+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 8 12 LastLast

Thread: Brainscans and prisoners: Outing the sociopaths and the domino effect

1. Link to Post #141
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,159 times in 13,484 posts

Default Re: Brainscans and prisoners: Outing the sociopaths and the domino effect

Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    Quote Posted by ulli (here)
    When WW2 was over historians analysed that the Germans, the Japanese and the Italians did it all.
    Of course not every single one, but hey, collectively they allowed their psychopathic leaders to
    do it.

So Carmody, being an analytical guy, figured out that something needs to be done now,
    before that WW2 situation gets repeated on an even larger scale.

So since psychopaths have this ambitious nature to prevail over others at all cost,
    using all sorts of means to make it to the top,
    where they can exercise power without opposition,
    he wants to save the world from a fate it does not deserve.
    This does not necessarily make him sociopath.

He did not attack anyone personally,
    but I do see that some people here CHOSE to take offence.

Like me, being German, could now get all huffed at anyone who ever said
    that 'The Germans' caused WW2, yet I choose not to take it , as I can see a bigger picture, beyond personal,
    beyond my little ego, and so I see no need to defend myself.

This is a choice which I consciously make, and which redeems me of my inherent psychopathy.
    At least for the time being. (hehe...)
    Look Ulli, I've always liked you. What's not to like. You are a rock solid Avalon Matriarch. That being said, you tend to show favor with your affections to those who frequent your "HERE AND NOW" thread.
    And as much as I do, I really do like you, this tends to create a highschool like atmosphere where the kids at the cool table are constantly taking up for one another.
    I call it like I see it and you are better than this.

Because being as intelligent as you obviously are, you have to acknowledge that the OP has not taken kindly to folks who have had a difference of opinion on this thread. And I'm sure if you looked with honesty and impartiality you would see that to be the case.

Or you could CHOOSE not to see this.
    It's not so much that I am biased....actually, it is the other way around.
    The people who frequent the here and now thread have something in common,
    to do with a vision which can actually reverse the trends that are going on worldwide...
    and what we back up is not so much one another, although it would look like that to anyone who still doesn't see the big picture the way we see it.
    I try to respect anyone and everyone.
    And that includes sociopaths.

My take on what Carmody is doing here is not so much to go to war against ALL sociopaths,
    but those who are in a position to control the entire globe.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

anonymous (23rd January 2014), Carmody (23rd January 2014), DNA (23rd January 2014), Flash (23rd January 2014), Mad Hatter (23rd January 2014), PurpleLama (23rd January 2014), Sierra (24th January 2014), Wind (28th January 2014)

3. Link to Post #142
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,159 times in 13,484 posts

Default Re: Brainscans and prisoners: Outing the sociopaths and the domino effect

One more thing...forums are about ideas, more than individuals.
    But there are many forum members who are just beginning to formulate their own ideas,
    throwing out parental and society"s programs, in order to replace them with their own chosen programs.

Such a process works when accompanied by great insights, which are healing to an individual, and help them develop identity.
    But during these transitional periods the self is in as precarious a state as the planet is now as a whole.
    Just as individuals feel the need to protect their personal space, so the global elite are trying to protect the earth
    (the way they see it), as there the perceived enemy is the uncontrolled overpopulation, or ET or whatever.

Its all the same thing, just at a different scale.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Agape (23rd January 2014), anonymous (23rd January 2014), Carmody (23rd January 2014), Flash (23rd January 2014), Mad Hatter (23rd January 2014), PurpleLama (23rd January 2014), Sierra (24th January 2014), Wind (28th January 2014)

5. Link to Post #143
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,728 times in 4,313 posts

Quote Posted by sdv (here)
    Psychopathy:

Here's a test: http://www.arkancide.com/psychopathy.htm

Quote A prototypical psychopath would receive a maximum score of 40, while someone with absolutely no psychopathic traits or tendencies would receive a score of zero. A score of 30 or above qualifies a person for a diagnosis of psychopathy. People with no criminal backgrounds normally score around 5. Many non-psychopathic criminal offenders score around 22.
    Confessions of a Sociopath, an interesting insight into the mind of a sociopath: http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...ions-sociopath

Interesting that MRI studies show a difference in the brain of a paedophile (emphasis added by me):

Quote So far, three research groups have published structural MRI studies of pedophiles: my own group at CAMH in Canada (Cantor et al., 2008), and two other groups, both in Germany (Schiffer et al., 2007; Schiltz et al., 2007). The CAMH team compared large groups of pedophilic men with men who committed nonsexual offenses; we found that the pedophilic men had significantly less tissue in two wide-spread regions of the brain. These two regions (called the superior fronto-occipital fasciculus and the right arcuate fasciculus) are not at all what previous researchers had expected to find (including us). Instead of being in charge of any specific function of the brain (such as self-control or sexual response), these particular brain structures are made up of “cables” (or axons) that connect other brain regions. This suggests the possibility that sexual attraction to children versus adults is not caused by some difference in any one region of the brain, but in the way that multiple regions work together. Neuroscientists refer to this as a partial “disconnection syndrome.”

When comparing pedophilic and nonpedophilic men, one must remain careful not to confuse cause with effect. That is, one must consider carefully whether the brain differences we detected cause pedophilia or whether some aspect of being pedophilic caused the brain differences. Previous research findings suggests that it is more likely for the brain differences to be causing pedophilia than for the other way around: Although it is now known that certain brain structures respond to environmental stimulation, such as the motor cortex, there is no evidence that such stimulation causes any changes in the superior fronto-occipital fasciculus or right arcuate fasciculus (the brain regions in which pedophiles and nonpedophiles differ). Moreover, the brain regions we identified are extremely large, and no previous research has ever found changes in such large regions of the brain. As an analogy, physical exercise will generally stimulate one’s muscle tissue to grow, but one would not grow an extra arm; neurological changes occur only in a very specific manner
    The second body of research suggesting that brain differences are not effects of pedophilia is that pedophilic men have up to three times of the odds of being left-handed (or being ambidextrous) than do non-pedophilic men (Bogaert, 2001; Cantor, Blanchard, Christensen, Dickey, Klassen, Beckstead, Blak, & Kuban, 2004; Cantor, Klassen, Dickey, Christensen, Kuban, Blak, Williams, & Blanchard, 2005). Handedness is determined by brain organization and is determined largely before birth (fetuses show a hand-preference for thumb-sucking that is observable on sonograms; Hepper, Shahidullah, & White, 1991; Hepper, Wells, & Lynch, 2005). This indicates that at least some important differences in brain organization existed in pedophilic individuals long before they engaged in any pedophilic behaviors. Thus, although it remains possible that environment influences interacted with the differences in the brain, the simpler interpretation of these findings is that some factor was present, early in development, that affected brain development in a way that caused the handedness differences, pedophilia, and the other brain-related characteristics that have been found in pedophiles (such as lower than average IQs; Cantor, Blanchard, Robichaud, & Christensen, 2005).

There are also important implications of what we did not find. We did not find any group differences in the parts of the brain that are known to relate to self-control or impulsivity. That is, we found no evidence to suggest that pedophilic men have a neurological reason to be less capable of controlling their behaviors than are men who commit nonsexual crimes. Although it is never possible to completely rule out the possibility that pedophiles suffer from an impulsivity problem, our project used very large samples (relative to most MRI research) and powerful statistical techniques. So, if pedophilic men do suffer from a neurological problem in self-control, it is likely to be either small or a type of problem that is invisible to conventional MRI.

Although we found the brain differences to occur in a large proportion of the brain, the magnitudes of the differences were statistically “moderate.” That is, the structural MRI differences were reliable enough for studying groups of pedophiles for research, but they were not reliable enough for the assessment of individuals for clinical purposes. It remains possible, however, that functional MRI could be used clinically to distinguish pedophilic from nonpedophilic men. http://individual.utoronto.ca/james_cantor/blog2.html
    These MRI studies of psychopathy (sociopaths), paedophilia, et al are very interesting. I suppose what the purpose of this thread is to discuss what we should do with this information.

Personally, I support the ''draw a line in the sand'' principle, e.g. as a society, worldwide, we decide that we regard child rape (statutory rape) as unacceptable human behaviour, so if you do this you are no longer welcome to live among us and will spend the rest of your life in jail, separated from others (lots of people in jails are not psychopaths or paedophiles and are just serving punishment for being caught breaking a rule, which is often only a rule in that region, so once they have done their time, they will become part of wider society again). Same for first-degree murder.

The research indicates that lack of control is not the problem with paedophiles. They seem to react/respond in the same way that a man (with varying degrees of shyness/boldness, awkwardness/charm, success/failure) would do with a woman/man he found attractive, except they do it with children.

Apologies, as I do not want to take the discussion away from sociopaths (psychopathy), and I think the problem of how to use the MRI studies to protect society from the havoc these people wreak is a much more tricky one.

I do favour the idea that many people in prison are there because they are being punished for a transgression (which may not be considered a transgression in another region) and are therefore a part of normal society. Do they not deserve protection from the harm that sociopaths can cause?
    I find your post here quite intriguing.
    I am of the belief that the folks you speak of here have a dark entity working through them.
    It is not a scientific belief, but it is still my belief.
    Science has not been able, to my knowledge, view non-corporeal entities manipulating people, but I find the thought intriguing to no end that the effects of a dark entity's attachment may show up in the physical brain in terms of electrical discharges.

It's only a vague hypothesis, but what if an MRI could detect the physical changes that take place in a human brain due to a Non-Organic Energy Parasite?

This may lead to interesting findings. Some of which may be that people who are termed "sociopaths" may make a better host for said entities.

We may learn that it is not a person being a sociopath that is the problem, we may learn that it just turns out sociopaths make better hosts for dark entities.

And thus we would be led to the contents of this article here.

THE INTER-DIMENSIONAL ENTITIES BEHIND THE DARK AGENDA THAT IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD!

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

anonymous (23rd January 2014), Antagenet (4th April 2014), Carmody (23rd January 2014), Christine (23rd January 2014), Mad Hatter (23rd January 2014), PurpleLama (23rd January 2014), sdv (23rd January 2014), Sierra (24th January 2014), ulli (23rd January 2014)

7. Link to Post #144
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,241 times in 4,595 posts

Quote Posted by David Michael (here)
    I am not even stating my opinion really, just food for thought sort of statement.

See, if 'they' revise the prison system, specifically intake and classification (as pertaining to the 'sociopath brain') as we are discussing, then some people made an internal change as well. The people running the prison system are sociopaths, you can bet. lol.

I think you are very mistaken claiming you 'used' to have my belief system. You have only seen a very small part of my belief system, and it seems to me that you have misinterpreted it…

So, are you saying, you have 'evolved' past me spiritually etc? This is fine, just want to clarify what exactly you are saying.

I am a sociopath, if you 'test' me. So I cannot change? Should I be in prison? No, you are saying that my brain is still the same and may take millennia? Well, I still think I can do good, as a sociopath… you are not going to tell me I can't, and that my opinion has not 'evolved' because of this mindset.

Perhaps we misunderstand each other

my 'belief system' is constantly being revised, as I go along. Please do not say things like ' I am not ready to revise it ', I am always open to. ARE YOU?

All I was saying is that we can't lock up ALL the sociopaths in prison. This itself, WOULD BE WRONG. If you disagree with that, then fine =P

Hi Mike. Pardon my wording but you've put yourself on their plate here and ask them to help to sort you out , on forum.
    I know personally that many people here do care about you and love you .. if you feel bad, stick with a friend , be honest , open in private , try to tackle reality problems and find solutions.

As Ulli remarked, the forum is not the safest, healthiest environment for sorting you, in front of about 1000 other people .
    Many of us have personal experience with how wrong it may feel . Many more people who sign in to forums simply never come to fronts at the end
    because this moral, emotional and rational barrier we all have and have to respect when being among the larger society .

We'd have to ask Carmody to change the title of this thread , though the thread was started in good will and carries meaning that was understood among some of us
    but may sound equally confusing to the larger audience.

You're right there . Sociopathy does not equal criminal behaviour , firstly and secondly is quite difficult to define ,
    and I believe that biological and social definitions of 'sociopathy' or 'psychopathy' would differ .

If you insist on being sociopath simply because you differ from the rest of the collective and can't find way with them easily ,
    it depends equally on you and the collective but it does not mean that you necessarily have 'pathological relationship' to the 'society' .

Pathological relationship ..

can be defined as anything anomalous and enormous, such as hatred, homophobia, racism, extreme nationalism , religious or even scientific fanaticism that ;blocks' your communication with certain parts or even whole of society ,

pathological relationship..

can look like extreme attachment to crowds, groups, adoration , forms of communication, behaviours , in another words it can look like 'love' without rational borders

it can also be defined as extreme self-centredness and identification with immature roles and archetypes of beings and their behaviours ..

There are many types of socio-pathies in every society till today , it's extremely hard to prevent them turning to drastic events , that's why this thread was started after all .

If you think you may need some personal assistance there are couple of good people to approach here , maybe - maybe not , don't give up trying but do not put your worthy self on plate here ,
    since it only serves as 'tasty chunks' to predators and people who think they have immediate answers and would it solve it much easier than possible.

Peace

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

anonymous (23rd January 2014), Carmody (23rd January 2014), Mad Hatter (23rd January 2014), OnyxKnight (25th January 2014), PurpleLama (23rd January 2014), ulli (23rd January 2014)

9. Link to Post #145
    Germany Avalon Member christian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,119 times in 2,959 posts

First of all, people should be judged by their deeds. Pre-crime punishment sounds rather suppressive to me. However, if we have the means to learn more about ourselves and others, it is certainly a good idea to do so, to gather all knowledge. Here's how I think it could work, considering the bigger picture of where I see humanity headed towards, if there's going to be a genuinely positive evolution:

In a free society, people are first of all self-responsible, there's no overly powerful position or institution anyways, so there's little room for the abuse of institutional power. Still, there would of course be some kind of organizational effort that requires certain groups or individuals to coordinate that. How about everybody who wants to be in any way part of this making brain scans voluntarily, transparently, and publicly, for all to see? Then, the people can still decide whether or not they consider a particular person appropriate for this or that, considering the brain scan results but also everything else.

If we simply separate people according to the results of the brain scans—which would only be done with today's state of the art technology, mind that—I feel certain that we would be painting with a too broad brush. I mean, such a technology may well be helpful, but it is certainly not the pinnacle of discernment and empowerment.

While having a conversation about how to facilitate a more harmonic coexistence, don't forget to also read, write, think, and act between the lines. Any revolution or shift that is brought about along with words and thoughts of contempt or preemptive violent action (that is not in self-defense against an actual aggression) must fail eventually. Even the best intentions won't ensure success if one doesn't tread carefully.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to christian For This Post:

anonymous (23rd January 2014), Carmody (23rd January 2014), Christine (23rd January 2014), DNA (23rd January 2014), Jake (23rd January 2014), Jeffrey (23rd January 2014), Mad Hatter (23rd January 2014), ulli (23rd January 2014), Wind (28th January 2014)

11. Link to Post #146
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,316 times in 10,234 posts

I thank everyone for their contributions so far. This is the sort of scrutiny that such ideas must be held up to. If it can survive such waters. And other concerns. Such as it may be a terrific idea, but for some, to understand that there are groups that exist...who would desire to kill the idea and most specifically it's spread, in the crib, as soon as possible.

since this is a written forum, the personal interactive are missing and much of what we try to get across, will be lost.

To remind folks, possibly, of a study done long before about written communications. That in such communications, the best we can average, is about 10% of the intent and meaning that is in our minds and body.

This, as corollary, or looked at from the other most paranoid and simplistic side of it, means that implantation can be initiated in written communication ....as 90% of the internal intent is missing.

To not place or build intent into what I'm saying with the fill that comes in from one's own mind... and for me to not do the same. and so on.

I'm principally talking about a toolset that becomes a norm of sorts that is a greater gauntlet and set of hoops that those who try to manipulate this planet for their own desires, that those beings will have to publicly and openly pass some difficult tests. That those tests will, for a time, damage their capacity to do ill to humanity. Like anything else, those hoops and gauntlets will eventually be circumvented, in one way or another.

Humanity must rise to the complexity of the situation that is in front of it, or die on the vine in what appears to be a trend into a three level caste system of genetics and awareness.

To prevent the enablers and fixers of a very horrific system of repression. One that is moving toward a serf class of permanent genetic disabling and mechanical repetition and death into infinity, basically permanence in being an organic machine...to prevent that mechanism's continuance.... this enabler and fixer class of beings needs to be shut down.

For humanity as a whole, to gain an understanding in their undercurrent of awareness, that cranial wiring is on the list of issues that is causal and related to the world's issues. It is known in scientific circles, that it is coming into being as an understanding in that venue, but to become a norm in humanity's local individual and overall context of how life is lived and flows.

To move further from the animal/body response and more into a holistic understanding of the complexity of self and how this plays out in the greater whole, and what challenges lie in this new world of incredible technological feats and heights. We all here, seem to understand the point that Monsanto is planned and enacted genetic damage and death, from a dark and nefarious inner circle of intentional death and downturn for the bulk of humanity. Part of a driven machine that is hidden in layers, so that the public is not aware.

We are moving into the capacity for the individual on the street, even the kid with a computer connection in the mid Sahara, to enable themselves with mechanical means of infinite energy. Which also raises serious problems. We are on a very serious and potent threshold. One that has two sides, one of maximum benefit and one of maximum danger and problems/issues to overcome. We can move in a few different directions here, and we have one that seems to be in the process of being imposed upon us. It appears that it will be imposed and is well into being imposed...unless we move into awareness and connection to all in responsible ways.

It really is that simple. This is a viable path of getting to a better point, for all involved - except for the mindset and pressure from an apparently sociopathic few and those who enable and fix for that machine.

Do you have a better initiation point? Something that will survive the rigors of an environment that is designed to kill such initiatives off? I've said all of this before, in this thread. At this point in time and flow, I'm not sure I see anything more viable.

To slowly bleed the pressure and destruction machine out of the systems at the same time humanity rises into awareness, within the context of the environment that exists right now.

Good luck in coming up with a better one.
    Last edited by Carmody; 24th January 2014 at 03:58.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

anonymous (23rd January 2014), christian (23rd January 2014), Flash (23rd January 2014), Mad Hatter (23rd January 2014), Sierra (24th January 2014), ulli (23rd January 2014)

13. Link to Post #147
    Germany Avalon Member christian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,119 times in 2,959 posts

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    To prevent the enablers and fixers of a very horrific system of repression. One that is moving toward a serf class of permanent genetic disabling and mechanical repetition and death into infinity, basically permanence in being an organic machine...to prevent that mechanism's continuance.... this enabler and fixer class of beings needs to be shut down.

It really is that simple. This is a viable path of getting there.

Do you have a better initiation point? something that will survive the rigors of an environment that is designed to kill such initiatives off?

In my opinion, it's the old thing of empowering oneself vs. crippling or controlling others, lifting oneself up vs. putting others down in order to assert one's natural rights. If humanity is empowered, the fixers stand no chance in the game. If humanity is not empowered, the control over the fixers will not be efficient and may even backfire because of manipulations and so on.

I see how both aspects, focusing on self-empowerment and focusing on being watchful of those with (potential) malintent, go hand in hand to some degree. I think it's wise to be aware of sociopaths and remain vigilant, always, but the main focus in my life is certainly on empowering myself and others, thereby I automatically become better able to defend myself against predators. When I know myself and stand in my full power, I get in a position to act. If my focus is more on what others can or might do, I'm in a more reactive stance. Of course, in reality it's a mixture of these two archetypal scenarios, but I think it's important to be aware of where one tends towards and to find a good balance there.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to christian For This Post:

anonymous (23rd January 2014), Carmody (23rd January 2014), DNA (23rd January 2014), Mad Hatter (23rd January 2014), Sierra (26th January 2014), ulli (23rd January 2014), Wind (28th January 2014)

15. Link to Post #148
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 times in 163 posts

my privacy standards have changed - 5/10/16 - apologies for the many edits of public comments
    Last edited by anonymous; 11th May 2016 at 15:43.

16. Link to Post #149
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,006 times in 700 posts

So far, IMNSHO, the smartest suggestion I've seen is that we instigate the use of currently available tech post haste using the 'if you want the job you voluntarily submit to the testing' approach. How about in private before filling in an application, along the lines of an aptitude test. This would allow for those that discover they do not qualify sans being publicly branded thus allowing them the opportunity to consider other ways in which they might choose to usefully contribute.

Given Carmody's quip about the suggested process eventually being by-passed it seems to me we might also want to be planning ahead for that eventuality as well. I found this an interesting read and maybe a pointer to where a more permanent fix / solution should be targeted.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post787470

IIRC recent research is indicating that conscious intent plays a large part in healing all the way down to the DNA level, so the argument that it is not rectifiable may well shortly prove moot.

tuppence worth

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mad Hatter For This Post:

anonymous (24th January 2014), Carmody (24th January 2014), PurpleLama (23rd January 2014), Sierra (24th January 2014), ulli (26th January 2014)

18. Link to Post #150
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,548 times in 833 posts

Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    Quote Posted by sdv (here)
    Psychopathy:

Here's a test: http://www.arkancide.com/psychopathy.htm

Quote A prototypical psychopath would receive a maximum score of 40, while someone with absolutely no psychopathic traits or tendencies would receive a score of zero. A score of 30 or above qualifies a person for a diagnosis of psychopathy. People with no criminal backgrounds normally score around 5. Many non-psychopathic criminal offenders score around 22.
    Confessions of a Sociopath, an interesting insight into the mind of a sociopath: http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...ions-sociopath

Interesting that MRI studies show a difference in the brain of a paedophile (emphasis added by me):

Quote So far, three research groups have published structural MRI studies of pedophiles: my own group at CAMH in Canada (Cantor et al., 2008), and two other groups, both in Germany (Schiffer et al., 2007; Schiltz et al., 2007). The CAMH team compared large groups of pedophilic men with men who committed nonsexual offenses; we found that the pedophilic men had significantly less tissue in two wide-spread regions of the brain. These two regions (called the superior fronto-occipital fasciculus and the right arcuate fasciculus) are not at all what previous researchers had expected to find (including us). Instead of being in charge of any specific function of the brain (such as self-control or sexual response), these particular brain structures are made up of “cables” (or axons) that connect other brain regions. This suggests the possibility that sexual attraction to children versus adults is not caused by some difference in any one region of the brain, but in the way that multiple regions work together. Neuroscientists refer to this as a partial “disconnection syndrome.”

When comparing pedophilic and nonpedophilic men, one must remain careful not to confuse cause with effect. That is, one must consider carefully whether the brain differences we detected cause pedophilia or whether some aspect of being pedophilic caused the brain differences. Previous research findings suggests that it is more likely for the brain differences to be causing pedophilia than for the other way around: Although it is now known that certain brain structures respond to environmental stimulation, such as the motor cortex, there is no evidence that such stimulation causes any changes in the superior fronto-occipital fasciculus or right arcuate fasciculus (the brain regions in which pedophiles and nonpedophiles differ). Moreover, the brain regions we identified are extremely large, and no previous research has ever found changes in such large regions of the brain. As an analogy, physical exercise will generally stimulate one’s muscle tissue to grow, but one would not grow an extra arm; neurological changes occur only in a very specific manner
    The second body of research suggesting that brain differences are not effects of pedophilia is that pedophilic men have up to three times of the odds of being left-handed (or being ambidextrous) than do non-pedophilic men (Bogaert, 2001; Cantor, Blanchard, Christensen, Dickey, Klassen, Beckstead, Blak, & Kuban, 2004; Cantor, Klassen, Dickey, Christensen, Kuban, Blak, Williams, & Blanchard, 2005). Handedness is determined by brain organization and is determined largely before birth (fetuses show a hand-preference for thumb-sucking that is observable on sonograms; Hepper, Shahidullah, & White, 1991; Hepper, Wells, & Lynch, 2005). This indicates that at least some important differences in brain organization existed in pedophilic individuals long before they engaged in any pedophilic behaviors. Thus, although it remains possible that environment influences interacted with the differences in the brain, the simpler interpretation of these findings is that some factor was present, early in development, that affected brain development in a way that caused the handedness differences, pedophilia, and the other brain-related characteristics that have been found in pedophiles (such as lower than average IQs; Cantor, Blanchard, Robichaud, & Christensen, 2005).

There are also important implications of what we did not find. We did not find any group differences in the parts of the brain that are known to relate to self-control or impulsivity. That is, we found no evidence to suggest that pedophilic men have a neurological reason to be less capable of controlling their behaviors than are men who commit nonsexual crimes. Although it is never possible to completely rule out the possibility that pedophiles suffer from an impulsivity problem, our project used very large samples (relative to most MRI research) and powerful statistical techniques. So, if pedophilic men do suffer from a neurological problem in self-control, it is likely to be either small or a type of problem that is invisible to conventional MRI.

Although we found the brain differences to occur in a large proportion of the brain, the magnitudes of the differences were statistically “moderate.” That is, the structural MRI differences were reliable enough for studying groups of pedophiles for research, but they were not reliable enough for the assessment of individuals for clinical purposes. It remains possible, however, that functional MRI could be used clinically to distinguish pedophilic from nonpedophilic men. http://individual.utoronto.ca/james_cantor/blog2.html
    These MRI studies of psychopathy (sociopaths), paedophilia, et al are very interesting. I suppose what the purpose of this thread is to discuss what we should do with this information.

Personally, I support the ''draw a line in the sand'' principle, e.g. as a society, worldwide, we decide that we regard child rape (statutory rape) as unacceptable human behaviour, so if you do this you are no longer welcome to live among us and will spend the rest of your life in jail, separated from others (lots of people in jails are not psychopaths or paedophiles and are just serving punishment for being caught breaking a rule, which is often only a rule in that region, so once they have done their time, they will become part of wider society again). Same for first-degree murder.

The research indicates that lack of control is not the problem with paedophiles. They seem to react/respond in the same way that a man (with varying degrees of shyness/boldness, awkwardness/charm, success/failure) would do with a woman/man he found attractive, except they do it with children.

Apologies, as I do not want to take the discussion away from sociopaths (psychopathy), and I think the problem of how to use the MRI studies to protect society from the havoc these people wreak is a much more tricky one.

I do favour the idea that many people in prison are there because they are being punished for a transgression (which may not be considered a transgression in another region) and are therefore a part of normal society. Do they not deserve protection from the harm that sociopaths can cause?
    I find your post here quite intriguing.
    I am of the belief that the folks you speak of here have a dark entity working through them.
    It is not a scientific belief, but it is still my belief.
    Science has not been able, to my knowledge, view non-corporeal entities manipulating people, but I find the thought intriguing to no end that the effects of a dark entity's attachment may show up in the physical brain in terms of electrical discharges.

It's only a vague hypothesis, but what if an MRI could detect the physical changes that take place in a human brain due to a Non-Organic Energy Parasite?

This may lead to interesting findings. Some of which may be that people who are termed "sociopaths" may make a better host for said entities.

We may learn that it is not a person being a sociopath that is the problem, we may learn that it just turns out sociopaths make better hosts for dark entities.

And thus we would be led to the contents of this article here.

THE INTER-DIMENSIONAL ENTITIES BEHIND THE DARK AGENDA THAT IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD!
    This is one of the ideas I have contemplated in trying to understand what I classify as evil. Much evidence has been rpesented on Avalon to support the idea of corrupting outside influences.

However, I do not, and will never, support everyone being tested and categorised.

I simply think that we should be clear about what human behaviour we consider acceptable and what we consider not acceptable, with universal consensus. Those who cross the line are no longer welcome to live among us in this lifetime. It is then up to the individual to choose to practice impulse control, and as a society we can offer help and support.

We should not condemn and categorise people according to their thoughts and feelings, and what we have decided is evidence of their potential, but look at how people act and decide (we need world-wide consensus on this) what we categorise as acceptable and what is not acceptable.

We manifest what we choose, and as long as we choose to accept and forgive and tolerate murder, paedophilia and the harm that sociopaths do, we will have them living among us. (I live in a country where a man can rape a six-month-old baby and be sentenced to, maybe 11 years' in jail as punishment, and then be given parole after serving half that sentence. I have said it before, but the rhetoric is, from a female judge, 'he didn't really hurt her down there and he said he was sorry and did not waste the court's time by denying what he did', and from our Constitutional chief, 'I am giving a reduced sentence because he was nice to her and gave her sweeties', and from commentators on news blogs, 'rape of babies and children has reached an unacceptable level', as if there is an acceptable level, and from family members of perpetrators, 'I don't want him to suffer in prison and do not want to lose a provider so please have mercy and do not give him a jail sentence', even when the victim was the woman's child.)

Will, intent, choice, and then manifestation, is the essence for me, and society as a whole tolerates sociopaths. As collective humanity, the majority (perhaps not here on Avalon) of us do not draw the line in the sand in choosing to refuse to live with those who cross that line.

We should not be judged by our thoughts and feelings and scientifically evaluated potential, but should be treated according to our actions ... and it is up to humanity (across-the-board majority) to decide and implement what is acceptable and what is not.

We will all be loved and accepted and supported and helped unconditionally in our spiritual home, but while we are on this Earth and living as a human, we surely can agree on and implement some basic rules? No, we can't because drones still randomly kill people, babies are still raped and sacrificed in magical rituals (this is real and does happen folks, and is not just a weird conspiracy theory about the Illuminati - it is widespread in Africa), and a few people amass huge wealth (far more than they and their families could ever use) while millions suffer without having basic needs for survival, et al.

Sociopaths wreak their havoc because we (the majority of humanity) choose to accept their acts and forgive or ignore them, through ignorance, a desire for self-enrichment by aligning ourselves with them, or a misunderstanding of how spirit interacts with humanity (spirits inhabit human bodies on this Earth, but Earth is not the eternal home of spirits, so if those human bodies have alien DNA or not, et al, is just a distraction). We have forgotten that as spirits we have will and intent and the ability to manifest, and thus are in control of the human bodies we inhabit (not all live with this delusion, because I suspect that there are many advanced/mature spirits living in human bodies).

So, sociopaths are free to wreak havoc because the majority of humankind lets them ... and I do not support the idea that we should be evaluated and categorised, but say that we should be judged according to our actions and what the majority of humankind decide is wrong or right acts.
    Sandie
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. (Carl Sagan)

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sdv For This Post:

anonymous (24th January 2014), Carmody (24th January 2014), christian (1st February 2014), Christine (23rd January 2014), DNA (23rd January 2014), Mad Hatter (24th January 2014), ulli (26th January 2014)

20. Link to Post #151
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

I put that video resume in another thread but I thought it had its place here too, since money and bankers are running the world.

The Brain of a banker

The brain of a banker

Describing the brain of a banker : design an enfironment of short termers only, everyone think of himself only. After 2008 nobody went to jail, so it it sht rule itself.

A commission on standard of banking, wondering if the banking sector is truly an asset, because of the size of the banks and the leverage, may look like assets but are hydrogen balloons hanging over the society.

Questionnaires were sent to bankers. One banker’s wife reading the questionnaires suddenly understood what her husband was doing, having lived with him for 20 years and never having been told what was happening behind banks glass buildings.

You have easily 10 papers on gender studies in Gaza but when you want to know how hedge manager work you will find only abstract writings on how a university degree banker should be according to the economic theories. Basically nothing studies on the ground even if they are sharing the decisions on our lives.

« 2 days within my new career, I realized tha I had a cash cow that was crying out to be milk by caughky risk taking banker like myself. I just needed to understand where the rule could be broken and sit back while my bank account was growing exponentially« Geraint Anderson

He worked 12 years in the city He goes on saying « My bank hectic trading fortune was based on the fact that some big swinging dicks old brash confident matrix had decided in their crib that defeat was not an option. Investment banks attract and reward hyper competitive gamblers whose arrogance is only rivaled by their ruthlessness » Geraing Anderson

Terry Durhan, math degree from MIT, 10 years on trading floor. « You become institutionalized and educated to be part of that culture, …. JP Morgan, in the team there were very smart people and people risk aware, not risk averse, but …. Risk managers not traders, a playfull environment, 1 million was a buck so it is a 50 buck trade….100 bucks trade , a billion was a yard, .. not real terms, … it is like monopoly money. I remember thinking this is dissasociated from reality, … it is just fun »

« Banker operated in a never never wold beyond any regulation, it is a nice place to be. »

The researcher : this is a terrible world, as long as we are angry at them we are reinforcing the ides of alledged jealousy needed for their self image. When Lloyd Blankfein says « we do God’s work », the arrogance is just oozing. This arrogance that says everyone want to be me.

I see people under stress, a mix, some cold and calculated, but the average traders, you have some some cold ones, … but others are boys and girls who have been chasing societies’ promises.

Psychologist working in the city as a coach to managers, Peter Sioen (from me : not a good name to trust the truth, lol peter sion lol). All rest on neurotransmitters and hormones, and chemicals in the brain. We have studied how greed works, triggering certain hormones that once tasted, will make the being even greedier than they originally were.

The proportion of psychopaths in the top managers in the financial sector, is as high and share the same psychopatic traits as psychopaths in jail (based on questionnaires).

But to say we really know what is going on in their heads based on photographs, I would say that the face is the last place to look for clues. If you say a 22 years old they are the best thing on the planet and you stuff their hands with cash, of course they will become arrogant. Their testosterone levels are the highers, that is the culture right now. The world in the hand of 25 years old.

John Coates, senior research fellow in neurosciences and finance, University of Cambridge, , « I too, when i was making above average profits, with exceptional bonus, I came to consider myself as a super heroe ». He is a Canadian who traded for Goldman Sach and run a trading desk for Deutche Bank.

You think you can do anything. You do not need as much sleep, become slightly delusional, really caughky, and you take too much risk, … so convinced that anything you do is going to be right, taht you end up putting on trade which ever worsening trades and you blow up.

This process FEELS narcotics. It does not feel like a cognitive process, he does not feel like greed, it feels narcotic, with a process of power. This narcotic is an important piece of scientific data, it is a molecule.

The main researcher compares it with pedophilies who, as soon as they need to look for the next victim or their next fix, their brain take over and something happens whre they become smarter and more cunning than they really are. When i look at criminals or psychopaths in the business world, it is a thing of nature, rather than nurture, specially banks played a game wehre they took in certain psychopathic characters to bring in bigger profits.

Geraing Anderson : some of the people I was wroking with were actual living, breathing psychopaths (not only joking about it but real ones). 3% of men exhibit the characteristics that makes them real psychopaths. Manipulative, charming, remorseless, arrogant, and lacking any conscience, single mind risk takers with a ruthless will to succeed, unable to empathise with others and are rules brakers,

They are not team players and are expert at office politics, have deviant lifestyles and only superficial relationships. Wether the city attracks psychos or simply brings out the worst, i can say from my experience that the city all pervasive hyper competitive, maximize your bonuses at any cost mentality, demands that we, borderline psychos, forget our more gentle human qualitites as we ruthlessly strive to beat our colleagues.

The main researcher says that although the city may not be run by psychopaths, but he says that pscychopaths or those acting mercilessly are tolerated and rewarded and celebrated when bringing lots of money.

The sophistication of the banking product is so difficult to understand, that if you did, the bank would probably hire you.

I am up to 20 minutes in the video, you can watch the rest.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...te-interesting

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Carmody (24th January 2014), christian (1st February 2014), Mad Hatter (26th January 2014), ulli (26th January 2014)

22. Link to Post #152
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,548 times in 931 posts

have to remember, I am a sociopath, as considered by you all's standards, as described here.
    I'm lately tuning in, so any previous 'back and forth's are unknown to me. But without it I can safely reply to this - A real sociopath will never consider himself a sociopath. No matter what revelation and embrace he makes about the nature of himself, this part is never fully embraced. Same for other types of psychopaths.

Carmody didn't insult you because you are not a sociopath. I do agree that his other remarks for the group of people he talked about were out of place and made without proper thought process given to them.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OnyxKnight For This Post:

Carmody (8th February 2014), DNA (26th January 2014), Mad Hatter (26th January 2014), Maunagarjana (30th January 2014)

24. Link to Post #153
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,175 posts

I'm behind Onyx for a reason. He's running defensive line for me, just doesn't realize it. Thanks buddeh . . . :O)

This is an ethical issue.

This isn't necessarily my opinion, but my thought process. Wander with me.

My first impulse was to say something like:

"Instead of dealing with people who are incarcerated, would it not make more sense to institute a solution based on prevention?"

Except that wouldn't work. Clearly this is a medical condition, like diabetes or heart disease. Do we discriminate against diabetics when they are required to take insulin? Newp. Crestor for heart patients? Newp. If we discriminated based on treatment of a disease, every wheelchair would be a pink triangle. Likewise, as a diabetic would I feel discriminated against because I had to test my blood sugar? I might be mad at the situation, but I couldn't claim discrimination because of my condition unless others put me into a clearly oppressive situation. Like locking me in a room full of chocolate. (Uhm...if anyone would like to do this for me, I'm not actually diabetic...just sayin...)

Which isn't to say that some people do stigmatise people with disabilities. But society has made accommodations for people with disabilities. Sidewalks have ramps, we make it easier for people with disabilities, especially in Canada. If they require special housing needs, special vehicles, etc, those things are made available to them through a process.

The difference is that there are degrees in which an individual's disability places financial and emotional strains on society.

We've agreed that people with mental illness are to be treated with dignity and given the help they require. In Canada, if I feel suicidal, all I have to do is walk into an emergency ward and say I want to kill myself and I'm immediately admitted to the psychiatric wing. There's a treatment process. It's not perfect, in fact it's so far from perfect it's crazy itself. But because there are so many individuals in the system that require the treatment, the system has to compensate. So a doctor will see a patient for 10 minutes at admitting, and 5 minutes during a 30 day stay to evaluate the drugs that have been administered. In my book? Fail. But fail because of not one specific reason.

So sociopath ends up doing something illegal and enters the judicial system. Right now the model is based on "rehabilitation" but works I suspect in the same model as the ER-psyche ward treatment. It barely scratches the surface.

So here's what I come up with.

Carmody, I agree with you in principle. My method, however, is going to differ slightly. Screening is necessary from a medical perspective. This is a disease that requires treatment. A compassionate society demands that individuals that suffer an ailment have a right to treatment, respect, and dignity regardless of their ailment. But if on the other hand we develop methods of crime prevention for those who are not in this category (psychotic/sociopathic), does it not follow the jails will be not as full, and those who are in them will in fact by the nature of their condition not be responding to the methods of a preventative system?

Or another example: the individual who suffers from manic-depressive syndrome. This is a multi-million dollar executive near where I live who was able to use his manic/depressive stages constructively to end up creating multiple successful businesses, employ several hundred people all over the province, in fact several provinces, thus creating a net gain for people over all even while suffering (and I use that word as a descriptor of having a condition only) from bipolar disorder. If, for example, a psychopath can hold a position of power that provides net gain for the society they lead....this is hypothesis only...and does not create circumstances of unnecessary suffering, given they may be the most qualified individual to hold that position would we be foolish to give that position to a lesser qualified individual who was not psychotic? (yeah, re-read that sentence and realize how insane it does sound from a certain point of view lol)

The argument is going to be that a psychotic/sociopathic individual won't be able to do this. And that very well may be true. Remember back in the old days, not so long ago, when any major change in government required a plebiscite? You got to vote on tax increase, remember that?

I'm wondering if the psychotics are in power, of if they are the people who vote and walk away, saying..."I elected you to take care of it, take care of it."

Am I psychotic for using someone for my own benefit if they allow me to use them?

Carmody, your basic premise holds provided that people adopt a system of ethics that demands for the greatest good emotional involvement has to take a back burner. I haven't ranted on the poison that is the politically correct movement yet. I may not. But I think this is symptomatic of the situation we're in.

Try this one on for size guys. When you commit a crime, you enter into a contractual agreement with the law. If you get caught, you will be entered into a process that will determine your guilt or innocence, and if found guilty, will have to give up certain rights you had as a citizen who is a non-criminal. In other words, if scanning this way begins in prisons, there's your in. How easy, however, it would be given the advances in technology to just scan the brains of every person entering into the United States. I mean, you have to give your finger prints now already. They put a bar code into your passport, scan it, all the information comes up on the screen. Pass or fail, just like with your criminal record now.

It's a more effective means of proceeding.

However....I am one of the old guard that longs for a simpler time when you could leave your door unlocked and trust your neighbours to watch your back, or walk from Saskatchewan to North Dakota and just "wave at the border guard". That way of life is dying slowly I'm afraid, except in the hearts of a few staunch stewards that refuse to let go of the idea of dignity, common sense, and chivalry. Evolve or fade.
    Last edited by Milneman; 25th January 2014 at 23:32. Reason: philosophers muse differently, sometimes you get better ideas after re-reading....blah.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Milneman For This Post:

Carmody (8th February 2014), Mad Hatter (10th February 2014), OnyxKnight (26th January 2014), ulli (26th January 2014)

26. Link to Post #154
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,175 posts

Quote Posted by OnyxKnight (here)
    have to remember, I am a sociopath, as considered by you all's standards, as described here.
    I'm lately tuning in, so any previous 'back and forth's are unknown to me. But without it I can safely reply to this - A real sociopath will never consider himself a sociopath. No matter what revelation and embrace he makes about the nature of himself, this part is never fully embraced. Same for other types of psychopaths.

Carmody didn't insult you because you are not a sociopath. I do agree that his other remarks for the group of people he talked about were out of place and made without proper thought process given to them.
    i said i would not reply in that thread, but i am a liar and imperfect, what do you want =P haha.

my reply is that when a sociopath is presented with the scientific data of his own brain, what choice does he have but to acknowledge this 'fact', because that would be a slippery slope to being useless to anyone. even yourself. which is most important to a sociopath

if i am a sociopath, people are lucky i want to do the right thing for me, and that i relate me to them. haha. convinced yet? lol
    Same applies to an alcoholic. From that point of view, one would be accepting the limitations of one's condition and accepting that as part of their human experience....which would then follow if I was diabetic, I couldn't eat chocolate without consequences. If I was a sociopath, I would recognize that certain things will affect me in the same way chocolate affects a diabetic, and have to act accordingly.

Doesn't this just smack of common sense?

Can we scan the brain for that next??? :D

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Milneman For This Post:

Carmody (8th February 2014), Mad Hatter (10th February 2014), OnyxKnight (26th January 2014), ulli (26th January 2014)

28. Link to Post #155
    Thanks

i said i would not reply in that thread, but i am a liar and imperfect, what do you want =P haha.

my reply is that when a sociopath is presented with the scientific data of his own brain, what choice does he have but to acknowledge this 'fact', because that would be a slippery slope to being useless to anyone. even yourself. which is most important to a sociopath

if i am a sociopath, people are lucky i want to do the right thing for me, and that i relate me to them. haha. convinced yet? lol
    I didn't say that in order to somehow point out that I'm not convinced or that I need more convincing. That was not my intention. I was just making a statement, factual, about people who do truly fit in that group.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you are a sociopath. Details like non-acceptance probably don't weigh much on the long run. One typical indication that could affect behavior is an anomaly in the frontal cortex of the brain, an area associated with empathy and the ability to control yourself. This is why many murders committed by such people paints them as lacking empathy and compassion, and often the murders show an act of overkill. Like 46 stab wounds or 28 gunshot wounds when 1 to 2 of each would have been enough to be fatal. Often enough they don't even know they continued their actions more than #5 or 6.

The good news, so to speak, is that this has been 'recently' shown that could be genetic. So in the advent of genetic engineering, and designer babies in near future, this gene can be shut down entirely, instead of letting people grow up to potentially become a danger to the rest of society. Many carry this gene but never had a "trigger" that would spark the dark persona to manifest in their actions. Some die without doing anything of the sort or even know about such tendencies. The confrontation that they are carriers of this gene and have the specific developmental anomalies in the frontal cortex often help in the individual being able to more cautiously calculate their actions and whether they are sparked by this trait or something more "normal". Some don't, and use it as an excuse to carry out attrocious crimes.

I have a friend who is this way. He never fully embraced his psychopathic revelation, mainly because he considered himself normal, and we considered him normal too, he didn't show any recognizable signs. His brain anomaly was discovered when he went to a hospital for an injury he sustained on the head. He functions just fine today. Another friend wanted to date him after this event, as she was fascinated with characters like Charles Manson and the like. It made me realize in the end, was my psychopathic friend really that odd and weird, or maybe my female friend that wanted to date such a guy? At the very end, ending up asking myself in what kind of crowd have I built a circle of friends too! :D

Not that I'm any less weird, but as far as to my knowledge, nothing of the like discussed here. A sense of not belonging, difficulty relating, even for the very common stuff others experience, etc. That was prevalent in my childhood. Today I'm pretty normal. I had to change, the environment demands it in a way. For me, it wasn't learning how to be a human, but in some sense, mimicking it. Adaptation, blending in. Not for a sinister cause, but more of a cautious, fearful cause. Didn't know much about the world when I was that little, but an inner feeling kept telling be afraid, be very afraid, of this place. Now after a couple of decades, things are kind of clearer about it.

The only advice I can give you is, try not to read between the lines. You will find yourself insulted, victimized, called out, provoked, or even mocked. We don't share same brain patterns, and even similar brain patterns form different chain of thoughts and even more different systematic formation of sentences and expression with people. Not just here, everywhere. I've been down your road a few times here, you will get the hang of it, you are still brand new.

Assume nothing, question everything.

If you find something alarming in somebody's post, try questioning them about it. I'm only putting this out there because you seem to be a fella who has a lot to say and share, and assumptions lead to confrontations, those in turn lead to flame wars. These last ones can end a topic faster than you can say sorry. Its not about whether I, Carmody, or anyone else is on 'your' side or 'against' you. Unless explicitly stated by somebody, in the terms of this discussion there are no sides.

You don't have to stay away from this topic because you disagree with somebody's opinions/thoughts. There would be a whole lotta empty threads if everybody decided not to bother with a topic not many side their own views/persuasions. Your input is still appreciated. Try that approach, I'm sure you'll make more friends rather than enemies .

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OnyxKnight For This Post:

Carmody (8th February 2014), Mad Hatter (10th February 2014), Maunagarjana (30th January 2014), Milneman (26th January 2014), ulli (26th January 2014), Wind (28th January 2014)

30. Link to Post #156
    Thanks

See why kind of system you envision and what kind of society you want to see tomorrow. Compare with others and see where you all stand. If there is enough similar thoughts and agreed terms, why not work towards that? Those that have other ideas sure are welcome to try their own approach, the world is a big enough place for everybody. We can put all the speculation to a test and see what results it musters.

Before that, we do need to hear all kinds of opinions. And that includes yours too. Especially if you consider yourself part of a specific group of people, and in a way, their advocate.

Don't worry about the rest. Bumps in the road, nothing much more than that. All PA members experience it sooner or later. So consider this a sign, a confirmation stamp that you are now an official member after this. So welcome!

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OnyxKnight For This Post:

Carmody (8th February 2014), Mad Hatter (10th February 2014), ulli (26th January 2014)

32. Link to Post #157
    Thanks

This thread's intent was, and is, more than anything, about raising the subject and the possibilities and perils within. Nothing more. It's the settling of the pen, onto the page. A dot. Where it goes, how it is written, is yet to be seen.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

araucaria (28th January 2014), christian (1st February 2014), Mad Hatter (10th February 2014), Milneman (26th January 2014), Sierra (26th January 2014), ulli (5th February 2014)

34. Link to Post #158
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,349 times in 2,716 posts

I believe the tech to do what the OP suggests already exists. I agree implementing it would be tricky, especially considering who’s hands it would be in, if and when it is viable. I came across this, apparently Kit Green’s been at it for awhile:

http://www.starpod.us/2013/01/16/kit...-in-real-time/

35. Link to Post #159
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

This thread deserves a nod. Well put.

36. Link to Post #160
    Thanks

It can be seen to be coming into shape.

Johns Hopkins Introduces Database of Children's Brain Scans

Over the last year, it seems as if the technological control grid has been kicked in to high speed as various forms of biometrics, transhumanism, smart grids, the internet of things and neuroscience merge closer and closer together. Indeed, it would be naïve to suggest that this was not the goal all along. However, the fact that these “new” technologies are now being connected together in public view suggests that society in general is further along the path to the full implementation of the total surveillance system and electronic dictatorship than anyone may have initially believed.

For instance, it has recently been announced that Johns Hopkins University is in the process of creating a Google-style searchable digital library of children’s brain scans. The project will be supported by a grant from the National Institutes of Health to the tune of $600,000 over three years under the guise of an attempt to greater assist doctors in the diagnosis of irregularities occurring in the brain. Doctors will also be able to compare the brain scans in order to identify changes in brain structure and, hopefully, identify diseases even earlier.

As Michael Miller, a Johns Hopkins biomedical engineering professor and the lead researcher for the program states, “We're creating a pediatric-brain data bank that will let doctors look at MRI brain scans of children who have already been diagnosed with illnesses like epilepsy or psychiatric disorders. It will provide a way to share important new discoveries about how changes in brain structures are linked to brain disorders.”

At the present time, the database only holds about 5,000 brain scans and only from children treated at Johns Hopkins. According to Anne-Marie Alcantara of Mashable.com, the scans are indexed and arranged into 22 different categories such as, psychiatric disorders, chromosomal abnormalities, vascular diseases, congenital malformations, infections, or epilepsy.

“Due to the high volume of information in the database, researchers believe it will help physicians easily recognize and classify pediatric brain disorders, as well as reclassify and identify new brain diseases,” Alcantara writes.

As reported by The Hub, the news center from Johns Hopkins, the researchers, along with Marilyn Albert, a Johns Hopkins professor of neurology, the institution is attempting to expand this database to include the elderly as well.

Johnathan Lewin, chief radiologist at Johns Hopkins Hospital has stated that “This research is one of the first real applications of big-data analytics, taking medical information from large numbers of patients, removing anything that would identify specific individuals and then bringing the data into the cloud to allow very high-powered analysis.”

Although there is no mention of patient consent in the press release, one hopes (but one does not expect) that the individuals whose brain scans are added into the database are asked their permission before doing so.

Another issue, however, is the ability of the medical establishment to upload such images to a database which is then uploaded to the Cloud, for other researchers to peruse. While it could scarcely be argued that such a development is a purely negative one, it should raise the eyebrows of anyone who is concerned about privacy and the growing web of interconnected systems in seemingly unrelated fields.

~~~~~~~~~~

More at link. Be aware. Make it work for you, as it will probably not be possible to stop it. But to move it, to shift it... to make it work for the people.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Chanlo23 (28th March 2014), hohoemi (11th February 2014), Mad Hatter (10th February 2014), Sierra (24th June 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 8 12 LastLast