+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home Made Toothpaste for SENSITIVE Teeth

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Lone Bean's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Home Made Toothpaste for SENSITIVE Teeth

I hope I've placed this thread in the right category, if not, moderators please move it to where it more appropriately fits and thank-you.

I'm very interested in making my own toothpaste. I've downloaded some recipes using coconut oil, baking soda, calcium carbonate, xylitol, and an aromatic oil such as spearmint or peppermint. I've got almost all these ingredients and the rest will arrive tomorrow. However, I have very sensitive teeth and have been using a sensitive toothpaste for years that works in keeping most of the sensitivity at bay. I'm trying to get away from fluoride and have read that even "natural toothpastes" that I can buy on-line still have unnatural ingredients.

I looked at the tube of toothpaste I was using and the ingredient used for sensitivity was potassium nitrate 5%. It seems it's kind of hard to find, but I can easily find potassium citrate instead. I was wondering if anyone here on Avalon makes their own toothpaste for sensitive teeth, and could give me their recipe. Also, I was wondering about adding potassium citrate to the mix and if anyone here has done that and did it help with sensitivity?

Thanks very much in advance! LB

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lone Bean For This Post:

Aurelius (8th February 2014), budicca (6th February 2014), DeDukshyn (7th February 2014), gnostic9 (7th February 2014), Octavusprime (7th February 2014), sigma6 (7th February 2014), Star Tsar (6th February 2014), sunflower (6th February 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Moderator Marianne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,392 times in 2,258 posts

Default Re: Home Made Toothpaste for SENSITIVE Teeth

Hi LB,

Thanks for the thread about sensitive teeth toothpaste.
    I have made only regular toothpaste and tooth powder ... so I don't have a recipe for you.

Giving this a bump for others to see.

One thing to realize, I would advise to use an oil other than coconut oil. Because it solidifies at room temperature (typically 76F), it can clog the drain.

I have made it using other oils, like safflower, olive, or sunflower. A cold pressed oil is best.

Coconut oil is wonderful for other uses -- nice to use in cooking.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Marianne For This Post:

DeDukshyn (7th February 2014), gnostic9 (7th February 2014), Limor Wolf (6th February 2014), Lone Bean (6th February 2014), Octavusprime (7th February 2014), seko (7th February 2014), sigma6 (7th February 2014), Star Tsar (6th February 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    the foothills of le Massif Central, France
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,829 times in 1,059 posts

I take just baking soda (Arm&Hammer). I wet my tooth brush (a rather soft one) and put it in a low bowl with baking soda (just a little will do fine). Don't brush your teeth too often, as that will irritate your gums).
    I floss my teeth after every meal and rinse my mouth with purified water.

Have you ever tried oilpulling? Helps very well against sensitive gums and teeth !
    http://www.yogahealer.com/oil-pull-a...depends-on-it/

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Lone Bean's Avatar
    Thanks

Heyokah - I'm learning some wonderful things about organic coconut oil. My main ingredient will be coconut oil. I'll try the "oil-pulling" but I like to just call it "oil-swishing" for 20 minutes/day. Can't hurt and it sure would be great if my gums grew back over where the dentin is exposed. You can't tell anything is wrong with my teeth to look at them, they're nice, strong and almost straight. I like my teeth but for some reason the dentin is slightly exposed and it's electrifying when it gets hit with a toothbrush, therefore the sensitive toothpaste. I have to warn dental hygienists about it lest I flip the tray of instruments off should it be accidentally scraped. I even told the dentist that I would have to stop having my teeth cleaned if they kept hitting the dentin. I just can't stand the feeling.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lone Bean For This Post:

DeDukshyn (7th February 2014), gnostic9 (7th February 2014), heyokah (7th February 2014), Octavusprime (7th February 2014), sigma6 (7th February 2014)

8. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,438 times in 8,540 posts

Hey bean,

Potassium nitrate would definitely be a lot better, first, your saliva can turn nitrates into nitric oxide - an extremely important signalling molecule and powerful anti-oxidant that can benefit almost any aspect of health. It is also deadly to bacteria so it would be perfect in a toothpaste. It is dirt cheap to buy in bulk, but I'm not sure where you might get small quantities from -- keep looking. I believe it would be the nitrate that would provide a slight pain relief.

Some other ingredients to look into is lactoferrin - a protein fraction from milk -- also inhibits bacterial growth, can heal leasions, and has been studied orally as a breath "fixer" - but its pricey.

Another is Neem or Azadirachta indica, used in India for thousands of years for oral health -- keeps your mouth and teeth in good shape. Extracts should be fairly readily available - maybe at you health food store.

Another thing to keep in mind is that teeth resorb minerals from saliva -- in your mouth. A few minerals besides the calcium may be good to add in, just ensure it is not too abrasive. I use a tiny amount from a capsule of a high end brand of full spectrum minerals bone health supplement in mine.

Let us know your progress!
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 7th February 2014 at 00:06.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

gnostic9 (7th February 2014), Lone Bean (10th July 2014), Octavusprime (7th February 2014), seko (7th February 2014), sigma6 (7th February 2014)

10. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

Just don't take your toothpaste to Sochi, lol

p.s. I am interested in your project because I am a fluoride hater!!

11. Link to Post #7
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 times in 699 posts

Hello Everyone:
    I am not trying to change the subject because keeping your teeth, inside of mouth and tongue clean ( brushing the tongue keeps nasty bad breath away) are extremely important! However I have seen all types of concoctions throughout my life used to brush teeth.

My mother used baking soda with water most of her life with almost NO cavities. ( The cavities came from when she was not able to brush her teeth for extended periods of time due to sickness. )

I have seen people rinse there mouth with water after each meal and NEVER have a cavity or anything else wrong with their teeth.

Myself I used crest until 2 years ago. I used it for over 50 years! I was thinking about how much I liked the taste of crest and what it was doing for my teeth. With regular dentist checkups I always had a cavity or 2. There should have been no reason for having any cavities since I am a very faithful and daily teeth brusher.

Now the interesting part:
    Since that time 2 years ago I have only brushed my teeth and tongue with water everyday without fail just as I would have used my favorite taste crest.
    I have not had any cavities or for that matter any plague or anything else wrong with my teeth. They feel clean and I enjoy my food alot more since I can taste it better.
    I don't use baking soda to brush but I do use it to make distilled ph water for drinking. 1 tablespoon in an imperial gallon of water ( I love my water! )
    That being said this is my recipe for a great toothpaste that makes me smile everyday!
    chancy

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chancy For This Post:

DeDukshyn (7th February 2014), gnostic9 (7th February 2014), heyokah (7th February 2014), Octavusprime (7th February 2014), seko (7th February 2014), sigma6 (7th February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (7th February 2014)

13. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by chancy (here)
    Hello Everyone:
    I am not trying to change the subject because keeping your teeth, inside of mouth and tongue clean ( brushing the tongue keeps nasty bad breath away) are extremely important! However I have seen all types of concoctions throughout my life used to brush teeth.

My mother used baking soda with water most of her life with almost NO cavities. ( The cavities came from when she was not able to brush her teeth for extended periods of time due to sickness. )

I have seen people rinse there mouth with water after each meal and NEVER have a cavity or anything else wrong with their teeth.

Myself I used crest until 2 years ago. I used it for over 50 years! I was thinking about how much I liked the taste of crest and what it was doing for my teeth. With regular dentist checkups I always had a cavity or 2. There should have been no reason for having any cavities since I am a very faithful and daily teeth brusher.

Now the interesting part:
    Since that time 2 years ago I have only brushed my teeth and tongue with water everyday without fail just as I would have used my favorite taste crest.
    I have not had any cavities or for that matter any plague or anything else wrong with my teeth. They feel clean and I enjoy my food alot more since I can taste it better.
    I don't use baking soda to brush but I do use it to make distilled ph water for drinking. 1 tablespoon in an imperial gallon of water ( I love my water! )
    That being said this is my recipe for a great toothpaste that makes me smile everyday!
    chancy
    Regular brushing = required for decent mouth health. Paste = optional, provides a lubricant, a small amount of abrasion, and a bit of foaming for trapping the crud and expelling. But that's about it. I fully agree, the paste isn't really all that important, however Bean was hoping for something natural to help with tooth sensitivity.

A teeny amount of cocaine would work wonders for tooth pain, but of course there's plenty'o'potential issues that go along with that.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Tesla_WTC_Solution (here)
    Just don't take your toothpaste to Sochi, lol

p.s. I am interested in your project because I am a fluoride hater!!
    My sister just started with this: http://www.earthpaste.com/ -- she's completely in love with it. I've been looking for some locally to try, but so far out of luck. It's more than regular toothpaste, but how often does one buy toothpaste?

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

gnostic9 (7th February 2014), Lone Bean (7th February 2014), Octavusprime (7th February 2014), seko (7th February 2014), sigma6 (7th February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (7th February 2014)

15. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Dr. Weston Price showed conclusively that brushing is not necessary when eating real foods, foods from Mother Nature that don't come wrapped, boxed, or bagged. He also demonstrated how indigenous cultures absolutely ruined their dental health upon consuming Western foods like refined flour and sugars. Their facial bones, jaws, and teeth malformed after one or two generations! He wrote the bible on health and nutrition. The Weston Price Foundation is a good place to look for solutions.

Earthpaste is good stuff! But as some mentioned plain water and gentle brushing and flossing is all that is necessary. My own conventional dentist admitted it, but stalled out for an explanation when I quizzed her about the AMA pushing all the dangerous methods and products.

Remember, no fluoride and no glycerin in whatever you use. Glycerin prevents the teeth from naturally re-mineralizing and of course fluoride is toxic. And never use mouthwash for a million reasons, the main one being that it kills beneficial bacteria in the mouth that prevent the bad bugs from eating your teeth.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

DeDukshyn (8th February 2014), gnostic9 (7th February 2014), Octavusprime (7th February 2014), sigma6 (7th February 2014)

17. Link to Post #10
    Tip of the neuron's tendril watching the sparks fly...
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,215 times in 421 posts

You can buy small amounts of Potassium Nitrate here> http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/

I purchase from them frequently for my aquascaping. They ship quicker than Amazon! Potassium Nitrate is also used as a food preserver (smoked/canned meat) and as a major ingredient in gun powder. I've never heard of it being used as toothpaste. As stated above baking soda is commonly used as a substitute for toothpaste and IMO would be much gentler on the gums.
    (Insert signature here)

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Octavusprime For This Post:

DeDukshyn (8th February 2014), gnostic9 (7th February 2014), Lone Bean (10th July 2014), sigma6 (7th February 2014)

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,729 times in 2,903 posts

Sounds like your getting more bang for your buck when you buy potassium nitrate...

(hee hee)
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

DeDukshyn (8th February 2014), gnostic9 (7th February 2014), Octavusprime (8th February 2014)

21. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Octavusprime (here)
    You can buy small amounts of Potassium Nitrate here> http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/

I purchase from them frequently for my aquascaping. They ship quicker than Amazon! Potassium Nitrate is also used as a food preserver (smoked/canned meat) and as a major ingredient in gun powder. I've never heard of it being used as toothpaste. As stated above baking soda is commonly used as a substitute for toothpaste and IMO would be much gentler on the gums.
    It was just a single ingredient in a toothpaste, to help with sensitivity -- it is not a main ingredient. I Imagine pure potassium nitrate as a toothpaste would preserve your mouth fairly well though

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Octavusprime (8th February 2014)

23. Link to Post #13
    Tip of the neuron's tendril watching the sparks fly...
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,215 times in 421 posts

I've heard people raise concern over it's use in meat preservation but with most things: Everything in moderation. Even something like arsenic is needed in small quantities by the body. I know that many people in Southern California drink high levels of Potassium Nitrate everyday. All the run off from large Agricultural farmers has contaminated the ground water with Nitrates.

Found this explanation of how potassium Nitrate works on teeth here: http://www.sharecare.com/health/heal...oothpaste-work

Quote Potassium nitrate decreases tooth sensitivity by entering into the dental tubules and making its way to the nerves of the dental pulp. These potassium ions find their way tot he pulp where they block the transmission of pain to the brain. While hot and cold would still cause the nerves to send a pain signal to the brain, the potassium ion interrupts the pain signal so that you don't feel anything.

An added benefit of potassium nitrate is that it can build up in the dentin tubules. By continuing to brush with sensitivity toothpaste, you can provide your dentin tubules with a large supply of potassium nitrate which will give you lasting relief from sensitivity.

Strontium chloride works by blocking the dentin tubules. The dentin tubules are very tiny holes that go to the dental pulp. Strontium chloride simply covers up these holes. Normally, the tubules are covered up by cementum on the tooth root or enamel on the tooth crown. Strontium chloride simply returns the tubules to their natural "covered up" state.

If the dentin tubules are open, then it is easy for sensations to be transferred to the nerves in the dental pulp. By closing the tubules with strontium chloride, you can eliminate tooth sensitivity by stopping the nerves of the dental pulp from receiving any painful stimulation.
    I would say that if you dilute the Potassium Nitrate to 5% in water then you can just use it as a rinse prior to brushing. I make a solution of it with just tap water so that I can accurately dose my fish tank and keep those aquatic plants lush. Should be able to mix it and use in the same manner. Just take care not to make it too strong, as an oxidizing agent it could burn a little at high concentrations.
    Last edited by Octavusprime; 8th February 2014 at 04:25.
    (Insert signature here)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Octavusprime For This Post:

DeDukshyn (8th February 2014), Lone Bean (10th July 2014)

25. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Octavusprime (here)
    I've heard people raise concern over it's use in meat preservation but with most things: Everything in moderation. Even something like arsenic is needed in small quantities by the body. I know that many people in Southern California drink high levels of Potassium Nitrate everyday. All the run off from large Agricultural farmers has contaminated the ground water with Nitrates.

Found this explanation of how potassium Nitrate works on teeth here: http://www.sharecare.com/health/heal...oothpaste-work

Quote Potassium nitrate decreases tooth sensitivity by entering into the dental tubules and making its way to the nerves of the dental pulp. These potassium ions find their way tot he pulp where they block the transmission of pain to the brain. While hot and cold would still cause the nerves to send a pain signal to the brain, the potassium ion interrupts the pain signal so that you don't feel anything.

An added benefit of potassium nitrate is that it can build up in the dentin tubules. By continuing to brush with sensitivity toothpaste, you can provide your dentin tubules with a large supply of potassium nitrate which will give you lasting relief from sensitivity.

Strontium chloride works by blocking the dentin tubules. The dentin tubules are very tiny holes that go to the dental pulp. Strontium chloride simply covers up these holes. Normally, the tubules are covered up by cementum on the tooth root or enamel on the tooth crown. Strontium chloride simply returns the tubules to their natural "covered up" state.

If the dentin tubules are open, then it is easy for sensations to be transferred to the nerves in the dental pulp. By closing the tubules with strontium chloride, you can eliminate tooth sensitivity by stopping the nerves of the dental pulp from receiving any painful stimulation.
    I would say that if you dilute the Potassium Nitrate to 5% in water then you can just use it as a rinse prior to brushing. I make a solution of it with just tap water so that I can accurately dose my fish tank and keep those aquatic plants lush. Should be able to mix it and use in the same manner. Just take care not to make it too strong, as an oxidizing agent it could burn a little at high concentrations.

On concerns as a meat preservative ...

The concerns as meat preservative are mostly due to people not understanding what the real concern is. Nitrates in the presence of proteins and heat and over time can be reduced to nitrites, and those over heat and time and be turned into nitrosamines <-- these are the baddies. Slow smoked meat tend to both have nitrates or nitrites added as preservative (to help quell botulism during smoking), and are in a heat zone over a long period of time, therefore increasing the chances of nitrosamine formation. A little ascorbic acid can help stop the nitrosamine formation though. As you said, everything in moderation - a diet extremely rich in processed smoked meats likely is not good for you.

So in your body, nitrates are actually pretty useful as you body will eventually convert them to nitric oxide. It is said that the "Mediterranean diet" likely gets it health benefits from the vast amounts of nitrate rich cruciferous vegetable intake.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Octavusprime (9th February 2014)

27. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

brushing with magnesium oil 4-5 drops relieves my sensitvity.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penn For This Post:

DeDukshyn (10th February 2014), Octavusprime (9th February 2014)

29. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Hello,
    I make home made toothpaste as follows: Coconut oil, diatamaceous earth, clove oil for sensitivity and taste, and stevia liquid to sweeten. Seems to work well.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to blknwhite For This Post:

DeDukshyn (3rd November 2014)

31. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by blknwhite (here)
    Hello,
    I make home made toothpaste as follows: Coconut oil, diatamaceous earth, clove oil for sensitivity and taste, and stevia liquid to sweeten. Seems to work well.
    Clove oil eh? ... That would definitely provide a bit of "numbing" effect. Nice.

+ Reply to Thread