+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Animal Sex: How Dragonflies Do It

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Skywizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,727 times in 1,319 posts

Default Animal Sex: How Dragonflies Do It

Just Had To Do IT (post that is...

Dragonfly sex is a very conspicuous event, easily recognized by the heart-shaped "wheel" formation of mating pairs.

Dragonfly and damselfly sex is a very conspicuous event, easily recognized by the heart-shaped "wheel" formation of mating pairs. But what else is involved in the mating behavior of these insects?

Dragonflies and damselflies are closely related insects, which both belong to the insect order Odonata. The two insects display a number of subtle differences, most noticeably their size and rest orientation. That is, damselflies are small, slender and hold their wings over their backs while perching; dragonflies are larger than damselflies and keep their wings outstretched while at rest.

The insects share similarities in some of their reproductive behaviors, but the mating systems of damselflies are more varied, explained Rhainer Guillermo-Ferreira, an entomologists at São Paulo State University in Brazil.

Source: http://www.livescience.com/43206-ani...agonflies.html

peace...
    skywizard
    ~~ One foot in the Ancient World and the other in the Now ~~

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Skywizard For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th February 2014), DeDukshyn (8th February 2014), dianna (8th February 2014), Dorjezigzag (8th February 2014), genevieve (8th February 2014), gnostic9 (8th February 2014), Isserley (8th February 2014), Lancelot (8th February 2014), mosquito (23rd February 2014), shadowstalker (8th February 2014), Snoweagle (8th February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (8th February 2014), UpToLight (8th February 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member sirdipswitch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,166 times in 1,683 posts

Default Re: Animal Sex: How Dragonflies Do It

Dragonfly sex?? chuckle chuckle. Evidently ya got too much time on yer hands. ccc.
    Love, Peace, Humor
    sirdipswitch

" A little knowledge, is a dangerous thing... so is a lot."
    - Albert Einstein -

"Please, Do NOT, believe a word that I say, for this is my journey not yours. Go do your own research. Listen to no-one. Find YOUR own Truth. As "I" did." "It is all just a Game, play it as you will."
    -sirdipswitch-

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sirdipswitch For This Post:

CD7 (9th February 2014), gnostic9 (8th February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (8th February 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

Default Re: Animal Sex: How Dragonflies Do It

Those were a big LOL for us Kentucky kids... my cousin Ian and me used to go in the creek, looking for weird animals, etc. fishing,
    and we realized that dragonflies are very intelligent. unfortunately we were immature and there were tiny casualties sometimes,
    before we realized they aren't just flies -- their heads and eyes are very large and complicated, and their brain work a lot faster than human brains,
    meaning when they watch tv etc. it doesn't fool them into thinking there is a moving picture.

thanks for sharing, they are very cute little things -- so many colors and sizes, and most of them are so social, it's weird!

+ Reply to Thread