+ Reply to Thread

Thread: looking for Colorado information

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default looking for Colorado information

hello all, i just thought i would start a thread here and continue to search for new friends and contacts in colorado, i need to re-locate from tenn. here in as soon as the weather turns favorable as health care is changing for the worse for me in tenn here, my doctor i have seen for the last 12 years just retired and its no use seeking a new doctor here as some laws for health care for certain types of injury's is closing basically, i have thought about moving west for a few years, i do remodeling type work and im also a certified Luthier, thats a string instrument repair guy and builder, i have made one new friend in Co last week and am very thankful , i just want to be sure i will have as much info as possible and land in the best place so i can live in the country, have some peace and quiet, a place for a large garden and live off the hustle and bustle as much as reasonable, im looking to rent for now but will purchase after i have been there for a year, please drop me a note if anyone could be helpful, love and light, peace,dennis

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tnkayaker For This Post:

spiritguide (23rd January 2014), Tony (23rd January 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Default Re: looking for Colorado information

Quote Posted by tnkayaker (here)
    hello all, i just thought i would start a thread here and continue to search for new friends and contacts in colorado, i need to re-locate from tenn. here in as soon as the weather turns favorable as health care is changing for the worse for me in tenn here, my doctor i have seen for the last 12 years just retired and its no use seeking a new doctor here as some laws for health care for certain types of injury's is closing basically, i have thought about moving west for a few years, i do remodeling type work and im also a certified Luthier, thats a string instrument repair guy and builder, i have made one new friend in Co last week and am very thankful , i just want to be sure i will have as much info as possible and land in the best place so i can live in the country, have some peace and quiet, a place for a large garden and live off the hustle and bustle as much as reasonable, im looking to rent for now but will purchase after i have been there for a year, please drop me a note if anyone could be helpful, love and light, peace,dennis

Look up Crestone Co. It's a small spiritually inclined community (different faiths) very friendly. If you go on line and look at the "The Crestone Eagle" you'll get an idea.

Boulder Co. is also an spiritually bright place.

Denver itself is a healthy place full of gyms, they play a lot of chess and piano on 16th street…and good food!

Tony
    www.buddhainthemud.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony For This Post:

tnkayaker (24th January 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

thanks tony ill do some checking oh those places, peace,dennis

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Snowflower's Avatar
    Front range Colorado Rockies, in wilderness
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 times in 733 posts

My opinion:

Boulder is referred to around here as "The People's Republic of Boulder." The hippies used to define the ambiance, but Yuppies took it over and how it's defined by fake new agey, breathy-voiced, "seekers" who use the "search" as their recreational activity.

Um...yeah, you might have guessed - I don't like Boulder much. The traffic is a killer, just trying to get through the town. I sort of grew up there, graduated from high school, attended CU but transferred later, was a hippy living on The Hill when that meant something, and don't like what the yuppies did to the place.

I met some people who live in Crestone. If they were telling the truth, it is a nice place. But, because it's so popular, it has undoubtedly gotten too expensive.

That's funny about Denver. 3 million people live there. So, that just makes it a city, best to be avoided.

I'm turning into a recluse I think. We have 17 people living in my small community. That's almost enough. My dream visions tell me it will be between 30-40 some day.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowflower For This Post:

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member AlaBil's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 times in 186 posts

I'm a big fan of the area around Durango, Colorado. It's a couple of hours from Telluride, to me the best "old west" ski property in North America. Cortez and Manchos are two small towns within a short driving distance from Durango offering wide open western space. Durango is a tourist town that is really bustling with lots to do, especially in the summer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AlaBil For This Post:

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

thanks for the replys , i talked with a buddy of mine in tenn here last night and he suggested the rural areas around the Loveland Fort Collins ares but heading into the rural areas from there, im open to options really , the important thing is a place in the country with some peace and quiet and a sopt i can have a garden come spring, im still asking for new friends in colorado folks please get in touch with me if you live there or have any connections there, people that i could call and talk to thanks again, peace ,dennis

11. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Quote Posted by tnkayaker (here)
    thanks for the replys , i talked with a buddy of mine in tenn here last night and he suggested the rural areas around the Loveland Fort Collins ares but heading into the rural areas from there, im open to options really , the important thing is a place in the country with some peace and quiet and a sopt i can have a garden come spring, im still asking for new friends in colorado folks please get in touch with me if you live there or have any connections there, people that i could call and talk to thanks again, peace ,dennis
    Hi Dennis - gardens in Colorado in the high country (anything in the mountains), have a limited growing season, and tend to get visited by critters of all kinds, chipmunks, bunny wabbits, voles, deer most frequent one's garden. Underground things like carrots and potatoes get eaten up very fast necessitating a green house..

However, some of the best growing areas for outside gardens if you want to be away from the hustle and bustle of the big cities is to head towards the western slope, to a town called DELTA. South of Delta is where AlaBil suggested one can find Durango - north of there is Telluride. The bigger city on the western slope is Grand Junction.

Delta has some of the best strawberries, apples, peaches, nut trees.. Lots of cucumbers, lettuces, tomatoes - in short everything grows in Delta

Seasonally the temperatures span - http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?codelt that has a webpage for history

Altitude - 4953 feet above sea level, not to hard to deal with, lower than Denver, and definitely lower than the front range mountains, which go up to about 10,000 feet..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta,_Colorado is the general wiki page on Delta.

Downtown

Location in the State:

Its beautiful and ideal for gardening, farming, ranching - it is a gateway for further explorations into some of the most intense mountain scenario in Colorado that is reachable by driving.

Only about 8,915 people living there, so it isn't one of those places one is going to get overwhelmed in.

A view coming from Delta, taking 550 South towards Durango..

+ Reply to Thread