+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Do we have any more vegans in the house?

1. Link to Post #1
    Great Britain Avalon Member mpod001's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Do we have any more vegans in the house?

Namaste,

I have been vegetarian for a year and have decided to go a step further and adopt a vegan lifestyle. It is a much healthier lifestyle and there is a lot to be said about eliminating dairy products, as well as meat.

I would recommend anyone watching "Forks Over Knives", a documentary all about why veganism is healthier and why meat and dairy is so bad for you! Here is a link to the documentary!

http://www.alluc.to/documentaries/wa...ne/329436.html

Are there any other vegans on this forum that can offer any advice and guidance at all?

Thanks

Martin

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mpod001 For This Post:

161803398 (27th January 2014), Abhaya (30th January 2014), Agape (29th January 2014), Akasha (29th January 2014), blufire (29th January 2014), Camilo (29th January 2014), Hip Hipnotist (26th January 2014), Lettherebelight (26th January 2014), mab777 (27th January 2014), WhiteFeather (27th January 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Hip Hipnotist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,153 times in 314 posts

Default Re: Do we have any more vegans in the house?

Speaking for myself ( who else can I speak for? ) I became vegan a couple years ago for health reasons. A heart attack and quad bypass surgery will get your attention. It got mine.

Really long story really short -- since becoming vegan; no more sickness, no more meds NONE. There were so many I lost count.

If you're a vegetarian the leap to vegan is not difficult as you're mostly already there.

Everyone's mileage varies but those I know ( who are vegan ) ain't ever goin' back to Wendy's. ( No offense, Wendy ) ;-)

BTW: The vegan topic has been discussed many times here and always opens up a can of worms. Perhaps this time it will open up a can of spinach. ;-))

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Hip Hipnotist For This Post:

161803398 (27th January 2014), Abhaya (30th January 2014), Akasha (29th January 2014), Camilo (29th January 2014), chocolate (29th January 2014), DeDukshyn (29th January 2014), Elainie (30th January 2014), Holly Lindin (2nd February 2014), Knowrainknowrainbows! (27th January 2014), Kryztian (27th January 2014), Lettherebelight (26th January 2014), Limor Wolf (27th January 2014), meeradas (27th January 2014), mpod001 (26th January 2014), onawah (31st January 2014), sheme (27th January 2014), WhiteFeather (27th January 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Great Britain Avalon Member mpod001's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey,

A can of worms hey? I'm intrigued! haha!

That is a wonderful testimony to veganism, and from your picture you really do look the picture of optimal health

I'm just a little unfamiliar with all these vegan foods and how to put a meal together haha! Sounds ridiculous I know, but this is the truth haha! Any good suggestions at all?

Thanks

Martin

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mpod001 For This Post:

161803398 (27th January 2014), Abhaya (30th January 2014), Akasha (29th January 2014), blufire (27th January 2014), Elainie (30th January 2014), Hip Hipnotist (27th January 2014), Kryztian (27th January 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Hip Hipnotist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,153 times in 314 posts

Thanks for your generous words regarding my 'optimal health' look.

It's amazing what you can accomplish with Photoshop.

All seriousness aside, I researched a plenty and went ( mostly ) with Dr. John McDougall's diet/suggestions. Mostly starched based; potatoes, ( brown ) rice, beans, pasta ( whole grain or wheat ) corn etc. The best part of this diet ( for me ) is that it's so simple to prepare. Of course include plenty of vegetables, dark leafy greens etc. and ( some ) fruit. It's best to just go to his website ( google ) and check it out. There are many other vegan diets by medical professionals ( google again ) to peruse at your leisure. Just find one that appeals to you and 'dig in'.

Of course, exercise, little stress and other lifestyle changes will go a long way in keeping you healthy. Another suggestion would be to hook up with a medical professional who can monitor your progress. Blood in particular. Aside from feeling great having your blood checked, especially in the beginning is a good way to know just how well you're doing. My PCP is also vegan and believe me that helps. If there's a problem she corrects with food/suppliments first before going into the medicine cabinet. It's worked for me.

You just have to find a vegan diet that appeals to you. You can go in many different directions.

Also, I need to point out that eating a starch based diet does not make me fat.

Unless you consider 140 lbs on a 5'11" frame fat. ;-))

Bon Appetit, my friend!
    Last edited by Hip Hipnotist; 27th January 2014 at 06:55.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hip Hipnotist For This Post:

161803398 (27th January 2014), Abhaya (30th January 2014), Akasha (29th January 2014), blufire (27th January 2014), Elainie (29th January 2014), meeradas (27th January 2014), mpod001 (27th January 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member nzreva's Avatar
    Thanks

I have been a ovo vegetarian since 1999. I became a vegan, over a year ago, after watching Dr Greger's video on eggs, , and low grade infections, which I had. In 14 days, as he said in his video, it was gone. Since I have been vegan.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nzreva For This Post:

161803398 (27th January 2014), Abhaya (30th January 2014), Akasha (29th January 2014), Camilo (29th January 2014), mpod001 (27th January 2014), Paladin14 (27th January 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 times in 145 posts

I became a vegan 6 months or go (give or take) and never looked back - and this is coming from a former raging carnivore. At the same time my wife became vegetarian - it was something we had both discussed for some time and when the switch happened with me it was instantaneous so she hopped on board. It was a running joke for awhile that we were vegan with an unpaid charge to our credit cardl to a well known steakhouse.

As far as diet changes, I don't know what kind of vegan awareness you have in your country, but even eating out most places should be able to accommodate you somehow. And you'd be surprised how many recipes can be converted to vegan friendly ones! My wife makes incredible vegan banana pancakes and vegan chocolate chip cookies that our kids love - with a little experimentation you can keep the same flavors while adding a lot of nutrition. I'd be happy to send over the recipe - shoot me a PM.

I'm not sure how much of a change a vegetarian to a vegan diet will be for your energy levels, but for me from the first month I felt incredible - I stopped drinking my afternoon coffee because I just didn't need it anymore.

As Hip Hipnotist put it, Bon Appetit!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Libico For This Post:

Akasha (29th January 2014), Elainie (30th January 2014), Hip Hipnotist (30th January 2014), mpod001 (27th January 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Vegan looks nice and all but looks like Vegans need to supplement alot of stuff too.

calories, saturated fat, cholesterol, long-chain omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, calcium, zinc and vitamin B12. These arent overly hard to supplement or fortified foods with maybe the exception of cholesterol and saturated fat being alittle harder to take in.

I imagine there is more that has to be supplemented to so hope you guys are doing that.

I wont say much as I havent really looked into it or know much about it and to tired to bother right now. Maybe after some sleep.
    Last edited by pyriel; 27th January 2014 at 09:11.

14. Link to Post #8
    Germany Avalon Member The Truth Is In There's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,645 times in 726 posts

tried vegetarianism and also veganism several years ago. never felt so bad in my life as when i had been vegan for a year or longer. i'd never recommend this to anyone. it's not surprising that there are no indigenous people anywhere in the world who are vegans. it's not a healthy lifestyle, no matter what some people say, it's new age nonsense.
    Among the blind the one-eyed is a madman.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Truth Is In There For This Post:

bruno dante (30th January 2014), Camilo (29th January 2014), chocolate (29th January 2014)

16. Link to Post #9
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Quote much healthier lifestyle and there is a lot to be said about eliminating dairy products, as well as meat.
    Grass fed meat, eggs, butter and milk are not remotely as bad as corn/ grain fed, same goes for wild fatty fish, its an evolutionary thing, animal fat builds big brains, that's how we got here, by eating the slowest and youngest animals whenever we got the chance, keeping in mind the reproductive cycle of course, life might have started in Africa in a good climate with a long growing season, but even monkeys eat meat, guess how that fits in in our own evolutionary path, I''l remove myself from this minefield now and leave you with the following message, there was and is no perfect on time delivery system in nature, no supermarkets, you eat whatever is slower or dumber then you or cant walk at all and is in season and what is in season is not automatically in abundance, you ate what was at hand or feet, this has been the way of nature for hundreds of millions of years, imo human vegetarianism is luxury thing, sponsored by big agro and the fake environmental movement, in nature the way to stay alive without burning to much calories catching it is usually............. to eat babies, that's why large litters are born or many eggs are laid, most of it is lost by becoming something else's dinner. Even plants take this in to account, their seeds or nuts become somethings dinner too, so they produce a lot of it.

Don't want to spoil your thread or criticize your personal choice but see the below two videos, first is educational, second is for entertainment only, and it makes sense.

See clips below.

Last edited by 778 neighbour of some guy; 29th January 2014 at 12:09.

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,123 times in 1,385 posts

I've been vegan for around 6 months and have never felt better! I was vegetarian for 10 years before that. I don't supplement at all and feel that the claims of vegans needing to supplement this and that are exaggerated, unless of course they are eating junk vegan food rather than a healthy and balanced diet.

I will also add that after a couple of months of being vegan, a long term boney growth on the knuckle of one of my toes completely disappeared.

Good luck with your culinary quest mpod001 and feel free to ask more specific questions.

Best.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Abhaya (30th January 2014), bruno dante (30th January 2014)

19. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,169 times in 1,448 posts

Hi mpod001 ,

Really tempting not to comment. I will try to suppress my highly volatile personality when I have to deal with topics such as this.

I will start by just throwing some questions:

- How much information you have gathered for all the sides of the story? And I mean real information that deals with all the 'pros' and 'cons'?
    - Do you intend to have healthy children and a healthy family, if you don't already?
    - Do you think at 31 your body needs a bit different nutrition than when you are 60-70 years of age?
    - Do you really believe you need to be a vegan, or is it just the path of rediscovering your true nature speaking? Why you need to be a vegan? For physical reasons, spiritual reasons, philosophy, rebellion against the current status quo...
    - Do you understand the concept of the energy behind everything you come in contact with, even your thoughts?
    - Have you paid attention to your teeth- how they are shaped and such, and why it is like that?

Do not get me wrong, I only have your best interest at heart.

And before drawing the conclusion I hate the vegan or the vegetarian life choice- I am a vegetarian, have been for almost all my life.
    And I can answer every single question here to explain my choice.

Quote Posted by Hip Hipnotist (here)

BTW: The vegan topic has been discussed many times here and always opens up a can of worms. Perhaps this time it will open up a can of spinach. ;-))
    Quote Posted by mpod001 (here)

I have been vegetarian for a year and have decided to go a step further and adopt a vegan lifestyle.
    Are there any other vegans on this forum that can offer any advice and guidance at all?

Martin
    I am sure there are many people coming from all corners of the world, chances are many are vegetarian, many eat meat, some avoid certain types of meat, other are vegans, we are as different as you can imagine, I would imagine.
    I wonder why the question?

I think this forum, as amazing as it is, is not the place to discuss exactly that. We gather here mostly for other reasons.
    Last edited by chocolate; 29th January 2014 at 13:47.

20. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,580 times in 5,817 posts

I never enter these threads...

It is impossible to discuss a vegan diet on this forum without being challenged or attacked. Meat eating is more powerful than religion to some people, hunting is as a sacrament to some. They cannot sit quietly and allow you to discuss this topic. They feel threatened, challenged, or feel that it is their duty to guide you away from "the insanity of veganism", for your own good.

This thread will almost undoubtedly end up locked, as all threads on either meat eating are challenged by vegans and all threads on veganism are challenged by meat eaters. Everybody ***KNOWS*** they are right and the other guy is wrong.

I'd recommend you buy some books and/or search for a forum dedicated to veganism if you want to discuss the diet, get recipes, etc.

Dennis

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Abhaya (30th January 2014), Akasha (29th January 2014), Camilo (29th January 2014), chocolate (29th January 2014), Limor Wolf (29th January 2014), MorningFox (30th January 2014)

22. Link to Post #13
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,709 times in 1,042 posts

I’m sure most on the forum know I am one of the more outspoken for the omnivores or those of us who choice to include meat in their diet.

As I rule, I have only (lately) entered the brouhaha on these topics when there is vehement and nasty accusations and superiority posturing from vegans and vegetarians. The last one being the thread on “The Judgmental Vegan Bitch”

I feel mpod001 (Martin) has presented a very fair question and desire to find out more about the vegan diet and lifestyle and should have all opportunity to discuss and explore this possibility for himself and therefore giving others to go down this road to see if it is their path as well.

The best way to make decisions and learn and become wiser in ones journey is to explore all options and possibilities. Turn over all those rocks and look around every corner.

If you head down a road a ways and find out that (through experience) it is a mistake or not the best option you can put ‘er in reverse and backup to the next path or branch off in another direction. But I have found the best choices I have made in my life are from my own personal experiences and hands on understanding . . . .they are clearer and become good foundations to build from.

I would like to see this thread become that place where vegans and vegetarians flesh (no pun intended ) out their diet lifestyle. I would like to see this thread become a celebration of this path that many have taken and are exploring.

I think some would be surprised to know that I actually eat far less meat than most omnivores. I think some would be surprised to know that I have volumes of information as a clinical herbalist and nutritionist for vegetarians. I think many would be surprised to know I have some scrumptious recipes from my organic gardens, seasonal harvests and homestead.

So I would like to pose a truce and treaty of sorts between the vegan/vegetarians and omnivores for this thread.

If the vegans and vegetarians can stay the course in discussing of how to pursue this diet lifestyle with out slamming and disparaging we omnivores then I feel strongly that we omnivores should give them a safe space to explore this path and everything that can make this chosen path as easy and healthy as possible.

So as a quasi ‘leader’ (I guess) of the omnivores I would like to propose that we stay out of this thread and stop posting the same tired information, stop the defensive posturing . . . .we should be gracious (as in all things) and allow them (and all) a safe place to discuss and interact.

I would just please ask that this thread not become yet another thread where all the omnivores (meat eaters) are yet again made out to be lumbering unspiritual murderers and the reason for many of the horrible global atrocities. Please don’t go down the tired old negative road that if we all would just become vegans or vegetarians that somehow all these atrocities would magically disappear.

Celebrate your diet lifestyle with all it has to offer in a time that has so many options and resources to support and enable you to be successful and thrive while you explore this path.

What do you say? Truce?

23. Link to Post #14
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

Quote Posted by The Truth Is In There (here)
    tried vegetarianism and also veganism several years ago. never felt so bad in my life as when i had been vegan for a year or longer. i'd never recommend this to anyone. it's not surprising that there are no indigenous people anywhere in the world who are vegans. it's not a healthy lifestyle, no matter what some people say, it's new age nonsense.
    Ignorant, uninformed nonsense. Clearly you were not eating the correct things. Simply being vegan does not mean being healthy, you still must eat a balanced diet.
    Last edited by MorningFox; 29th January 2014 at 17:01.

24. Link to Post #15
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,709 times in 1,042 posts

Hey Morningfox,

It sounds like you may have some personal experience with this diet lifestyle . . . . . . what daily/weekly menu foods really helped you to optimize your holistic health? If you bought these at your local market what were good brands you could rely on?

What were some possible indicators (if any) that you needed vitamin or supplementation and then could you suggest supplements that were good brands to use.

If local organic fresh foods of if certain vitamin/mineral supplements are too costly what could be some good cheaper substitutes or alternatives?

When working with vegetarians and especially vegans in the past I have found that omega 3’s (essential fatty acids) can be a nutritional element to stay on top of . . . . . what do you eat or supplement with to make sure you are getting all those essential acids? What are some of your warning signs that your body may need this type of nutrition (if at all)?

I know I have to make sure my omega 6’s (mainly from meat sources) aren’t canceling out or overriding my omega 3’s. Both of these are essential fatty acids but have to be balanced . . . . because I do eat meat I find that I (personally) have to make sure I eat fresh sources of omega 3’s which for me is (largely) through my free range organic eggs and bunches of dark leafy greens . . . . like these from my winter low tunnels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2075.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	24671  

25. Link to Post #16
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,405 times in 1,922 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)

It is impossible to discuss a vegan diet on this forum without being challenged or attacked. Meat eating is more powerful than religion to some people, hunting is as a sacrament to some. They cannot sit quietly and allow you to discuss this topic. They feel threatened, challenged, or feel that it is their duty to guide you away from "the insanity of veganism", for your own good.

This thread will almost undoubtedly end up locked, as all threads on either meat eating are challenged by vegans and all threads on veganism are challenged by meat eaters. Everybody ***KNOWS*** they are right and the other guy is wrong.

I'd recommend you buy some books and/or search for a forum dedicated to veganism if you want to discuss the diet, get recipes, etc.

Dennis
    I concur.....
    Last edited by Camilo; 29th January 2014 at 19:46.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camilo For This Post:

chocolate (29th January 2014), Dennis Leahy (29th January 2014)

27. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,204 times in 4,590 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)

Dennis

..to the tune of old good BBC news reports ... the whole Existence of Vegetarianism and so called Vegan-ism in our society seems to be classified and shrouded in cloud of deepest mystery .

Enough to say that Steve Jobs was a vegetarian , Mahatma Gandhi was a vegetarian , even Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian . These are but few dangerous people on our list to quote .

( news to be read in still deeper mournful tone ..)

There's something taking place in mind of every vegetarian ..that we can't fully understand . The best of our scientists are trying their best to keep the whole issue under cover ,
    in order to prevent destabilisation of natural predatory food chain , so called Gaia Biosphere where all this drama started and takes place for millions of years ..

It's not only that meat eaters fear losing their dinner today , they feel their very Existence is indeed , endangered by vegetarianism influencing every part and parcel of human society,
    nay even animal society because those animals dependent on humans can be turned vegetarian as well.

No one knows where are self-destructive mechanisms and their keys of the whole Gaya food chain , where are they keys ..
    but we fear it's Vegetarians who hide them from you and me .

Classified

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Abhaya (30th January 2014), chocolate (29th January 2014), onawah (31st January 2014)

29. Link to Post #18
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

To expand on my previous post, I am a vegetarian who doesn't try to advocate and tout this type of relationship with food.

I know why I am doing it, and it is based exclusively on personal preference, health issues, mental psychological issues, and probably a a few more. I have learned along the way that best balance is established by consuming vegetarian and animal food in good proportions and with a good quality. In a way I even consider vegetarian and its worst version vegan type of diet dangerous to the human health especially when the person is in his early years of age and in reproductive age. But I had to sit and answer all of my above question in a period of time and after many trials and errors.

I guess everyone will try to rediscover the wheel for himself, so simple pointing in the right direction sometimes can save a lot of problems in the longer run.
    Right now there is a vast amount of information out. On the forum- as well.
    probably it is just me that when I have questions I first do a forum search to see what the people have already written, after we seem to be walking similar paths. I for one very young here have a bit of an idea who could be considered vegetarian based on the posts written.

To just say- this is wrong or that is right is a bit of a mistake. And to ask if there are people on the forum who are vegan is a question that I personally understand, but find strange. In a 100 people probably 1-2-4 or 10 would be, simply relying on mathematics and statistics alone.

There is not 'one size fits all' when it comes to food as well as with everything else.
    Last edited by chocolate; 29th January 2014 at 22:14.

30. Link to Post #19
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mpod001 (here)
    Namaste,

Martin
    Guidance- inform yourself.
    Advice- don't do it.

Peace and love, and don't be angry with my posts, I mean you well.

31. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,486 times in 420 posts

Veganism, as all other diets is a choice. I never criticise what kind of clothes someone wear, and not what they eat as well. All choices we make has an outcome. We are what we eat. I am a vegan-chef on a professional basis, one of Stockholms best and most experienced. I also happen to be an omnivore, or opportunistic vegetarian as I sometimes say.
    Veganism would never have gotten so much attention if it wasn´t for the extreme overconsumption of meat, and the associated disrespectful treatment of cattle etc. Its a reaction to something perverse, like satanism is to abrahamistic religions. When something is wrong people tend to overreact to the other extreme.

PM me if you have any questions regarding vegan-cooking.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metaphor For This Post:

Agape (29th January 2014), Akasha (30th January 2014), Camilo (29th January 2014), Conchis (30th January 2014), spiritwind (30th January 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast