+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Forensic Analysis tools - Army: we know who you are, and what you are going to do

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Lightbulb Forensic Analysis tools - Army: we know who you are, and what you are going to do

ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND, Md.

The US ARMY knows that everything leaves a "trace", no matter where it is, what it is, computer, or animal, plant, bacteria, virus or human. In other words, nothing can really hide anymore.

Currently they are soliciting industry for a new type of analyzer - one that looks at the residual trace left by someone.

Inside that trace, the analysis if focused on the biological, content, a pico-gram (thats way smaller than nanograms) sample left by a body vapor or an exhale, spit, fingerprint.. will show through detection, and identification, and warn security and military personnel of the presence of potentially illicit or dangerous signatures present in the sample.

An example of one of the new forensic systems in operation: If a person touches something with bare skin or comes in contact with that "something", that something links back to the subject in question.

Analyzing for instance the substances present in the oil of a latent fingerprint will show what that person ingested, came in contact with (such as explosives, chemicals, toxins), has "stressors" or fear hormones/steroids, is using drugs/alcohol/medications..

There is no need to have a full fingerprint - merely brushing past an object leaves that "trace" and that is enough to be able to analyze who it came from "the bio-chemical signature trace", what they have ingested, what they have come in contact with (contraband) or restricted items..

Very coarse versions of these things have been used in airports and security areas, the earlier proof of concept systems, which blew a puff of air over a person and then trace analyzed the "air". So the technology has been being used to check people and cargo for "fugative emission" (or trace emission from substances evaporating from the object).

These newer systems optically are able to detect with even higher precision, without needing any contact, without blowing air over the target that they want to analyze.

If there is a biological weapon present (or if the person is "sick" lets say), the analysis technique will provide a rapid manner of seeing if the subjects are a hazard or potential threat.

What has not been discussed, is how much range, or distance from the scanning system is possible. Earlier in the year we have heard of laser systems able to scan at a distance for likely "targets", and those systems have not been discussed further as to their installation, validity, accuracy or reliability..

Army Edgewood Chemical Biological Center (ECBC) is the organization dealing with this current development - W911SR14R0003 is the pre-solicitation data abstract.

Did you have a drink the night before coming into work? Did you smoke, did you shake hands with Ayman al-Zawahiri ? Was there C4 in the room that you touched the doorknob for? Did somebody hand you a book/newspaper/business card which contained traces of explosives, or nerve agents? Did you touch a 20$ bill (used for snorting cocaine for instance)..

This system will flag you as a potential terrorist/suspicious person to be put on a watch list or further interrogated.

Is it fool proof? That there are so many toxic substances in the environment that one can accidentally come in contact with, this type of system easily can become a disaster tagging way too many innocents.

You see this finger? You will never know where it has been ! Your system will never work.

Technical article published in Military and Aerospace News - Army tells industry to be ready
    Last edited by Bob; 19th February 2014 at 19:04.

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

Default Re: Forensic Analysis tools - Army: we know who you are, and what you are going to do

Omg. Cmon already.this is very OCD IMO WTF LOL

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

Bob (19th February 2014), Chanlo23 (20th February 2014), Flash (19th February 2014), GreenGuy (20th February 2014), naste.de.lumina (20th February 2014)

4. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: Forensic Analysis tools - Army: we know who you are, and what you are going to do

And we thought DARPA was "out there"

Let's add this picture too (below) of a biped equipped with sensors (not just optics for seeing at night). See the sensory chips in the below posts that describe the chemical sensors. To outfit either a soldier (human) or a synthetic with these chips that have been around is being done by contractors.

Maybe that is a simpler "image" concept to understand MILITARY requirements for sensory monitoring is happening. If you poo poo it, that doesn't make it go away.
    Last edited by Bob; 24th October 2015 at 22:43.

5. Link to Post #4
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Bobd (here)

"fully equipped sensory soldier"
    thats just a pair of nightvision, older style, like pilots use... definately not a "sensory soldier" just old school, gen 2 night vision with a crappy AK-47...

"nothing to see here".
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

airaspect (19th February 2014), Bob (20th February 2014), Chanlo23 (20th February 2014), Flash (19th February 2014), fourty-two (20th February 2014), naste.de.lumina (20th February 2014), Nasu (19th February 2014)

7. Link to Post #5
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Military Aerospace News has a follow-up article to the new picogram "trace" analysis system.

"Intelligence experts seek to identify people involved with chemical and biological weapons"

is how the article starts.

"Officials of the Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Agency (IARPA) in Washington have released a solicitation (IARPA-BAA-13-04) for the first phase of the Bio-Intelligence Chips (BIC) test & measurement program to help identify people who have been involved with chemical or biological weapons."

Devices similar to the above have been placed around key cities and strategic locations. They are called bio-chem "sniffers" to detect in the air if a dangerous substance in the "alert list" is present.

ref: http://www.electronicsnews.com.au/ne...ffer-dog-noses - Santa Barbara firm makes sniffer chips
    ref: http://www.chemistryviews.org/detail...on_a_Chip.html - Article from 2010, sniffer chips detect substances

"The initial part of the program focuses on identifying signatures that could be identified as sets of biomarkers that would point to a person's involvement in preparing or handing chemical or biological weapons.

"These biomarkers should be identifiable in a human fluid sample as small as 100 microliters -- or just barely a trace. IARPA is the research arm of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence."

DNI - is run by Mr. James Clapper, and is the key organization behind even HSA.

You see this finger...
    Last edited by Bob; 19th February 2014 at 19:30.

8. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)

thats just a pair of nightvision, older style, like pilots use... definately not a "sensory soldier" just old school, gen 2 night vision with a crappy AK-47...

"nothing to see here".
    ya, they see all don't they.. "excellency" by DARPA was the point of the picture. It was a tongue in cheek poke, in "quotes" ;p

Maybe this is simpler mindset to express the concept - of SEE ALL, KNOW ALL

yup nothing at all to see there
    Last edited by Bob; 20th February 2014 at 18:44.

9. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,706 times in 8,941 posts

So the picture is not back from the future but back to the past lol. Human ET looking are much slender now lol.

I went into one of those booth puffing air and then sniffing it and analysing it when I was at Dallas airport 6 years ago. They flagged me to go in the booth while my daughter would not stop calling me because I was not back home yet.

I was speaking in French on the phone, they must had identified me as a foreigner (otherwise I have a North American look mostly when travelling).

I got int he booth, doors closed, an unextected puff of air lifted everything and surprised me, then I waited, waited, waited, with a gard right in front of me on the other side of the glass door. I was starting to panic, I think the guy saw it and I was probably filmed to see the reactions. Finally the light went green and I could go. Truly bad experience. Then my daughter called me back again, until i got into the airplane.

Thinking of it, this means they already have my genetic profile, hum..... i do not like that.

"nothing to see here".
    Last edited by Flash; 19th February 2014 at 19:30.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bob (19th February 2014), Chanlo23 (20th February 2014), mosquito (20th February 2014), naste.de.lumina (20th February 2014), Nasu (19th February 2014)

11. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

They'd best be careful or they'll prove that homeopathy works, and it does. Homeopathy is simply the residual energetic pattern left in the water after extreme dilution.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Bob (19th February 2014), Chanlo23 (20th February 2014), Flash (19th February 2014), Gardener (19th February 2014), mosquito (20th February 2014), naste.de.lumina (20th February 2014), Nasu (19th February 2014), penn (20th February 2014), Selene (19th February 2014), Shikasta (19th February 2014)

13. Link to Post #9
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    So the picture is not back from the future but back to the past lol. Human ET looking are much slender now lol.

I went into one of those booth puffing air and then sniffing it and analysing it when I was at Dallas airport 6 years ago. They flagged me to go in the booth while my daughter would not stop calling me because I was not back home yet.

I was speaking in French on the phone, they must had identified me as a foreigner (otherwise I have a North American look mostly when travelling).

I got int he booth, doors closed, an unextected puff of air lifted everything and surprised me, then I waited, waited, waited, with a gard right in front of me on the other side of the glass door. I was starting to panic, I think the guy saw it and I was probably filmed to see the reactions. Finally the light went green and I could go. Truly bad experience. Then my daughter called me back again, until i got into the airplane.

Thinking of it, this means they already have my genetic profile, hum..... i do not like that.

"nothing to see here".
    Over in Hawaii once landing on Oahu, not only got the puff of air test on ENTERING, coming from the mainland, got wiped down with a white pad, all the carry on wiped down.. "sorry for the hassle.."

Like somebody is going to create contraband on the jet going over..

The sensor systems are real, that is the point, and the amount of REMOTE SENSING happening, being developed (SEE ALL - KNOW ALL) is the program out there. AND industry is going to comply cause of the contracts that they will get.

If we don't pay attention, what will happen will happen, that's the point guys and gals.

14. Link to Post #10
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

And as far as the uninformed "old night vision" equipped soldier comments.. the research done for the helmet system is this for moving towards these OPTICS:

The Pentagon now wants troops to see dangers lurking behind them in real time, and be able to tell if an object a kilometer away is a walking stick or an AK-47.

In a solicitation released today, Darpa, the Pentagon’s far-out research branch, unveiled the Soldier Centric Imaging via Computational Cameras effort, or SCENICC. Imagine a suite of cameras that digitally capture a kilometer-wide, 360-degree sphere, representing the image in 3-D (!) onto a wearable eyepiece.

You’d be able to literally see all around you, including behind yourself, and zooming in at will, creating a “stereoscopic/binocular system, simultaneously providing 10x zoom to both eyes.” And you would do this all hands-free, apparently by barking out or pre-programming a command (the solicitation leaves it up to a designer’s imagination) to adjust focus.

Then comes the Terminator-vision. Darpa wants the eyepiece to include “high-resolution computer-enhanced imagery as well as task-specific non-image data products such as mission data overlays, threat warnings/alerts, targeting assistance, etc.” Target identified: Sarah Connor… The “Full Sphere Awareness” tool will provide soldiers with “muzzle flash detection,” “projectile tracking” and “object recognition/labeling,” basically pointing key information out to them.

And an “integrated weapon sighting” function locks your gun on your target when acquired. That’s far beyond an app mounted on your rifle that keeps track of where your friendlies and enemies are.

The imaging wouldn’t just be limited to what any individual soldier sees. SCENICC envisions a “networked optical sensing capability” that fuses images taken from nodes worn by “collections of soldiers and/or unmanned vehicles.” The Warrior-Alpha drone overhead? Its full-motion video and still images would be sent into your eyepiece.

So, adding in the CHEMICAL CHIP AWARENESS to the OPTICAL TARGETING SYSTEM is on the plate..

ref: http://patrickmillard.com/blog/?cat=28&paged=3

"It isn't any old night vision equipped soldier"

Sensory integration, drone coordination, chemical analysis, even synchronized "where did the threat originate" from (targeting methods) in other words ARE being created for troop use.
    Last edited by Bob; 19th February 2014 at 20:22.

15. Link to Post #11
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

As far as the OLD systems used as far back as 1995, in the field, this is a picture of the M21 Remote Sensing Chemical Agent Alarm (RSCAAL). As shown with the chips developed in Post #5 above, miniaturization has been the goal. The OP mentioned the amount of detail being requested since there has been over 20 years of proven research in the field of remote sensing.

"In the area of chemical detection, the next developments are standoff detection systems that use laser systems and can provide advance warning from 30 to 50 km distant, and point detectors that will be placed on attended air vehicles, with warning sent back by radio or forward-emplaced point detectors with radio links to a headquarters or a central warning network. (that is from 1995)

"Combined nuclear, chemical, and biological detectors, which could serve as joint detection and warning devices, are also being developed and fielded."

ref: http://www.sc-ems.com/ems/NuclearBio...chapter_16.htm

And I mentioned the remote LASER sensor systems (spectroscopic monitors) that can read remotely at a distance being used to "SCAN FOR TERRORISTS" -

ref: http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/photos_104572.htm -

"As the person continues along the corridor, the laser system analyses the traces of chemicals on their clothing to identify the exact nature of the threat. If traces of explosives are found and the threat is confirmed, the security services are automatically alerted. They then take over to neutralise the terrorist threat."

These systems are "proven" and IN-USE. Adding such to modernize from the 1995 "military field tech" with new hardware from the 21's century is being done. It is a piece of pie.

16. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Nothing scary or Orwellian about this folks, nothing to see here lol
    "As long as you still view the stars as something above you, you still lack a viewpoint of knowledge" -Fredrich Nietzche

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koyaanisqatsi For This Post:

Bob (19th February 2014), Chanlo23 (20th February 2014)

18. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

"nothing to see here".
    ya, they see all don't they..
    in that shot, all that soldier sees are two super bright green screens, you can't use night vision during the day at all.

the new stuff we have looks way better than that old set up... we have way cooler gear

here's a good example of a current operators kit:

they move around on things like this:

(electric motorcycle, silent, fast, 70 mile range)

they have helmet mounted cameras:

and are fed up-to-date intel from drones, satellite or human gathered sources.

highly trained, disciplined and completely oblivious to the overall outcome/reason of their missions... that's how the military industrial complex gets things done.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bob (19th February 2014), Chanlo23 (20th February 2014), meeradas (19th February 2014), PurpleLama (20th February 2014), Shezbeth (19th February 2014)

20. Link to Post #14
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

"We see you" (and more)

From Photonics Spectra, a trade journal magazine that keeps up on key advances - or state-of-the-art optical systems.

"Light-based technologies offer the military significant advantages in sensing, communications and even weaponry.

The US Army has touted its ownership of the night – and the implied advantage therein. But times have changed.

“Nowadays, that’s not so much so because there’s a vast proliferation of night-vision technologies throughout the world,” said Gregory J. Quarles, chairman of the public policy committee of The Optical Society.

The 2012 report Harnessing Light for America’s Technological Future from the National Research Council outlines tomorrow’s military needs, noting that photonics and optics could play key roles in sensing, communications and weapons. These areas provide a guide for the intersection of photonics and defense over the next decade.

We see you

With regard to sensors, the military’s goal is to detect, recognize, identify and determine intent at greater distances more rapidly and with greater certainty. That requires exploiting more of the optical spectrum.

“The purpose is to utilize all information you can get out of a scene,” said Cees Draijer, senior program manager for defense, security and infrared at digital imaging solutions supplier Teledyne Dalsa of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada."

What analyzing all you can get out of a scene means, is that one takes:
    1) positional information, location and range, through anything that may be obscuring such as fog, smoke, rain
    2) target information (recognition of features of interest that one should call attention to)
    3) chemical makeup of the target (achieved by spectral analysis - i.e. stimulation of the target causes the target's molecules to generate a fingerprint, identifying the target's chemical makeup)
    4) computing a solution to deal with the target (use your imagination here)
    5) uploading/downloading the information to other components of the "team", (that could entail relay to base of operations, integration with drones, satellite data, databases to help in identifying unknowns)

"Another photonics-based chemical sensor comes from a group led by Ilana Bar, a physics professor at Israel’s Ben-Gurion University of the Negev.

"The team built a compact Raman spectrometer using a regular green laser pointer for excitation. Measurement of both liquids and solids takes only a few seconds, with explosive detection a possible application, according to a presentation at the 2012 Frontiers in Optics meeting."

The technology exists, and improvements are being made to reduce size and power requirements and increase the system's for field ruggedness.

Above is the basic block diagram concept of the Raman remote sensing system.

Above showing how the analysis technique can be applied to a BODY to get chemical data, "non-invasively", remotely

Army Raman spectral signature of Nerve Agent "VX" (not classified)

Typical Explosives Raman Spectral (optical) signature (not classified)

Typical Raman spectrum of Caffeine (coffee, tea, stimulant)

Typical Raman spectrum of Delta-9 "THC"

Typical Raman spectrum of two Alcohols

BTW, FOX news just reported on Cable TV, on some of the contents of this thread, Remote sensing, the testing of people coming INTO the US..

21. Link to Post #15
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

And can there be any counter-measures to such remote sensing systems, be it military, civilian (security), or security administratively originated?

What is a COUNTER-MEASURE

from Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countermeasure

"A countermeasure is a measure or action taken to counter or offset another one. As a general concept it implies precision, and is any technological or tactical solution or system (often for a military application) designed to prevent an undesirable outcome in the process. The first known use of the term is in 1923."

"Active" countermeasures alter the electromagnetic, acoustic or other signature(s) of a target thereby altering the tracking and sensing behavior of an incoming threat (e.g., guided missile) are designated soft-kill measures. Measures that physically counterattack an incoming threat thereby destroying/altering its payload/warhead in such a way that the intended effect on the target is majorly impeded are designated hard-kill measures."

"Passive" countermeasures can consist of camouflage, creating false "positives" in numerous locations, to overwhelm detection systems. Multiple directions, multiple signatures of varied types effectively overwhelms systems which require unique identification, and multiple locations bogs down any analysis system (similar to a ddos attack in computers).
    Last edited by Bob; 24th October 2015 at 22:36.

22. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

When we start using resources for the good of mankind and not the invasion of other countries , and the control of the citizens , we will make some progress ... Darpa and the DOD and the like, just need to be gone , we have enough weapons of war and mass destruction , we need peace , food , shelter , clean water , our leaders to abide by social contracts and laws applied equal to everyone ... It errks me knowing MY tax money is spent on killing weapons , and killing machines instead of ANYTHING that makes the world a better place for all ... all the dern money spent of defense , last time I checked nobody was attacking us , rather we were and are invading other countries for oil, minerals , and ancient artifiacts , plus staging areas for other future operations ... sick
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Bob (20th February 2014), Chanlo23 (20th February 2014), mosquito (20th February 2014), naste.de.lumina (20th February 2014), Shikasta (20th February 2014), TargeT (20th February 2014)

24. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    When we start using resources for the good of mankind
    Just imagine what the (publicly admitted) 650 BILLION dollars a year would do when used for good.
    Where are you?

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bob (20th February 2014), Chanlo23 (20th February 2014), conk (21st February 2014), mosquito (20th February 2014), PurpleLama (20th February 2014)

26. Link to Post #18
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Good observation GhostRider !

So I was going to ask the group next, after seeing now what is OUT THERE, what is being asked of the big manufacturing war-machine corporations to upgrade these things to the ultimate in "spyware"...

Two viewpoints to keep this balanced.

We've talked about this before, the first step is to rationally identify what is happening. I see with GhostRider's observation, the reason why such things are done, and why the things should not be done has been "seeded". Identify defines every aspect, paints the big and small picture, from all viewpoints. Doing that completes the identification step when that can be done. Are we up to it? Can we actually identify? I think we started the ball rolling with what's out there, what is contemplated, what direction is being planned..

Let's keep that as the method GhostRider touches on as the "rewire" the "harm before repair mindsets".. that must be addressed at some point, that is the bigger "macro picture". Rewiring is a philosophical term here. Rewiring can come from viewing the correct thought patterns, even trying to carry some out to "grove the matrix" towards ideal outcomes. How much can be rewired per chunk of thought readdressed? Who knows.. If one is wanting to give it a whirl, this is a good place, a "think tank" so to speak through the forum. Can we give it a whirl?

I pointed out in the previous post Counter-measures. So that plus the above paragraph are good starting points. Anyone?

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    When we start using resources for the good of mankind
    Just imagine what the (publicly admitted) 650 BILLION dollars a year would do when used for good.
    No question, you're picking it up too.. We did the first step, to point out what is happening, and it's pretty intense, no question..

27. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,845 times in 876 posts

Aha, money for BIC but reduced food stamps for kids and $5 million a years for a sports figure. Our priorities make me want to vomit!

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

Bob (20th February 2014), Chanlo23 (20th February 2014), GreenGuy (20th February 2014), TargeT (20th February 2014)

29. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member GreenGuy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 times in 424 posts

Quote Posted by grannyfranny100 (here)
    Aha, money for BIC but reduced food stamps for kids and $5 million a years for a sports figure. Our priorities make me want to vomit!
    Me too. What a travesty and sin that we have developed nearly godlike abilities in some areas, only to use them for evil purposes. I often think we don't deserve this planet, and it's likely nature agrees.
    Dammit, honey! You left the seat down again!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenGuy For This Post:

Bob (20th February 2014), Chanlo23 (20th February 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast