+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do people routinely slam doors?

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,358 times in 436 posts

Default Re: Why do people routinely slam doors?

People are ticked off because they remember the good ol' days when there were no doors. There was no violence or restrictions either.
    And if there did happen to be a door (rare) you could just walk straight through...

2. Link to Post #22
    Thanks

I think it's mostly lack of awareness. They are not conscious about the other people around them, nor the noise they are making. Perhaps mixed with indifference (in adults). I think that's the number one reason why communities of several apartments are rarely peaceful.
    In my opinion the problem with flats, etc. is that they are usually built with lowest legally possible standards as cheaply as possible to maximize income. Noise reduction is only secondary concern. You are expected to accept noise if you live in such place. Well built houses doesn't have to suffer from this.
    Last edited by Demeisen; 22nd February 2014 at 07:46.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demeisen For This Post:

kirolak (23rd February 2014), Sunny-side-up (22nd February 2014)

4. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member sirdipswitch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,166 times in 1,683 posts

Me quiet. Like quite. Love to walk in and just stand behind someone untill they turn around and see me. SCREEEEM!!! chuckle chuckle chuckle.

Hate slamin doors. First thing my kids learned. We don't slam doors. They didn't slam, when mad or upset... either. ccc.

Had a neighbor lady one time that was always doin it and I could hear her clear over at my house. Told her I didn't like it. She continued. I cut down her favorite Rose bush. Put it on her front step, with a note that said: "Don't like slamin doors". No more slaming doors. cc.

I do have a way of making my point... heard. However, I do really like people, no matter what they are like, or do, and am not just a complete but-head over getting my way, and so there is a happy ending to this story.
    The following spring, I went to a nursery and bought the biggest rose of the kind and color she had. I went over after she went to bed, and planted that rose in the same spot, so that when she looked out Sunday morning, there was her brand new rose. She ran over in her house-coat, and gave me a big hug and a kiss. Sure glad I cut that rose down. ccc.
    Love, Peace, Humor
    sirdipswitch

" A little knowledge, is a dangerous thing... so is a lot."
    - Albert Einstein -

"Please, Do NOT, believe a word that I say, for this is my journey not yours. Go do your own research. Listen to no-one. Find YOUR own Truth. As "I" did." "It is all just a Game, play it as you will."
    -sirdipswitch-

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sirdipswitch For This Post:

conk (24th February 2014)

6. Link to Post #24
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,819 times in 790 posts

I have been guilty of shutting the kitchen cabinets real hard. Four times in my 20+ years of marriage I have used this one technique to get my husbands attention. It works!! It is better than arguing and I will not yell at him.

-jean-marie

7. Link to Post #25
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,296 times in 1,783 posts

In the home I grew up in, which was very strict in spare the rod, spoil the child kinda way, slamming a door was a major offense.
    Last edited by Roisin; 23rd February 2014 at 00:22.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Roisin For This Post:

kirolak (23rd February 2014)

9. Link to Post #26
    Great Britain Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by kirolak (here)
    I know so many people who routinely slam doors behind them, instead of using the door knob or handle to close the door quietly. I always feel there is some kind of covert anger being expressed - what does everyone else think? Is this passive aggression, or am I just over-reacting? It seems to be so prevalent lately!
    Hi Kirolak,

In the TI world, this is generally referred to as a Noise Campaign. It's not the same as a child stomping off to her/his room and slamming the door though. It can also be an indicator of someone's frustration or annoyance at the person hearing the sounds acutely.

While I was in Asia, during a period of heavy stalking, people used to routinely slam hotel doors near my room. It was meant to unnerve me, perhaps by making me jump in my seat and distract me from whatever research I was doing. After long period of exposure to this type of noise campaign, it really can and does get under ones skin. They would also randomly knock on my room walls from their hotel or apartment rooms on either side of me... until I started knocking back... which really did upset them.

There are many variations on noise campaigns, but slamming doors is a favorite because doors are everywhere and cost nothing to use.

Usually I don't slam doors, and if I do I immediately stick my head back in the room and say, "Sorry!" (Unless I meant to, which is very rare.)

It gets to the point where even car doors outside your apartment slam and for some reason the noise seems particularly loud.

TIs call this a noise campaign, and meditation takes the edge off of it.
    Last edited by jamarchitect; 4th May 2014 at 18:37. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2