+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do people routinely slam doors?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,292 times in 744 posts

Default Why do people routinely slam doors?

I know so many people who routinely slam doors behind them, instead of using the door knob or handle to close the door quietly. I always feel there is some kind of covert anger being expressed - what does everyone else think? Is this passive aggression, or am I just over-reacting? It seems to be so prevalent lately!

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

Agape (21st February 2014), Crystine (21st February 2014), Flash (22nd February 2014), mosquito (22nd February 2014), Nasu (21st February 2014), Neal (22nd February 2014), Sunny-side-up (21st February 2014), TargeT (21st February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (21st February 2014), Wind (22nd February 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,034 times in 1,088 posts

Default Re: Why do people routinely slam doors?

Do you suspect a conspiracy?.... N

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

Crystine (21st February 2014), DeDukshyn (21st February 2014), Flash (22nd February 2014), Sunny-side-up (21st February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (21st February 2014), Wind (22nd February 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,292 times in 744 posts

Hahah! No, but I'd like to know that I am "reading" the situation correctly ( or not!
    Last edited by kirolak; 22nd February 2014 at 04:17. Reason: corrected spelling

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

Crystine (21st February 2014), Nasu (21st February 2014), Sunny-side-up (21st February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (21st February 2014), Wind (22nd February 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,716 times in 8,943 posts

Quote Posted by kirolak (here)
    Hahah! Bo, but I'd like to know that I am "reading" the situation correctly ( or not!
    i don't think you are. Unless you bang the door, there is not passive agressive here, just people in a rush, overwhelmed with stress or thinking, innatentive, for whom it is not important, name it.

I have had lots of kids with Attention Deficit Disorder, they all slam doors, often talk loud, etc. They are distracted, not present to a door. I am pretty sure Einstein did not only slam doors, he also left them open. As i have seen with my ADD kids lol

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

bmdb (21st February 2014), Crystine (21st February 2014), kirolak (23rd February 2014), Nasu (21st February 2014), Sunny-side-up (21st February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (21st February 2014), Wind (22nd February 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

I live in housing that doubles as low-income (not for me dangit) and disabled housing, so we have some fairly depressed people here.
    Lots of true drug addicts, etc. people otherwise trying to avoid the public.

I've lived in probably 4 different apartments before this one, and a couple rooms for rent, and some houses, etc.
    The door slamming in this housing project (away from the city) is worse than anywhere I've ever lived.

It seems like as people started giving more attention to their handheld devices and computers, i.e smart phone phenomenon,
    they started losing the ability to navigate conscious life gracefully/graciously.

Maybe it's not just the cell phone narcissism, but there has been a change, and I don't know if it's something that hicks and poor people do more,
    but there is 10x more door slamming here than other places I've lived.

Hope your door slammers stop.
    My last neighbor across the hall got moved downstairs, and she was very large/heavy and would slam the door because I think her butt stuck out farther than her arm could reach, meaning shutting the door properly would have thrown her spine out of its normal range of motion.
    So she abused our ears instead of compensating for her obesity.

I guess that could be linked to the anger you mentioned; this woman was extremely passive aggressive and had no problem accusing random neighbors of cigarette smoking inside, which we did not, yet she accused us and banged on our door, etc. She also only let her dog piss once per day, maybe twice, and the dog was always crying and the door was always slamming.

We also have a hick couple who honks their horn every time they come and go from the apartment complex parking lot. Another white trash behavior that makes me ashamed to be white, lol.

It's mostly the white people slamming the doors from what I can tell.
    The black couple who just moved in apparently don't slam the door, they just don't close it very quietly.

i've given a lot of thought to this issue, LMAO

sorry if I wrote too much!!

p.s. my son with autism shuts doors very gently unless he is running from someone. i think he might be sort of ADHD, but mostly just autism.
    He hates loud noises and covers his ears when the other kids are loud.

10. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

this is so topical for me. My 82 year old mother lives in a condo, surrounded by 7 other units. People constantly slam doors, even at odd hours. She gets so upset. It really is alarming to get this huge BANG at 1 am in the morning. One couple were especially hard on their door frame, constantly slamming, slamming, slamming. She told me that one night she had enough and got up and opened and slammed her door as hard as her frail arms could about 5 times in a row. The couple have not slammed their door again since. haha.

She had one neighbor that came home very late and played his bass heavy music until 3 or 4 in the morning. Not one to be trifled with, she awoke at 6 am (while he as trying to sleep) and turned her stereo on near full blast playing gospel music, then left the house for the grocery. Hehe, don't mess with mama!
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

11. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Crystine (21st February 2014), Earth Angel (21st February 2014), Flash (21st February 2014), hohoemi (22nd February 2014), Holly Lindin (21st February 2014), kirolak (22nd February 2014), Maunagarjana (21st February 2014), mosquito (22nd February 2014), Nasu (21st February 2014), Neal (22nd February 2014), Spirithorse (21st February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd February 2014), ulli (21st February 2014)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

I know so many people who routinely slam doors behind them, instead of using the door knob or handle to close the door quietly. I always feel there is some kind of covert anger being expressed - what does everyone else think? Is this passive aggression, or am I just over-reacting? It seems to be so prevalent lately!
    I completely agree, but rather than anger I attribute it to selfishness and laziness & perhaps a bit ego based (making sure their presence is noted).

I try my best to have as little un-intended impact on others as possible, this includes noise or even the awareness of my presence. I walk around quietly and ensure my actions are quiet and non-disruptive, I clean up after myself too, these things to me seem like common courtesy; but are anything but common.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

13. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Crystine (21st February 2014), Flash (22nd February 2014), giovonni (21st February 2014), hohoemi (22nd February 2014), Jean-Marie (22nd February 2014), kirolak (22nd February 2014), Lettherebelight (22nd February 2014), Maunagarjana (21st February 2014), mosquito (22nd February 2014), Nasu (21st February 2014), Neal (22nd February 2014), PurpleLama (21st February 2014), raregem (21st February 2014), Sophocles (21st February 2014), Sunny-side-up (21st February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd February 2014), ulli (21st February 2014), Wind (22nd February 2014)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,791 times in 463 posts

My Children leave the doors open all the time, I get sick of telling them to close them. I say to them I'm not paying to heat the street lol. My autistic boy is the one who slams them but he can't operate the door handles so he slams them to make sure it shuts. He hates loud noises unless it's him that is making them, that is when he loves them. When my children are angry and get sent to their room they slam the bedroom door and they stomp up the stairs but normally they are quiet with the doors. xxxxx

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pugwash84 For This Post:

Flash (22nd February 2014), kirolak (22nd February 2014), Nasu (21st February 2014), TargeT (21st February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd February 2014)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,123 times in 3,951 posts

Basically bad manners, lack of consideration for others, lack of mindfulness and maybe fear of the quiet !
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Flash (22nd February 2014), ghostrider (22nd February 2014), kirolak (22nd February 2014), Lettherebelight (22nd February 2014), mosquito (22nd February 2014), Nasu (21st February 2014), TargeT (21st February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd February 2014), Unicorn (21st February 2014), Wind (22nd February 2014)

18. Link to Post #10
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,175 posts

When you realize the answer to this question, you will realize you have the answer to every question.

Because they just don't care about what's behind them. Not the door, not the room they leave, not what occupies the space they have left. They just don't care.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by tesla_wtc_solution (here)
    i live in housing that doubles as low-income (not for me dangit) and disabled housing, so we have some fairly depressed people here.
    Lots of true drug addicts, etc. People otherwise trying to avoid the public.

I've lived in probably 4 different apartments before this one, and a couple rooms for rent, and some houses, etc.
    The door slamming in this housing project (away from the city) is worse than anywhere i've ever lived.

It seems like as people started giving more attention to their handheld devices and computers, i.e smart phone phenomenon,
    they started losing the ability to navigate conscious life gracefully/graciously.

Maybe it's not just the cell phone narcissism, but there has been a change, and i don't know if it's something that hicks and poor people do more,
    but there is 10x more door slamming here than other places i've lived.

Hope your door slammers stop.
    My last neighbor across the hall got moved downstairs, and she was very large/heavy and would slam the door because i think her butt stuck out farther than her arm could reach, meaning shutting the door properly would have thrown her spine out of its normal range of motion.
    So she abused our ears instead of compensating for her obesity.

I guess that could be linked to the anger you mentioned; this woman was extremely passive aggressive and had no problem accusing random neighbors of cigarette smoking inside, which we did not, yet she accused us and banged on our door, etc. She also only let her dog piss once per day, maybe twice, and the dog was always crying and the door was always slamming.

We also have a hick couple who honks their horn every time they come and go from the apartment complex parking lot. Another white trash behavior that makes me ashamed to be white, lol.

it's mostly the white people slamming the doors from what i can tell.
    The black couple who just moved in apparently don't slam the door, they just don't close it very quietly.

I've given a lot of thought to this issue, lmao

sorry if i wrote too much!!

P.s. My son with autism shuts doors very gently unless he is running from someone. I think he might be sort of adhd, but mostly just autism.
    He hates loud noises and covers his ears when the other kids are loud.
    tes i am so happy to see you here!

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Milneman For This Post:

Agape (22nd February 2014), Flash (22nd February 2014), ghostrider (22nd February 2014), Holly Lindin (21st February 2014), kirolak (22nd February 2014), Lettherebelight (22nd February 2014), Nasu (21st February 2014), Sunny-side-up (22nd February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd February 2014)

20. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Neither of my kids can close a door without slamming it or walk by a light switch without turning it on. LOL

It does get a little aggravating especially since I work shift work and sleep during the day at times. When I lived in a apartment I was downstairs and can safely say I couldn't hear the slamming doors over the constantly migrating herd of elephants.

Be safe, R2

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robertr2m For This Post:

Flash (22nd February 2014), kirolak (22nd February 2014), Nasu (21st February 2014), Sunny-side-up (22nd February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd February 2014)

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,321 times in 10,234 posts

I have the opposite issue. My brother and I are known for sneaking up on people. Well, we are accused of it, anyway. We don't even try. It's natural. We tend to move without a sound, in any environment.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Flash (22nd February 2014), kirolak (22nd February 2014), Nasu (22nd February 2014), pugwash84 (21st February 2014), PurpleLama (21st February 2014), Sophocles (21st February 2014), Sunny-side-up (22nd February 2014), TargeT (21st February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd February 2014), Wind (22nd February 2014)

24. Link to Post #13
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Question Re: Why do people routinely slam doors?

"I come from an Italian family. One of the greatest and most profound expressions...
    We would ever use in conversations or arguments was a slamming door...
    The slamming door was our punctuation mark" !

... Action ...

Destin Slamming Doors With Uncle T ...

More Door Slamming

Slamming Doors No More !

Last edited by giovonni; 21st February 2014 at 22:56.

25. Link to Post #14
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Thumbs up Re: Why do people routinely slam doors?

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    I completely agree, but rather than anger I attribute it to selfishness and laziness & perhaps a bit ego based (making sure their presence is noted).

I try my best to have as little un-intended impact on others as possible, this includes noise or even the awareness of my presence. I walk around quietly and ensure my actions are quiet and non-disruptive, I clean up after myself too, these things to me seem like common courtesy; but are anything but common.
    ... ...

26. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

The little boy slamming the door made me cringe, I just thought watch you don't trap your fingers. I always get like that with little children near doors. xxxxx

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pugwash84 For This Post:

Flash (22nd February 2014), giovonni (22nd February 2014), kirolak (22nd February 2014), Nasu (22nd February 2014), TargeT (21st February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd February 2014)

28. Link to Post #16
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    I have the opposite issue. My brother and I are known for sneaking up on people. Well, we are accused of it, anyway. We don't even try. It's natural. We tend to move without a sound, in any environment.
    I've startled people everywhere I spend time in... I'm very often told that I need a "bell"... haha i think it's funny personally, it SEEMS natural, but I'm definitely the odd man out (as I'm sure you and your brother are) I've never met someone else that acts like this.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Carmody (22nd February 2014), Flash (22nd February 2014), Jean-Marie (22nd February 2014), kirolak (22nd February 2014), Nasu (22nd February 2014), Sunny-side-up (22nd February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd February 2014)

30. Link to Post #17
    Mexico Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

THE SOUNDS OF LIFE

Such authority in the slamming of a door
    Such competence, it’s truly hard to ignore!
    The sounds of life are jarring and they mock me
    For I cannot write a single line of poetry!

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frederick Jackson For This Post:

Agape (22nd February 2014), Flash (22nd February 2014), kirolak (22nd February 2014), Nasu (22nd February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd February 2014)

32. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Maybe the sound of silence is so loud that they need a break from it before it consumes them. xxxxx

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pugwash84 For This Post:

kirolak (22nd February 2014), Nasu (22nd February 2014), Sunny-side-up (22nd February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd February 2014)

34. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,739 times in 1,371 posts

Quote Posted by Tesla_WTC_Solution (here)
    ..... and she was very large/heavy and would slam the door because I think her butt stuck out farther than her arm could reach, meaning shutting the door properly would have thrown her spine out of its normal range of motion.
    So she abused our ears instead of compensating for her obesity......
    Haha !! I can't get this image out of my mind, priceless !!

Isn't it strange - the Chinese are renowned for their noisiness, shouting and screeching at the tops of their voices regardless of the hour, regardless of the proximity of the intended listener, but ....... they don't slam doors. One of those teensy weensy little cultural quirks which I find fascinating. I honestly can't remember the last time I heard a door slam.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosquito For This Post:

Flash (22nd February 2014), Frederick Jackson (23rd February 2014), kirolak (22nd February 2014), Nasu (22nd February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd February 2014)

36. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,716 times in 8,943 posts

When I hear that, I think "ok, Mini Flash is angry" - this is an auditory exclamation point lol

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

giovonni (22nd February 2014), kirolak (22nd February 2014), Nasu (22nd February 2014), pugwash84 (22nd February 2014), Sunny-side-up (22nd February 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd February 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast