+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 10 20 LastLast

Thread: Sci Fi/ Fantasy Adult Chick Flicks

1. Link to Post #181
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,308 times in 5,717 posts

Default Re: Sci Fi/ Fantasy Adult Chick Flicks

Quote Posted by Delight (here)
    In 1974, cult film director Alejandro Jodorowsky attempted to create a big-screen adaptation of Frank Herbert's seminal science fiction novel "Dune." While the ambitious production collapsed after two years, Jodorowsky's team of then relatively unknown concept artists continued exploring the themes and styles started on the project and ended up changing modern science fiction forever.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/
    This is in Spanish and is wonderful if you speak Spanish

Psicomagia

IMO Alejandro Jodorowsky understands something about the genius of creating mythic story. He is a master of the observing function of true imagineering capacity. Art is a healing path for the practitioner. I think it can be true when art is viewed as a way to trigger unconscious information. So movies can be an active process.

"While living in Mexico, Alejandro Jodorowsky became familiar with the colorful and effective cures provided by folk healers. He realized that it is easier for the unconscious to understand the language of dreams than that of rationality. Illness can even be seen as a physical dream that reveals unresolved emotional and psychological problems. "

I hope to see his film The Dance of Reality, soon.

Quote Alejandro Jodorowsky (is the) the visionary Chilean filmmaker behind cult classics El Topo and The Holy Mountain. In the radiantly visceral autobiographical film, a young Jodorowsky is confronted by a collection of compelling characters that contributed to his burgeoning surreal consciousness. The legendary filmmaker was born in 1929 in Tocopilla, a coastal town on the edge of the Chilean desert, where the film was shot. Blending his personal history with metaphor, mythology, and poetry, The Dance of Reality reflects Jodorowsky’s philosophy that reality is not objective but rather a “dance” created by our own imaginations. http://danceofrealitymovie.com/

This reminded me of one of my favorites:

Meetings With remarkable Men.

Peter Brooks made a film fairly true to an account of Gurdjieff's reminiscences about various "remarkable men" that he has met, beginning with his father. They include the Armenian priest Pogossian; his friend Soloviev, Prince Lubovedsky, a Russian prince with metaphysical interests, and a couple of others.

In the course of describing these characters, Gurdjieff weaves their stories into the story of his own travels, and also into an overarching narrative which has them cooperate in locating spiritual texts and/or masters in various lands (mostly Central Asia).

found here

And that led me to remember Peter Brook's Mahabarata

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Agape (3rd September 2014), DeDukshyn (15th September 2014), Violet (27th October 2014)

3. Link to Post #182
    Thanks

Quote Posted by markoid (here)
    It might be available somewhere online.. I torrented it from PirateBay.
    Clever girl, wrote, produced and played lead role
    Definitely a chick flick

Brit Marling and Mike Cahill are both great IMO.

Quote "I Origins (2014)"

"I Origins" follows a molecular biologist whose study of the human eye points to evidence with far reaching implications about our scientific and spiritual beliefs.

Director: Mike Cahill
    Writers: Mike Cahill
    Actors: Michael Pitt, Brit Marling, Astrid Bergés-Frisbey, Steven Yeun, Archie Panjabi

Related to reincarnation...here is a documentary of what some call fantasy?
    Quote Unmistaken Child
    The Buddhist concept of reincarnation, while both mysterious and enchanting, is hard for most westerners to grasp. UNMISTAKEN CHILD follows the four-year search for the reincarnation of Lama Konchog, a world-renowned Tibetan master who passed away in 2001 at age 84. The Dalai Lama charges the deceased monk's devoted disciple, Tenzin Zopa (who had been in his service since the age of seven), to search for his master's reincarnation.

Tenzin sets off on this unforgettable quest on foot, mule and even helicopter, through breathtaking landscapes and remote traditional Tibetan villages. Along the way, Tenzin listens to stories about young children with special characteristics, and performs rarely seen ritualistic tests designed to determine the likelihood of reincarnation. He eventually presents the child he believes to be his reincarnated master to the Dalai Lama so that he can make the final decision.

Stunningly shot, UNMISTAKEN CHILD is a beguiling, surprising, touching, even humorous experience. Tenzin Zopa Tenzin Zopa was designated from a young age to be special and his childhood was similar to that of reincarnated masters. He was not allowed to play with monks his own age and was always in classes or with Geshe Lama Konchog (GLK) and the rest of the monastery heads.

part 1
    part 2

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Agape (17th September 2014), DeDukshyn (15th September 2014), markoid (13th October 2014), ponda (10th September 2014), sdv (27th October 2014)

5. Link to Post #183
    Thanks

If anyone has seen "On The Beach", the cold war post nuclear holocaust movie focused on relationships, this is like it in a way. It is a chick flick

Quote Brian Horiuchi's drama "Parts Per Billion(2014)" takes place while a pandemic wipes out a large portion of the planet's population. In this bleak atmosphere, three couples wrestle with what it means to love each other forever when death surrounds them. Penn Badgley, Alexis Bledel, Gena Rowlands, and Frank Langella co-star.

seen here

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

DeDukshyn (15th September 2014), markoid (13th October 2014)

7. Link to Post #184
    Thanks

"Deadly lessons (2014)"

Quote A mysterious college professor becomes the focus of a murderer investigation when he is framed by his rival, Dr. Crazx, a Pulitzer prize winning psychiatrist.

Deadly Lessons
    Last edited by Delight; 24th October 2014 at 00:39.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Delight For This Post:

ponda (18th November 2014)

9. Link to Post #185
    Thanks

"95ers: Echoes (AKA Time Runners) (2013)"

Quote Special Agent Sally Biggs has a secret. She can rewind time--a few seconds--whenever she wants. It's enough to make her a celebrity at the FBI and control almost everything in her life. But deep down, she's afraid of the pain that comes from the things no one can control. Her worst fears are realized when her scientist husband disappears mysteriously. Paranormal apparitions begin to surround her. Strangers with terrifying technologies know her secret, and want her dead. Her only clue is her husband's ghost--who she follows onto a battlefield she never knew existed. She must discover the awesome truth that ties all the mysteries together, before the fabric of her being--and the ones she loves most--fade out of reality.

95ers: Echoes

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Delight For This Post:

markoid (13th October 2014)

11. Link to Post #186
    Thanks

"The One I Love (2014)"

Quote The first night of Ethan and Sophie’s weekend getaway is picture-perfect: They make dinner, flirt, drink wine, and genuinely reconnect for the first time in ages. Then the high-concept twist shoots them into something that would make Twilight Zone creator Rod Serling proud. But it also goes beyond its first surprising bombshell. the one i love ingredients
    Quote The One I Love is an incredibly interesting drama about the mysteries of the human personality and the roadblocks marriage partners face as they struggle to re-establish the intimacy that was at the core of their relationship.http://www.spiritualityandpractice.c...s.php?id=26693

see it here

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Delight For This Post:

sdv (27th October 2014)

13. Link to Post #187
    Thanks

The following are definitely hyper romantic chick flicks. "The One I Love" reminded me about "The Enchanted Cottage (1945)"

Quote Oliver Bradford (Robert Young) is a young man who returned from World War II with severe facial scars; while he was engaged to be married before he left, he believes that no one could him now, and he lives on the brink of suicide. Oliver meets Laura Pennington (Dorothy McGuire), a plain young woman who is convinced that her looks will never win her a man. These two lonely people marry, more out of desperation than love. But love works its magic on them....

saw it here

Then The Enchanted Cottage reminded me of "Portrait of Jennie (1948)"

Quote “Eben Adams is a struggling artist in Depression era New York who has never been able to find inspiration for a painting. One day, after he finally finds someone to buy a painting from him, a young girl named Jennie Appleton appears and strikes up an unusual friendship with Eben.” (courtesy IMDB)

Read more: http://horrornews.net/66336/film-rev...#ixzz3H1hoeDLg

saw it here

14. Link to Post #188
    Thanks

"Rough magic (1995)"

Quote Did Harry Potter just go Film Noir? This oddly enchanting tale weds these two disparate elements; a classic crime story, with a shaman's journey of magical realism.
    epinions review

saw it here

"The Color of Magic (2008)"

Quote Set on The Discworld — a flat expanse of pseudomedievalism floating through space on the backs of four elephants supported by a monumental turtle of indeterminate sex — the story concerns the intertwined fates of two bumbling heroes: Twoflower (Sean Astin), a naïve but enthusiastic tourist, and Rincewind (David Jason), a dropout from Unseen University of Magic. NYTimes review

"The Princess Bride (1987)"
    Quote The Princess Bride, by managing to straddle a delicate line between both parodying and taking seriously the romantic sentiment of the fairytale, works enormously well. There is a wonderfully ebullient joy to it all – I don’t know a single person who has ever managed to not enjoy The Princess Bride
    The Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review

saw it here

15. Link to Post #189
    Thanks

Chick flicks are my preference but I have "enjoyed" some horror movies. I am entertaining that movies are therapeutic tools that help us release emotion and stimulate imagination.

I am a fear, fright, monster snob and turn my nose up at gratuitous and excessive gore.... I fault Lucy for this kind of "bludgeon us with the meme that life is cheap through excessive portrayal of senseless death" factor.

When I was very young, a few monster movies were unforgettable. I was horrified by King Kong, the atom bomb mutating gigantic ants (Them)

and all mythic monsters (Cyclops, animated skeletons, the snake headed stone turning Medusa and many other classic monsters). IMO the quality of the monsters in later movies started deteriorating to cheapen my experience. I think it was me BUT not just me. People deserve IMPORTANT monsters if we seek this kind of "release".

IMO we as movie appreciators may choose to know what the movies can achieve.

It turns out that Ray Harryhausen was the special effects creator for many of the scary movies I still respect. He died in 2013 at 92. His creatures were not trivial. They did not depend on rude gore and gross slime to scare. The emotions he stimulated took the feeling of horror to awe IMO: mythic. His work penetrated the imagination through stop motion techniques with scenes like this one....

"Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan (2011)" trailer

see it here

One of my favorites is here

Jason and The Argonauts (1963)
    Last edited by Delight; 4th November 2014 at 18:28.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Alien Ramone (1st November 2014), donk (27th October 2014), ponda (18th November 2014)

17. Link to Post #190
    Thanks

"The Physician (2013)"

Quote The film begins in England during the Middle Ages. A boy watches his mother die and no one can help. After all, there aren’t any doctors and medicine is extremely primitive. Having no place to live, he takes up with the closest thing they have to a doctor—a barber! The guy is very gruff and his knowledge of medicine is negligible but young Rob Cole (Thomas Payne) learns what he can from his new guardian—including very, very basic surgery, since in those days, barbers often supplemented their income with such procedures. Later, when Rob’s guardian loses his sight, a Jewish surgeon does cataract surgery! Rob is intrigued—where DID this man learn such advanced techniques? He learns that there is a medical school but unfortunately it’s in the East…in Muslim land. And Christians are NOT welcome there. So Rob comes up with a seemingly insane plan—to pose as a Jew and enroll in the school.http://1nfluxmagazine.com/the-physician/
    adventurous romantic fantasy and "retro science" fiction (hehe).

see it here

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Delight For This Post:

19. Link to Post #191
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Delight (here)
    Skeptics and the paranormal converge as better than average B grade horror presenting witches, voodoo and demons

"NIGHT OF THE EAGLE (1962)"
    Is it fair to stop your wife from practicing the Craft when she is only doing it because of those other witches after you?

Night of the Eagle was a Richard Matheson screenplay.
    I found a couple of others...

Here's a Richard Matheson screenplay of a Dennis Wheatley novel about ...the devil.

"The Devil Rides Out (1968)"

seen here

Barbara Eden was an Icon for me growing up in the 60's as a Genie. "The Stranger Within" was based on a short story by Richard Matheson. The story anticipated (don't want to spoil it).........

"The Stranger Within (1974)"

seen here

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Delight For This Post:

donk (4th November 2014)

21. Link to Post #192
    Thanks

This is not far out sci fi but actually close in sci fi and is a chick flick but men may relate also... I say it goes with the thread. Feelings tied up in something so far away.....

"The Heart Machine (2014)"
    Quote regarding humankind’s emotional disconnection in the midst of a digital media explosion. On the continuum of films about gadget-enhanced lifestyles, “The Heart Machine” lies somewhere between the AOL love letter “You’ve Got Mail” and the more cautionary “Her” on the issue of what effect all this technology is having on society.rogerebert.com

saw it here

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Delight For This Post:

23. Link to Post #193
    Thanks

I think Cypher might already be posted as it was a movie I liked very much. Cube I had seen but I missed Nothing and Haunter...all from Vincenzo Natali.

Quote Vincenzo Natali is one of a group of modern (late 1990s onwards) filmmakers whose films draw themselves not from the influence of modern cinematic blockbusters but from the work of science-fiction writer Philip K. Dick..... These are films that move away from outward spectacle and turn inwards, constantly questioning the nature of reality and personal identity, often taking the view that what is perceived is an elaborate illusion that has been created for the purpose of fooling the protagonist. Vincenzo Natali’s films draw strong influence from Dick’s games of illusion and identity and the good old conceptual New Wave science-fiction “what if” exercises regarding what might happen if the world were changed in some fundamental way. http://moria.co.nz/sciencefiction/cypher-2002.htm
    Cube (1997)

seen here

Cypher (2002)

saw it here

Nothing (2003)

seen here

Haunter (2013)

see it here

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Delight For This Post:

25. Link to Post #194
    Thanks

1. Life Tracker (2012) has an original premise. the execution of 'found footage" style makes sense in the context. It is not a perfect horror sci fi relationship film but worth watching....

Quote When Dillon (Barry Finnegan) hears about a company, Life Tracker Limited, claiming that it can utilize DNA to predict someone’s life, he is intrigued. Driven forward by his friends’ criticisms that he never finishes anything he starts, Dillon commits to making a documentary with his friend Scott (Matt Dallas), and Scott’s girlfriend Bell (Rebecca Marshall), about Life Tracker. As the days go by, however, Life Tracker’s profile grows as the technology progresses, and Dillon finds himself smack-dab in the middle of an increasing personal crisis.

Read more: http://www.filmthreat.com/reviews/72839/#ixzz3In829i7j

here

2. Sci Fi shorts at Short of the Week including this one Similo

Quote 2065. The entire planet is hit by the effects of climate change. One of the few places that remain habitable is Antarctica, where big corporations have built private cities. Hebe and Ciro get back together again. She is looking for love. He is searching for his own identity.
    Quote Similo started as a simple yet ambitious idea: to make a realistic science fiction love story. The combination of these two aspects, "science fiction" and "realism", was quite an exciting challenge for us.

showcase(s) some of the political and sociological issues that we’re going through right now: climate change, wealth concentration, consumerism, human isolation...about similo
    3. A documentary about the artist Brion Gysin's Dream machine device that alters consciousness (or not)? Interesting in the look at Brion Gysin's interest in helping people to see differently. mentions the people around him Like William Burroughs plus artists who used it. You can make with a cardboard cut out and old fashioned turn table.

This vision led Brion Gysin to make the dream machine.

Quote "Had a transcendental storm of colour visions today in the bus going to Marseilles. We ran through a long avenue of trees and I closed my eyes against the setting sun. An overwhelming flood of intensely bright colors exploded behind my eyelids: a multidimensional kaleidoscope whirling out through space. I was swept out of time. I was out in a world of infinite number. The vision stopped abruptly as we left the trees. Was that a vision? What happened to me?"
    Extract from the diary of Brion Gysin, December 21, 1958
    - See more at: http://briongysin.com/?category_name....4j6h1oRK.dpuf
    Quote The Dream Machine was a device built by Brion Gysin and Ian Sommerville while living in the Beat Hotel in Paris in 1960. They were attempting to stimulate the brains alpha patterns with a rythmic strobing light effect and produce a natural high. The machine is quite possibly the only work of art meant to be looked at with your eyes closed.

Quote This short video shows Columbia University’s Dream Machine being setup, turned on and functioning. - See more at: http://briongysin.com/?p=451#sthash.Zk9olsHr.dpuf
    Last edited by Delight; 11th November 2014 at 20:22.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

annacherie (15th November 2014), ponda (18th November 2014)

27. Link to Post #195
    Thanks

Bound to be a cold weekend here in the southern USA. I remember more movies to rewatch ..... super natural in various way.

"Into the West (1993)"

Quote If I were to tell you that "Into the West" was about two boys and their magical white horse, you would of course think it was a children's film. But it is more than that, although children will enjoy it.www.rogerebert.com

to be seen here

Quote PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK
    The critical recognition of Australia's film industry in the late 1970s can, to a large degree, be credited to the works of Peter Weir..... films such as PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK and THE LAST WAVE exhibited a peculiar and fascinating mystical quality that revealed a distinctive sensibility. Unfortunately Weir's decidedly personal vision is often rather murky.

PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK recounts the strange story of three girls and a teacher from a Victoria finishing school who go missing from a school picnic while exploring nearby Hanging Rock on St. Valentine's Day, 1900. /picnic-hanging-rock/review

may be seen here

"The Last Wave (1977)"

Quote Richard Chamberlain stars as Australian lawyer David Burton, who takes on the defense of a group of aborigines accused of killing one of their own. He suspects the victim has been killed for violating a tribal taboo, but the defendants deny any tribal association. Burton, plagued by apocalyptic visions of water, slowly realizes his own involvement with the aborigines…and their prophecies.http://www.criterion.com/films/685-the-last-wave

may see it here

This might be good...have not watched it yet....

Playing Beatie Bow (1986)

Quote A discontented Sydney teenager travels back in time to 1873, whilst watching an old fashioned children's game. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091766/

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

annacherie (15th November 2014), Kindling (17th November 2014), ponda (18th November 2014)

29. Link to Post #196
    Thanks

This movie is one I have and really enjoy still and I found a link...it is the quintessential chick sci fi flick romcom.

"Happy accidents (2001)"

Quote Only the most adventuresome filmgoers will be patient and open-minded enough to follow the zigzags and outrageous leaps of whimsy in this romantic comedy written, directed, and produced by Brad Anderson (Next Stop Wonderland). But, rest assured, those who go with the flow will be amply rewarded in the end.http://www.spiritualityandpractice.c...ms.php?id=3086

can see it here

Peggy Sue Got Married (1986)"

Quote What would you say, knowing what you know now, to the people you loved when you were 17? How would you feel if you picked up the telephone, and it was your grandmother's voice? Would you tell her she was going to die in another two years and three months? No, but you would know that, and wouldn't your heart leap into your throat? And wouldn't she wonder what was wrong with you, that you couldn't respond to her simple hello? "Peggy Sue Got Married" provides moment after moment like that.Roger Ebert

saw it here

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Kindling (17th November 2014)

31. Link to Post #197
    United States Avalon Member Kindling's Avatar
    Thanks

Delight, I just absolutely love this thread. I have found some movies that are jewels I can't believe I missed and revisited some I've seen already but had forgotten about. Very entertaining stuff for these cold days . I really appreciate all that you and others have shared!!

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kindling For This Post:

Delight (1st December 2014), ponda (18th November 2014), thunder24 (18th November 2014)

33. Link to Post #198
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

A family's favorite of mine: The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=DAhmCHnNcWs

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AuCo For This Post:

Delight (1st December 2014), Kindling (18th November 2014)

35. Link to Post #199
    United States Avalon Member Alien Ramone's Avatar
    Thanks

Last edited by Alien Ramone; 17th December 2015 at 19:06.

36. Link to Post #200
    United States Avalon Member Alien Ramone's Avatar
    Thanks

Last edited by Alien Ramone; 10th December 2014 at 11:22.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Alien Ramone For This Post:

Delight (11th December 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 10 20 LastLast