+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Do we have any more vegans in the house?

1. Link to Post #41
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,709 times in 1,042 posts

Default Re: Do we have any more vegans in the house?

Come on guys . . . . same ‘ole info . . . . same ‘ole arguments being regurgitated here.

How about we guide this thread to how someone can BE successful in exploring this diet lifestyle?

How does someone on a limited budget afford to buy the volumes of fresh veggies and fruit, lets say, for juicing? What could be their options?

What are some of your weekly menus? How do you switch entrees around for say seasonal eating and harvests?

What are some warning signs that you may need supplementation or need to add certain elements to your diet (nuts, greens, fruit, grains . . .)

Be honest in how the raw vegan guys build their bodies like that with extreme supplementing and volumes of food and calorie daily intake.

Be honest with the fact the 70 year old woman has had some plastic surgery to help her look as fantastic as she does. No one reaches her age with perfect eye tissue like that and it is obvious her nose has been altered.

Nothing wrong at all with these things . . . just be honest with ALL that it takes to be optimally healthy and successful with this lifestyle or any lifestyle. Try to make sure there is no deception in what you are presenting.

If you want more people to become vegan or vegetarian or raw then give them the info to obtain this herbivore lifestyle and stop haranguing them (us) or guilt tripping them into it, which ultimately leads to failure. Help those who want to explore this build from a foundation that is strong and most of all positive.

By the way check out my profile picture. This picture was taken when I was 52 (now 54). I am a lifelong omnivore (meat eater) and absolutely no plastic surgery or ‘help’ . . . . I am 100% natural. I take no medication of any sort, other than ibuprofen or aspirin when I am injured on the farm. I am often told I look many years younger than my actual age.

2. Link to Post #42
    United States Avalon Member Elainie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,546 times in 787 posts

I've met Annette Larkin's BTW- she has not had plastic surgery according to her. Now of course black skin doesn't age as fast either. Karyn also looks great but I am pretty sure she's had some work done. Tonya Zavasta is another woman (although younger to check out) because she went from looking old to youthing herself http://www.beautifulonraw.com/. I don't say that all long term raw or vegans look great, I know many long termers that don't look so hot. It takes diligence with skin care and keeping your face out of the sun, facial yoga/exercises etc;

I spent more money on groceries when my family ate a WAP diet- that was many years ago but it was more expensive. Truth is we don't eat a large volume of food, 4 of us (me, my husband and 2 eldest are intermittent fasters and follow CR to a degree).
    We juice citrus, carrots, greens etc; vegetables like carrots and celery are pretty cheap to juice, just add in some dark leafy's and you have a nice juice. Growing your own micro greens and sprouts is really cheap (the Hippocrates green juice for example made with sunflower sprouts is very nutritious).
    It is true that many of the vegan body builders use a plant protein source to accomplish their physiques. But there are some who don't- Chris Califano is one example of a long term raw vegan low fat fruitarian who has quite a physique IMO http://www.thefirstsupper.com/

I don't say everyone will be successful on a vegan diet, I do believe in biochemical individuality as well as the genetic component (an APOE2 for example is not suited well for a plant exclusive diet).

As far as deficiencies etc; I get tested and I am always tweaking my diet to meet current fitness and wellness goals.

Meal plans- I eat fairly simple- I don't advocate this for all. I start my daily eating in the late afternoon and have a juice. Then I have some juicy fruit. Dinner is a mix of raw and sometimes cooked low fat vegan fare.I will eat a snack and then when I come home from the gym I have a green smoothie- sometimes I use hemp protein in it.

My children eat a higher fat diet (except for the oldest who eats low fat because like me she has to) with overts coming from homemade young coconut yogurt, avocados and some nuts/seeds.

I also want to say that at one point I really tried to micro manage all my nutrient intakes etc; so things were perfect, I ate a lot of super foods, experimented with supplements and in the end I found what works best for me is simplicity but that took time to get to that level.
    Last edited by Elainie; 31st January 2014 at 16:34.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Akasha (31st January 2014), DeDukshyn (1st February 2014), onawah (1st February 2014)

4. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

Some more thoughts on veganism. There isn't just one vegan diet out there but many to explore from and see what resonates with you and what you can actually thrive on. As I said I have explored most- I grew up on a natural hygiene diet until age 12 , then I discovered macrobiotics because my best friend's mom was a macro cooking teacher. I went on to learn how to cook that for myself at age 12 and went onto becoming a macro cooking teacher. That diet I actually did not fare well on. My hormones were very imbalanced, I was fatigued etc; so at age 23/24 I tried my first piece of meat (seared elk) hoping it would set me straight. The next 10 years I experimented with WAP, raw primal diet and paleo. Then I went back to veganism in the form of standard high fat Sunfood raw food diet, again the next 10 years were also a time of experimentation with various raw vegan diets until I settled on what I feel works well for me (there were also a few times in the past 10 years where I experimented with raw eggs, raw goat dairy, lightly cooked eggs and some raw fish). I enjoy listening to Rich Roll's podcasts these days with various vegan athletes, MD's etc; as well as Micheal Gregor MD and even Dr. Klaper. I've shifted away from reading the raw *gurus* recommendations/advice just because I find it to be a lot of *hot air* so to speak. So my advice would be to keep experimenting if you want to go down this route until something clicks- your body will know when it does and pay close attention to how your body feels. I don't believe in one magic macronutrient ratio either, one has to experiment with that according to their fitness needs/goals.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Abhaya (31st January 2014), Akasha (31st January 2014), DeDukshyn (1st February 2014), onawah (1st February 2014)

6. Link to Post #44
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,123 times in 1,385 posts

Quote Posted by 778 neighbour of some guy (here)
    Quote True spiritual insights will bring with them peace. I would posit that they will be maddening if you then do eat meat, not if you don't.
    ......Genghis Khan, Pol Pot, Hitler, Manson, Volkert van der Graaf, .........Dalai Lama......
    Dear 778 (and Mahalall),

Apologies for my response being all too brief. Maybe if I had elaborated, you wouldn't have felt the need to present your lengthy response, so I will attempt to do so now.

I had a knee-jerk reaction to Malahall's statement because my own very extreme experiences contradicted it so profoundly.
    In '99 I was detained under section 3 of the UK mental health act for a period of 5 months. At the end of that 5 months I staggered out, heavily and compulsorily medicated. The same process happened at least once annually for the next 3 years until in 2003 I'd been sectioned a total of 7 times. It was on what turned out to be my final admission that I went vegetarian. The profound changes that took place as a result allowed me to walk out of the section 3 ward less than a month later medication free!
    Those unfortunate enough to have experienced the uk psychiatric system first-hand will be aware that being released from section 3 unmedicated is practically unheard of.

I hope that gives you some insight into why I responded to Mahalall the way I did.

Best.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Abhaya (4th February 2014), mahalall (4th February 2014), onawah (1st February 2014)

8. Link to Post #45
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mpod001 (here)
    ......Are there any other vegans on this forum that can offer any advice and guidance at all?

Thanks

Martin
    On transitioning to veganism from vegetarianism, my biggest problem was replacing butter with something actually palatable. All margerine I tried was miserable to say the least as well as being hydrogenated to death, so I decided I would try and make something.
    I actually inadvertently started out by trying to find vegannaise recipes on youtube and after watching several it became apparent that it was basically two thirds oil, one third soya milk and a variety of seasoning such as lemon juice, vinegar, garlic.......according to taste.
    After I'd made that a few times I decided to experiment with just adding nutritional yeast and a pinch of salt instead of the vinegar/lemon and in so doing came up with a really tasty spread for putting on my toast.
    I've since refined it by replacing some of the (cold pressed) sunflower oil with hemp seed oil and so here's the recipe:

50 ml hempseed oil (cold pressed)

100 ml sunflower oil (cold pressed)

75 ml soya milk

2 tbls nutritional yeast

pinch of salt to taste

Directions: add together and blend. The oil and the milk will emulsify to form a thick cream.

This recipe fills up a small glass jar and should be refrigerated. I found that making larger portions resulted in it going off before being consumed.

By adding less nutrional yeast and just sunflower oil, it is possible to come up with a kind of vegan creme fraiche which works really well in creamy pasta dishes.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Abhaya (1st February 2014), DeDukshyn (2nd February 2014)

10. Link to Post #46
    Thanks

Meal plans- there are so many wonderful recipe books/online blogs etc;

We've had snow in the past two days so I had soaked some dried split peas Thursday and put up a simple pea soup (with celery, carrots and dill) for dinner last night. We had that along with a huge raw salad and some sprouted buckwheat sourdough bread from a local vegan cafe up the road from me that makes wonderful sourdough gluten free bread (we are all gluten free).

Prior to that I drank 64 ounces of juice and about an hour later ate half a papaya with a dollop of raw homemade young coconut yogurt. My 2 year old had a green smoothie for breakfast , a banana and a few hours later had some of the coconut yogurt with blueberries. Then he drank juice as well when I made it and went onto have dinner.

So that's pretty much what a typical day looks like for us around here. I make a lot of soup/salad dinners as they are easy to prepare, feed a lot of people and are pleasing to the family. I don't normally do any set weekly menus or anything like that but there are definite meals my family enjoys.

Tonight's menu is - spiralized zucchini noodles(which I blanch in the winter) with an *alfredo sauce* and a green salad with unroasted cherry tomatoes (tomatoes I put in the dehydrator). Usually I make my winter alfredo sauce with a cooked white potato, some soaked cashews and nutri yeast and a little chickpea miso but I found a nice recipe that just uses avocados so I might do that instead.
    Last edited by Elainie; 1st February 2014 at 20:39.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Abhaya (4th February 2014), Akasha (2nd February 2014), onawah (1st February 2014)

12. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

What I ate today:

breakfast: banana smoothie (7 bananas + water)

lunch: vegetable soup (potato, carrot, celeriac, parsnip,hot pepper, garlic, onion, parsley, celery leaves) + onion & garlic sourdough bread

afternoon snack: 5 large dates + 1/2 fresh coconut

evening: spring onion/soya pate on sourdough toast + sliced tomatoes (salt and peppered), hot peppers, mangold leaves, sliced garlic (all veggies raw)

later: fresh juice (apple, carrot, beetroot, mandarin, ginger)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

DeDukshyn (2nd February 2014)

14. Link to Post #48
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

For breakfast I had homemade buttermilk biscuits and gravy and 3 eggs from my flock of organic free range hens. Homemade butter and strawberry compote (from last year harvest) on extra biscuits. Earl Grey hot tea.

Lunch I am having leftover soup beans (6 different types of beans) and cornbread (honey from my bees on bread), lightly sautéed swiss chard (evoo and garlic) garlic and chard from my garden and chard is from my winter garden harvested yesterday.

Not saying what I am having for supper because it doesn’t fit on this thread . . . . but it involves a smoker and about 8 to 10 hours . . . .superbowl party at my house tonight!!

I have found that I require a minimum of 2500 calories a day from living on a homestead and doing heavy chores everyday.

. . . dang it . . . forgot this was vegan . . . . sorry about milk and eggs

15. Link to Post #49
    Thanks

Today's menu:
    2 year old had a celery and banana smoothie for breakfast while I had my usual water and then some rooibos tea. I will make some juice later on in the afternoon.

Dinner:
    Miso soup with shiitake mushrooms
    Raw vegan sushi rolls with coconut aminos in lieu of tamari and for dessert I am making a raw linzer torte I saw a nice recipe for online yesterday.
    http://fragrantvanillacake.blogspot....zer-torte.html

Snack: a few tangelos
    Last edited by Elainie; 2nd February 2014 at 19:30.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Abhaya (4th February 2014), Akasha (2nd February 2014), DeDukshyn (2nd February 2014)

17. Link to Post #50
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,438 times in 8,540 posts

I'm omnivore, but for supper last night I had some shahi paneer (think butter chicken, but with paneer instead of chicken). Dang, I guess that's no good for vegans either.

Well I had a few bites of fried potatoes for breakfast (I don't eat much) ...

Mmm ERK, Miso with shiitake sounds great!
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 2nd February 2014 at 19:22.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Abhaya (4th February 2014), Akasha (2nd February 2014)

19. Link to Post #51
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,169 times in 1,448 posts

from the whole video I mostly enjoyed ... his Nikes ( Frank is a vegan, or so it said someplace )

It is funny, because I am almost 100% vegan, but I don't restrict my self anymore to fit into any one model or label. And I still would say, to whoever would listen: "may be the truth is out there, in the middle of it all".
    And I also think, our minds are too much concentrated on the 'material' side of everything. If we are still alive, that is what matters to a degree, but how exactly we manage to do it a matter of preference and balance.

So instead of asking:
    Are there any vegans in the house
    I would ask:
    How do you manage to find your balance?

I am considering trying a ketogenic regimen for a while, for the good of my body and mind, and because I like to play god every once in a while:
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-benefits.aspx
    Last edited by chocolate; 3rd February 2014 at 14:24.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to chocolate For This Post:

Elainie (4th February 2014)

21. Link to Post #52
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hey ERK

I do not in any way want to sound confrontational or negative but I have a very serious question:

When I look at the menus or what you (and children) eat on a daily basis and count the calories you intake I have no idea how you can be healthy or at least not waste away to nothing.

How are you maintaining your health on so few calories a day?

An average young female should be minimally taking in 1200 calories a day to retain basic health.

Also for your children what are your essential fat sources for them and what are their caloric daily intake?

Lastly are you aware of the cholesterol essentials (both LDL and HDL) for proper nourishment of your brain matter (or structure)? Are you getting these cholesterols in your diet and especially your children’s?

I will reiterate . . . I am not being confrontational or negative . . . . just really concerned.

22. Link to Post #53
    Thanks

Bluefire- I eat between 1500 and 1800 calories a day. I still have about 10 pounds of pregnancy weight to shave off. Have you any idea how many calories are in 64 (and I often drink more juice than that) ounces of fresh pressed juices?
    My 2 year old is breastfed. He doesn't just nurse a few times a day, he nurses whenever he pleases so a lot of his caloric intake is from breast milk. The older kids make a lunch for themselves and that can range from leftovers to anything they fancy (they can prepare food fairly well).

I am more than aware of what is touted out there in the realm of nutritional info, I have a degree in nutrition and used to be a cholesterol *pusher* (I was a WAP chapter leader way back when) as I mentioned the kids eat a higher fat diet, my kids eat raw homemade coconut yogurt daily along with avocados, walnuts etc;
    Also when I had my 2 year old's Spectracell and Omega analysis done it was optimal. My heart lab nutritionist said mine was one of the best she had ever seen (my omega profile) so in that area I am definitely not concerned. What we were concerned about for me was at the time I had the test done I was still eating isolated fats (olive and coconut oils) and there is one portion of the test where all of my sitosterols were elevated to the red concern level which was another indicator that my body as genetically dictated cannot process isolated fats well (butter, lard, etc; are also isolated non whole food fats). As I said I took all that information to heart (pun intended) and have never looked back because once I ditched isolated fats a new level of health and energy was acquired. My running/workouts and recovery became so much easier, and the low level of inflammation I was experiencing vanished so for me the proof is in the pudding as to how I feel.

If anyone is interested as to why isolated fats are not the best health wise I would recommend Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn's information
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=b_o4YBQPKtQ

You might find the following podcast interesting http://www.askthelowcarbexperts.com/...s-good-vs-bad/ as it's from heart surgeon Steven Gundry speaking to paleo Jimmy Moore explaining to him that certain people ( I was once one of those who tooled around with paleo/primal/autoimmune paleo diet) who have the APOE4 gene cannot process fats/cholesterol like others can and have the worst lipid (and worse as art hero) profiles he's ever seen. I took that information VERY seriously as my own holistic MD was very concerned with the amount of fat I was consuming back then. Turns out I'm an APOE4, my MD and Gundry urged me to have a complete heart panel done and I've never looked back. I took advantage of the heart labs nutritionist who offers ongoing free consults and have to say it's been the best advice to date. As an APOE4 I have to be on a low fat diet- for life. So do my offspring. My oldest daughter recently went through the heart panel and gets her plaque scan this week as she was having angina from eating fatty foods like avocado. So she follows a more Dr. Esselstyn approach now, I follow more of a Furhman approach for the younger kids now etc;

A one size look at things doesn't work, for me it all comes down to genetics .
    http://www.bhlinc.com/clinicians/test-descriptions/ApoE

How Your ApoE Genes Lead to Diabetes or Heart Disease

If you have a family history of diabetes or heart disease, you no doubt have been told to watch your diet—to consume whole grains, olive oil, lean protein, tons of produce and maybe some red wine. But could some of those supposedly heart-healthy foods actually be increasing your risk? Yes, depending on a particular gene that you may have…a gene that even many doctors don’t know about.
    Your family’s ailments may be linked to a gene known as apolipoprotein E (ApoE), which determines how your body metabolizes certain foods. According to cardiologist Suzanne Steinbaum, DO, author of Dr. Suzanne Steinbaum’s Heart Book, if your diet suits your ApoE type, you should be able to avoid following in your family’s unfortunate medical footsteps. “The ApoE genotype is like a light switch—it is going to activate only if you turn it on by eating foods that are wrong for your type,” she said.
    There are three genotypes (gene subtypes) associated with the gene—ApoE-2, ApoE-3 and ApoE-4. A person inherits one of these from each parent.
    About two-thirds of people have a “3/3” pairing, meaning they inherited ApoE-3 from their mother and Apo-E 3 from their father. These lucky folks don’t need to adhere too closely to any particular type of diet in order to avoid heart disease and diabetes, provided they follow a reasonably healthful diet, control their weight, exercise regularly and don’t smoke.
    However…
    People who inherited the ApoE-2 gene from one or both parents (a bit more than 10% of the population) have trouble metabolizing carbohydrates. This makes them prone to diabetes.
    People who inherited the ApoE-4 gene from one or both parents (just over 20% of the population) can’t handle fat. This increases their risk for coronary artery disease.
    An unlucky minority (less than 2% of the population) have a “2/4” pairing—meaning they inherited ApoE-2 from one parent and Apo-E 4 from the other parent—and thus are prone to both diabetes and coronary artery disease.
    TELLING YOUR TYPE
    A blood test can determine which genotype you have inherited. Dr. Steinbaum often recommends the test because she has found that patients generally comply better with dietary advice when there’s a scientific indication that a particular diet will be especially protective for them. Some insurance policies cover the test (which costs about $150 or more, depending on the lab), so ask your insurance company.
    If you choose not to get the blood test, you can get some idea—though not with certainty—of whether you carry the ApoE-2 and/or ApoE-4 genes.
    People who inherited the ApoE-2 gene from one or both parents tend to have…
    High triglycerides and blood sugar, and…
    A family history of diabetes and obesity.
    Diet recommendations: People with ApoE-2 often crave foods like cookies, jelly beans, bread and soda—but their bodies cannot metabolize sugars and simple carbohydrates, and they often wind up overweight or obese, Dr. Steinbaum said. Lean proteins and moderate amounts of complex carbohydrates (such as whole grains and legumes) are the keys to good health for these people. Note: Even though a glass of red wine with dinner often is said to be heart-healthy, Dr. Steinbaum advises ApoE-2 carriers against drinking wine because it is loaded with sugars. (While she did not go so far as to say that all alcoholic beverages should be avoided, Dr. Steinbaum did say, “I do not recommend alcohol as part of a preventive strategy for heart health in ApoE-2 carriers.”)
    People who inherited the ApoE-4 gene from one or both parents tend to have…
    High LDL cholesterol, and…
    A family history of coronary artery disease.
    Recommended: If this is your profile, you’re likely to gravitate toward Buffalo wings, cheeseburgers, rich ice cream and other fatty foods—yet your body has a hard time breaking down and absorbing fats, and the receptors that are supposed to sweep up LDL cholesterol are suppressed. Dr. Steinbaum said, “For these people, I usually advise following an extremely low-fat diet, preferably a vegetarian or vegan diet, with less than 7% of calories coming from saturated fats.” Even plant-based fats such as olive oil and nuts, which are considered heart-healthy for other people, should be consumed only in moderate amounts by people with the ApoE-4 gene. You also should be aware that cholesterol-lowering statin drugs are less effective in ApoE-4 individuals than in other people, so even if you take a statin, a low-fat diet is still very important for you.
    People who inherited the ApoE-2 gene from one parent and the ApoE-4 gene from the other parent tend to have…
    High triglycerides, high blood sugar and high LDL cholesterol, and…
    A family history of both diabetes and coronary artery disease.
    Recommended: If you have a “2/4” pairing, you’re in the unfortunate minority of people who have trouble metabolizing not only sugars and simple carbohydrates but also fats. Your best choice is to be a vegetarian, Dr. Steinbaum said. Focus primarily on vegetables, legumes, whole grains and other complex carbohydrates…and avoid sweets, wine, white bread, white pasta and other simple carbs. You also need to keep your fat intake quite low, consuming only modest amounts of plant-based fats and little or no animal fat. Your healthiest food options are vegetables, legumes, whole grains and other complex carbohydrates.
    Knowing your ApoE gene can be very empowering. “When you think of heart disease as being genetic, you might assume, ‘Well, my dad got it, my aunts got it and my grandfather got it, so I’m going to get it, too.’ But if your dad’s whole family had eggs for breakfast, chicken for lunch and beef for dinner most days, the real problem lies in the fact that everyone was eating the wrong way for their gene type,” Dr. Steinbaum said. The same goes for a family legacy of diabetes when the family diet tended toward high-carb foods.
    So remember—whether your genetic legacy leaves you vulnerable to heart disease, diabetes or both, committing to the right type of diet for you might well be enough to break that chain.
    Source: Suzanne Steinbaum, DO, attending cardiologist and director of Women and Heart Disease, Lenox Hill Hospital, New York City.

In 1993, Martha Clare Morris and her team of researchers with the Chicago Health and Aging Project began studying thousands of people in three Chicago neighborhoods, examining their diets, exercise patterns, and overall health. The researchers then waited to see who stayed mentally clear and who did not.

Ten years later, the study identified two key culprits for heightened Alzheimer’s risk. First, saturated fat—the solid fat found in bacon, butter, and other animal-derived foods. Specifically, a person eating 25 grams of saturated fat per day was three times more likely to develop the disease, compared with people eating about half that much.

Culprit No. 2: trans fats, the hydrogenated oils often found in doughnuts, cupcakes, and other snack foods, had an even stronger link to Alzheimer’s disease than did saturated fat.

Research teams in New York and Finland found much the same thing. “Bad fats” that had already been known to increase the risk of heart problems appeared to be linked to Alzheimer’s disease too. They also played a role in a condition called mild cognitive impairment, which applies to a person whose day-to-day life is more or less normal but whose memory has slipped a notch or two. Researchers with Finland’s Cardiovascular Risk Factors, Aging and Dementia study found that a high intake of saturated fat more than doubled the risk of mild cognitive impairment. Among people with the APOE epsilon 4 allele, a fatty diet increased the risk five-fold.

WHAT IS FAT DOING TO YOUR BRAIN?

How does this happen? For starters, “bad fats” tend to increase your cholesterol levels. And that can spell blocked arteries, slowing the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain. Indeed, California researchers following a group of 9,844 people for three decades found that cholesterol levels measured in a person’s 40s predicted Alzheimer’s risk in their 70s.

High cholesterol levels don’t just block arteries. They also appear to encourage the formation of microscopic collections of protein and cholesterol in the brain—called beta-amyloid plaques—that are the hallmarks of Alzheimer’s. Looking like tiny meatballs through a microscope, these plaques are believed to damage brain cells.
    Last edited by Elainie; 3rd February 2014 at 18:04.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Abhaya (4th February 2014), Agape (3rd February 2014), Akasha (3rd February 2014), DeDukshyn (3rd February 2014), Hip Hipnotist (3rd February 2014)

24. Link to Post #54
    Thanks

Quote Posted by chocolate (here)
    .....I am considering trying a ketogenic regimen for a while, for the good of my body and mind, and because I like to play god every once in a while:
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-benefits.aspx
    In the following recently aired BBC documentary two twins who happen to be doctors agreed to go on a high sugar and high fat diet respectively for a month. The results were striking to say the least. By the end of the month long experiment the "high fat" twin's blood glucose levels had "risen from 5.1, not great but within the healthy range to 5.9....only 0.2 away from being pre-diabetic" whereas the "high sugar" twin's blood glucose levels were "good". Some other unexpected results were that both twins lost weight! The "high sugar" twin lost 1 kg, 0.5 kg from muscle and 0.5 kg from fat but the "high fat" twin lost 3.5 kg, 2 kg!!! (really not good) from muscle and 1.5 kg from fat. Essentially he was converting his muscle to glucose at a higher rate than he was converting his fat reserves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that Peter Attia is nutritionally irresponsible which obviously the BBC twins were during their experiment, I just thought the video bared some relevance to your post, especially with regard to Attia's before/after results. Reducing the waistline from 40 to 31 inches is one thing but if much of that reduction is due to muscle loss then is it good?

Here's the video. It's quite entertaining but if you want to skip to the results they start at around 36 minutes:

Ironically, I trust Mercola as far as I could throw the BBC lol.
    Last edited by Akasha; 3rd February 2014 at 20:13.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Abhaya (4th February 2014)

26. Link to Post #55
    Thanks

Akasha- did you know that Mercola eats mostly vegan these days? His thinking is heavily influenced by that of Dr. Ron Rosedale and his thinking on higher protein diets turning on Mtor pathways (hello cancer). Dr. Gundry is another now who has looked heavily into longevity markers and low protein diets (Mtor, low insulin levels, lower cholesterol levels amongst those who are healthy centenarians).
    I just thought I would throw that out there as most think Mercola is heavily meat/paleo based. His (mostly raw) vegan girlfriend has had a great influence over him.

I experimented with a keto diet, it didn't fare well as far as my workouts but I felt ok, in the long run it was hard to do long term. I did it for 4 months.I missed fruit and tubers! As an APOE4 a keto diet is definitely not recommended (I did it before I knew I was a 4 allele).

Ketogenic Diet as Treatment for Alzheimer's
    One of the promising new treatment paradigms for Alzheimer's is to have the patient switch to an extremely high fat, low carb diet, a so-called "ketogenic" diet. The name comes from the fact that the metabolism of dietary fats produces "ketone bodies" as a by-product, which are a very useful resource for metabolism in the brain. It is becoming increasingly clear that defective glucose metabolism in the brain (so-called "type-3 diabetes") is an early characteristic of Alzheimer's. Ketone bodies, whether they enter the astrocyte directly or are produced in the astrocyte itself by breaking down fats, can be delivered to adjacent neurons, as shown in the accompanying figure. These neurons can utilize the ketone bodies both as an energy source (replacing and therefore relieving glucose) and as a precursor to GABA, a critical neurotransmitter that is widespread in the brain.

Evidence that a ketogenic diet might help Alzheimer's was first found through research conducted on mice who had been bred to be prone to Alzheimer's disease [21]. Researchers found that the mice's cognition improved when they were treated with a high-fat low-carb diet, and also that the amount of amyloid-beta in their brain was reduced. The latter effect would be anticipated based on the premise that amyloid-beta promotes full utilization of glucose anaerobically, as I discussed previously. By having ketone bodies as an additional source of fuel, the dependence on glucose is reduced. But another effect that may be more important than this is the availability of high-quality fats to improve the condition of the myelin sheath.

This idea is supported by other experiments done on human Alzheimer's patients [11] [42]. A placebo-controlled 2004 study [42] of the effect of dietary fat enrichment on Alzheimer's is especially informative, because it uncovered a significant difference in effectiveness for the fat-enrichment for subjects who did not have the apoE-4 allele as compared with those who did. The experimental test group were given a supplemental drink containing emulsified medium chain triglycerides, found in high concentration in coconut oil. The subjects without the apoE-4 allele showed a significant improvement in score on a standard test for Alzheimer's, whereas those with the apoE-4 allele did not. This is a strong indicator that the benefit may have to do with an increase in uptake by the astrocyte of these high-quality fats, something that the subjects with the apoE-4 allele are unable to accomplish due to the defective IDL and LDL transport mechanisms.
    Last edited by Elainie; 3rd February 2014 at 20:47.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Akasha (4th February 2014), DeDukshyn (4th February 2014)

28. Link to Post #56
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,973 times in 20,621 posts

For those who are interested, Simon Parkes gave some revealing answers pertaining to meat-eating in post #2397 on page 120 of his thread here:
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...829#post792829
    ...in reply to some queries from Flash as follows:

6. It is not normal that we came from the stupid brutes to the intelligent beings that we are. Our human adaptation capacity is quite large; how do you explain this?
    Simon: No, it's not possible. Charles Darwin was sent on an expedition to prove an Illuminati false teaching - the guy who worked alongside Darwin and company - wrote the book - was pushed out because Darwin's Dad was a 32 degree Mason and it was Darwin's Dad who paid for the Origin of Species to be published. Reptilians want people to eat meat - the strong will kill the weak - the strong have the right to life - all the weak will perish - it's just mind control nonsense - but Hitler bought it totally!

7. Before the Reptilians came, were the human beings more evolved or less evolved than they are now and in which way?

Simon: Good question. They had been incredibly spiritually evolved, then they suffered a disaster and devolved. Then the scaly ones arrived with promises, but betrayed the trusting humans and de-engineered them, before building them into this modern race.

update:When Simon is referring to Reptilians, he means the Dracos, since they are the ones whose machinations we most need to be aware of. But there are certainly friendly Reptilians as well, which he is well aware of.
    Last edited by onawah; 4th February 2014 at 18:09.
    Each breath a gift...

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Akasha (4th February 2014), DeDukshyn (4th February 2014)

30. Link to Post #57
    Thanks

It was some years ago and of course to be taken with a grain of salt but one ET race (I forget the link, race) said we were amongst the only humanoids (on our planet) that continue to eat flesh foods. I tried looking for the link but cannot find it.
    Last edited by Elainie; 4th February 2014 at 20:04.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Abhaya (4th February 2014), onawah (5th February 2014)

32. Link to Post #58
    United Arab Emirates Avalon Member mahalall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,949 times in 591 posts

Quote akasha: I had a knee-jerk reaction to Malahall's statement because my own very extreme experiences contradicted it so profoundly.
    In '99 I was detained under section 3 of the UK mental health act for a period of 5 months. At the end of that 5 months I staggered out, heavily and compulsorily medicated. The same process happened at least once annually for the next 3 years until in 2003 I'd been sectioned a total of 7 times. It was on what turned out to be my final admission that I went vegetarian. The profound changes that took place as a result allowed me to walk out of the section 3 ward less than a month later medication free!
    Those unfortunate enough to have experienced the uk psychiatric system first-hand will be aware that being released from section 3 unmedicated is practically unheard of.

Enormously value you sharing your insight and experiences very few walk clearly after a section 3 order, thankyou for being here!
    So pleased that the cleansing nature of a plant based diet is contributing to your enlightening from darkness and may it continue.

the reference Mahallal made to meat preventing maddening requires some clarification.
    As meat is death, it is in nature a deeply earthing (and below) element-it is documented that certain meditation systems, old school psychiatrists, would give red meat to students who had uncontrolled-maddening energetic dispositions. One can recognise before the ugly heavy weights of clonazepam,chlordiazepoxide etc(putting other plant based psychotropics to oneside) the sight of a sleeping lion for 48hrs post meal would have it's place.

Always found the comfort, lightness and peaceful awareness of being vegan/vegatarian as being an important tool into penetrate the nature of what one is rather what you percieve yourself to be. Such sensitivity can present one with the actual empathatic presence to see the animals suffering/spirit when you absorb their matter. With the experience- karmic imprint arises- so it would then seem spiritual foolishness to consume meat.

Except for the fact,
    If the platform of practise from a plant based diet contributes to you exploring matter outside of self, one can soon discovers tools to experience highly elevated energetic states-so was just highlight that meat can be a simple and quick way of coming back to 3d earth-

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mahalall For This Post:

Akasha (4th February 2014), onawah (5th February 2014)

34. Link to Post #59
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mahalall (here)
    .....if the platform of practise from a plant based diet contributes to you exploring matter outside of self, one can soon discovers tools to experience highly elevated energetic states-so was just highlight that meat can be a simple and quick way of coming back to 3d earth-
    Remembering to stay heart-centered is what keeps me grounded. Eating meat would completely divorce me from that connection and so would unground me.

If experiencing "highly elevated energetic states" required slaughtering and consuming an animal in order to become grounded again, surely you have to question the justification for such experiences.

Maintaining the heart connection allows for discovery of such "elevated energetic states" whilst remaining "earthed", at least for me at any rate.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Elainie (4th February 2014), onawah (5th February 2014)

36. Link to Post #60
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,885 times in 912 posts

You don't have to eat meat to be grounded; there are plenty of vegan grounding foods. As well as a balanced diet, I prefer a balanced energetic system. I've gone out of balance by concentrating too much on my heart chakra...I was in a blissed out state all the time (very un-grounded). This may sound like the ideal place to be, but I found it to only be an illusion that didn't serve my ultimate reason for being incarnate on the Earth...
    Last edited by 13th Warrior; 5th February 2014 at 00:42.
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

37. The Following User Says Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

onawah (5th February 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3