEY: And that view was supported by mayor, Simon Richardson.

SIMON RICHARDSON: Again, if you look globally, Byron is actually in keeping with where the rest of the world's going. Australia and New South Wales is actually an anomaly when it comes to global fluoridation and water treatment. Israel, just a month ago, withdrew - decided to withdraw fluoride from their water. I think over 90 per cent of Europe had no fluoridation.

So I guess it depends on where - if we compare ourselves to Sydney, yes we are the odd council out. But I think if you look globally we are in step with modern considerations of fluoride.

ELIZA HARVEY: Some councillors, like Dianne Woods, were devastated by the outcome.

DIANNE WOODS: (Emotionally) Absolutely the wrong decision and not just for the whole community, but more for the kids and the marginalised, because I've spoken to so many people who actually look after those people in our community, like children and the Indigenous, and they are so desperately in need of good dental care and good oral health.

And the thing is, you know what people don't get is, if you have bad oral health in your later years it can create massive problems. You can get heart disease, you know, much more quickly. And there's just no evidence to support that all of the stuff we heard this morning is true. It's just not true. There's more evidence that says that it's not true.

You know, I very nearly changed my mind, because I thought everyone's going to hate me every time I come to a council meeting I'm going to get abused, you know. But I thought, no, I firmly believe that what I'm saying is true, that fluoride is very, very good for you, and it doesn't hurt you, it doesn't kill you. I'm an example, you know, my kids are in their 50s, they've had it since they were born. You know, they're healthy, their friends are healthy. It's just - some of the ridiculous arguments, you know, and it's poison mongering.

MARK COLVIN: Byron Shire councillor Dianne Woods ending that report by Eliza Harvey.

abc.net.au

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to markoid For This Post:

Bright Garlick (6th December 2013), Conchis (6th December 2013), Deega (6th December 2013), DNA (6th December 2013), Eram (6th December 2013), GreenGuy (6th December 2013), Limor Wolf (6th December 2013), lisalu (6th December 2013), Maunagarjana (6th December 2013), meeradas (6th December 2013), Milneman (6th December 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (7th December 2013), naste.de.lumina (6th December 2013), ponda (6th December 2013), rgray222 (7th December 2013), Rollo (6th December 2013), Shikasta (6th December 2013), soleil (6th December 2013), spiritguide (6th December 2013), Spirithorse (6th December 2013), Swan (6th December 2013), Violet (6th December 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Default Re: A win for my little part of the world :)

Makes you wonder if she's actually gone back through the med test results and the effects of fluoride long term, and then the steady increases of chloride, flouride and other little additives, that have proven as soon as they enter the body, to start the destruction of it. Fluoride video by the doctors on youtube are really the truth from way back then, when the congress asked where are the results and never received them before passing the fluoridation bill in the 50's 60's. I know baking soda and peroxide can do the same or better to prevent decaying bacterial germs, but some like the minty taste and convenience of squeeze tube. I looked for some toothpaste w/out fluoride and just the baking soda and peroxide, and the closest I got was Arm and Hammer toothpaste. Still has the fluoride, but I don't have to use it as often and if I choose can still just use the peroxide and sodium bicarbonate.

Also, they have a new bioresonance that doctors are about to try out on patients, and heal or kill dangerous bacteria and virus by sound resonance. Just like Star Trek. I like that non invasive procedural technology. No risk of leaving operation tools behind. The video I watched came off the search on PA yesterday and I just kept following until I came across it. Just strolling/scrolling along the journey to safer health practices that aren't lab made and are cheaper than the 1000.00 dollar pills by pharma.

Yep, I too am a nature first girl.

LOL.
    Last edited by Lifebringer; 6th December 2013 at 14:47.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

markoid (6th December 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Australia Avalon Member markoid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,463 times in 479 posts

Default Re: A win for my little part of the world :)

The pro flouride councillor who is quoted at the end of the article has put forward a motion to take the activist who lodged the legal challenge to get it into the court, back to court to sue for court costs of $100,000.
    The activist in question is just an older 'hippie' chap with no money... so it would be blood from a stone. She is getting zero support for her motion
    Said councillor also just happens to be on the board of the water supply company.

+ Reply to Thread