+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Must watch moving and reflective account of state execution by head of corrections

1. Link to Post #1
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,622 times in 602 posts

Default Must watch moving and reflective account of state execution by head of corrections

This is one of the best demonstrations of the hypocritical insanity that is the "death penalty" that I've ever seen.

Very inspiring, especially since the guy - having given the order for the execution - felt it was his duty to be present even though he apparently didn't have to be. That was what brought it home to him what it was really all about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26136111

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to indigopete For This Post:

Atlas (14th February 2014), cursichella1 (14th February 2014), damian (14th February 2014), Kristin (14th February 2014), Lifebringer (13th February 2014), LivioRazlo (13th February 2014), Tesseract (13th February 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member LivioRazlo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,612 times in 320 posts

Default Re: Must watch moving and reflective account of state execution by head of corrections

You can really see the sorrow and regret the warden of this institution had when he gave the order to, in his own words "murder" this individual. I'm glad that he is campaigning against capital punishment in the United States as keeping an individual on Death Row costs the taxpayers huge sums of money. Life without the possibility of parole should be the harshest punishment one could receive.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LivioRazlo For This Post:

cursichella1 (14th February 2014), Tesseract (13th February 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Default Re: Must watch moving and reflective account of state execution by head of corrections

Quote Posted by LivioRazlo (here)
    Life [...] should be the harshest punishment one could receive.
    What's your style ?

- post edited -

(Source: wikipedia.org/List_of_methods_of_capital_punishment)
    Last edited by Atlas; 28th October 2014 at 22:19.

6. Link to Post #4
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by indigopete (here)
    ...the hypocritical insanity that is the "death penalty"...
    lol

According to St. Augustine (from The City of God, Book 1, Chapter 21):

Quote The same divine authority that forbids the killing of a human being establishes certain exceptions, as when God authorizes killing by a general law or when He gives an explicit commission to an individual for a limited time.
    Quote The agent who executes the killing does not commit homicide; he is an instrument as is the sword with which he cuts.
    Quote Therefore, it is in no way contrary to the commandment, 'Thou shalt not kill' to wage war at God's bidding, or for the representatives of public authority to put criminals to death, according to the law, that is, the will of the most just reason.
    Saint Augustine's feast day is celebrated on 15 June.

7. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member LivioRazlo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,612 times in 320 posts

All of those methods are inhumane buares.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LivioRazlo For This Post:

Atlas (14th February 2014)

9. Link to Post #6
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

I agree LivioRazlo.

So, which method is the best ? We need at least one...

Immurement maybe ?

The confinement of a person by walling off any exits; since they were usually kept alive through an opening, this was more a form of imprisonment for life than of capital punishment (example: the countess Elisabeth Báthory, who lived for four more years after having been immured). (wikipedia)

---

Portugal was the first country in the world to abolish life imprisonment by the prison reforms of Sampaio e Melo in 1884 ... the Penal Code states that no person may be sentenced to a prison term longer than 25 years, whichever crimes he or she has been found guilty of committing. (wikipedia)
    Last edited by Atlas; 14th February 2014 at 21:09.

10. Link to Post #7
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,004 times in 2,540 posts

This subject is not a laughing matter, and should be handled with compassion. Is there a point that you are trying to make through use of humor buares, or are you trying to elicit an emotional response from the membership? Please clarify what your purpose is on this thread so that there is no misunderstanding. Currently It appears to be a derailment, I hope to be wrong.

From the Heart,
    Kristin

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kristin For This Post:

Atlas (14th February 2014), mosquito (15th February 2014)

12. Link to Post #8
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Thank you Kristin,

My point is: I see no difference between capital punishment and life imprisonment. It is the exact same thing. Life imprisonment has been abolished in some countries. My opinion is that life imprisonment is not and will never be a solution.

Sorry for derailing the thread, as you said, this subject is not a laughing matter.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Kristin (14th February 2014)

14. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,004 times in 2,540 posts

Ahhh, now that is all together different. That's also an interesting point that you were attempting to make. May I suggest another thread? Thank you for the clarification, I really do appreciate it.

I recall in the movie the "Gods must be Crazy" the little bushman in jail. In the movie it explains that he would not know that he would be released in the future, ever, as he lives only in the now. That being in jail would simply kill him as he would stop eating etc. Not in protest, but he simply would loose the will to live under such circumstances.

I do hope that you do start your own thread on this type of punishment, it's implications, and hopefully solutions.

From the Heart,
    Kristin

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kristin For This Post:

Atlas (14th February 2014), LivioRazlo (14th February 2014)

+ Reply to Thread