+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you think schizophrenic people are mentally ill.....

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Do you think schizophrenic people are mentally ill.....

Is hearing voices a mental illness? If more people listened to the silence would they also hear the voices. They say if ancient tribes if some one showed signs of hearing voices he would be put in training to be a Shaman. But I guess our society deals with it differently.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AMystic3434 For This Post:

AriG (11th December 2013), Miller (10th December 2013), raregem (11th December 2013), ulli (11th December 2013), watchZEITGEISTnow (10th December 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 times in 403 posts

Default Re: Do you think schizophrenic people are mentally ill.....

I'd imagine there's different circumstances, some definitely involving mental illness, wouldn't you? It would be irresponsible to say anything else. And some societies killed those who heard voices, no?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Them For This Post:

Ivanhoe (10th December 2013), RMorgan (10th December 2013), ulli (11th December 2013), watchZEITGEISTnow (10th December 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

Define mental illness. I would say that western society is largely mentally ill, at least many of our leaders are certainly insane.

I think that schizophrenic people might be tuned in to other dimensions and they have no control over it, there are good spirits and then there are not so good spirits talking to them. Spiritually empty and confused western society doesn't understand the phenomenon so people who hear voices will be pumped full of medicines and they will be locked up to a nuthouse. I've seen it firsthand and from what I hear, some of the people in the mental institutions are actually more enlightened than the doctors who treat them.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

6. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (10th December 2013), Abhaya (10th December 2013), AMystic3434 (10th December 2013), Arak (10th December 2013), AriG (11th December 2013), avid (10th December 2013), delfine (10th December 2013), Hazel (10th December 2013), Heart-2-Heart (10th December 2013), Jackson (11th December 2013), Kalamos (10th December 2013), lelmaleh (10th December 2013), Miller (10th December 2013), Nickolai (10th December 2013), Spiral of Light (10th December 2013), Swanette (11th December 2013), ulli (11th December 2013), watchZEITGEISTnow (10th December 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,809 times in 819 posts

Last edited by Mu2143; 19th March 2015 at 02:02.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mu2143 For This Post:

ponda (11th December 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,809 times in 819 posts

Last edited by Mu2143; 19th March 2015 at 02:01.

10. Link to Post #6
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,127 times in 3,536 posts

Come on man...

Do you really know what schizophrenia is?

Hallucinations (visual, auditory, tactile, gustatory) are just part of the symptoms.

Schizophrenia is much bigger than that....It's a terrible and extremely sad disease.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.schizophrenia.com/diag.php

Please, do some research before making such kinds of posts.

Only people who deal with schizophrenia inside their families know how terrible this sickness really is...Only those who have witnessed how it transforms perfectly normal people into complete lunatics, in a matter of months, know what schizophrenia really is.

Anyway, if you don't "believe" schizophrenic people are mentally ill, just go to a mental hospital and ask to see their schizophrenic patients. Many of these hospitals are open to visitations; Socialization is often part of their therapy.
    Last edited by RMorgan; 10th December 2013 at 12:34.

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

avid (10th December 2013), blufire (11th December 2013), Chanlo23 (10th December 2013), Elainie (11th December 2013), fourty-two (10th December 2013), Heyoka_11 (10th December 2013), Ivanhoe (10th December 2013), Kalamos (10th December 2013), Mulder (11th December 2013), northstar (10th December 2013), Strat (10th December 2013), Them (10th December 2013)

12. Link to Post #7
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Good question, an even better question is why is there a 3th ear present, like why is there a 3th eye present.

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 times in 293 posts

Quote Posted by Wind (here)
    Define mental illness. I would say that western society is largely mentally ill, at least many of our leaders are certainly insane.

I think that schizophrenic people might be tuned in to other dimensions and they have no control over it, there are good spirits and then there are not so good spirits talking to them. Spiritually empty and confused western society doesn't understand the phenomenon so people who hear voices will be pumped full of medicines and they will be locked up to a nuthouse. I've seen it firsthand and from what I hear, some of the people in the mental institutions are actually more enlightened than the doctors who treat them.
    Was about to answer something like this, but Wind said it perfectlyalready. I just might add that people who hear voices actually HEAR those voices. They are not just imagination as their ear sensory parts of the brain activate as like someone "real" talking to them.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arak For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (10th December 2013), Wind (10th December 2013)

15. Link to Post #9
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Is hearing voices a mental illness?
    If that person is not in control of the "on/off" button, it is.

16. Link to Post #10
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,574 times in 692 posts

Responsibly and well said

Quote Posted by 778 neighbour of some guy (here)

And so it is...
    Last edited by Hazel; 10th December 2013 at 12:46.

17. Link to Post #11
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,728 times in 1,427 posts

Here's a wonderful video from Eleanor Longden for those who haven't already seen it:

One of the things that Eleanor points out in her book, "Learning from the voices in my head", is that there is no diagnosis for mental illness, which is purely a Psychiatrist's opinion. She further points out that 30 years ago there were only a small number of mental disorders, but today there are hundreds of others and the list is growing daily. Theoretically any of us could be sectioned. Here is a link to the Wikipaedia list of mental illnesses and disorders.

Whether schizophrenia is a mental illness or not, it is certainly misunderstood by most of us.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men...habetical_list)
    Last edited by Miller; 10th December 2013 at 13:05.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (10th December 2013), aranuk (10th December 2013), AriG (11th December 2013), avid (10th December 2013), Gardener (11th December 2013), Nickolai (10th December 2013), Spiral of Light (10th December 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (10th December 2013)

19. Link to Post #12
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,127 times in 3,536 posts

Just watch this short video and take your own conclusions if schizophrenia is a mental illness or not...

Four Patients with Schizophrenia

Raf.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

AriG (11th December 2013), Chanlo23 (10th December 2013), ghostrider (11th December 2013), Miller (10th December 2013), Mulder (11th December 2013), northstar (10th December 2013), seko (13th December 2013), Them (15th December 2013)

21. Link to Post #13
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,663 times in 349 posts

Quote Posted by 778 neighbour of some guy (here)
    I think that kind of captures it. I have a step-dad who has been institutionalized for many years due to schizophrenia. My sister, his daughter, has been diagnosed with bi-polar and is in the hospital as of about 2 weeks ago for the third time since her original diagnoses several years ago. In her case, her ex-husband uses it to keep their daughter away from her. Then I have another friend and mentor from many years ago who had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and had been suffering for many years and was not doing well even with medication. Now, I'm not sayin anything here folks. But, in her case, she went to a very good Shamanic Practitioner who did some serious work in the spirit world for her, and I can tell you from my own personal experience of having known her many years that she no longer suffers from any type of mental illness (and takes no medications).

In my step-dads case, I can tell you that when our mom died in 1993 we all went to her house I guess for a period of grieving and supporting one another. At this time, my step-dad pulls out an old photo album. Okay, no big deal. People reminisce and that's fairly normal, but then he gets to these pictures from his childhood. His dad used to beat the you know what out of him and THEN took pictures of the abuse. So, he has these pictures in there of himself at about 6-8 years old with black eyes, cuts and abrasions on his face, and he's showing them to us like no big deal. So, of course, yes, perfectly seemingly normal people can and do in many cases probably develop mental illnesses that really do have a component of imbalance in the brain or a brain injury. I did get a degree in psychology so I do know a little bit about how the brain works. I have also taken a different approach when talking to him (although it's been many years since I did talk to him). When he started on his "crazy talk", like saying my nephew is possessed by the devil and on and on, I just ask him to tell the voices, since they have nothing good to say, to shut the F up. Everybody else just acts so weird around him, like walking on egg shells. Plus, according to his daughter, she thinks he's actually getting well, which does sometimes happen after many years of suffering in their older years to just not have any symptoms anymore. Then there are even some cases that have a dietary component that can mimic many symptoms. So, I would just say, one diagnoses can mean many different possible causes. One size does not fit all. At least so far in my experience. I've actually known quite a few people who suffer from this terrible condition.
    Last edited by spiritwind; 10th December 2013 at 12:52.

22. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to spiritwind For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (10th December 2013), avid (10th December 2013), Chanlo23 (10th December 2013), Delight (10th December 2013), Gardener (11th December 2013), GloriousPoetry (11th December 2013), Hervé (10th December 2013), lelmaleh (10th December 2013), Miller (10th December 2013), northstar (10th December 2013), raregem (11th December 2013), RMorgan (10th December 2013), seko (13th December 2013), Spiral of Light (10th December 2013), Wind (10th December 2013)

23. Link to Post #14
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

I have a friend who suffers from this and yes its a mental illness.
    If he takes the medicine its manageable--if he rebels or forgets to take then he locks himself away and dosent answer the phone.
    I had to get the Police out twice to check he was still alive --then he got sectioned (mental hospital) until balanced again.
    When he is on the medicine a nicer guy you could not wish to have as a fiend--more normal than most.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

avid (10th December 2013), Chanlo23 (10th December 2013), Heart-2-Heart (10th December 2013), Miller (10th December 2013), northstar (10th December 2013), RMorgan (10th December 2013), seko (13th December 2013), Them (10th December 2013), Wind (10th December 2013)

25. Link to Post #15
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by w1ndmill (here)
    Here's a wonderful video from Eleanor Longden for those who haven't already seen it:

One of the things that Eleanor points out in her book, "Learning from the voices in my head", is that there is no diagnosis for mental illness, which is purely a Psychiatrist's opinion. Se further points out that 30 years ago there were only a small number of "mental", but today there are hundreds of others and the list is growing daily. Theoretically any of us could be sectioned. Here is a link to the Wikipaedia list of mental illnesses and disorders.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men...habetical_list)
    Voila, the perspective that is ALSO needed, better yet, once deciphered the code behind the messages from her innermost being, they can also do your homework for you, so not only in this example does it voice grievances or is just observing, it has its own conciseness outside of space and time, giving the answers to exam questions means access to the answers, so did she study well and did it use her own memory flawlessly or does it roam around in libraries or other minds digging for something usefull, or can it be called digging if it a straightforward form of communication or just consciousness osmosis , this is very very interesting, ah well, in her case it worked out great, she needs students. If an on/off button cant be found or created the least one can do is establish a good form of communication, if that doesn't work or seems to be to scary or to much work, then there's always medication as a last resort.

Imagine if this is EXACTLY what scares the living sh!t out of tptb, wouldn't surprise me one bit to be honest, this time she got the answers to her exams, what would happen if she was presented with a whole new set of questions, INTERESTING.

26. Link to Post #16
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Part of the key is in here imo.

Quote In my step-dads case, I can tell you that when our mom died in 1993 we all went to her house I guess for a period of grieving and supporting one another. At this time, my step-dad pulls out an old photo album. Okay, no big deal. People reminisce and that's fairly normal, but then he gets to these pictures from his childhood. His dad used to beat the you know what out of him and THEN took pictures of the abuse. So, he has these pictures in there of himself at about 6-8 years old with black eyes, cuts and abrasions on his face, and he's showing them to us like no big deal. So, of course, yes, perfectly seemingly normal people can and do in many cases probably develop mental illnesses that really do have a component of imbalance in the brain or a brain injury. I did get a degree in psychology so I do know a little bit about how the brain works. I have also taken a different approach when talking to him (although it's been many years since I did talk to him). When he started on his "crazy talk", like saying my nephew is possessed by the devil and on and on, I just ask him to tell the voices, since they have nothing good to say, to shut the F up. Everybody else just acts so weird around him, like walking on egg shells. Plus, according to his daughter, she thinks he's actually getting well, which does sometimes happen after many years of suffering in their older years to just not have any symptoms anymore. Then there are even some cases that have a dietary component that can mimic many symptoms. So, I would just say, one diagnoses can mean many different possible causes. One size does not fit all. At least so far in my experience. I've actually known quite a few people who suffer from this terrible condition.
    In this sentence I mean

Quote When he started on his "crazy talk", like saying my nephew is possessed by the devil and on and on, I just ask him to tell the voices, since they have nothing good to say, to shut the F up.
    Anything that doesn't shut the F up or doesn't understand when its overloading you and cant hear NO, is not a friend, but just talking thrash and that IS a problem, and a very potentially destructive one.

27. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,345 times in 8,331 posts

To be well adjusted to a sick society is to be sick yourself.

Animals in Zoos display many signs of mental illnesses. Why should we be any different?
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

28. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (10th December 2013), AriG (11th December 2013), avid (10th December 2013), Hervé (10th December 2013), Lefty Dave (11th December 2013), Miller (10th December 2013), ponda (11th December 2013), RMorgan (10th December 2013), seko (13th December 2013), Shezbeth (10th December 2013), Wind (10th December 2013), Zelig (12th December 2013)

29. Link to Post #18
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,898 times in 15,481 posts

Yeah, yeah, yeah... "mental illness" created by MKultra, satanists, psychiatrists, hypnotists, ETs, etc... so, sure, therefore it is an illness since we have a "cause" whether hypnotist, MKultra Mengele, etc... or kids on a computer console. How long do you think split personalities have been created by "satanists"/shamans/high priests on this earth and elsewhere?

Before anyone jumps on their high horses, I am not saying there isn't a CONDITION that's disturbing and destructive; what I am saying is that it ain't a "disease"/"illness" like a broken bone which can be fixed by surgery... or malaria with a few drops of MMS.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (10th December 2013), AriG (11th December 2013), Miller (10th December 2013), ponda (11th December 2013), Wind (10th December 2013)

31. Link to Post #19
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Amzer Zo (here)
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... "mental illness" created by MKultra, satanists, psychiatrists, hypnotists, ETs, etc... so, sure, therefore it is an illness since we have a "cause" whether hypnotist, MKultra Mengele, etc... or kids on a computer console. How long do you think split personalities have been created by "satanists"/shamans/high priests on this earth and elsewhere?

Before anyone jumps on their high horses, I am not saying there isn't a CONDITION that's disturbing and destructive; what I am saying is that it ain't a "disease"/"illness" like a broken bone which can be fixed by surgery... or malaria with a few drops of MMS.
    Besides all of the above, we could very well be dealing with a normal unfocussed and consciously underexplored function of the human mind, ever caught your cat looking at you weird or at the empty spot on the couch, what the F are they looking at when they do that, dogs do the same things btw, but anyway, when I would have a condition like schizophrenia ( you are not a schizophrenic, you have it, its a condition, not a walking freak of nature) and I would NOT be able to manage it whatever the cause of the condition might be, I assume I would call it a disease, if I for whatever reason WOULD be able to control and handle it, its not a disease at all, its a function, whether I would be interested in exploring it any further or just be satisfied with having control over it would be a completely different matter.

Since I am somewhat of a pragmatic bastard, my question would be, "Hey, what's in it for me man?", if the answer would be to my satisfaction, well I'll be damned, I have a new hobby, what can I do with this sh!t.

I'd have a LOT of questions, like ok Hi there, tell me about my body, what does it need to function optimally, what does my mind need to function properly, how can I dump emotional ballast fast painless and efficiently, only then when reasonably clear and clean would I start tackling the bigger questions I have. Sigh wouldn't that scenario be nice, a searchbar in your mind, I would call it Shmoogle, my Precious.
    Last edited by 778 neighbour of some guy; 10th December 2013 at 15:26.

32. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,062 times in 775 posts

Quote Posted by AMystic3434 (here)
    Is hearing voices a mental illness? If more people listened to the silence would they also hear the voices. They say if ancient tribes if some one showed signs of hearing voices he would be put in training to be a Shaman. But I guess our society deals with it differently.
    I have been thinking the same thing recently. My daughter is learning about schizophrenia in A-level psychology at the moment, and it seems like an odd illness as it has so many different criteria. In the USA more people are diagnosed than in the UK because the list of associated symptoms is bigger in the USA than in UK criteria. Once or twice I have heard different voices loud and clear in my head - just as I'm dropping off to sleep. I think other factors are involved.
    Last edited by Becky; 10th December 2013 at 14:40.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast