+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dear Religious (And Sane) America article Huffington Post

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member Victoria Tintagel's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb Dear Religious (And Sane) America article Huffington Post

Hello Avalonians, a new wave or....a sign at the start of Awakening as One, maybe?
    Mind and heart entwined in religion? Hmmmm! Cheers, Tint.

HUFFINGTON POST www.huffingtonpost.com
    Paul Raushenbush
    Religion Editor for the Huffington Post
    Posted: February 24, 2010 10:17 AM

Dear Religious (and sane) America,

Come out, come out where ever you are and welcome to HuffPost Religion -- your new home for opinions, news and wisdom from across the religious spectrum. HuffPost Religion is dedicated to providing a provocative, respectful, and hopefully productive forum for addressing the ways in which religion intersects our personal, communal, national and international life. HuffPost Religion will demonstrate the vibrant diversity of religious traditions, perspectives and experiences that exist alongside and inform one another in America and throughout the world.

For too long strident voices on the religious right have become synonymous with the influence of religion in the public sphere, and they have been countered by equally strident voices on the atheist side who denigrate religious people and their traditions. HuffPost Religion hopes to offer a sane middle way for people who wish to approach religion with both heart and mind, and who believe we can have disagreements without demonization. HuffPost Religion will provide a more accurate representation of the wide range of concerns held by religious people, and dispel the myth that religious people have only one stance on the controversial issues of the day such as health care, immigration, abortion and gay rights. Throughout history, religious people have been on the front lines of many civil rights issues; and even the separation of church and state was a principle insisted upon by Baptists to protect religious freedom (a blatant shout out to my own denomination).

Wherever you stand on the merits of religion, or whatever your personal religious practice -- there is no question that religion plays a crucial role in how humans make meaning, create community, act politically, and find mandates for how to live a good life. HuffPost Religion is dedicated to providing a provocative yet respectful forum for how religion is and should be functioning.

Now for some, the very fact that HuffPost has a religion section will be a source of surprise, or even dismay. A response from grumpyfarmer 33 to a post I wrote about moving your money says it well:

"Now I have seen it all, the Huff post asking what would be the correct thing to do from a religious standpoint. I absolutely agree with the author, but cannot believe I am seeing this on the Huff post."

Well, grumpy -- believe it. Religion is not new on the Huffington Post. There have been over 100 excellent writers, clergy and academics who have regularly covered religion over the past years on Huffington Post. The "religious standpoint" clearly has a lot to say about the world, and provides a unique, and often absent perspective to any conversation. Some HuffPost regulars will find all this talk about religion irrelevant, but according to recent census data 87 percent of Americans describe themselves as religious. To leave that many Americans out of the conversation is to have a narrow scope indeed, and is a fatal political calculation. I expect some of the most interesting conversations will be between people who are theists and atheists, and that will be great! But please, let's be civil. As a start, it would help if religious people acknowledge that non-religious people can be moral, and if atheist people would acknowledge that religious people can be intelligent. Hopefully these truisms will become evident as HuffPost Religion provides a way for people to hear from one another.

So consider yourself invited to participate by blogging, commenting, reflecting and acting upon what you see on HuffPost Religion. We are in a crucial time. As my friend Eboo Patel from the Interfaith Youth Core, and new blogger on HuffPost Religion, has said: "The 20th century was focused on the question of race; the 21st century must be focused on the question of religion." The question of religion requires that we increase our knowledge of people who are different than ourselves in terms of religious practice and belief. That includes interfaith relations as well as intra faith dialogue -- which can be even more difficult.

We must talk about religion, because to not talk about it leaves the conversation to those who only emphasize conflict between religions, or who use religion as a device to incite, divide or destroy. Yet religion, when at its best, can be a source of great strength, motivation and insight. I look forward to being a part of this conversation with you and welcome your thoughts and suggestions. You can reach me at praushenbush@huffingtonpost.com.

Peace,
    Paul Brandeis Raushenbush
    Religion Editor
    Huffington Post

Jon Stewart has hopped aboard Huffington Post Religion's sanity bandwagon with his Rally to Restore Sanity on the National Mall.

“I’m mad as hell, and I’m not going to take it anymore!”

Who among us has not wanted to open their window and shout that at the top of their lungs?

Seriously, who?

Because we’re looking for those people. We’re looking for the people who think shouting is annoying, counterproductive, and terrible for your throat; who feel that the loudest voices shouldn’t be the only ones that get heard; and who believe that the only time it’s appropriate to draw a Hitler mustache on someone is when that person is actually Hitler. Or Charlie Chaplin in certain roles.

Are you one of those people? Excellent. Then we’d like you to join us in Washington, DC on October 30 — a date of no significance whatsoever — at the Daily Show’s “Rally to Restore Sanity.”

Ours is a rally for the people who’ve been too busy to go to rallies, who actually have lives and families and jobs (or are looking for jobs) — not so much the Silent Majority as the Busy Majority. If we had to sum up the political view of our participants in a single sentence… we couldn’t. That’s sort of the point.

Think of our event as Woodstock, but with the nudity and drugs replaced by respectful disagreement; the Million Man March, only a lot smaller, and a bit less of a sausage fest; or the Gathering of the Juggalos, but instead of throwing our feces at Tila Tequila, we’ll be actively *not* throwing our feces at Tila Tequila. Join us in the shadow of the Washington Monument. And bring your indoor voice. Or don’t. If you’d rather stay home, go to work, or drive your kids to soccer practice… Actually, please come anyway. Ask the sitter if she can stay a few extra hours, just this once. We’ll make it worth your while.
    Last edited by Victoria Tintagel; 6th October 2010 at 17:52. Reason: Correction double line

2. Link to Post #2
    Cayman Islands Deactivated
    Thanks

Default Re: Dear Religious (And Sane) America article Huffington Post

A new wave because the online newspaper added a Religion section? I don't get it.

--sjkted

3. Link to Post #3
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member Victoria Tintagel's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Dear Religious (And Sane) America article Huffington Post

Hey sjkted, well, the "new wave" isn't the online newspaper added a Religion section, it's the way and motive to include Mind and Heart into it, by the editor of that section.
    That's the new wave....or whatever you wanna call it...for me...a change in the attitude towards the strict and humourless way religion is lived by many people.
    My father was a preacher, I learned from an early age that people (my father) don't walk their talk always.....and that made me furious! It's very revealing when my father is talking about all kind of goodies and tips and trics in the Bible, and in real life wasn't emotionally grown up. My family was blown apart due to quarrels inside the church, a Christian Reformed Institute. Simply by difference of viewpoint, families decided to avoid each other, shops had to close as the owner was shunned away....such indifference and cold hearts! Well, deep down of course fearful hearts and ignorance of joy for life. That has been a great lesson for me.....and the free expression of feelings within a church is a huge portal that is opening.
    And that's what I mean by "a new wave..." a movement in energy.
    I realise I am gone completely off topic here but this personal story is actually an example of how fixed religion can be, you see sjkted? Hope I answered your question? Cheers, Tint.

+ Reply to Thread