+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IODINE, the most misunderstood nutrient, Dr David Brownstein

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Default IODINE, the most misunderstood nutrient, Dr David Brownstein

Talk by Dr Brownstein explaining the ideas behind holistic medicine - Iodine and its uses.

Very interesting/informative presentation, viewing it is well worth your time, I believe I posted it somewhere before in another thread but cant find it, but that doesn't matter here it is again.

2. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,076 times in 869 posts

Default Re: IODINE, the most misunderstood nutrient, Dr David Brownstein

Thanks for this video, im going to watch it now.
    Im on life-long meds for thyroid issues, meds that probably better serve big pharma's bank account than my medical issues, so im constantly on the search for alternative alternatives!
    I have just started taking iodine tablets recently and hoping to see an improvement asap.

Loving the synchronicity of your post 778 as Ive predominantly logged on today to do some more research on it all!
    💫 🌎 If you can see through the illusion,
    you are part of the solution 🌍 💫

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sérénité For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (29th December 2013), alh02 (27th January 2014), halffull (29th December 2013), Operator (29th December 2013), sigma6 (29th December 2013), WhiteFeather (27th January 2014)

4. Link to Post #3
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sérénité (here)
    Thanks for this video, im going to watch it now.
    Im on life-long meds for thyroid issues, meds that probably better serve big pharma's bank account than my medical issues, so im constantly on the search for alternative alternatives!
    I have just started taking iodine tablets recently and hoping to see an improvement asap.

Loving the synchronicity of your post 778 as Ive predominantly logged on today to do some more research on it all!
    You are welcome, I guess this one was for you then eh, enjoy

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,670 times in 1,986 posts

Quote Posted by 778 neighbour of some guy (here)
    You are welcome, I guess this one was for you then eh, enjoy
    Well, I am not on medication but I had a period of serious thyroid problems too. I am currently using Sea Kelp tablets
    to help my thyroid functioning a bit better ... I marked the vid for watching later. So, add one more to the
    interested people list

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Operator For This Post:

sigma6 (29th December 2013), WhiteFeather (27th January 2014)

7. Link to Post #5
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote I am currently using Sea Kelp tablets to help my thyroid functioning a bit better ..
    Me too (kelp) I take it with selenium, no specific condition I take it for but I have noticed my energy has gone up and some stuff gets detoxed from my system, which is always a good thing imo.

8. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Here another one who has recently suffered from thyroid issues. So thanks again!

Edit: I've seen this video, and I highly recommend it for everyone, whether you have thyroid problems or not. Very important information, IMO.
    Last edited by Unicorn; 30th December 2013 at 00:37.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle (Plato)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unicorn For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (29th December 2013), RunningDeer (27th January 2014), WhiteFeather (27th January 2014)

10. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,921 times in 4,417 posts

I have been using Lugols Iodine for years. When I forget to take it for a few days I become really sluggish. It is a very beneficial nutrient. I had half my thyroid removed in 05. I refuse to take pharma thyroid caz I am stubborm. LOL I probably need it, but supplementing with iodine seems to keep me on track.
    http://www.jcrows.com/iodine.html

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (29th December 2013), alh02 (27th January 2014), RunningDeer (27th January 2014), selinam (29th December 2013), WhiteFeather (27th January 2014)

12. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Since I read this thread I've been taking kelp and fucus supplements. They are rich natural sources of iodine. In this short period (not even a month), I've noticed some benefits: my gums used to be sore and sometimes bled. That has stopped completely. My skin looks much better. I have recovered intense dream activity during sleep. I feel more relaxed. Thyroid function still has to be checked again, but physically at least it seems to have improved... I will continue updating my progress. Thanks again for this useful information.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unicorn For This Post:

Omni (22nd October 2014), RunningDeer (27th January 2014), WhiteFeather (27th January 2014)

14. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 times in 277 posts

Does anyone have the book by this doctor in pdf format? As far as iodine goes, why not and do the "iodine loading test"? It's very easy to start throwing all these good things at your body but if your iodine levels are OK, why create extra work for the body to handle this element? I always say, measure.
    The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about and refuse to investigate.
    – Dr. Wayne Dyer

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Czarek For This Post:

alh02 (27th January 2014), Unicorn (27th January 2014), WhiteFeather (27th January 2014)

16. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Czarek (here)
    why create extra work for the body to handle this element? I always say, measure.

Yes, that's very good advice.

There's little point in supplementing with Iodine if one already has sufficient levels in their body to begin with. That said, it is well known that the overwhelming majority of people in today's Western society are deficient in Iodine (to varying degrees)... largely due to their poor diet.

In any case, there is a relatively quick, easy, and inexpensive way to test for iodine deficiency that virtually anybody can do themselves at home...

Basic Iodine Spot Test:

Simply paint a 5 cm (2 inch) square of iodine tincture (such as Lugol's solution) onto your inner arm or thigh. If the stain disappears or almost disappears:

- In less than 5 hours, then you are almost certainly extremely deficient.
    - In less than 10 hours, then you are probably deficient.
    - In less than 24 hours, then you may be deficient.
    - Remains or only slightly lightens after 24 hours then your levels are considered normal.

This basic test can be repeated every couple of weeks to see when your iodine dose can be reduced.
    “There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night.”
    ~ Albert Camus

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alh02 For This Post:

GreenGuy (27th January 2014), Operator (27th January 2014), Unicorn (27th January 2014), WhiteFeather (27th January 2014)

18. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

This is very sound advice. On the other hand, I've read that the intake of natural sources of iodine is not dangerous, even in high doses (algae, etc.). The overdose is most problematic with the direct intake of the element iodine. In fact, Japanese take a high amount of seaweed and the correlation with thyroid and cancer disease is lower (now this could have changed, due to Fukushima disaster).

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unicorn For This Post:

RunningDeer (27th January 2014), WhiteFeather (27th January 2014)

20. Link to Post #12
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

The video unfortunately has been removed due to copyright issues.
    Every household had iodine when I was a child---our parents knew the benefits.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Omni (22nd October 2014), WhiteFeather (27th January 2014)

22. Link to Post #13
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Two videos which I have not watched as yet but down loading.
    Chris

Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (27th January 2014), alh02 (28th January 2014), fourty-two (28th January 2014), RunningDeer (27th January 2014), Unicorn (27th January 2014), WhiteFeather (27th January 2014)

24. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Dr. David Brownstein is referenced in Dr. Mercola’s article.

“According to other sources, such as Dr. David Brownstein, who has been working with iodine for the last two decades, over 95 percent of the patients in his clinic are iodine deficient.

There are serious risks to taking too much iodine, however, which is why you need to be very cautious and get informed before opting for an iodine supplement.”

"Iodine is Important but a New Study Shows Too Much Causes Problems"

By Dr. Mercola
    [article]

Iodine is a vitally important nutrient that is detected in every organ and tissue. Along with being essential for healthy thyroid function and efficient metabolism, there is increasing evidence that low iodine is related to numerous diseases, including cancer.

Worldwide, it's thought that up to 40 percent of the population is at risk of iodine deficiency.

In the United States, health agencies tend to say most people are iodine "sufficient," meaning they get enough of the nutrient from their diet, however this is controversial.

According to other sources, such as Dr. David Brownstein, who has been working with iodine for the last two decades, over 95 percent of the patients in his clinic are iodine deficient.

There are serious risks to taking too much iodine, however, which is why you need to be very cautious and get informed before opting for an iodine supplement.

Too Much Iodine May Lead to Subclinical Hypothyroidism

Hypothyroidism occurs when your thyroid produces too little thyroid hormone, a condition that is often linked to iodine deficiency. Ironically, new research has shown that taking too much iodine may also lead to a subclinical version of the condition, which is a milder form that is often missed by laboratory tests. Along with sometimes exhibiting many of the same symptoms of hypothyroidism, such as fatigue and difficulty losing weight, people with subclinical hypothyroidism may have an increased risk of heart disease.

Some, however, may exhibit no symptoms at all.

The new study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, revealed that study participants taking relatively higher doses of supplemental iodine -- 400 micrograms a day and more – paradoxically began developing subclinical hypothyroidism. The finding highlights precisely why you need to be very careful with taking supplemental iodine, as taking too much can lead to health problems.

In fact, I don't generally advise taking iodine supplements like Lugol's or Ioderol, because your thyroid only transports iodine in its ionized form (i.e. iodide). Your thyroid reduces iodide (I-) into iodine (I2) for use in formation of thyroglobulin. Your body doesn't utilize iodine directly. It has to split the I2 into two I- ions, which is an oxidative reaction that causes oxidative stress.

I recommend taking an iodine supplement in the event of some type of nuclear fallout. In this case, if you're iodine deficient taking a potassium iodide (a stable form of iodine) supplement can protect your thyroid by "flooding" your system with iodine so your thyroid has no need to take in the radioactive form. But taking potassium iodide when it is not absolutely necessary could result in thyrotoxicosis. In most cases it is far preferable to optimize your iodine through the natural intake of foods.

Why Might Your Iodine Levels be Low?

More than 11 percent of all Americans—and more than 15 percent of American women of child-bearing age—presently have urine iodine levels less than 50 mcg/L, indicating moderate to severe iodine deficiency. An additional 36 percent of reproductive-aged women in the U.S. are considered mildly iodine deficient (<100 mcg/L urinary iodine). Iodine levels have significantly dropped in the United States in recent decades due to several factors, including:

• Bromine exposure: When you ingest or absorb bromine (found in baked goods, plastics, soft drinks, medications, pesticides and more), it displaces iodine, and this iodine deficiency leads to an increased risk for cancer of the breast, thyroid gland, ovary and prostate -- cancers that we see at alarmingly high rates today.
    • Declining consumption of iodine-rich foods, such as iodized salt, eggs, fish, and sea vegetables
    • Soil depletion
    • Less use of iodide in the food and agricultural industry
    • Fluoridated drinking water
    • Rocket fuel (perchlorate) contamination in food

What's this doing to our country's health? The Japanese consume 89 times more iodine than Americans due to their daily consumption of sea vegetables, and they have reduced rates of many chronic diseases, including the lowest rates of cancer in the world. The RDA for iodine in the U.S. is a meager 150 mcg/day, which pales in comparison with the average daily intake of 13800 mcg/day for the Japanese.

There is a large body of evidence suggesting that low cancer rates in Japan are a result of their substantially higher iodine levels, as iodine has documented antioxidant and anti-proliferative properties.

If you are interested in being tested for iodine deficiency, ask your health care provider about the urine iodine challenge test. Another simple way to ensure you're getting enough iodine is to get an inexpensive prescription from your physician for SSKI, which is a super-saturated potassium iodine. You simply apply three drops to your skin and rub it in, once a day. If when you touch something with slightly wet fingertips it leaves a yellowish stain, then the iodine is coming out of your skin, indicating your body is saturated, i.e. you're getting enough iodine.

The Best Natural Sources of Iodine

If you want to optimize your iodine levels naturally, pay careful attention to your diet.  I believe that toxin-free sea vegetables and spirulina are likely the ideal way to obtain your iodine—however, make sure that these are harvested from uncontaminated waters. Raw milk and eggs contain iodine, as well. At the same time, you'll want to avoid all sources of bromine as much as possible, as this appears to play a large role in the rising levels of iodine deficiency. Here are several strategies you can use to avoid bromine and thereby help optimize your iodine levels naturally:
    1. Eat organic as often as possible. Wash all produce thoroughly. This will minimize your pesticide exposure.
    2. Avoid eating or drinking from (or storing food and water in) plastic containers. Use glass and safe ceramic vessels.
    3. Look for organic whole-grain breads and flour. Grind you own grain, if possible. Look for the "no bromine" or "bromine-free" label on commercial baked goods.
    4. Avoid sodas. Drink natural, filtered water instead.
    5. If you own a hot tub, look into an ozone purification system. Such systems make it possible to keep the water clean with minimal chemical treatments.
    6. Look for personal care products that are as chemical-free as possible. Remember -- anything going on you, goes in you.
    7. When in a car or a building, open windows as often as possible, preferably on opposing sides of the space for cross ventilation. Utilize fans to circulate the air. Chemical pollutants are in much higher concentrations inside buildings (and cars) than outside.

Dr. David Brownstein on Iodine Part 1/3

Uploaded on Mar 24, 2011

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/art... Internationally renowned natural health physician and Mercola.com founder Dr. Joseph Mercola and Dr. David Brownstein discuss the possible effects caused by nuclear catastrophe in Japan and how you can be protected. Part 1

Dr. David Brownstein on Iodine Part 2/3

Dr. David Brownstein on Iodine Part 3/3
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 27th January 2014 at 13:23.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (27th January 2014), alh02 (28th January 2014), Baby Steps (27th October 2014), bruno dante (22nd October 2014), greybeard (3rd February 2014), Unicorn (27th January 2014), WhiteFeather (27th January 2014)

26. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by alh02 (here)
    Quote Posted by Czarek (here)
    why create extra work for the body to handle this element? I always say, measure.

Yes, that's very good advice.

There's little point in supplementing with Iodine if one already has sufficient levels in their body to begin with. That said, it is well known that the overwhelming majority of people in today's Western society are deficient in Iodine (to varying degrees)... largely due to their poor diet.

In any case, there is a relatively quick, easy, and inexpensive way to test for iodine deficiency that virtually anybody can do themselves at home...

Basic Iodine Spot Test:

Simply paint a 5 cm (2 inch) square of iodine tincture (such as Lugol's solution) onto your inner arm or thigh. If the stain disappears or almost disappears:

- In less than 5 hours, then you are almost certainly extremely deficient.
    - In less than 10 hours, then you are probably deficient.
    - In less than 24 hours, then you may be deficient.
    - Remains or only slightly lightens after 24 hours then your levels are considered normal.

This basic test can be repeated every couple of weeks to see when your iodine dose can be reduced.
    Hi alh02,

Part One in the video from post#14, Dr. Mercola asks Dr. David Brownstein for his opinion on iodine spot testing and self diagnosis. Click here @ 2:29. He explains it’s not clinically useful because 80% of the iodine evaporates off the skin.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 27th January 2014 at 13:46.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

alh02 (28th January 2014), bruno dante (22nd October 2014)

28. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Hi alh02,

Part One in the video from post#14, Dr. Mercola asks Dr. David Brownstein for his opinion on iodine spot testing and self diagnosis. Click here @ 2:29. He explains it’s not clinically useful because 80% of the iodine evaporates off the skin.

Hi RD,

You are right to make this point.

In fact, one might say you're 'spot' on (pun intended ).

I should have made it clear in my previous post that the spot test is really only useful as a 'rough guide' when attempting to gauge iodine deficiency.

It is by no means a highly accurate method for making such a determination, but I do still think it is useful for providing a general indication.

For example, if a person was to paint a spot on their inner arm and the spot vanished completely in under 5 hours... then I think they could safely make the assumption that their iodine levels might be a bit low.

Sure, the spot test isn't an exact science... but it does offer people a very simple and cost effective place to start from.

In any case, as always, people just need to use a bit of common sense with this sort of thing.
    Last edited by alh02; 28th January 2014 at 12:20.
    “There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night.”
    ~ Albert Camus

29. The Following User Says Thank You to alh02 For This Post:

RunningDeer (28th January 2014)

30. Link to Post #17
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,694 times in 1,016 posts

Just ordered some of this (thanks Ed-Ed)

GHCHealth Detoxadine

http://www.oxyhealth.co.uk/ghchealth...ic-iodine.html

Has anyone used this kind of Iodine (or other) and how has it helped you?

31. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Hello,
    I've used many forms of iodine and have found them life changing. Energy, immune function, sense of well being are the most noticeable effects for me. I used the nascent iodine and found it a very good source of iodine. I have been using Terry's Naturally products for at least a couple of years and find it to be as good or better. It is a Tri Iodine (3 different forms) and they may be considered the best form. The link shows the 12.5 mg, they also have a 6.25 mg and a thyroid care product with higher levels.

http://www.vitacost.com/terry-natura...mg-90-capsules

A list of other nutrients to support thyroid function:

Life Extension Suggestions http://www.lef.org/Protocols/Metabol...lation/Page-01

Thyroid hormone supplementation: If hormones are necessary, work with an experienced medical provider to find a hormone supplement that works best for you.

The following suggestions may support thyroid hormone production.

Iodine: Up to 1150 mcg daily. Intake above this amount is generally well tolerated. The exact dosage to be taken should be determined by thyroid function testing and the advice of a health care professional.
    Selenium: 200 – 400 mcg daily
    Zinc: 30 – 80 mg daily
    Copper: 1 – 2 mg daily
    Curcumin (as highly absorbed BCM-95®): 400 – 800 mg daily
    Natural Vitamin E: 400 IU alpha-tocopherol and 200 mg gamma-tocopherol
    Vitamin C: 1000 – 2000 mg daily
    Iron: Check for deficiency and correct if low
    Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin): 1000 – 2000 mcg daily
    DHEA: The exact dosage to be taken should be determined by blood testing and the advice of a physician. Typical dosages range from 15 – 75 mg daily taken in the morning. DHEA serum blood tests are suggested 3 – 6 weeks after initiating DHEA replacement therapy to optimize individual dosing.
    Pregnenolone: Check for deficiencies and correct if low. Typical dosages are 50 – 100 mg daily. A complete hormone profile is suggested when supplementing with pregnenolone as it may affect levels of other hormones, such as progesterone, estrogen, testosterone and/or DHEA.
    Rhodiola, standardized extract: 250 – 500 mg daily
    L-tyrosine: 500 - 1000 mg daily

In addition, the following blood testing resources may be helpful:

Thyroid Panel (TSH, T4, Free T4, Free T3)
    Reverse T3
    Thyroid Antibody Panel
    Female Comprehensive Hormone Panel / Male Comprehensive Hormone Panel or Female Panel / Male Panel
    Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blknwhite For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (23rd October 2014), Natalia (22nd October 2014)

+ Reply to Thread