+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brains of elderly slow because they know so much

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Skywizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,727 times in 1,319 posts

Default Brains of elderly slow because they know so much

The brains of older people only appear to slow down because they have so much information to compute, much like a full-up hard drive, scientists believe.

Elderly people have so much information in their brain that it takes
    longer for them to access it, scientists believe

Older people do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe.
    Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full up, so to do humans take longer to access information, it has been suggested.
    Researchers say this slowing down it is not the same as cognitive decline.
    “The human brain works slower in old age,” said Dr. Michael Ramscar, “but only because we have stored more information over time
    “The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.”

Read Full Story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...w-so-much.html

peace...
    skywizard
    ~~ One foot in the Ancient World and the other in the Now ~~

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Skywizard For This Post:

aranuk (24th January 2014), Carmody (24th January 2014), fractal being (23rd January 2014), Gardener (23rd January 2014), genevieve (23rd January 2014), GreenGuy (23rd January 2014), Johnny (24th January 2014), raregem (23rd January 2014), rgray222 (24th January 2014), RunningDeer (25th January 2014), Shezbeth (23rd January 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (23rd January 2014), ulli (23rd January 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Heartsong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 times in 498 posts

Default Re: Brains of elderly slow because they know so much

Ah Hah! I suspected as much.
    I find I don't want to learn the newest electronic gadgetry. It's like eating way too much. My brain feels stuffed and it just wants to be left to rest awhile.
    My brain enjoys stimulation, it just doesn't want to retain anything more.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Heartsong For This Post:

aranuk (24th January 2014), Ellisa (24th January 2014), fractal being (23rd January 2014), Gardener (23rd January 2014), GreenGuy (23rd January 2014), Johnny (24th January 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (23rd January 2014), ulli (23rd January 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 times in 534 posts

Thats why we forget previous lives can you imagine how slow life would be if you remembered every moment of every life.... LOL

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to phillipbbg For This Post:

aranuk (24th January 2014), Ellisa (24th January 2014), fractal being (23rd January 2014), Johnny (24th January 2014), selinam (23rd January 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (23rd January 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,004 times in 2,540 posts

I seriously do not believe this. I worked with an 87 year old man who taught himself Spanish, wrote a novel, painted many fantastic art works, and was a working architect and photographer. IMO, if you don't use it, you lose it.

This sounds like it could be more "Dumber is better and safer" propaganda to me. I'm not buying in.

From the Heart,
    Kristin

8. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Kristin For This Post:

13th Warrior (23rd January 2014), aranuk (24th January 2014), Ellisa (24th January 2014), genevieve (26th January 2014), guayabal (24th January 2014), Johnny (24th January 2014), markpierre (23rd January 2014), phillipbbg (24th January 2014), PurpleLama (23rd January 2014), RunningDeer (25th January 2014), selinam (23rd January 2014), sheme (23rd January 2014), Strat (24th January 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (23rd January 2014), toothpick (26th January 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

Interesting article. After the past 2 months of going onto the Bulletproofexec.com way of eating I would differ with this. If your brain is slow might I suggest you try a month of their suggestions. You will be amazed at how mentally sharp your brain grows in such a short time. I decided to quantify the changes in my brain through Lumosity because I was having such a profound internal change. My brain 'tests' as equal to that of a 30 year old person now in its ability to learn, speed of learning, ability to figure out problems, and flexibility.

My suggestion is that most older people have brains that are starving and also that are clogged with toxins from the foods we eat. I noticed this study was done in the UK where wheat products and other grains are eaten on a daily basis. When these are eliminated and a diet which is anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal in nature is adopted all of the 'slowness' is reversed.

Just saying.... this looks like a lie to explain a modern world epidemic to me.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (23rd January 2014), aranuk (24th January 2014), Carmody (24th January 2014), fractal being (23rd January 2014), Johnny (24th January 2014), Kristin (23rd January 2014), PurpleLama (23rd January 2014), RunningDeer (25th January 2014), Strat (24th January 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 353 posts

Some old people, they have a small vegetable garden, grand or grand grand children, a dog/cat/pet/children or a husband/housewife, a hobby or even sometimes being an activist for something.
    If there is a purpose to stay here and more infomation to gather, the longer stay this people here. Depends on the individual. It is just a feeling, but a brain can contain a lot more information and what is not necessary will go somewhere into a small storage room.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zampano For This Post:

aranuk (24th January 2014), Ellisa (24th January 2014), Johnny (24th January 2014), Kristin (24th January 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Quote Posted by Dawn (here)
    Interesting article. After the past 2 months of going onto the Bulletproofexec.com way of eating I would differ with this. If your brain is slow might I suggest you try a month of their suggestions. You will be amazed at how mentally sharp your brain grows in such a short time. I decided to quantify the changes in my brain through Lumosity because I was having such a profound internal change. My brain 'tests' as equal to that of a 30 year old person now in its ability to learn, speed of learning, ability to figure out problems, and flexibility.

My suggestion is that most older people have brains that are starving and also that are clogged with toxins from the foods we eat. I noticed this study was done in the UK where wheat products and other grains are eaten on a daily basis. When these are eliminated and a diet which is anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal in nature is adopted all of the 'slowness' is reversed.

Just saying.... this looks like a lie to explain a modern world epidemic to me.
    Grass fed eggs, beef and butter will probably work miracles for them, 20 years ago my great grandparents were in their mid 90's they smoked, ate lard on their sandwiches and their brains worked fine until the day they died, something changed and most of us here have a pretty good idea what it is.

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

This is just more BS from the controllers! They want us to believe this little feel good story so we don't look at the real reason we slow down, the poisonous environment.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

aranuk (24th January 2014), Carmody (24th January 2014), foreverfan (25th January 2014), Johnny (24th January 2014), markpierre (23rd January 2014), sheme (23rd January 2014)

16. Link to Post #9
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

Perhaps what they were trying to say is that the information is there but the retrieval is slower! But it's there in the end. There is no doubt that memory in old age is sometimes patchy or unreliable. Sometimes non-verbal non-responsive old people will react to music and sing every word of a remembered song, or respond to the 'companion' animals with affection and smiling. Of course many can reach very old age relatively unimpaired. My own mother cared for herself until 94 when her physical frailty meant she needed 24-hour care. She died at 98, still bossing people around and taking a very shrewd view of the world!

Most of us find (or will find out in time) that we need to be aware of the need to exercise our brain. I always wanted to paint, so I started Art lessons, and my friend learned Italian! I agree with Zampano-- A feeling of purpose is important, being involved in life, helping within the community, keeping up with trends-- but I do agree with Heartsong. By the time I've worked out the latest electronic thing it's been discarded and the next toy has arrived!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

aranuk (24th January 2014), Johnny (24th January 2014)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,108 times in 1,389 posts

Quote Posted by Skywizard (here)
    The brains of older people only appear to slow down because they have so much information to compute, much like a full-up hard drive, scientists believe.

Elderly people have so much information in their brain that it takes
    longer for them to access it, scientists believe

Older people do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists believe.
    Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full up, so to do humans take longer to access information, it has been suggested.
    Researchers say this slowing down it is not the same as cognitive decline.
    “The human brain works slower in old age,” said Dr. Michael Ramscar, “but only because we have stored more information over time
    “The brains of older people do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.”

Read Full Story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...w-so-much.html

peace...
    skywizard
    I believe I can translate it, like this. Having big memory chips but old version of processor

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tangri For This Post:

aranuk (24th January 2014), Ellisa (24th January 2014), Heartsong (24th January 2014), Johnny (24th January 2014), Skywizard (24th January 2014)

20. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Skywizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,727 times in 1,319 posts

Quote Posted by Tangri (here)
    I believe I can translate it, like this. Having big memory chips but old version of processor
    That's bout right Tangri... I thank
    ~~ One foot in the Ancient World and the other in the Now ~~

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skywizard For This Post:

aranuk (24th January 2014), Ellisa (24th January 2014), Johnny (24th January 2014)

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,374 times in 1,941 posts

I was going to comment, but on reflection I have so many other things rattling around in this old head of mine.

Stan
    If you don't follow your spirit without hesitation, you end up following your hesitation without spirit.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aranuk For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (24th January 2014), Carmody (24th January 2014), Ellisa (24th January 2014), Johnny (24th January 2014), Skywizard (24th January 2014)

24. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member foreverfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,085 times in 528 posts

I know I have to forget something in order to remember it. Age 55

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,108 times in 1,389 posts

Quote Posted by foreverfan (here)
    I know I have to forget something in order to remember it. Age 55
    And translate this with my own version

I Know, I have to forget somethings in order not to harm my self or others.

+ Reply to Thread